Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gardening thread!  (Read 1382 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Gardening thread!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 11:16:45 am »

That was quick

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 10:59:33 am »

My sunflowers have sprouted, and then I left them in the sun with a plastic container over them (meant to contain the humidity).

Left them out too long and they got steam cooked. I don't think I have a green thumb.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 01:23:55 pm »

Dunno if this counts, but we have a peach field at my house, once the peach trees actually grow fully (1-2 years from now), they will churn out 500ish pounds of peaches if we do it right :P
(thats for the entire growing season in peaches, not like in a week or month, we only have 70 of the things, and im just listening to what my dad spouts out)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 01:55:18 pm »

Some self-sown tomatoes are actually doing really well in the secondary bed. It's weird, because the spinach is thriving there as well, but it never gets watered and the tomatoes on the other side fruited and then gave up the ghost, despite getting water. I don't know if it's because it gets a little more shade, if the soil is better, if the well point leaks a little below the surface, or something else entirely.

Dunno if this counts, but we have a peach field at my house, once the peach trees actually grow fully (1-2 years from now), they will churn out 500ish pounds of peaches if we do it right :P
(thats for the entire growing season in peaches, not like in a week or month, we only have 70 of the things, and im just listening to what my dad spouts out)

He's probably not wrong. You can collect kilos of the things off a single tree, speaking from experience.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • light
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 03:26:26 pm »

I have half a story. I bought a "sprout" pencil off of Kickstarter, which has a seed in the nub for when you're done you can bury it to grow a plant. I stuck it somewhere I can't remember where after I was done with it so there's half a story! I think it was tomato..
Awesome With Autism

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2017, 10:32:01 am »

I have half a story. I bought a "sprout" pencil off of Kickstarter, which has a seed in the nub for when you're done you can bury it to grow a plant. I stuck it somewhere I can't remember where after I was done with it so there's half a story! I think it was tomato..
May I trouble you for some pictures of this seed pencil?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 03:36:15 am »

May I trouble you for some pictures of this seed pencil?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/democratech/sprout-a-pencil-with-a-seed

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: I'm starting a garden!
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 12:06:55 pm »

Today has been a marvelous day of gardening, albeit, with some desperation attached.
Herbacious purple flowering things have taken over the patches of garden once occupied by ubiquitous mint plants and wild strawberries - lamenting the loss of the strawberries, I was most surprised by the loss of the mint plants, which I had never imagined could have ever been replaced. I did manage to find one last mint plant which I have been cutting and replanting out of hopes of bringing it back outdoors, when I noticed its leaves withering and dying. Upon closer inspection, I noticed many aphid nymphs sucking it dry - I have given them a loving send-off with lots of gin, and I hope a gin and mint cocktail is as good a way to die as any.

My forsythia appeared dead for most of this season, but I always keep around most dead potted plants for a few years just in case they were dormant or reproducing underground. Sure enough, the seemingly dead plant sprouted loads of beautiful yellow flowers and green leaves, so I have learned more about forsythias.

My nepenthes, pitcher plant, has been suffering immensely for a year now. I had nursed it into a massive, bountiful state, repotted it into its largest pot yet and things would have continued well had I not entrusted it to the care of an arrogant gardener whilst I was on holiday. I had told them three simple rules which would ensure its continued health: Use only the rainwater I had provided, do not move it from its current position unless it is being exposed to direct sunlight, and never ever put it outdoors or under the direct sun. I find out three days in that they had moved it outdoors under the direct English summer sun during a heatwave. I was absolutely furious and by the time they had rectified that situation, I returned home to find the damage was immense. All but one branch had been irreparably burnt, while the last branch had its apical meristem eaten and burnt, meaning that although the branch had survived with moderate burning, it would no longer grow any further and was a dead end. Slugs had eaten it, there were aphids on it, I had very little hope of reviving it. In the days following it I was awoken by the sound of scraping and found slugs had actually continued breeding inside my pot even after I had brought it indoors. Also a potato plant grew out of it, which is a story I covered in another thread.

Nevertheless, today as I added more soil to it and deliberated whether it was worth my daily care, I have had some hope. I began cutting off all the hopelessly damaged leaves - something I had deliberately avoided for as long as possible in order to not risk infection of the last branch, but the appearance of two new young branches and a fungal infection on all three of the last branches has prompted me to act lest I lose every leaf. I suspect there may be a slug still somewhere owing to the presence of mucus, but despite all my vigilance, checking every corner of the pot with my fingers, I am yet to find any. Today I found a helpful sign of a centipede scurrying about - if there are slugs left, the centipedes will eat them. Likewise with a toothbrush, tissue paper and a mix of water and washing liquid, I have had great success in removing all the dust, crust and fungus on the remaining "healthy" leaves, which I hope should keep the open cuts I made from getting infected. Of course the greatest sign of hope is that the whole plant is alive at all, my biggest fear when cutting the dying leaves off was that I'd find them dry, but the phloem and xylem are both working and wet with sap, meaning that despite its beleaguered looks, the plant is still soldiering on.

