Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 240320 times)

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #390 on: October 27, 2017, 11:17:50 am »

As for participation, really dorfing doesn't require any intelligent participation...nor any participation actually. It just helps me to focus on characters better and giving them some "soul" ; it's also a way for me to draw stupid jokes and to feel more involved in their daily life. It's also a way to directly influence the world by making the sort of decisions your character would make ; joining/leaving the army, requesting supplies or housing, getting married, this kind of things.

Well, do you have anybody doing stuff in the fort who'd add a new dimension to your narrative (one that you'd want to write)?  You know, like a cheesemaker, potter, bone carver, or something.  Or perhaps a glassmaker?  Since that would give a face to that part of the existing narrative.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #391 on: October 27, 2017, 11:34:02 am »

Let's see, what he have for now as dorfings :

• Zothoabo, chief doctor
• Ryukan, Prince
• Ari-Taskmo, Glass-maker and occasional weaponsmith
• Mate, Chef
• Asin, Bookkeeper
• Haspen, Manager
• Jamila, Hunter (off forum)
• Lemann, official trader
• Saren and Ser, scholars
• Zefer and Ases, knights
• Imic, Knight captain
• Valken, werebeast and eternal prisonner, off forum. He's still in that locked building

To which you could add Pathril, commander, who I ...sort of focus on.

But really, I like to follow the flow of events, mostly. There's maybe some to do with the farming personnel, mostly working with rope reed which is our primary source of income, or with metallurgists. I could totally work with a new apprentice of those fields, but those are just suggestions really, the goal is to be fun for you too

Edit : Or yes, glassmaker, if you don't mind working with Ari-Taskmo - the old dude who rescued Duslud last year. The poor man is pretty much alone doing his job, and also has to spend half his working days scavenging the battlefield to find workable goblinite
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:52:21 am by Cathar »

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 27, 2017, 06:47:25 pm »

Edit : Or yes, glassmaker, if you don't mind working with Ari-Taskmo - the old dude who rescued Duslud last year. The poor man is pretty much alone doing his job, and also has to spend half his working days scavenging the battlefield to find workable goblinite

. . . Dude.  Overeager hauler, taking over the suicidal goblinite scavenging duties.  It's super-helpful to the fort!  Very important!  Ari-Taskmo was very nice to let me (the character) do this job for him!

And this will probably end my career very, very quickly, but at least will alert you to the next raiding party.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #393 on: October 27, 2017, 07:22:17 pm »

Perfect, just give me a name, and you're in as soon as the next boy reaches adulthood (it should be very soon, in the year 139) ! Ari-Taskmo will definitely teach the young boy or girl if you so chose) the ins and outs of the smelter-scavenger trade.

Also, half of the winter update is coming this week end, sorry it's taking so long
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 07:25:18 pm by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 27, 2017, 08:18:23 pm »

You forgot one particular red headed swordswoman in your humanings.  :P

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #395 on: October 27, 2017, 08:38:00 pm »

No, no, this peculiar redhead you're thinking about is right there, check again ^^

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 27, 2017, 08:39:36 pm »

I see her now. Side by side with her brother where she belongs.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 27, 2017, 10:33:40 pm »

Perfect, just give me a name, and you're in as soon as the next boy reaches adulthood (it should be very soon, in the year 139) ! Ari-Taskmo will definitely teach the young boy or girl if you so chose) the ins and outs of the smelter-scavenger trade.

Huh, according to the dictionary, it should be either "Dengusa" or "Sacathusa."  I'm not sure which one would be better.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 27, 2017, 11:29:54 pm »

Kingcat or Leadercat? Sounds like a last name, to me. And why would those names fit with an overeager hauler? You're important, but leadership? Usmingirus is more like it. Herosavior. The one who helps the heroes by bringing in their supply of metal. Or Stalconrigu, to hit the nail on the head. Armormetal, seeing as that's literally what you'll be hauling most likely.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:33:42 pm by Urist McVoyager »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 28, 2017, 07:49:17 am »

Kingcat or Leadercat?
I will be sorely disappointed if this doesn't involve Starclan.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 28, 2017, 09:06:32 am »

Okay, some other thematic options that are less metaphorical:

Ketasralin
Gugirralin
Vitralin
Vitgistri
Asesgistri

Or if you really want to be boring:

Gugirzoku

JCdestr0yer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2017, 12:37:20 pm »

Speaking of people how is ser doing.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #402 on: October 28, 2017, 12:46:53 pm »

I like Dengusa a lot :D Also yes, that may look like a second name (I assume "last names" are not so much family names than friendly names given by the community to distinguish two Urists), but there's really no rule in dorfing names. Aside, well, somehow looking like a name.

Welcome in !

Spoiler: Dengusa (click to show/hide)

As for your personnal story :

• You are born in 127, in the fortress of Brokenbronze, a wooden fort built in 125 to control the western side of the kingdom, pretty much like Watershield is made to defend the east.
• In 128, Todka, one of your elder sister was killed by Stran, an age old vampire (today in our custody)

• In 132, your father, Asin, received a career opportunity in Watershield, and you moved there with your family : your mother Apba, and your siblings Idem, Upnal and Uzu. He was immediately promoted to record keeper.
• In 134, Upnal was killed by roaming capybaras.
• In 134, you gained a new little brother, Enthep.
• In 137, You gained a new little sister, Uzu.

As a side note, your sister Idem "Righteous Vandal" is considered a young hero since last year, as she saved Duslud on the bridge

As for Ser, he is still studying with Saren, our dwarf guest Astesh and our goblin guest Onget. He authored a number of books :

• Mistery of Proof
• At One with the Food Chain
• Government : a Quandrary
• Record of the Food Chain
• The World of Evaporation

His work mostly deals with the natural world, but he also has an interest in politics and general philosophy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:53:26 pm by Cathar »

Sir Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • E Platypus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 28, 2017, 01:45:28 pm »

Thank you!

I like Dengusa a lot :D Also yes, that may look like a second name

Well, if the way first/second names work is that one is a single word and the other is two words combined . . . and I've now realized "Ralin" sounds good for this sort of character, meaning "lucky" . . . then you could use "Ralin" as a first name and use "Dengusa" as a second name.  Then you'd have a lucky cat . . .

But if this person's real in-world second name is "Accokipom," then that's okay.  Whatever works with your setup.

("Flamehoist.  It won't turn out well."  Now that's a slogan.  And do goblins ever bring in silver weapons?  That'll make him happy.)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #404 on: October 28, 2017, 01:52:20 pm »

Oh yes...yes they do. When we spot one of them carrying silver bolts or silver maces, we focus them immediately. They are the only ones who can pierce our armors. Silver armed goblins are much much much more dangerous as I slowly discover. However the bunk of them just use copper and don't event dent our heavy gear
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 111