Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 239088 times)

Malfinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #705 on: December 14, 2017, 10:48:01 am »

winter 139
dear dairy
 i tried my best to cheer up donu since what happen to her mom, though it kinda just went bad , i'll just refer this as the "flying sweets meeting ases face incident". with that plan out the widow i needed a new one or so i thought  when i got to the dining room  erod was talking to  donu,  ugh why does he have to look so  serious all the time  but i don't know  what he told her but it seemed to help her a bit emotionally at least  she gave him a hug and rubbed her face and put a  what i guess was her serious face it was to cute to be  that though, i guess that's one  more thing our families have in common losing our mothers...
 wait did he just give her a  pap on the head, he doesn't even give me or Turot paps on the head.
oh wait he punch her in the arm, donu almost fell. i think  i heard him  say "be tough, be calm" then walk off.
 and there dad having a drinking contest with  doctor Zothoabo or at least trying to, i don't think the doctor want's to get to drunk.
next thing i know  me and Turot are being drag outside by erod saying where gonna spar wants to  see if where training as hard as we can. he really kick our butts sure we got some  good hits on him but it didn't bother him much, i think he doesn't want to lose us to a werebeast....
what jerk he didn't even go easy on us.
ps. i think erod can't write, i  peek into his journal and it was most filled with squiggling lines .

ooc: as for the "flying sweets meeting ases face incident" it mostly a joke as you hear about it but never know how it happen, dotep clan   they understand the pain  of losing a mother and wife, you can count on them to help with Zothoabo  mostly  sirris or turot though
honestly i question my writing a lot

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 14, 2017, 01:14:23 pm »

I tried to look through the thread for confirmation, but did Sirris also lose his mother?
if so, what happened?

Asking for research purposes.  8)
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 14, 2017, 01:45:47 pm »

Is that someone trying to get with Donu??
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Malfinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 14, 2017, 02:14:32 pm »

I tried to look through the thread for confirmation, but did Sirris also lose his mother?
if so, what happened?

Asking for research purposes.  8)
yes  her mother died  in a battle  seven years ago   on page  11 her name Bengel.
also Sirris (16) and Turot(13) is female , Erod(17) is the only male
edit- there all siblings

Is that someone trying to get with Donu??

no Erod just finds helping others emotionally rewarding also  He is given to rough-and-tumble brawling, even to the point of starting fights for no reason.   so if some one was feeling jealous * coughs*  and a brawl were to happen * coughs* he part of the axe squad also.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:21:24 pm by Malfinal »

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: December 14, 2017, 02:31:02 pm »

Thanks for the info Malfinal. I'll use that in Donu's next diary entry.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 14, 2017, 10:38:04 pm »

ooc: as for the "flying sweets meeting ases face incident" it mostly a joke as you hear about it but never know how it happen

I'll take it as revenge for the apple incident.

Hey Cathar . . . how do Ases and Donu really feel about each other in-game?

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 15, 2017, 12:04:46 am »

No dirtying of hands is needed. When the time comes, they'll realize that they'll never be accepted as human and commit suicide by jumping into a very deep hole.

I still feel that adventuring them out is the best idea.

Dafq kind of talk is that blue? they are acceptaed as human, just ones about as dangerous as lepers or carriers of the bubonic plauge, but kind of almost undead. The fact that we accept them as ''human"(such a word as a synonym for sapient worthy of respect in this case) is why we arent tossing them down a pit or something horribly painful.

But yes we should give them a choice on how to die, to preserve their dignity, these are not murderers or rapists they are not tyrants, they are essentially innocent people with a dangerous and incurable disease.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 15, 2017, 08:35:00 am »

No dirtying of hands is needed. When the time comes, they'll realize that they'll never be accepted as human and commit suicide by jumping into a very deep hole.

I still feel that adventuring them out is the best idea.

Dafq kind of talk is that blue? they are acceptaed as human, just ones about as dangerous as lepers or carriers of the bubonic plauge, but kind of almost undead. The fact that we accept them as ''human"(such a word as a synonym for sapient worthy of respect in this case) is why we arent tossing them down a pit or something horribly painful.