In orchid news, my orchids are doing wonderfully, flowering. Orchids are great flowers, impossible to kill really.
A lot of my cactuses can attest to the same. One cactus gift was supposed to be "temporary" (dying soon after, it's encased in sand that has been glued together so I can't repot them), but it's nearly two decades old and I've just repotted some of its cuttings (accidentally cut after it got caught in a window). Another bulbous cactus which was a gift to me when I was a mere babe needs repotting, but it too is alive, and although I've only seen it flower once I'm determined to reproduce it some time in the future. My aloe vera, another "temporary" gift to me, is still alive and beginning to overcrowd its little glass jar and will need repotting into an actual pot. Another cactus has been cut and is regrowing into a new cactus, although I bloody dislike this one as it has hooked barbs that pierce gloves and is nearly impossible to handle. And some flower I got for Christmas, another "temporary" gift, although I do not know what it is, was supposed to die after flowering. It flowered thrice and after the flowers died, immediately started growing new flowers!

I have also moved my white flowers to the garden, where I lost one to squirrels or birds. I have since moved a broken chinese pot over their bulbs, with the pot giving the impression of being buried most aesthetically into the soil, protecting the rest of the bulbs from being dug up. The holly plant is burgeoning still, the passion vines are infernally growing tall, the mosses bountiful and the sunflowers beginning to sprout after the last year's dead stalks were cleared. The palm trees are all right, a load of other flowers whose existence I had forgotten have sprouted everywhere, and even the bees are returning. Of the indoor passion vine I keep for my sister, that one has been growing two ft a month and I've had to wind it around itself to stop it from invading the ceiling. Of the bamboo I keep for my friend, I have stealthily extracted one bamboo and made a cutting of it, with the long term plan of growing myself some bamboo from it before they retrieve it. My venus flytrap has been doing very well, as after it seems I failed to grow any of its seedlings, I attempted to grow it by cutting its flower stalk off and growing it from there. Whilst trying to cut the flower stalk, I accidentally pulled the whole flytrap out - which is when I learned flytraps grow by rhizomes, as although I had planted one flytrap, I was now in possession of two flytraps, with a smaller one being left behind.

I left the smaller flytrap behind in its native pot, full of natural mosses and fungi from the low-quality soil I had put it in. I collected all the low-quality soil from various pots and when I exhausted that, from my neighbours, who were more than happy to relinquish their worst soil to my purposes. It's actually rather beautiful, seeing all the little mosses and fungi with the flytrap in the centre, giving the impression of a quiet boggy corner of a wet forest, with aesthetic rolling clumps of green and even patches of orange. The flytraps have not seemed to be bothered by the tiny little vegetation all around it, and so I am considering moving some of the soil culture to the pot where I have placed the mother-flytrap, which has been made with a relatively sterile cactus soil, and besides some rogue passion vines I am going to kill or give away, only has the mother-flytrap sitting happily within it. I'll probably move both flytraps outdoors in June and July, as the flytraps love being in the sun and rain, and rapidly devour the local fly population (which seems to have no experience dealing with the foreign flytrap).

My aquarium plants have been doing extraordinarily well. But then again, as long as you keep the water quality and lighting right, they'll grow immensely well all year round. The only hiccup has been the removal of many snails and fungus-coated leaves, but other than that, all is well. I do harbour ambitions of finding some corner of the world where I can increase my gardening ambitions, though I imagine I might have to wait decades and also move abroad to do so. Whilst talking to an American, I was immensely pleased at what I heard Americans have access to, and do, in regards to gardening. It is mainly the scale - Americans have access to all climates, and vast tracts of land, making it possible for American "gardens" to be the size of Belgium and be largely wilderness.

