Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 240326 times)

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #1275 on: February 10, 2020, 10:26:48 pm »

NOOO, PULL YOURSELF TOGETHER, GRAM!

R.I.P. Joakim.
He died a brave death, facing a delicacy god of old.

-------------
BTW, thought you'd like this;

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1276 on: February 11, 2020, 08:54:13 am »

Oh my god that's my Luki :') Rest in peace my daughteru, you're dead but not forgotten. Also Hakuryu, if you ever need drawings for your own projects, I'd be very happy to repay what you do for mine.

Spring has been played, and there has been some events, but not enough to justify a complete update ; I'll need to find some more stories to flesh it up or else it will look sad.

What else, I am also thinking to upgrade the version after Autumn or Winter 149. I'll keep a backup just in case, but I'd like to finish the decade in version 0.47.
Update in progress!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: February 11, 2020, 05:05:21 pm »

I've looked through quite a bit of legends, and I've come to a conclusion:

This world isn't all that interesting.

Pretty much all the interesting history is stuff you've already wrote about. 125 years of worldgen isn't very long, the world isn't very big, and the world was generated before a lot of the interesting legends stuff got put in. There are no vampire tyrants, colossal battles, conquering generals, or legendary heroes. I've always been more of a historian in my approach to legends rather than a storyteller, and this world has me stumped.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1278 on: February 11, 2020, 05:13:25 pm »

I mean... okay ? I really don't want to go on yet another "this is not a written kruggsmash video" explanation. You don't have to help if you don't want to help. That's ok; I'll manage, promise.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: February 11, 2020, 06:43:53 pm »

I mean... okay ? I really don't want to go on yet another "this is not a written kruggsmash video" explanation. You don't have to help if you don't want to help. That's ok; I'll manage, promise.
Not trying to start a fight, but he wasn't trying to compare it to one. He was saying the world is apparently bland and uninteresting by DF standards of crazy shit happening - although to be frank, multiple wars in-progress and the repeated werebeast attacks suggest otherwise at least in my opinion. If nothing else there seems to be a plague of apostasy/unchecked monsters/stupidity abounding with those weres still menacing the countryside.

One could even wager that the multiple wars and the civil disruption that entails is leaving the various kingdoms unable to effectively fend off such hazards, as the bulk of thier troops are on campaign or guarding "more important" centers instead of protecting the outlying hillocks, minor retreats, pits, and hamlets.

I've looked through quite a bit of legends, and I've come to a conclusion:

This world isn't all that interesting.

Pretty much all the interesting history is stuff you've already wrote about. 125 years of worldgen isn't very long, the world isn't very big, and the world was generated before a lot of the interesting legends stuff got put in. There are no vampire tyrants, colossal battles, conquering generals, or legendary heroes. I've always been more of a historian in my approach to legends rather than a storyteller, and this world has me stumped.
The world was also genned with mostly-vanilla files (I think I read somewhere Cathar only did the minimum to make humans playable,) and I'm assuming the world was generated with pop caps, in which case insane/super interesting stuff is simply less likely to happen anyway because populations are limited to draw on for victims, perpetrators, and armies. The super-modded, no-cap worlds I gen at minimum tend to be rife with at least a couple extermination wars and plenty of megabeast/semi-megabeast attacks, and I usually only run a world for between 190 and 240 years - not really all that much longer.

That being said, it's not that interesting stuff isn't happening - The River Crossing has their civ's first and only cavern breach (albeit under-utilized, again in my opinion,) have killed at least one Forgotten Beast, and have fended off several intrusions. In-universe that'd all be considered a huge deal, it's just not gonna be that remarkable when compared to world-spanning wars of attrition like those that raged in Tholtig Cryptbrain's world, or finding that one guy who made a career out of slaying megabeasts or similar such things.

EDIT: Not trying to start a beef to be clear. Just wanted to offer my two cents here.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1280 on: February 11, 2020, 06:55:53 pm »

Please do not continue that discussion on this thread. I've read everyone's opinion but ultimately I'll do what I do.

I understand people come here expecting stuff like massive battles or century spanning megaprojects or megabeast hunting. And when they discover this is ultimately a thread about a group of people looking for happiness they are disapointed. I'm sorry, I wish I would not disapoint but that is what I want to do.

Edit : With that said if you think there is something to do with the caverns, please say so, I'd be happy to send an expedition or something.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 07:18:15 pm by Cathar »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: February 11, 2020, 07:33:38 pm »

Access to silk and underground crops and animal resources springs to mind. While it runs the risk seriously of angering dwarven merchants (for story purposes, obviously in terms of gameplay they couldn't care less,) it allows the civ access to goods they'd otherwise have to go through dwarven middlemen (at inflated prices) to get.

