Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Roll To Split Time: Lets Kill Off The Protagonist Again 10 More Times  (Read 4141 times)

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Split Time
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 02:57:27 pm »

Story:
10: Do(check personal stability)
No matter what time line you were in, you realize that you were the one to cause tragedy. You are very shaken up.
20: Do(press both buttons simultaneously)
int ActionRoll = rng(1d6) => 6

The Screen Has The String 'T001' Lit Up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You hit both buttons. Much too your surprise, nothing happens. Maybe the buttons cancel each other out?

The Screen Has The String 'T101' Lit Up.
You try to hit both buttons at once but miss and end up hitting a nearby passerby. You are promptly punched back. You stumble but manage to remain upright.

The Screen Has The String 'T011' Lit Up.
You hit both buttons. Much too your surprise, nothing happens. Maybe the buttons cancel each other out?

The Screen Has The String 'T111' Lit Up.
You try to hit both buttons at once but miss and end up hitting a nearby passerby. You are promptly punched back. You stumble but manage to remain upright.
30: If (both buttons were press by me simultaneously in I timeline I have been in)=false; Goto(20);
Error 404: Command Not Found
Do(abandon device)
int ActionRoll = rng(1d6) => 4

The Screen Has The String 'T0001' Lit Up.
You look at the chaos surrounding the frozen man but suddenly you find your self reeling on the ground along side him. The last thing you ever see is someone that looks like a mirror image of yourself taking the device from you. TIME LINE  'T0001' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T1001' Lit Up.
You throw the device but apparently, you have poor aim. You throw the device straight up and it lands on your skull. Besides cracking your brain in, the blue button on the device is also pressed. You turn into a blue deathsicle. TIME LINE  'T1001' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T0101' Lit Up.
You throw the device at the passerby. It hits him in the head, knocking him out. He is a few feet away from the frozen man. You move away and try to recollect your thoughts. That's when you notice a familiar weight in your pocket... The device has mysteriously reappeared there.

The Screen Has The String 'T1101' Lit Up.
You throw the device at the passerby. It hits him but it not anywhere vital. He engages you in a street fight and goes on to bust your brains in. Literally. TIME LINE  'T1101' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T0011' Lit Up.
You slip the device into someone's pocket while they aren't looking. You aren't sure who's pocket. Just as long as it's anyone but you. You dodge into a side alley but unfortunately for you, you are stabbed from behind. You see what seems to be a doppelgänger of yourself just before you die. TIME LINE  'T0011' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T1011' Lit Up.
You throw the device but apparently, you have poor aim. You throw the device straight up and it lands on your skull. Besides cracking your brain in, the blue button on the device is also pressed. You turn into a blue deathsicle.  TIME LINE  'T1011' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T0111' Lit Up.
You throw the device at the passerby. It hits him but it not anywhere vital. He engages you in a street fight and goes on to bust your brains in. Literally. TIME LINE  'T0111' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T1111' Lit Up.
You throw the device at the passerby. It hits him but it not anywhere vital. He engages you in a street fight and goes on to bust your brains in. Literally. TIME LINE  'T0111' HAS ENDED.
Do: acquire knife.
int ActionRoll = rng(1d6) => 5

The Screen Has The String 'T00101' Lit Up.
You secure for yourself a well forged dagger. This can easily be concealed on your person and can be used quite well as a weapon.

The Screen Has The String 'T10101' Lit Up.
You look for a dagger. You suddenly find a dagger... In your ribcage. The last thing you see is what looks to be a mirror image of yourself... TIME LINE  'T10101' HAS ENDED.

Do: search for somebody named time.
int ActionRoll = rng(1d6) => 5

The Screen Has The String 'T000101' Lit Up.
With the combination of dagger and general problem sleuthiness, you succeed in locating the one known as "Time". Time is muttering something about needing a new tailor. he doesn't notice you yet.

The Screen Has The String 'T100101' Lit Up.
As hard as you search, you can't find Time. To make matters worse, you think that you are being followed.

Do(Find selves in other timelines to work with);
[Secret Rolls for the next 3 actions]
You do not know of any other timelines. Not to mention that you could never get along with yourself. You would see all of your flaws in them and then you would have no one to blame but yourself.
Do(Loot dead selves in other timelines);
Once again, you do not know of any other timelines. That being said, even if other versions of you existed how could you ever hope to access them. You would some kind of time manipulation device to do that. Or you know, a very good tailor.
Do(Open device);
You fiddle around with the device for a few moments before you manage to open the device. As it turns out, it doubles as a smart phone. There is another screen on the inside. This one has a warning message.