But yes we should give them a choice on how to die, to preserve their dignity, these are not murderers or rapists they are not tyrants, they are essentially innocent people with a dangerous and incurable disease.

Well, they'll realize they have to die for the safety of the society.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 15, 2017, 09:00:17 am »

No, they're likely to want to die to escape the sheer cruelty of being locked up in solitary forever. It's a game mechanic that forces us to kill them, not the safety of the fortress.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #714 on: December 15, 2017, 11:42:32 am »

Guys, adventuring them out will not work. Burying them out will not work. Satheth explained to you why this is, but to set the record straight : as soon as we leave the fortress, as soon as they are out of sight, they will continue their lives, move from fort to fort and cause mayhem. There is no way to prevent this from happening. I appreciate the good heart of people as one of the finer things in life, but there is really no way around it. No prison can hold a beast in worldgen, and no trip is too long for them not returning.

This is exactly that. Frankly couldn't have said it better myself. They are people who are terribly ill and contageous, and who have no hope of being treated. Putting them down is the only option, doesn't mean we have to spit on them.
But guys, we'll deal with that issue. Let's just go with Zotho's idea. People will be told Hustra is sick and being treated, and she will die of her sickness. The rest will happen under the radar and those in the know will have to live with the secret.

Also next update coming soon !

Edit : I need to draw Dotep's clanspeople. Very small clan, mother died in battle, father's ex-soldier. First son is an absolute monster of battle and the two girls are cute and innocent to the point I have trouble getting training working on them. Very interesting family to me.

Edit 2 : In game, Ases and Donu have no special relation, they don't bump into each other as they are in different squads

Edit 3 : Oh lord, I missed more than I thought. Sorry

If you decide to do it mechanically, I volunteer Digo for designing the apparatus.  It would help establish his character as "cold heartless bastard who is good at persuading others to see things his way and does what needs to be done without feeling bad about it, even though it gets him hated".  The other characters can debate the ethics of such a decision after the fact.

What is it with the "emotionless killer" archetype ; we're normal human beings with emotions and normal social bonds. I mean, it's not like the characters grow in a vacuum. It's a  thigh community, the child grow together.
There are independant spirits for sure, but I'd much, much, much prefer to see the character grow interracting with each other rather than taking steps not to. Drawing stories about character with no emotion/who find joy in the suffering of other is just not fun to me.

What I want to emphases (because I think it's a quite recurring problem, not just with that post) is you can't just decide to go rogue and start acting like people's opinions don't matter ; they very much do. You rely on them to get fed, clothed protected etc. Your actions will make your parents proud or not, if you're a member of a unit, your actions reflect on their prestige.

On the topic of the execution, let's just not get ahead of ourselves. Digo will begin his apprenticeship soon, likely in winter, and I'll make sure he becomes an effiscient mechanic. Then, when the time comes, provided we can trust him, we'll consider giving him the job. For now he's just 12 :D
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:32:25 pm by Cathar »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: December 15, 2017, 10:33:46 pm »

I was rolling by the character sheet you gave me when I made Ases out to be low key, and very willing to kill things. She's not an emotionless murderer, she's just able to see what needs done without getting stressed out by it, and volunteers to spare others who might be more broken up over things.

She also sees that the fort is surrounded by enemies and isn't willing to put herself in a position to be compromised when danger comes calling. Which is why she's very cautious about getting together with anyone. Though if the in-game character does wind up getting close to someone, I'll totally write an in-universe story delving into it.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 16, 2017, 02:13:46 am »

She also sees that the fort is surrounded by enemies and isn't willing to put herself in a position to be compromised when danger comes calling. Which is why she's very cautious about getting together with anyone. Though if the in-game character does wind up getting close to someone, I'll totally write an in-universe story delving into it.
Due to how relatioship-building was overworked in recent versions, Ases can live and die out of advanced age without making any significant contacts at all. She'll need to socialize with others - sparring and shouting discipline at recruits does not seem to raise friendship. Camaradie (fictional) - yes, but not friendship (thus also precluding any romance from happening).
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #717 on: December 17, 2017, 05:08:47 pm »

If you decide to do it mechanically, I volunteer Digo for designing the apparatus.  It would help establish his character as "cold heartless bastard who is good at persuading others to see things his way and does what needs to be done without feeling bad about it, even though it gets him hated".  The other characters can debate the ethics of such a decision after the fact.

