Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 240311 times)

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2017, 09:33:07 pm »

Wow, what dicks. Are there any skilled marksmen?
I've started in marksmanship
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2017, 09:39:16 am »

We indeed have a bow squad, but it is made from fresh recruits with only three or so months of training. It's far too soon to deploy them, so they'll have to sit through this one not to become unecessary casualties. Plus ...I fear something went very wrong in our ammunition management. A furious charge is our only option at this point.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2017, 10:05:04 am »

I was out of town over the weekend (and monday) and WOW did I miss a lot. I'll work on a story for the weretortoise attack (still behind, lolz) and maybe a story for the battle, but I may wait till after the battle when the hospital gets some use.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 14, 2017, 04:20:58 pm »

nother story. This is from last season when the Weretortoise attacked. (I'm finally catching up)

Zothoabo anxiously paced back and forth in the small bedroom he shared with his family. The alarm had gone off 20 minutes ago, and after securing themselves, the children had quieted down… which only made his anxiety worse. “She should have been back at least 10 minutes ago” he muttered to himself. His hands rapped nervously on the wooden wall of the room. “She was just going to get firewood, what could have gone wrong?”

His musings were interrupted by his eldest daughter Donu. “Papa.” She waited for him to stop fidgeting, “When’s mama coming home?”
“She’ll be back soon.” He waited in silence for what seemed like an eternity. “Wait here children, I’m going to go get mama. No need to fear, Ino will keep you safe.” He left with that, hopeful that the ignorance of youth would keep his children from noticing the lack of conviction in his words.

The fort was busy. There was no word as to whether or not it was safe outside yet, and people could be seen scurrying to and fro, or huddled into alcoves whispering the rumors about what had the River Guard on edge.

“I hear there’s another wereskink out there” came whispers from one of the halls. “No, it’s the knife ears. An elven ambush.” Zothoabo felt the blood drain from his face. He had seen the elven invaders kill his parents and most of his village before his eyes when he was but a child, and didn’t want the River Guard to suffer the same fate.

As he rushed around the corner, he bumped into a guard. After regaining his composure, he desperately grasped the woman’s cloak and begged, “Please my wife is still out there. What raised the alarm?”

“A Weretortoise.” She said gruffly, and gently brushed Zothoabo aside, ‘I need to get my gear, the Guard is mobilizing.”

As the guardswoman marched down the hallway, Zothoabo leaned against a wall. Weretortoise, he thought. Guess there’s only one. She can run away from a weretortoise. And, if she gets injured, I can take care of her. I am a doctor after all.

He got up, and began returning to his room, before realizing the fallacy of his argument. Werecreatures don’t try to kill. They try to maim. To spread the curse of their hubris when they insulted the gods. If Hustra wasn’t killed, she would be turned into a monster. Locked away to protect the town until she was either killed, or died of old age, abandoned by the gods, society and her own family. It was a fate worse than death, and the thought caused Zothoabo to collapse into a nearby chair.

He reached across the table and wrapped his fingers around a half empty mug. His shaking hand brought it to his lips and he began to slurp down the alcoholic contents in order to ease his racing fear. He heard a murmur go up from some of the people around him, and tried to ignore it, not wanting to hear any bad news.

As he continued drinking, drowning out his own dark thoughts a light emerged, a voice distant but strong. “Zothoabo!” He turned to see Hustra running down the hall towards him. “I’m fine. They killed it.” She said as Zothoabo stumbled out of his chair and raced to embrace his wife.

After learning that Hustra was safe, Zothoabo looked at her asked, “Were you bit?” and began examining her for blood.

‘No, I’m fine.” She responded, putting his fears to rest. “How are the children?”

“They’re scared, but alright.” He paused and gave Hustra a smile, “Can’t you take a job inside?”

“You know that’s not how The Guard works. We all contribute.” She gave him a kiss on the cheek, “I’ll be more careful from now on. There’s no need to worry.”

He hugged her back, then straightened, and composed himself. “Let’s go to the children, If you ever feel unsafe, talk to me, I may be able to get you a safer job as a nurse. “

She smiled, and grasped his hand, “You don’t have to be so serious all the time. I know you have an important job, but right now, let’s just enjoy the time we have together.”

