Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2609 2610 [2611] 2612 2613 ... 3518

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3669823 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #39150 on: September 05, 2020, 11:59:39 am »

For me it's not as much that he doesn't respect the military, I don't respect the military either (though I can make an exception for the wars where we were actually fighting for something), but his logic for not respecting the military isn't coming from any principled stance but an inability to contemplate altruism in any form. 

He's not saying soldiers are suckers because they got roped into being security guards for halliburton. He's saying "I will defect 100% of the time in any game theory scenario, and I can't imagine why anyone would cooperate, because I have no theory of mind."
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39151 on: September 05, 2020, 12:30:12 pm »

There's really no way for Germany to win WWII without abandoning reality. The USSR could have beaten them alone, given an extra year or two.

The defeat of fascism through war is more effective than any other way, because it disproves fascism on its own grounds. Fascists don't believe in words and theories even though they sometimes use those things, what they believe defines truth is power and cruelty. To show a fascist that they are powerless and treat them as such is to shatter their ideology, at least for a time.

And yeah, Trump is a busted slot machine when it comes to these things. You'd think getting an excuse to cut off America from the rest of the world and assume emergency powers would be tasty as fuck to him, but he just can't help himself even when a pragmatic opportunity arises such as in the form of letting Fauci handle all the boring nerd shit while he gets to take the credit. It's too much to even allow someone else a single slice of the winner's pie when you need them in order to get the pie at all.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39152 on: September 05, 2020, 05:28:03 pm »

I wonder what would have happened had Hitler won WW2. Fascism might have played out and failed on its own merits as opposed to simply being beaten into the ground, inoculating the entire world against that brand of stupidity forever.

Though, now that I think about it, WW2 probably would have never ended if the Allies didn't win, fascism seems to require enemies to exist, and so the Nazis would have simply gone on to continue fighting the rest of the world, and then eachother, and then themselves, until nobody was left.

The problem is, the side that won and had fascists on it. The war wasn't going to have much of an effect politically either way.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #39153 on: September 05, 2020, 07:36:15 pm »

Clearly we need a worldwide tradition of beating fascism into submission every 50 years.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39154 on: September 05, 2020, 09:12:40 pm »

Clearly we need a worldwide tradition of beating fascism into submission every 50 years.
[cyberpunk music intensifies]

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #39155 on: September 05, 2020, 09:14:41 pm »

Yanquis: Not all American soldiers are childkillers
American soldiers:

EDIT: I can't wait for the enlightened American progressives in here to explain how this good old boy is an anomaly and that not ALL American soldiers are cowardly, raping, aggresive thugs who have a monopoly on violence against people who can't fight back. I can only hope that those fucking cops you lads hate go on to treat you like your fucking childkiller boys treat people abroad.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 09:24:57 pm by Cheesy Honkers »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #39157 on: September 05, 2020, 09:17:35 pm »

No, that good boy who just wanted an education is threatening to murder children because that shit is hilarious and his God-fearing Christian patriot buddies cheer him on

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39158 on: September 05, 2020, 09:31:58 pm »

No, that good boy who just wanted an education is threatening to murder children because that shit is hilarious and his God-fearing Christian patriot buddies cheer him on
And I fully support it. Next question?

Cheesy Honkers

• Bay Watcher
  • eat the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #39159 on: September 05, 2020, 09:41:58 pm »

And I fully support it. Next question?
That's it, luckily. God bless.

Quote from: Donald Trump
“Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.”

Based Trump has a better take on the American military than 'progressives', vote for my boy 2020

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39160 on: September 06, 2020, 01:38:38 am »

To be clear, I wasn't trying to do a blanket condemnation of everyone who enlists in the military earlier.  I just don't agree with America's troop worship culture.  There's nothing honorable, noble, or altruistic going on there.  At best and most charitable, a drafted soldier who dies in combat is equally tragic as a civilian casualty, and no more deserving of memorialization.  One who wasn't drafted is frankly less tragic, because they met their fate by choice, while the civilian didn't.

And everyone who piled in about the mundanity of most military work was only reinforcing that point.  If they're just normal people taking an opportunity for material reasons who hope never to see combat, then why is that deserving of special heroic memorialization status beyond that of civilian who dies as collateral damage?

IMO, garbage collectors really get shafted here.  They do a shitty job for shitty pay that's consistently rated one of the most dangerous, but also an essential public service.  Give them some memorials.

"Don't join the military because it makes you a sinner" is not the right way of looking at this to begin with, both because capitalism does stain our entire species by that standard and because Protestant moral theory is no more reasonable now than it has ever been.

Of course, if you actually commit or order a war crime yourself that doesn't apply, which is the real lesson - the best way to not commit war crimes is to never join the military.

The true objective behind objecting to the military should always to be damage the cultural standing and acceptability of the military and of imperialism, because this is an actually effective path to limiting how much imperialism actually gets carried out and thus to reducing the amount of people murdered to keep the empire running.