I am very much of the opinion that the best garden is the one which needs very little human interference, and the best garden is the wildest one you can get before it starts trying to kill you. I remember just last week I was joking with this American and a Malaysian gardener, when one of them talked about a wild plant that had showed up in their garden. It was "all plants are wild plants if you leave them alone long enough."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2018, 02:31:06 pm »

Went down to the garden store on the other end of London, one I had to trek through an hour of suburbs to find inside of an alleyway. They had done a spectacular job of it - it was the kind of alleyway that would fill with abandoned rubbish, men and drug dealers, a concrete artery fit only for the weeds to reclaim - and these gardeners had transformed it entirely. The entire row was bustling with end upon end of plants and flowers, bees and fluorescent lights hanging overhead, and along the way I accidentally spaghetti'd about balding in front of a bald gardener much too loudly. Nevertheless, my embarrassment aside, I found the compost and pot I needed to rehouse my dearest cactus, in addition to a sundew plant to complete my collection of carnivores, and best of all - a lavender plant. The lavenders are great bee magnets and I used to have a whole shrubbery of it, until it was killed by creeping vines many years ago. But if all goes well, I may see lavenders return to my garden again!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2018, 03:13:46 pm »

I've heard that yarrow is supposed to be another one that bees and butterflies go gaga over, in addition to just generally being the overachiever of the herb world.

I'm curious if anyone has tried keeping a nightcrawler terrarium over/alongside a traditional compost heap. I've been considering the possibility of one, not so much because I garden (which I currently do not), but because I'd like a better way of dealing with random food scraps and such. I don't produce enough organic waste to get a bag ready for garbage sorting before the bag rots through, but I get a foul conscience for throwing scraps away in the unsorted bin.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 04:40:30 pm »

What's the need for a terrarium? Wouldn't they be fine with just any large bin or box? Don't think worms are terribly picky with their housing

*EDIT
I suppose keeping a terrarium of creepy crawlies might be interesting from the observation point of view. I could definitely envisage doing so with a more active animal like the woodlouse, but I would keep any such installations outdoors.
Also day 2 of treating my mint plant to gin, and I have switched to bison grass vodka just so I don't use the last of my gin. Both gin and vodka seem to be equally effective at eliminating aphids, as after the first day all the adults died and on the second I observed only a few stragglers who must've been hiding under leaf. One more day of martini treatment and all the aphids should be gone, though I might invest in rubbing alcohol and a spray just to make sure they don't come back
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:56:56 pm by Loud Whispers »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 07:12:08 pm »

In Kentucky the 2018 gardening season has begun, despite spring being unusually cold this year. I've got plenty of vegetables going already - peas, fava beans, spinach, kale, radishes, and the garlic I planted last fall. My perennial herbs have started growing again too - sage, thyme, oregano, garlic chives, lemon balm, and anise hyssop. My rosemary died in the winter, but I bought a new rosemary plant to replace it already, and some lavender.

I'm very excited for my flowers this year. Last summer I got some irises from my grandma (which she got from her mother) and now they're putting up a ton of flower buds. My geraniums and phlox are spreading nicely, and my yucca is getting bigger. My hostas didn't die over the winter, which I'm happy with because I made some big mistakes with them last year. One got too much sun and the leaves burned, so I had to transplant it a second time to a shadier area, but luckily it's been thriving since then. The other yucca got planted next to my lamb's ear, which is a mint, so it completely overtook the hosta and nearly killed it. But this year it's putting up some healthy growth, so I've got to rescue it from the lamb's ear in the next couple weeks and find a new place for it.

Honestly, a big lesson for me this spring is that perennial plants are a lot harder to kill than I thought. My lilies of the valley didn't visibly grow at all last year after they were transplanted, and I assumed if they didn't have enough energy to grow, they didn't have enough to survive winter, but they're coming up bigger and stronger than last year and putting out adorable tiny flowers.

Spoiler: lily of the valley (click to show/hide)

Turns out plants have a will to live! Don't underestimate them. Also pictured on the left are my columbines, which I thought were an annual, but the foliage survived through the winter and they just kept growing. Underneath the lilies is some creeping Jenny, which has started filling in empty spots between flowers very nicely. And on the right are black-eyed Susans, which are the hardiest plants in the garden (except maybe the wild violets).

The success with last year's perennials has inspired me to get started on some new ones this year, so I've already planted some asparagus crowns and begonia bulbs. And I just bought some strawberry plants, but I haven't put them in the ground yet.

snip

Keeping a worm habitat instead of a regular compost pile is definitely a thing. It's called vermiculture. Generally the container is opaque, because people don't want to see their food garbage, but I'm sure you could make one with a transparent container if you want it to double as a terrarium because worms are cool. I've seen tutorials on how to make them out of plastic bins.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 07:13:45 pm by penguinofhonor »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 08:05:51 pm »

I'm curious if anyone has tried keeping a nightcrawler terrarium over/alongside a traditional compost heap. I've been considering the possibility of one, not so much because I garden (which I currently do not), but because I'd like a better way of dealing with random food scraps and such. I don't produce enough organic waste to get a bag ready for garbage sorting before the bag rots through, but I get a foul conscience for throwing scraps away in the unsorted bin.