He squeezed her hand, “I will.”
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 03:02:41 pm by Megaman_zx »

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2017, 09:12:45 am »

This is so adorably cute. If we make it through this winter, I believe no one will object to free a post of nurse in the hospital. Hustra already took enough risks, and deserves a safer position.
Update on the battle coming soon !

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2017, 07:49:59 am »

Alright, time to strike !  >:(
music

The goblin strike force moves south quickly to engage the workers group, with the intent of inflicting as much casualties as they can. In the meantime, the Riverguard military, accompanied by Imic's men-at-arm, move through the main gate. At this point, the strike force has divided into three :

• The main party gives up the slaughter to engage our group
• Unbeh, their leader, with a handful of her goons continue to attack the workers
• A bowman and a crossbowman stay in front of the keep, shooting at passing ravens (Ino bless their low cognition)

Here is the list of people we lost so far :

Utast Oustotnge, Woodworker
Onra Ekowisho, Tanner
Banec Cadoisi, Fisherman
Onmo Jalsorus, Farmer
Bengel Zizatra, Weaver

A lot of wounded people too, some extremely severely. Among them, Apba, Zepher's sister and Asin's wife. Without losing a second, we charge hoping to save as much as we can.
The initial charge doesn't send them reeling as I expected, locking us into a grinding fight against better equipped enemies, with odds around two on one, but morale is very high.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2017, 01:28:02 pm »

Let them come! The river guard shall prevail! FOR THE NATION OF PEARLS! FOR THE KING/QUEEN!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2017, 11:35:39 am »

While I work on my third and last update on this battle, I'm wondering about some things :

• Should we set a time limit for this fort? When I started, I thought five years would be a good limit, but we're already three years in, and depending on the activity of the fort, it can go by really fast... The world will continue anyways, but maybe the fort is slowly reaching its end? Two more years and it will be able to feed and defend itself without my supervision, that is extra sure
• When we finally decide to close the chapter on this part of the history of the kingdom (be it temporarily, we can always go back to it), would you be interested in either another fort or in an adventurer story? Maybe we can do a chose-your-own-adventure kind of thing with a hero from Mong Kima ? Just some thoughts
• What should be exactly the status of Imic's men at arm? They are technically a police force, unlike other captains, Imic is not part of the military per say- but human have no justice system. Should they be the personal men of the Lord? Or something else?
• Also, for now I registered two requests for job change: Zotho wants to be trained, and his wife needs to become a nurse to avoid untimely end. If anyone want a job reasignment, please let me know

Also ; we have a Queen ! Queen Uzu Rakedowl to be exact, daughter of King Peklod Balancedbitten and third leader of Mong Kima. She rules from Hazelslide's caste.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:41:18 am by Cathar »

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2017, 01:22:58 pm »

While I work on my third and last update on this battle, I'm wondering about some things :

• Should we set a time limit for this fort? When I started, I thought five years would be a good limit, but we're already three years in, and depending on the activity of the fort, it can go by really fast... The world will continue anyways, but maybe the fort is slowly reaching its end? Two more years and it will be able to feed and defend itself without my supervision, that is extra sure
• When we finally decide to close the chapter on this part of the history of the kingdom (be it temporarily, we can always go back to it), would you be interested in either another fort or in an adventurer story? Maybe we can do a chose-your-own-adventure kind of thing with a hero from Mong Kima ? Just some thoughts
• What should be exactly the status of Imic's men at arm? They are technically a police force, unlike other captains, Imic is not part of the military per say- but human have no justice system. Should they be the personal men of the Lord? Or something else?
• Also, for now I registered two requests for job change: Zotho wants to be trained, and his wife needs to become a nurse to avoid untimely end. If anyone want a job reasignment, please let me know

Also ; we have a Queen ! Queen Uzu Rakedowl to be exact, daughter of King Peklod Balancedbitten and third leader of Mong Kima. She rules from Hazelslide's caste.

Firstly, cool battle report. It's interesting how the goblins manage to simultaneously communicate arrogance and general dim-wittedness.

