Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Plight of the Atomic : Ship Thread [IC]  (Read 21494 times)

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
Re: Plight of the Atomic : Ship Thread [IC]
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2017, 08:50:55 am »

"SON, AIN'T NOBODY 'ERE STUPID ENOUGH T' FALL FER SOMETHING LIKE THAT! BUT 'F YER THAT WILLIN' T' MEET YER MAKER I'LL BE HAPPY T' OBLIGE YOU!"

Start launching grenades off the wall into the hall where the voice is coming from, so as to avoid entering the hall itself. The grenades should bounce somewhat near the voice.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2017, 10:23:30 pm »

"Captain! Sir!" Rai salutes the captain presenting him with a grim but determined expression. "There's one more aboard sir! He's in the cargo bay! The pirates were having me work on this pod, there's a prisoner in it, if I could just get so more time I could open that cryo pod and get him out. I think he's some kind of high profile hostage. You know, for some kind of ransom deal."

"The pod is a highly delicate kind of deal, one bad move and you might causes his cells to burst before he can thaw out. You got to send me and some guys back to open the pod!"

Get them to let me keep my gun too. Pour 6 ref into the whole deal.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 09, 2017, 03:42:38 am »

Jackson ignores the bulky figure for now, and instead jets around to the cables attaching the marine ship to the Atomic. Using the Lance of Longinus, he separates them, then begins jetting towards the "airlock" the marines used to enter the ship. "Airlock" of course being what is left of the airlock they used.

[3 => 0] The cables prove too strong. They're made out of carbon nanotubes, after all. LONGINUS should be strong enough to break it regardless, but it will need some force.

(you may try again but you retain the original roll, which is 0)

Spoiler: Embarked on Mech (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jackson's Stats (click to show/hide)

Rhodes would hang out in the hangar until something interesting happens, trying not to die horribly.

A shame. Interesting things don't happen by themselves.

Rhodes discovers a room in the back of the hangar. "Mission Control" it's called. Inside are rows of padded seats surrounding a volumetric display which whirrs to life, its power supply's cooling fans humming in outdated furor.

Depicted is a map of the Atomic and a red outline of the enemy ship. LONGINUS, Jackson's mecha, (does it really belong to him?) is stationkeeping just outside the airlock. Damage to the Atomic's command wing is present at two airlocks, and it warns there are twelve intruders inside the bottom floor of the hab. It gives a rough count of how many there are in one room and in the hallway. 11 and 1 respectively.

Spoiler: Rhodes' Stats (click to show/hide)

"Captain! Sir!" Rai salutes the captain presenting him with a grim but determined expression. "There's one more aboard sir! He's in the cargo bay! The pirates were having me work on this pod, there's a prisoner in it, if I could just get so more time I could open that cryo pod and get him out. I think he's some kind of high profile hostage. You know, for some kind of ransom deal."

"The pod is a highly delicate kind of deal, one bad move and you might causes his cells to burst before he can thaw out. You got to send me and some guys back to open the pod!"

Get them to let me keep my gun too. Pour 6 ref into the whole deal.

[9 +> 7] "Right! Go rescue him! Two of you," he looks distraught. A crewmember, who seems to have been working on something in the hall, speaks up. "Sir! The ship is going to fall apart at this rate!"
"What is your job?" says the captain. "What is our job? If we don't rescue someone in need, they'll catch on and you'll be out of a job. We'll be out of it. The whole crew. Are you ready to live in a junkyard?"

They seem distracted.
"By the way, is KORVAC ready?" the engineer nods silently. "Good," says the captain.

Spoiler: Rai's Stats (click to show/hide)

in the middle of the crossfire, Ryker continues to follow Rai. he ducks down and continues running and then gets some hair sniped off. it was a close call. then hides behind some pillar. later he notices the marines retreat and tries to find a way back to the ship to the main bridge.

Riker is completely lost here. The drab steel blue halls reek of alcohol and sweat. He wanders aimlessly through the hall, glancing at signage written in some sort of pirate slang that's basically impossible to decipher.

He hears a bang as he rounds the corner, and pellets ricochet off the wall behind him.

In the hallway up ahead, there is a lingering puff of smoke followed by the hiss of electrical faults.

