Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57

Author Topic: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.  (Read 73866 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Unpopular/Controversial Ideas Thread.
« Reply #570 on: March 17, 2017, 10:24:34 pm »

Here's my unpopular Stephen King opinion:

You may or may not have heard of Rage, which was published under the Richard Bachman pseudonym. The reason you might not have heard of it is that King pulled it from publication. The reason you probably have heard of it is the reason he pulled it -- the book is not about King's usual fare but is in fact entirely about a school shooting. Unlike most such pulls, there is even semi-good reason to believe that a specific shooting was inspired by the book.

The problem here is that, in my opinion, this is the best thing King has ever written. It is a perfect book about the failures of society towards teenagers as well as an amazingly tense hostage drama. You know how people repeat the nonsense they were told in English class about Catcher In The Rye and how it's a breakdown of all society's bullshit? Rage is actually that book. I'd assign it as standard reading if I had the power to do so.

Fun Fact: I read Rage while in high school. Not concurrent with going to high school, while I was physically in my high school. That probably could have gone over badly, in retrospect.

I thought the early stuff he released as Bachman was all kind of preachy.  There were some parts where it really hit you over the head with what it was trying to say.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 17, 2017, 10:37:44 pm »

Preachy or not, Rage is one-of-a-kind in topic as far as I've seen (and I don't mean the shooting part). I admit I might not like it as much if I read it for the first time now, but as a teenager it was exactly the book to be able to look past the shitiness of being a teenager and progress mentally. Also, a book who's setting is entirely "a group of high school students held at gunpoint in a small room for 200 pages" will probably hit you over the head inevitably.

somethingsomethingmetaphoricalrejection
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 18, 2017, 04:34:11 am »

Tegmark's MUH

Goes from mathematical universe hypothesis to the multiverse. Not necessarily too controversial, but some people might definitely disagree.
One wheel short of a wagon

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • You got this. —Dad
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #573 on: August 25, 2017, 11:13:21 am »

I feel more attached to the characters in Iron Fist than other Netflix marvel shows.
I even really like this show and it's been really weird. Now I will say I knew it was unpopular going in so that probably affected it. I watched it with my sister and we finished watching the first season just really wondering why people were upset. I then went on to watch Luke Cage and while I really liked the tone of that show I have to say Iron Fist and it's characters even its 'villains' I felt a lot more of a connection and interest in their immediate ongoings. It's also Madam Gao's strongest representation, which is expected because it's also her latest.
I enjoyed Jessica Jones a lot, but I definitely felt far-flung and removed from that comic book vibe. It almost felt like an extra.
Daredevil I'm just slowly chugling my way through. When I first saw it I thought it was a bit corny a few years back but now I'm really liking it.
Defenders really pointed out this contrast to me I definitely was more interested in any of the characters that had appeared at some point in Iron Fist.
Awesome With Autism

You are a kind and gentle spirit.. You are not the bad things you feel about yourself. —Mom

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 25, 2017, 11:39:04 am »

Unpopular idea: Treating human corpses like anything other than Meat,Fertilizer, or Health Hazards is absurd and a waste of time and reasources, with the possible exception of murder victims.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: August 25, 2017, 11:43:58 am »

Unpopular idea: Treating human corpses like anything other than Meat,Fertilizer, or Health Hazards is absurd and a waste of time and reasources, with the possible exception of murder victims.
good meat https://youtu.be/t37KyWUZFPo
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 25, 2017, 11:44:25 am »

What about using them as the subjects of scientific experimentation and/or as medical cadavers? There's actually a lot of good that could come of having corpses donated to large -omic studies being de rigueur. That and we could refer to it as necroinformatics, which is just cool.

On a more serious note, that's not universally unpopular; Vajrayana Buddhists, for example, would canonically agree that there's no need to preserve a person's corpse, for which reason they practice sky burial (among other things) to make best use of it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 11:47:42 am by Trekkin »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 25, 2017, 12:35:51 pm »

I have always felt the taboo on cannibalism is rather overrated.

It was always my impression that the tribes doing it ate the dead with great dignity and respect. It was a way of passing on the strength of the deceased person unto yourself.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 25, 2017, 12:39:03 pm »

(Basically, yes, but it seems like King just took the "use more words" part and ran with it.)

Wait, what? Are you serious? King is incredibly colloquial. His stories are almost always more blue collar, and the characters more relatable than the elitism you get in lovecraftian stories. His stuff is about as simple as it gets!
I mean it's just so many fucking words and for what? The only idea of his I really found interesting was the Langoliers, and I didn't even read it, just saw some of a horribly overlong movie and dug the "weird toothy maws that clean up all the moments you aren't in" concept.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 25, 2017, 12:57:55 pm »

It was always my impression that the tribes doing it ate the dead with great dignity and respect. It was a way of passing on the strength of the deceased person unto yourself.

Perhaps, but there's a number of serious health hazards equated with humans consuming human flesh iirc, including a particularly nasty prion.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 25, 2017, 01:00:12 pm »

If you count brains as flesh sure. I don't, I only count skin muscle and fat as "flesh" or at least that's how I've usually used the term. *shrugs*.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 25, 2017, 01:05:39 pm »

If you count brains as flesh sure. I don't, I only count skin muscle and fat as "flesh" or at least that's how I've usually used the term. *shrugs*.

My mistake, I thought the rest of the body was dangerous too.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 25, 2017, 01:29:03 pm »

There's PRPsc in skin, muscle, and fat too; eating brain tissue increases the rate of the disease, but it's certainly possible to contract kuru without eating any brains at all.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 25, 2017, 01:37:59 pm »

Someone has spent some time in a tanning salon, methinks.

One starts getting a hankering for a big roasted soccermom sammich!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 25, 2017, 02:03:28 pm »

Perhaps, but there's a number of serious health hazards equated with humans consuming human flesh iirc, including a particularly nasty prion.

Only if you eat sick humans anyway. Who the hell would do that. If you go long pork, go for free range, healthy humans.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 57