ERROR 0: Time Regulator Chip Damaged.
Please Contact Your Local Tailor At Once.

Do (RNG(1d1) (All));
You rolled a 1 in every time line. Did you crit succeed or crit fail?
Rng(6d6));
Rng(1d20+1d6));
Rng(1d100));
You rolled a 22 followed by a 5 and a 69.

Commands:
Do(Action);
Do(Action, Time);
Kill(Time);
Rng(diceNotation);
//the variable Time is used to indicate a given time line. time lines are designated based on what string is lit in a time line.
//Example diceNotation, 1d6 + 1 will roll a d6 and add 1 to that value.
//More Commands May Be Added As They Become Necessary
Notes and Lore:
-Some actions are considered free actions and will not split time. Some Scholars theorize that free actions exist in split time do to the unstable nature of time lines stuck within split time. Given that the more a time line splits, the more likely that one or more of its branches will destabilize, time will sometimes find some actions to be minute enough that split time will merely recycle itself back into the same time line. This is also caused whenever an actionRoll has a value of 3.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:08:08 pm by star2wars3 »
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 03:11:49 pm »

I hope you enjoyed that turn as it took me around 2 hours to write everything (and edit formatting). I forgot how hard it is to manage time lines, especially when they're dieing off left and right.
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 03:27:30 pm »

Do(carefully lay the device on the ground, making sure not to hit any of the buttons)
Do(walk away from the situation as if nothing is out of the ordinary)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 03:37:41 pm »

Do: (stab time repeatedly)
100101Do: ambush follower.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 04:05:01 pm by ziizo »
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 03:55:50 pm »

10:Do(be hungry);
20:Do(nut);
30:Do(find tailor)
40:If (tailor found)=false; Goto (30);
50:Do(present device to tailor);
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 04:03:00 pm »

Do(Hulk Smash Device!)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 07:12:21 pm »

...What? How did "abandon device" create that many timelines? Why did we kill each other by throwing the device at ourselves so many times in all those timelines? Hm. Time for some observations.

Observations:
1: We seem to get a -1 penalty to the Death roll for every other timeline that exists other than the one the action takes place in. This penalty is applied based on when the action takes place, so later actions become easer or harder based on how many deaths happened earlier that turn. Also, splits caused by the same action seem to occur simultaneously for the purposes of this check.
2: Timelines appear to be numbered in binary. The following quote is the seemingly the only exception. We didn't have a T000, T0000, etc yet. Possibly just an authorial mistake. T0 is almost certainly our initial timeline before we picked up (or maybe just before we used) the device.
The Screen Has The String 'T00' Lit Up.
You press the blue button but unfortunately for you, you chose the wrong time line. You start to get colder, colder, colder. Your limbs lose all feeling. How ironic that someone is still burning just a few feet away. You need to sleep. You just put your head down for a little while... TIME LINE 'T00' HAS ENDED.
3: We have a compulsion to kill any other version of our self we see. Protagonist, this isn't Highlander! You need every bit of help you can get!
4: This one is more speculative. With every action, a timeline is possibly created for each outcome. Failure, success, etc. That doesn't quite explain the insanity that occurred last turn though.

My 3 actions were secret rolls, and did not merit a screen update. That might mean I'm on the right track. I'm not sure of the next step though. Everybody, try not to create too many trivial timelines, as it seems to get us killed.

With that, some actions! If I'm making you roll too many dice, tell me. I'll tone it down.
Do(Check phone contacts);
Do(Check phone messages);
Do(Try to recall how we got in this situation);
rng(1d10);
rng(2d10);
rng(3d10);
rng(4d10);
rng(5d10);
rng(6d10);
rng(7d10);
rng(8d10);
rng(9d10);
rng(10d10);

Edit: Wasn't expecting direct answers like that. Ah well, nice to have them though.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:33:22 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 07:42:09 pm »

@Person:
@1: That's basically the formula for if a time line is doomed. Any death roll of a 0 or lower dooms a time line. If all timelines would be doomed or would die normally then I roll a die and the number rolled corresponds to the time line that lives.
@2: T0 exists. It is indeed the original timeline as far as you are aware. I have indeed been using binary to keep track of timelines just because it makes gm-ing this possible.
@3:  ;D
@4: you may want to read the info in the Notes and lore section. It should hopefully help clarify things slightly.
@all: probably no turn tomorrow because I need to finish a research paper.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Split Time, Tailor Tails
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 07:30:08 pm »