Spoiler: Riker's Stats (click to show/hide)

"THAT SOUNDS LIKE A CHALLENGE, YOU LUDDITE PARIAHS! WHY NOT COME OVER AND FACE US, IF YOU SEEM THAT CONFIDANT! GUESS YOU'RE NOT SO BRAVE OUTSIDE THE LITTLE NURSERY YOU SET UP THERE, EH?"

Respond to the challenge in kind, to try and lure them out into a kill zone. Reserve 2 Dex to cut them down if they take the bait.

Abelard hears a THUMP and a ping. Something comes around the corner.

Without thinking, his Digitron grabs the grenade off the nearby floor and throws it back. It explodes midair, dealing no harm to Abelard who puts his head down.

What an awkward state of affairs.

He hears some kind of buzzing noise and the smoke doesn't clear. Perhaps some shrapnel damaged a power line? There's definitely a fire.

Spoiler: Abelard's Stats (click to show/hide)

"SON, AIN'T NOBODY 'ERE STUPID ENOUGH T' FALL FER SOMETHING LIKE THAT! BUT 'F YER THAT WILLIN' T' MEET YER MAKER I'LL BE HAPPY T' OBLIGE YOU!"

Start launching grenades off the wall into the hall where the voice is coming from, so as to avoid entering the hall itself. The grenades should bounce somewhat near the voice.

((Taking the distance as 10m. Indirect fire will also give -1 to rolls.))

Using the grenade launcher in close quarters won't work too well due to the proximity fuse. Eddie can't change it, despite the flak armor. Go figure.
Instead he sets the grenade launcher to use a timed fuse, and bounces one around the corner. [6+4 -> 2] {Dodge: 5 => 3 >> 1 counterattack} [Dodge: 3 => 1] It comes back around and explodes! However the fortifications take the brunt of it, leaving the entrenched position unharmed.

The grenade started an electrical fire, giving off a large amount of smoke.

Spoiler: Eddie's Stats (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:24:02 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Vuldrae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2017, 03:20:57 pm »

Ryker sees an explosion in the hall of the ship, he protects his face reflexively from the blast, concerned he runs towards the origin of the explosion but has trouble seeing thought the smoke and tries feeling where everything is and calls out "hello, is anyone hurt? I'm not gonna hurt any one, I'm just here to help!

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2017, 04:35:59 pm »

"Y' READY T' COME OUT YET? OR ARE Y' STILL HAPPY WI' DYIN'?"

Keep lobbing grenades into the hallway, expending 1 ammo.

Then, Eddie notices the alien in the hallway, and points his PDW at him.

"Son, I'm appreciatin' you wantin' t' help and all, but considerin' what I've been through, I'm not quite ready t' trust no one yet. Put 'cher hands in the air an' let one of these here marines frisk ya'. I hope y' understand."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 09:02:22 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2017, 02:35:59 am »

"LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE ALL STILL CONTENT TO HIDE IN YOUR NURSERY! KEEP ON COWERING IN THERE!"

Keep 2 Reflex on standby to return any more grenades. Then Use the Megadrill to cut a hole in the wall of the 'nursery.' Hold the metal plate cut off up with my Digitron and move the Vulcan into place  and spend 3 Dex on a burst of fire into the room.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 11, 2017, 02:19:53 pm »

"Yes, well, lets go!" Studying the elected marine for a way to kill him without ruining the armor. He intends to return alone with the armor on. He travels back into his home ship leading the marine towards the cargo bay. But slowly. Seemly cautiously, but really Rai just wants to study the marine and figure things out.

Of course... If they track vitals this could be problematic.

"You think that armor can bounce back from a EMP? This ship seems kind of rickety." He asks casually, cautiously navigating the hall.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2017, 04:56:01 am »

???

Spoiler: Enemy Mech (click to show/hide)

???

Spoiler: Rhodes' Stats (click to show/hide)

"Yes, well, lets go!" Studying the elected marine for a way to kill him without ruining the armor. He intends to return alone with the armor on. He travels back into his home ship leading the marine towards the cargo bay. But slowly. Seemly cautiously, but really Rai just wants to study the marine and figure things out.

Of course... If they track vitals this could be problematic.