I agree with what you say in terms of practical approach to discourse on the military.  Out in meatspace around co-workers or whatever, I keep my opinions completely to myself.

But I don't think that's really necessary here, and while capitalism and other aspects of modern society force everyone to participate in unethical systems, there's a real difference between run-of-the-mill working a job as a cog in the wheel of exploitation and working the job that involves shooting at anyone who threatens the wheel.  Being on the "we feed all" level of this pyramid is not ethically equivalent to being on the "we shoot at you" level, and we shouldn't bother pretending otherwise on somewhere like this thread.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah nah, an Army Imam/Chaplain, a canteen assistant who did nothing but peel potatoes or a logistics officer that spent their 8 years managing inventories, a fucking doctor who does the exact opposite of efficiently killing someone e.t.c.
Vast majority of US armed forces roles will never see combat. Plus the nature of war itself has changed, a USN sailor or pilot for example is probably not going to fire a single shot at any Chinese or Russian personnel any time soon, but they are going to maintain the capability. The primary objective of all the US armed forces is not to be lethal, it is to project power & not be fucked up by its own imposing bureaucratic size, opposing information control & electronic warfare. In cases like Iraq and Afghanistan the US army focuses on training the local military and police forces, not on killing Taliban or ISIS. So even in these examples the command structures are focused on doing different things, it doesn't help to be reductive

This is true, but take it to its logical conclusion.  The military-industrial complex keeps on going, and the number of soldiers continues to drop until literally no one is ever looking down their sights at someone and pulling a trigger anymore.  It's all remote or automated technology.  War still happens and hundreds of thousands of civilians are killed.  No single person bears responsibility for the direct action of killing someone.  But for every piece of machinery that does do the killing, there are dozens of people working to maintain the machine and the logistical infrastructure to deploy it.  Do we extend your sentiment to mean that none of those people are responsible for what the machine does?

A personal story on this note.

My ex has been cycling through boyfriends pretty quickly since we separated, and has a tendency to attract military guys.  I worked with one of them to help her move some stuff, and my kid asked him that day if he'd ever killed anybody.  The guy laughed and responded lightheartedly that he hadn't.  He went on to explain that he was an artillery operator.  He loaded and fired giant guns into combat zones from miles away.  So yeah....... never killed anybody.  He seemed pretty comfortable with that.  And then whipped out his phone and showed off some video of him operating some sort of artillery weapon during a training drill, and talked about how many times they could fire per minute like it was really cool stuff.

I'm glad that relationship didn't last long, so my kid wasn't exposed to any more of that.  I understand the guy was probably just coping as necessary to not hate himself.  But then to teach someone else's kid that's how ethical responsibility works... I was mortified.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:44:48 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #39161 on: September 06, 2020, 04:07:32 am »

My ex has been cycling through boyfriends pretty quickly since we separated, and has a tendency to attract military guys.  I worked with one of them to help her move some stuff, and my kid asked him that day if he'd ever killed anybody.  The guy laughed and responded lightheartedly that he hadn't.  He went on to explain that he was an artillery operator.  He loaded and fired giant guns into combat zones from miles away.  So yeah....... never killed anybody.  He seemed pretty comfortable with that.  And then whipped out his phone and showed off some video of him operating some sort of artillery weapon during a training drill, and talked about how many times they could fire per minute like it was really cool stuff.

I'm glad that relationship didn't last long, so my kid wasn't exposed to any more of that.  I understand the guy was probably just coping as necessary to not hate himself.  But then to teach someone else's kid that's how ethical responsibility works... I was mortified.

There is something darkly funny about the anecdote. Reminds me of Tom Lehrer's "Wernher von Braun" song
"Once zhe rockets are up who cares where they come down?  That's not my department" says Wernher von Braun
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39162 on: September 06, 2020, 05:05:36 am »

This is ... I have no words

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/05/politics/michael-cohen-book-trump-white-house/index.html

Trump's disdain for Obama was so extreme that he took his fixation a step further, according to Cohen: Trump hired a "Faux-Bama" to participate in a video in which Trump "ritualistically belittled the first black president and then fired him."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39163 on: September 06, 2020, 05:27:59 am »

This is true, but take it to its logical conclusion.  The military-industrial complex keeps on going, and the number of soldiers continues to drop until literally no one is ever looking down their sights at someone and pulling a trigger anymore.  It's all remote or automated technology.  War still happens and hundreds of thousands of civilians are killed.  No single person bears responsibility for the direct action of killing someone.  But for every piece of machinery that does do the killing, there are dozens of people working to maintain the machine and the logistical infrastructure to deploy it.  Do we extend your sentiment to mean that none of those people are responsible for what the machine does?
I think the politicians sending American deathbots into foreign countries absolutely bear responsibility for the action, it's what being an accountable leader means

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39164 on: September 06, 2020, 06:38:45 am »

Pages: 1 ... 2609 2610 [2611] 2612 2613 ... 3518