Story:
100101Do: ambush follower.
At the moment while you think that you're being followed, you don't know where your tail is. As a result you have no way to ambush your follower.
Do(carefully lay the device on the ground, making sure not to hit any of the buttons)
Do(walk away from the situation as if nothing is out of the ordinary)
int ActionRoll = rng(1d6) => 2

The Screen Has The String 'T0000101' Lit Up.
You decide that you have to get rid of the device however you can. However, before you have the chance, you find that the device has been stolen from you. Your heart stops. And by stops I mean freezes. Perfect for Valentines day? TIME LINE  'T0000101' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T1000101' Lit Up.
You try to lay the device on the ground and walk away but before you get more than a few feet away you see someone who looks just like you run past you. Within a moment, you find that you are have been cooked. Literally. TIME LINE  'T1000101' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T0100101' Lit Up.
You decide that you have to get rid of the device however you can. However, before you have the chance, you find that the device has been stolen from you. Your heart stops. And by stops I mean freezes. Perfect for Valentines day? TIME LINE  'T0000101' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T1100101' Lit Up.
You place the device on the ground and walk away. It reappears in your pocket.
Do: (stab time repeatedly)
You still haven't found Time yet so how could you possibly stab him? You make a mental note to stab time the next time you see him.
10:Do(be hungry);
20:Do(nut);
Spoiler: Hunger Roll (click to show/hide)
You think you may want to eat later but for now your hunger is fulfilled. (Since you have eaten nothing in any timeline and Hunger is based upon when you last ate food, there is  no time split here)
30:Do(find tailor)
int ActionRoll = rng(1d6) => 6

The Screen Has The String 'T01100101' Lit Up.
You succeed in finding not just one tailor but an artist square filled with around a hundred different tailors. Each selling their own unique products. Did you have a specific tailor in mind or were you just interested in browsing?

The Screen Has The String 'T11100101' Lit Up.
You wander around searching for a tailor but you only find trouble. You get cornered by a gang who asks you to hand over all of your money.
40:If (tailor found)=false; Goto (30);
ERROR 404: Command Not Found
50:Do(present device to tailor);

The Screen Has The String 'T001100101' Lit Up.
You present the device to one of the many tailors and she tell you that she only accepts normal money for her wares.

The Screen Has The String 'T101100101' Lit Up.
You present the device to one of the tailors with an especially strange line of outfits. She hands you a small folded up slip of paper and tells you not to look at it until your in a less crowded area. You wonder what could be written on it.

The Screen Has The String 'T011100101' Lit Up.
You put your hands up and beg the gangsters to spare your life. They look through your pockets and see that the only thing you have is the device. You beg them to take it and spare your life. The gangsters laugh and say, why would we want that. We can't sell it for money so its worthless to us. The gangsters kick you a few times before heading off to search for more potential targets.

The Screen Has The String 'T111100101' Lit Up.
You say that you don't have any money but you do have a rare device. Upon seeing the device, the gangsters get in a worse mood than usual and pummel you ruthlessly for an hour before they leave. A few minutes later while you bleed out on the pavement a figure approaches. You are startled to see that this mysterious figure looks like you. You are even more startled to see your doppelgänger stab out your eyeballs. TIME LINE  'T111100101' HAS ENDED.
Do(Hulk Smash Device!)

The Screen Has The String 'T0001100101' Lit Up.
You decide to leave the artist square. There are so many tailors there that you probably could never find the one you were looking for any ways. Whoever that was again. Shortly after you leave you are ambushed by someone who looks like your mirror image. They crush your throat and spill your blood. TIME LINE  'T0001100101' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T1001100101' Lit Up.
You drop the device on the ground but it doesn't break. A nearby pedestrian picks up the device and hands it back to you. "Excuse me but you dropped this." You thank the pedestrian for the return of your property and continue to explore the Artist's Square. Maybe another tailor can help you?

The Screen Has The String 'T0101100101' Lit Up.
You debate on smashing the device but decide that that would probably end badly. Instead, you exit the artist's square and head to a nearby alley. Perhaps this would be a better place to read the note?

The Screen Has The String 'T1101100101' Lit Up.
You drop the device on the ground and it lands on the red button. Suddenly all of the shop stalls go up in flame. You are trampled to death in the ensuing chaos. TIME LINE  'T1101100101' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T0011100101' Lit Up.
You try to smash the device onto the pavement but you only end up mashing its buttons. First, you receive a severe case of brain freeze. Then you make like the frozen food you have become and get nuked. And that's why you should always be wary of frozen pizza. That isn't tomato sauce you're eating... 'T0011100101' HAS ENDED.