Regarding moving on from this fort... I'd suggest setting a sort of end goal instead of a time limit. Instead of ending it after some number of years, promise to move on after a great feat has been accomplished. Full defences and patrols of the wall, self-sufficiency with fields within the walls, breaching the aquifer, adding a digit to exported wealth, etc. This way, you can end it right after you make a big advancement, you have a reason to keep playing as it slows down, and if you really have to you can drag it on longer.

From your description of Imic's men, I'd say they are a police force in the making. An armed group distinct from both the military and the (non-existent) justice system. Technically, they are a private group, commanded by whichever lord hires/commands them, so they'd be considered vigilantes, but their services are essential enough that they have become the de facto watchmen. I can't tell for sure, as I haven't been following this all the way. Mind if you link me a few pages where they appear?

And I'd like a dorf. Name him "Radii "Turtles" Uneventful" because my username is too strange. (It's an anagram).
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 19, 2017, 04:54:37 am »

I like the idea of Imic's troops being a police force. Like what Blueturtle said, they are ne in t,he making.

I tgink that the town should end at an appropriate time, such as after a massive siege, or maybe when a massivly emportant element of the story gets revealed.

I think that the next step would really depend on how you end it.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2017, 09:40:49 am »

You can take your time with those. I've been trying to write little rp stories from the viewpoints of the characters. I haven't officially requested anything, but you're the overseer, and if you want to follow up on Zotho's complaints, he will probably be happier, lolz.

May want to put a long pause on Zotho's military training, cuz it sounds like the hospital is about to get a bunch of business.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #161 on: June 22, 2017, 05:23:57 pm »

The fight seems to really take place just next to the main door where the two groups initially clash. The whole goblin force is rushing toward us. At this point, we are surrounded on three sides, the goblins using their greater numbers to try and flood us. Moreover, most of our weapons cannot strike them trhough their thick chainmails.

We don't take too much time to realize that if their bodies and heads are heavily protected, their limbs are not, only covered by fur clothes. When we come to that realization, we strike them left and right, high and low and limbs are now flying around. Imic's henchmen, Bolli and Therset, are doing a carnage among their ranks. Therset even get her title of swordmaster during the fight.

For seconds that seem hours, we stay bogged down against them, slowly but surely wearing them down. None of our soldiers is wounded.

And suddently,

Usquur break their lines and rushes toward their leader, occupied with Apba struggling for her life. Inspunz is on her toes. The poor goblin do not stand a chance and is slashed to bits.

In the meantime, the main force finishes off the remaining attackers in an extremely brutal - but one sided fight. We gather again and engage the two markgoblin that were distracted by a crowd of passing ravens and we murder them.

It was our first battle, and we prevailed without additional losses. None of us was even wounded.

We however have our lot of wounded civilians to take care of... Some are heavily wounded, and due to the severity of their wounds are not expected to survive. We decide, as we burry our deads, to make additional coffins just in case.

Lord Ryukan himself, contemplating the bloody desolation that is now the entrance of Watershield, find a still living civilian lying among the dead. We saw him coming back to the hospital with a heavily injured girl on his arms. Tho she is not expected to survive, we're glad to have such a lord.

The rest of the winter was uneventful. The hospital slowly empties itself - no one has died outright. Apba doesn't feel anything on her left arm anymore, and some of the wounds of the people are infected, so death may come later for them - but they all lived to see the next spring.

We've been in Watershield for three years now. Lot of things have changed since we first came... Most of them for the best. But the sudden appearance of the Wordy Witch goblins into the Crazed Conflict is definitely worrysome. We defeated what we later understood to be the whole garrisson of the local Dark Pits, Fellwebs, but scouts from Hazelslide reported they had around one thousand more to throw at Mong Kima.

Definitely, the year 134 starts on a very sour note.

Dorfing has been registered ! Do you have any preference for gender age of profession?

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 22, 2017, 05:28:49 pm »

You are a superb artist
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #163 on: June 22, 2017, 05:29:59 pm »

Awww thanks a lot :D Im doing my best (and trying not to take too much time)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 23, 2017, 09:17:03 am »

could you give me a few medical notes from after the battle, along with Zothoabo's recent mood?

I'm really liking the progression of the fort so far!!!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 111