I've plumbed a vermiculture tank into a flood and drain aquaponics setup before; it works well, provided you keep the temperature and humidity at optimal levels and routinely drain off any leachate.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2018, 07:38:11 am »

Hang on LW, did you plant mint outside straight into a garden?

Everything I know about gardening (Which is to say, everything my mum's mentioned, I've seen online, and that I've overheard from the TV) has said that mint's utterly fucking mental when it's not potted. It can and will invade every last bit of the garden. You may have actually dodged a bullet there what with the aphids.

Unless you were going for a giant mint patch, in which case...
Opposite way around, I used to have mints absolutely everywhere for the reasons you mentioned, but they got outcompeted by a newcomer after some weird weather patterns fucked them up. I brought the last sample I could find indoors where I've found it close to death, my martini bath of it has fucked it up some more but they're still alive while the aphids are not :P
The end goal is to find somewhere in my garden for them to infest later. Or maybe just keep them in a pot

*EDIT
Just finished a whole day's of gardening in the sun, rare to find the sun out this nicely. Got everything I needed, triple filtered all of my rainwater and snow melt from black to brown, brown to grey and grey to flawlessly clear. First through a cloth, then through cloth, tissue and cotton (big mistake, the tissue tore apart immediately), then through layers upon layers of cotton. Definitely would recommend just keeping it to one filtration through cloth then a second through cloth and cotton. Removed a fermented snail from my rainwater.

Repotted nearly all my cacti. In particular, repotting my most beloved cactus was an intriguing challenge - it was as old as I was, and subsequently had grown to fit the size of its pot. Desperately trying to pick it up and move it, failing to avoid pricking myself repeatedly, I succeeded in moving it by putting the pot on its side and gracelessly dragging it with spade and hook into its new pot. Managed to fill in all the soil around it by keeping it wedged with the hook while I poured in new soil over it, and watered the soil to better allow it to fill in and support its new home. Mission success, but costly to my hands - I really should be more concerned with handling dirt with any open wounds.

Repotted and repositioned all my indoor flowers to be more aesthetically pleasing and sun-catching. Orchid flower jutted up to splay all of its purple-streaked white majesty to the viewer, moved my aloe vera in with this beautiful little shrubby herb, added pebbles and rocks everywhere, planted a little bit of moss and a bamboo stalk in with my mother flytrap colony... What else. Oh yes! Used the depleted soil of a dead chili plant to repot my sundews, whilst also moving all the woodlice outdoors. Put my lavendars on a pedestal made out of plant pots.

In regards to mints and aphids, my mint has lost its aphids through liberal dosage of vodka and gin, however it may have died? Time will tell. But I have found another one of and spent an hour and a half manually removing aphids from them. This one was more mature than the tiny specimen I found earlier, and revealed to me its secrets: I realized from the root hanging at right angles to its neighbour, that the mint plants were reproducing through underground tubers, and were dying due to a combination of aphids, fungus, unusual winters and these new herbaceous plants blocking their root growth.

Manually killing aphids is the kind of work I consider boot shining work. It's simple, time-consuming and repetitive, but when you get good at it it can be oddly calming and mind-focusing, a certain kung fu. I would search leaf and stem (my aphids appear to favour stem) for aphids and their nymphs, and when finding them, dip my forefinger in vodka, pick them up, then dip them in the vodka. I repeated this process finding many hidden in the folds between leaf and stem, some on the leafs, and even one that had moved into the roots after I uprooted the plant. I believe I have gotten every single one, but I will check again tomorrow after I have gotten more sleep. As of now, the mint plant sits submerged in a water-filled quarantine box, which if there are any more aphids left, should kill them. Any parts of the plant I found fungus or nymphs on I just excised completely, in case they had eggs on them, but they shouldn't be laying eggs this time of year. If I find any more aphids on my first or second branch of mint after my zealous efforts, I will just have to cast them away - while the aphids are still flightless, they're relatively safe indoors, but I know the bastards grow wings when they're done killing one plant and that means they could infect all of mine. Fingers crossed I have succeeded. I have heard from other internet posters that instead of disposing of the aphids by dipping them in alcohol, I should crush them, as they release pheromones which indicate to other aphids the plant is habitated by predators, thus deterring them. Is this true?
I am even tempted to remove the entirety of my first batch, boil the soil and replant the new one. I hope I'm not going overboard in this - my biggest worry is that if even one egg or nymph escapes my attention, it'll turn into hundreds that will spread into my other plants.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 08:26:38 pm by Loud Whispers »
Pages: 1 [2]