Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.  (Read 51782 times)

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
Re: Iggalfamthut "Traphorses", a community game without forges.
« Reply #375 on: November 09, 2017, 06:39:23 pm »

No picks is fine by me. I wouldn't like no tree-cutting though since I wouldn't be able to make my dwarfy contraptions without axles  :P

Okay not no picks because we got a cave expansion mod here. No tree cutting would be... annoying at best.

How about this: no butchering?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2017, 06:43:37 pm »

No picks is fine by me. I wouldn't like no tree-cutting though since I wouldn't be able to make my dwarfy contraptions without axles  :P

Okay not no picks because we got a cave expansion mod here. No tree cutting would be... annoying at best.

How about this: no butchering?
Eh, not much of a challenge since a steady food supply is easy to get through farm plots.

How about the opposite instead -- no farming or plant gathering? We live solely off of meat.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 09, 2017, 07:22:10 pm »

Eh, not much of a challenge since a steady food supply is easy to get through farm plots.

How about the opposite instead -- no farming or plant gathering? We live solely off of meat.

That would be hell.

I love it.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 09, 2017, 07:29:01 pm »

*Twitch*

Edit:  Wait a sodding minute.  How would we get booze?  Trading only?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:41:17 pm by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 09, 2017, 07:50:37 pm »

*Twitch*

Edit:  Wait a sodding minute.  How would we get booze?  Trading only?

Well... I just so happen to be working on a mod to brew alcohol from meat... so...

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 09, 2017, 07:52:38 pm »

Wait... What?

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 09, 2017, 10:06:59 pm »

Wait... What?

You heard me right. Don't think I don't take my meat seriously.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 09, 2017, 10:09:30 pm »

Meat-exclusive *and* all animals pet-available at all times.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 09, 2017, 11:46:10 pm »

[...] Don't think I don't take my meat seriously.

So... many... jokes...

That aside, adding that kind of thing on top of the mods and whatever overarching structural goal/limit may be a bit much, no?
Grand Master Depressive
I am a delicate flower!
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 10, 2017, 12:32:20 am »

No picks is feasible if you settle on a cave  in 1 cavern world, or multiple cavern world with downward passages or chasms connecting them.  Might need to  hack/do initial dig of connecting all 3 caverns, and possibly sea and hfs below, to the surface.

Could even be fun to settle on a kobold cave with the update.

I'm not sure where axles are necessary in lieu of rollers of gear assemblies, but both windmills and water wheels require wood to build, so it'd mean being dependent on caravan for imports. Though not much of a dependence; don't need that much power after all.

Therefore, no woodcutting/no axes should also accompany no trading - maybe do that with dead civ and everyone else at war with you. Beds can be obtained by moods and everything else can be made from aluminium.

Hm, pair that "no migrants" condition with creating adventurers of, retiring and marrying off two pairs of animal men. Could be neat to see how long till the last dwarf in the last dwarf settlement on war with all sides dies.

The alcohol from meat is kind of neat, but kinda defeats the point of the challenge in no farming or plant gathering. It's like deciding to do a game without forges and then having ash+bone or superwood armor and weapons that are structurally equivalent to steel.

Though that reminds me of something I saw on the scenario generator - settle on a glacier, everything must be built above ground.

Can do aboveground farming in there with air biomes, but OTOH no water. Still, once that is done the challenge is not much. Unless there's fundead birds in air, which would make settlement and expansion harder.

Initially interesting idea - how about aboveground settlement, no walls or gates, traps or anything blocking line of sight or substantially movement i.e. basically enemy army can see dwarves from any direction they approach from and then don't need to divert their path and can walk straight to them.

Wouldn't stay challenging, though, past certain point it is "just send in the army". A sense of progression could be given if only gear permitted is ones taken off visitors or invaders, though that's pretty much "no forges 2: don't forge harder". Maybe just using foreign weapons in military exclusively?

There's the old vjek's challenge embark to Pseudo, the core of which was deadly hot, deadly rain, reanimating, no water or metals on map. dry caverns and no magma sea. It'd pretty much trivialize killing sieges, though, unless they're fire-resistant sieges.

One more, I guess, though this doesn't appeal much: Try to fulfill what the diplomat asks for like Atolaslob. For every unfulfilled request, fulfil dwarven justice and execute the dwarf with the highest skill in labour that could have produced the request.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:37:05 am by Fleeting Frames »

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 20, 2017, 10:08:58 pm »

* Moonstone_Flower pokes the thread with a 128KB SIMM.

Status update, bloop_bleep?  You didn't get consumed by horrors of the deep, did you?
Grand Master Depressive
I am a delicate flower!

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 27, 2017, 04:37:18 pm »

Maybe we can make the gimmick of the new fort be our dwarves being bandits who raid other places?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 27, 2017, 07:41:48 pm »

Maybe we can make the gimmick of the new fort be our dwarves being bandits who raid other places?

+1

VolcanoQueen

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably a robot or something.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 28, 2017, 01:04:32 am »

That seems like fun. +1
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27