Again, that's really just for story purposes, but when you have goods that can't be obtained from your countrymen otherwise, well. Seems the enterprising people here who did set out to build a trading post/way station might be of a mind to take advantage of that good ol' wartime nationalism ("Why should we buy this stuff from dwarven merchants when we can go here and get it from our own people closer to home?")

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1282 on: February 11, 2020, 07:39:52 pm »

That's actually a good idea. We have...some silk, but we stopped producing when half the cavern were flooded by the aquifer. We managed to isolate one part that is still dry tho, maybe we can install a permanent outpost with a couple guards.

Oh by the way Splint, since Hauben is your character, do you want to name the squads? At this moment, we have one mace squad under Hauben, an axe squad under Ersi, and a police squand without leader. In the near future we'll also create an attack squad and a scout squad.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: February 11, 2020, 08:02:33 pm »

I tend to leave the names default personally, unless it's something embarrassingly dumb sounding or weird and not in a good way. Otherwise I'd make the names based on primary purpose or dominant skills/traits. From battlejudge for example, we have...

The Predators - Comprised of legendary hunters.
The Coalmakers - Intended to fight elves.
The Judges - The Fort's police force.
The Plainswalkers - Made up almost exclusively of human mercenaries/citizens

So for say, a cavern squad we could go a bit edgy and call them The Darkwatch (seeing as they're down in the dark, dank, depths, keeping watch for cave critters to bag and bring up,) a team of combat-capable miners The Iron Breakers (for the role miners have in extracting iron ore,) y'know, stuff that might sound cool, intimidating, or descriptive of purpose.

I don't actually know enough about the forces we have other than their accomplishments though, so I'd say go with what you personally think might make sense or sound cool.  :)

EDIT: Thoughts on The Brush-stalkers for a scouting squad name?

EDIT II: And whatever we end up with for settled names I'd be happy to make some squad symbols just for an added little story detail on top.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1284 on: February 13, 2020, 01:18:09 pm »

Brush-Stalkers is perfectly fine with me.

So far the army looks something like that :

• The Sloppy Scratches
Commander : Hauben Cituube
8 macemen
Armor is a mix of bronze and leather.
Weapon made of bronze are a mix of maces and mornigstars

• Stray of Knighting
Captain : Ersi Cuthupundik
7 axemen, 2 swordmen, 1 spearman
Armor is leather, weapons are bronze grade

• The Craddled Posts
Hearthcaptain : Bemta Ngiraidur
4 axemen, 1 spearman
Armor is leather
Police force, unfit for military combat, mostly rooky units

Feel free to rename any of them. They will probably undergo severe restructuration after spring

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: February 13, 2020, 02:07:12 pm »

Alright, I got some names in mind. Is there any specific color pattern you want each unit assigned? I wanna make some squad level symbols that can just be assumed are painted onto the fronts of their shields before I post them. Got me feeling creative and all that.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1286 on: February 13, 2020, 02:25:34 pm »

The most common colors in Mong Kima are blue (color of water and accessible dimple dye) and orange (copper, bronze). Gray and brown for iron and untincted cloth and leather respectively may also be used. That's what I would use, but by all means, feel free to use the schemes you want.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: February 13, 2020, 02:46:55 pm »

Alright, so the first of the bunch. WIP, and I'll be putting them all up at once when they're all done. I'm gonna design these images as if they're wooden painted signs affixed to barracks doors. The morningstar could have been better, but eh. I've never been good at spiky bits.

This is the Symbol for Hauben's Squad, the Skull-breakers, so named because it's the only way they'll ever get one-hit-kills generally.

Several symbols in mind make use of a skull motif (I have five lined up counting the above, with three making use of a skull,) and I went with the idea of specific paints being used where it makes sense: Red being dominant in the background of this one being because red is the color of the maceman across all cultures for example, and the maces being painted with diluted redroot dye. Blue is used as a show of extravagance, as this community is the only human town with ready access to dimple dye to use for such things.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #1288 on: February 13, 2020, 03:25:42 pm »

Absolutely perfect, I'll put those in good use in tactical situations. Next update is almost ready, I'll probably write it tomorrow or this week end.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: February 13, 2020, 03:55:10 pm »

I've read through this whole thread again over the last few days. I love this story! The combination of the broad sweep of history, with the details of the lives of the people who get caught up in it.

Luki's end was sad and somehow really fitting. She tried to walk away from her life of violence, but in the end, it caught up with her.

I'd love to have a human, one not too depressed if possible  :)  Someone primarily doing work related to the bridge would be cool, maybe a miner or mason. For the name: Sana if female, Shin if male (either is fine).
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 111