The Screen Has The String 'T1011100101' Lit Up.
You throw the device at the pavement and the red button gets pressed. a nearby dumpster spontaneously combusts. There is a small explosion and then a frozen pizza tipped with fresh flames whizzes out of the dumpster and smacks you in the face. Your hair and clothing gets lit on fire, followed by the rest of your flesh. Did I not warn you about the dangers of frozen pizza? Did I not warn you? 'T1011100101' HAS ENDED.
Do(Check phone contacts);
Do(Check phone messages);
First you check your phone contacts. You only have one contact, Doc Sproc.
Next, you check your messages. Once again you only have one phone messages.
It's from Doc Sproc and reads.
If you are reading this message then most likely I have already been killed. Assume that all of our worst fears have been realised. The fate of the world rests in your hands
After this point there are several lines of text but they seem to be heavily corrupted and are illegible.
You then remember the note you were given. It has a phone number on it scribbled next to the word, tailor.
Do(Try to recall how we got in this situation);
You try to remember just how you got to this situation while you can't remember anything before you first awoke you do remember what has happened to you since then.
Spoiler: Alpha Timeline Recap (click to show/hide)
rng(1d10);
rng(2d10);
rng(3d10);
rng(4d10);
rng(5d10);
rng(6d10);
rng(7d10);
rng(8d10);
rng(9d10);
rng(10d10);
You rolled 17, 22, 22, 41, 19, 35, 46, 51, 46. I hope you enjoy this because I've been rolling everything with real dice so far and am too lazy to pull up an rng site up. Your Welcome
Commands:
Do(Action);
Do(Action, Time);
Kill(Time);
Rng(diceNotation);
//the variable Time is used to indicate a given time line. time lines are designated based on what string is lit in a time line.
//Example diceNotation, 1d6 + 1 will roll a d6 and add 1 to that value.
//More Commands May Be Added As They Become Necessary

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 07:32:11 pm »

Archive of the Alpha Timeline
You wake on a busy street corner. You don't know who you are or where you came from. You feel a small item in your pocket.
You take the item out of your pocket. It has a red button and a blue button. It also has a small screen with the string 'T0', lit up.

The Screen Has The String 'T1' Lit Up.
You fail to hit either button.

The Screen Has The String 'T01' Lit Up.
You press the blue button. You watch in horror as a person in front of you turns ice blue. A chunk of ice surrounds him. He is dead. You shudder to think that could have been you. In fact, you are pretty sure that in another time line, it was probably you...

The Screen Has The String 'T101' Lit Up.

The Screen Has The String 'T0101' Lit Up.
You throw the device at the passerby. It hits him in the head, knocking him out. He is a few feet away from the frozen man. You move away and try to recollect your thoughts. That's when you notice a familiar weight in your pocket... The device has mysteriously reappeared there.

The Screen Has The String 'T00101' Lit Up.
You secure for yourself a well forged dagger. This can easily be concealed on your person and can be used quite well as a weapon.

The Screen Has The String 'T100101' Lit Up.
As hard as you search, you can't find Time. To make matters worse, you think that you are being followed.

The Screen Has The String 'T1100101' Lit Up.
You place the device on the ground and walk away. It reappears in your pocket.

The Screen Has The String 'T01100101' Lit Up.
You succeed in finding not just one tailor but an artist square filled with around a hundred different tailors. Each selling their own unique products. Did you have a specific tailor in mind or were you just interested in browsing?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:41:04 pm by star2wars3 »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To Split Time: Tailor Tails
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2017, 12:11:09 am »

Do(Call Doc Sproc anyway just to be sure. Maybe their answering machine will have a message, or some information we can use.);
Do(Speak to Time about the device, T000101);
This timeline didn't seem to end, so I'm going to try this.

Guess I'll stop rolling dice, as I can see no effect as of yet.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:13:24 am by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

ziizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Tired and Lazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 05:02:30 am »

Do: (keep searching for time.)
GG, Ziizo. May my spirit live on in your boobs.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 06:18:27 am »

Do(browse for a tailor, with the device in view so that if one can help me, they will know)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 06:41:10 am »

Do(Speak to Time about the device, T000101);
This timeline didn't seem to end, so I'm going to try this.

Guess I'll stop rolling dice, as I can see no effect as of yet.

@T000101 A time line is dead if it or all of it's child timelines are dead. As a result, timeline T000101 is dead.
@Dice mostly intended Rng() to be a function for meta stuff.
I probably won't write the turn until later today so feel free to revise/post whatever actions

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 06:47:13 am »

I've decided to make my update schedule for now be on the weekend but the next turn will be late because I've been studying for the AP exams
Pages: 1 [2] 3