"You think that armor can bounce back from a EMP? This ship seems kind of rickety." He asks casually, cautiously navigating the hall.

One of the technicians shrugs. "I'll go."

The captain doesn't stress what he said earlier. He technically said two, but this is already working to Rai's advantage.
The technician followed Rai into the hall, back toward the airlock.

In response to Rai's idle quip,
"EMP?" He asked rhetorically "Not sure if anything out here in space can bounce back from being fried." He reaches for his helmet.

"If it's properly shielded for space, though, it's going to have an airtight shell made from aluminium," he pronounces it Alumin-i-um. "That's pretty much a proper shield right there."

The helmet seems like a cheap one. There's no locking noise when he puts his helmet on. Rai made sure to put his on second so he could listen.
The vacuum of space calls.

Ryker sees an explosion in the hall of the ship, he protects his face reflexively from the blast, concerned he runs towards the origin of the explosion but has trouble seeing thought the smoke and tries feeling where everything is and calls out "hello, is anyone hurt? I'm not gonna hurt any one, I'm just here to help!

"LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE ALL STILL CONTENT TO HIDE IN YOUR NURSERY! KEEP ON COWERING IN THERE!"

Keep 2 Reflex on standby to return any more grenades. Then Use the Megadrill to cut a hole in the wall of the 'nursery.' Hold the metal plate cut off up with my Digitron and move the Vulcan into place  and spend 3 Dex on a burst of fire into the room.

[3 => 2, 2 AP negates wall armor]

Abeldard gets to work. He takes advantage of the explosives bursting around him and the general chaos posed by a sudden newcomer who appeared in the hall, to dig his way into the side crawlspace. Normally this area is only accessible by maintainence hatch, but it's just sheets of metal. No harm in adding a new one.

He then cuts out a slot in the room the marines are hiding out in, dragging the vulcan across the floor with his digitron. He drops the drill and uses the digitron to hold up the steel plate. [3 => 2] Mechanized limbs work wonders.

His hands free, he hefts the vulcan up and bursts through, opening fire in the smoky room. The smoke obscures his vision, but that won't protect them from vulcan fire. [12 -> 5] {3 => 3} {Armor 1} A single marine dives in front taking all the fire.

Marines left: 9

"Y' READY T' COME OUT YET? OR ARE Y' STILL HAPPY WI' DYIN'?"

Keep lobbing grenades into the hallway, expending 1 ammo.

Then, Eddie notices the alien in the hallway, and points his PDW at him.

"Son, I'm appreciatin' you wantin' t' help and all, but considerin' what I've been through, I'm not quite ready t' trust no one yet. Put 'cher hands in the air an' let one of these here marines frisk ya'. I hope y' understand."

[Rolled 2 1's: 10 -> ???] Eddie, despite the innocent-seeming fellow diving into the middle of the crossfire, continued to fire grenades, hoping to bounce them around and present the least danger while defeating his target.

He's unable to gauge the effectiveness of his attacks. Either the target was dispatched, or the weapon isn't firing because this newcomer is an ally...

Over the sounds made by the marines, who rush to leave their cover like idiots and try to hold up the alien, Eddie hardly notices the dull sound of a drill in the background, which blends in with the noisy ventilation system and the hissing of the electrical fire. The room continues to fill with smoke. (-1 to all non-explosive ranged attacks due to poor visibility. Enter melee range to mitigate this)

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:59:10 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2017, 09:10:26 am »

Jackson abandons the idea of severing the enemy ship for now, and instead heads to the airlock the marines breached to enter the ship. He pilots the LONGINUS back into the atomic, then does his best to pursue the enemy. He could probably just follow the noise of gunfire.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2017, 10:52:46 pm »

These marines are making such a mess of this ship! They need to be dealt with, quickly.

Abandon the Vulcan and charge into the fray with my Megadrill, using Frenzy and spending 5 Strength, 6 Reflex, 1 Dexterity, and 1 Speed to cut through the marines.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:17:36 am by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2017, 11:11:24 pm »

"GO TO HELL!"