What is it with the "emotionless killer" archetype ; we're normal human beings with emotions and normal social bonds. I mean, it's not like the characters grow in a vacuum. It's a  thigh community, the child grow together.
There are independant spirits for sure, but I'd much, much, much prefer to see the character grow interracting with each other rather than taking steps not to. Drawing stories about character with no emotion/who find joy in the suffering of other is just not fun to me.

I'm building off of his "very poor empathy" on his character description.  Nothing about finding joy in the suffering of others.  Rather, the feelings of other people don't matter so much to him - that's pretty much what low empathy means.  But that doesn't mean he can't subscribe to moral principles.  He's definitely a complex character - what with the whole valuing peace but at the same time not actually respecting people who strive for it.

There are other, more interesting ways to achieve character development besides the cliche empathy = good and low empathy = bad approach.  I think it would be more interesting to have him grow in maturity without actually breaking his defined traits - he's never going to genuinely feel for others, but he might learn that because people don't live in a vacuum - no matter how much they might want to - being less rude and pretending to care is the best way to achieve the ideal of peace, which he does genuinely value.

He's still young though, and hasn't quite realized that yet... and thanks to his poor analytical abilities, it might take him some time.  He might need to get punched a bit more.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 17, 2017, 09:31:14 pm »

"Like others in her culture, she believes that peace is always preferable to war, is offended by leisure time and leisurely living, deeply dislikes competition, greatly respects those that observe decorum and maintain their dignity, strongly values tranquility and quiet, deeply respects those that work hard at their labors, hates those who wield power over others, finds the following of tradition foolish and limiting, thinks the quest for knowledge is a delusional fantasy, greatly respects individuals that persevere through their trials and labors, respects fair-dealing and fair-play, finds introspection to be a waste of time, finds romance distasteful, doesn't respect a society that has settled into harmony without debate and strife, sees merrymaking as a waste, is put off by family, values martial prowess, finds artwork boring, believes it is important to conceal emotions and refrain from complaining, values self-control, respects commerce, sees guile and cunning as indirect and somewhat worthless and finds nature somewhat disturbing.  She personally respects the law and doesn't really value independence one way or another.  She dreams of bringing lasting peace to the world.  

She has no sense of vengeance or retribution.  She almost never feels discouraged.  She is a pessimist.  She is not readily moved by art or natural beauty.  She finds obligations confining, and she is conflicted by this since she believes in the importance of the rule of the law.  She tends to avoid crowds.  She prefers to present herself modestly.  She tends not to reveal personal information.  She  is currently less private.  She thinks she is fairly important in the grand scheme of things.  She  is currently more rude.  She  is currently more fearless.  She  is currently more confident.  She  is currently more shameless.  She  is currently more thoughtless.  She is getting used to tragedy.  "

THAT is Ases. That's who I took on to work with. She's not an emotionless killer on the inside, but on the outside she gives off that appearance. She doesn't like romance or family, and so probably won't seek out such things. Especially with the fort in danger all the time. She doesn't want to be around a crowd, or to share, or to complain. She actively WANTS to hide her emotions. This is who I took on. I'm not treating her like an emotionless killer, but I'm not going to bend her character to create some overly social creature just to please the central writer of the story. Maybe you can get me on the maintaining composure bit with the apple and the jokes about talking to her sword, but even Ben Franklin couldn't live up to his ideals, so there's plenty of room for Ases to run into something that makes her lose her cool from time to time. And even the sword bit is an amusing way to scare off potential suitors she has no interest in.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 17, 2017, 09:36:45 pm »

*grabs popcorn to properly enjoy the spectacle*
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 111