Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 74219 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #225 on: February 27, 2017, 07:39:34 am »

I have terrible performance problems.
Looking at your current avatar, this is either understandable or not at all understandable, depending on how far out of context you take this...  ;)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 27, 2017, 07:41:43 am »

I'm hard-pressed to think of a game that doesn't exist.

Golden Sun 4.
Game, set, match.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2017, 07:44:42 am »

https://videogamena.me/
"Jackie Chan's Sex For Kids"

To be honest, it's easy to think of virtually infinite possible games that don't exist. Because you just make something completely random or about a topic / mechanic nobody would touch.

If you can't think of any, that's because you're constraining your mental search space with too many criteria of what you think is a "proper game".
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:46:37 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2017, 07:59:01 am »

Hell, some of it's just stuff people haven't gotten around to doing again. I'd love to see a 2017 ogre battle, or a new game inspired by chaos seed. More games that play hard off that one gravity switching NES platformer I can never remember the name of. All sorts of stuff like that. Prolific as games are, there's still a lot of shit they either haven't touched much or at all. Somewhat less applicable to mods, but the things still easily offer material that just isn't available outside modded games, or doesn't have something else out there of equal or better quality. Just because there's something available elsewhere that a mod does, doesn't mean that something isn't complete shite.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 08:00:37 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 27, 2017, 11:15:40 am »

Gravity switch?
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV, right?
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 27, 2017, 11:29:23 am »

Uh. Not even remotely. Does have a similar mechanic but they're very, very different games in just about every other sense. One I was talking about was a platformer where your character was a mech with a gun that could invert gravity, probably from back in the 90s/late 80s. Old NES game, pretty bloody neat for its time. Never can remember what it was called.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2017, 03:36:23 pm »

Here is one: Saudia Arabia's regime is worse than the Taliban.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 27, 2017, 04:46:01 pm »

Here is one: Saudia Arabia's regime is worse than the Taliban.

I don't know if thats even an unpopular opinion, just very underreported on. Why? Probably because of close ties with the US. It was the same way with Hussein. We didn't give a fuck that he was a dictator, we just got mad that he decided to stop fighting Iran--though he wasn't all that successful at that anyways.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 27, 2017, 04:51:12 pm »

he wasn't all that successful at that anyways.

Perhaps the goal wasn't for him to be too successful. After all as soon as he got too stronk, we took him out. And USA was also caught selling anti-tank weapons to the Iranians during the war.

No, the goal as always was to embroil the region in permanent war as it makes a good market for one of the key US exports.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 27, 2017, 05:24:48 pm »

Perhaps. But keep in mind that it's still the Cold War at this point and both the USSR and the US supplied Iraq with arms. Its a strange situation to be sure, but it wouldn't make sense for the US to weaken its only ally in the area. Especially right on the back of Iran becoming essentially a Rogue State--most literally in this case, as it fell outside of both the US' and the USSR's spheres of influence. No doubt the US wanted to see Iran actually defeated and returned to a bastion of capitalism in the Middle East. The USSR also would have vested interest in seeing the revolution defeated--both the monarchy and the republicans weakened in the same few years? What better time to introduce communism.

The USA would not want an Iraqi occupation of Iran certainly--but it would want to see Iran defeated, and frankly, it seems more like inept tactics and officers are what drew out the war rather than arms supplied to either sides.

Also it would be far more lucrative (for the US) to see Iran returned to pro-American/western leadership.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 27, 2017, 06:37:25 pm »

There was a bit like that in Lord of War:

Simeon Weisz: I don't think you and I are in the same business. You think I just sell guns, don't you? I don't. I take sides.
Yuri: But in the Iran-Iraq War, you sold guns to both sides.
Simeon Weisz: Did you ever consider that I wanted both sides to lose?

Anyway, unpopular idea, at least around these parts: Supplying the Mujahedeen during the Soviet invasion was not only a good move politically, it was a good deed vis-a-vis peoples' right to self-determination.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 27, 2017, 06:49:26 pm »

My unpopular idea regarding that is that people are really eager to equate the mujahdeen to the Taliban because it helps the "dae AmeriKKKa?" line and fail to recognize that the mujahdeen were a generalized group of resistance fighters who aren't all the same, and while they contained the proto-Talibs they also contained what would go on to become the Northern Alliance/United Islamic Front who were against the Taliban.

The NA also was partially lead by Ahmad Shah Massoud, who was probably the single greatest hope for Afghanistan. Well-respected and wanted to bring the country closer to modern standards. He was assassinated two days before 9/11 and attempted to warn the US that it was being planned, though he did not know the details. Incidentally, Osama bin Laden said of him that "as long as this man lives, we will never be victorious".

So by "idea" I more mean something along the lines of "fact".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 27, 2017, 07:00:45 pm »

I don't agree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Republic_of_Afghanistan

The PDPA came to power through a coup known as the Saur Revolution, which ousted the government of Mohammad Daoud Khan. Daoud was succeeded by Nur Muhammad Taraki as head of state and government on 30 April 1978. Taraki and Hafizullah Amin, the organiser of the Saur Revolution, introduced several contentious reforms during their rule, the most notable being equal rights to women, universal education and land reform.

So the evil leftists removed a dictator from power (who had assassinated the previous dictator) then they did things that enraged the islamists such as women's rights and education funding.

So in other words backing the Mujahedeen as promoting "self determination" is in fact a red herring, as the other side in the war were in fact morally preferable.

The Russians in fact had desired to stay out of things, but they'd signed a mutual defense pact with the current government of Afghanistan, and when that government had come under attack, they had demanded Soviet aid. BTW:

Najibullah pursued a policy of National Reconciliation with the opposition, a new Afghan constitution was introduced in 1987 and democratic elections were held in 1988 (which were boycotted by the mujahideen).

Oh right, so they HAD democratic elections and power sharing even during the 1980s but the Islamists refused to get involved. So much for us supporting the forces of self-determination and democracy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 07:10:25 pm by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread
« Reply #238 on: February 27, 2017, 07:08:06 pm »

To be fair, the Soviets did fall upon an Afghan president who stopped following the script. Much as they did in Prague.
Russians aren't big on letting neighbours do their own thing, regardless of whichever guys are in power. Were doing this shit back when they still had Tzars, and they keep doing it with Bad Vlad. Nothing new under the sun.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 27, 2017, 07:13:19 pm »

Unfortunately that sentence works just as well if you replace Russia with America, and insert the names of places USA has meddled in, which is a bigger list.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 57