Expend all dexterity and reflex to dodge the hell away from the mega drill and to pour 2 rounds of PDW ammo into Abledard.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:15:03 pm by DolosusDoleus »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2017, 09:27:27 pm »

Rai goes forward making pace back into the ship. "I hope you're suit does sends vitals to your captain, we might not make it back from this trip." In actuality he hopes not, but he needs to to know either way.

If he doesn't have some kind of vitals correspondence, off him with an 6 Speed trachea crush. If he does lead him to that shitty engine room that might interfere with his communications.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2017, 01:35:49 am »

Jackson abandons the idea of severing the enemy ship for now, and instead heads to the airlock the marines breached to enter the ship. He pilots the LONGINUS back into the atomic, then does his best to pursue the enemy. He could probably just follow the noise of gunfire.

Jackson tilts the control stick back to distance himself from the enemy vessel, and soon his attention turns toward the marines who fled into the Atomic. If only LONGINUS could fit inside the ship's halls. Perhaps one of her new crew's first goals would be procuring some kind of battlesuit for boarding action.

As he expects to coasts, something hooks onto LONGINUS' left foot from below. Jackson feels the pilot suit contract against his ankle, and soon his entire body is shifted along with LONGINUS itself, thrown through space by some unknown foce.

The radar picks up a new hostile as LONGINUS tumbles, making its exit out of the far side of the enemy hangar.

A four-legged juggernaut of destruction, armed with a massive grappling hook and bristling with ballistic weapons mounted to shoulder-sponsons. [3 => 3] Jackson wrings off the hook, freeing his mech.

Spoiler: Enemy Mech (click to show/hide)

Rai goes forward making pace back into the ship. "I hope you're suit does sends vitals to your captain, we might not make it back from this trip." In actuality he hopes not, but he needs to to know either way.

If he doesn't have some kind of vitals correspondence, off him with an 6 Speed trachea crush. If he does lead him to that shitty engine room that might interfere with his communications.

(There's no engine room. The only way to get at the Atomic's engine is to go into space.)

"Ha, you take us for police folk. They're assigned all the cool stuff. We just use stuff we take from pirates, and maybe get a hand-me-down here or there."

Good. [9 => 2] As they enter the cargo bay, Rai pushes himself off the wall with his legs and uses his good arm to swiftly cave in the technician's pressure suit. The soft fabric, though providing some resistance owing to internal pressure, folds easily, and the techie is left suffocating in space despite a proper air supply.

The suit is unharmed.

These marines are making such a mess of this ship! They need to be dealt with, quickly.

Abandon the Vulcan and charge into the fray with my Megadrill, spending 5 Strength, 6 Reflex, 1 Dexterity, and 1 Speed to cut through the marines.
"GO TO HELL!"

Expend all dexterity and reflex to dodge the hell away from the mega drill and to pour 2 rounds of PDW ammo into Abledard.

[Con: 6 vs Eddie's 3] Abelard goes in. Eddie can't react in time--firing on Abelard would mean attacking his allies. Which wouldn't be all that bad, but these rounds can't penetrate a human body. They're pretty much the definition of "less lethal," optimized for combat in pressurized interiors.

[29 => 14] [Dodge doesn't matter] The marines are torn asunder. Blood runs everywhere. There are no survivors.

As the pale mist clears, a figure stands expressionless, unfazed by the chaos. He brandishes his submachine gun, and opens fire into the rampaging tech-augmented killer. [5 -> 2] [Con: 1+5-5 ==> 1 turn stun!]
Abelard peers out from behind his digitron, which soaked up the low-caliber rounds with ease. However, the rounds had another effect: embedded capacitors, supercharged with extremely high voltages, let loose a spike of current into Abelards body.

[Abelard is stunned next turn: -12 Constitution]

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:53:46 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2017, 04:11:41 pm »

Recover the body and put on the suit. recover ref with endurance? Or wait such that my ref recovers.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2017, 04:48:47 pm »

"Ya' killed 10 men there boy. Men with families, men with dreams, men with hopes an' goals an' lives all cut short all so y' can live another day. Are y' proud 'f yourself? Do y' think yer life is worth more than all of those y' killed? 'Cause it ain't.

You've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk? Luck's the only thing that can save y' now."

Use 1 ammo to shoot Abelard with the PDW again, take the Megadrill, then attack him with the Megadrill (pump 3 strength).
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11