Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should we leave planet Earth

No it is really <comfy> here :^)
Sorry what was the question?
The galaxy is a hoax, nothing exists outside of planet earth.
Why don't scientists do something useful like fix the economy instead?
We don't need to go to vacuum in space, we have vacuums here.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30

Author Topic: Stellaris: Never leave Earth  (Read 82397 times)

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Stellaris: Never leave Earth
« Reply #360 on: December 20, 2017, 05:09:27 pm »

Yeah its supposed to be a Utopia not The Imperium of Man. Constant xenos invasions will not be a good thing, the people deserve some peace.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 21, 2017, 01:08:46 am »

Yeah its supposed to be a Utopia not The Imperium of Man. Constant xenos invasions will not be a good thing, the people deserve some peace.
Oh, we could go the 'Peace by any means' route- a little dark, but we literally already sacrificed entire species and empires to get where we are. We're already a bit on the dark side.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 21, 2017, 04:31:10 am »

Oh, we could go the 'Peace by any means' route- a little dark, but we literally already sacrificed entire species and empires to get where we are. We're already a bit on the dark side.

With the concession that that should apply to all species, I could see our empireterriorial governors accepting that as reasonable. I mean we were even considering trying to spare a few prethoryn quueens so intentional extinctions are not something taken lightly be The United Nations Of The Milky-Way

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 21, 2017, 09:08:26 am »

No, we haven't. As I recall, we never deemed anyone expendable. While the Prethoryn were expanding their boundaries we were fighting with whatever force we had, and we only ran to Olympia at the last moment, allowing everyone else to come as well. Sure, other species got consumed first, but it cannot be denied that we were the first in and the last out in every battle.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 21, 2017, 10:56:37 am »

I like Sirius's idea: Let Earth have a separate government, and keep Olympia and its associated outposts as the protector of the galaxy.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 21, 2017, 12:17:54 pm »

Dang, as with all of LW's glorious LP's (I don't think he ever did a bad one), I find this one after it ends 'v.

Though it let me read it all in one sitting, lovely 45 minutes spent. Thanks LW, you da best <3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 21, 2017, 03:34:15 pm »

Dang, as with all of LW's glorious LP's (I don't think he ever did a bad one), I find this one after it ends 'v.

Though it let me read it all in one sitting, lovely 45 minutes spent. Thanks LW, you da best <3
Do we have a list of LoudWhisper's LPs?
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 21, 2017, 09:31:51 pm »

Not quite a 'list' per se, but here are all the threads Loud Whispers has ever created on Bay12. Does that help?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #368 on: December 23, 2017, 12:08:00 pm »

I figured with the coming of the new age, the post-crisis galaxy would be made more interesting by the addition of a mod. In particular, the more ship classes mod, so that the variety of fleets the successor states would field would be more diverse. This came with a problem, in that the mod also included tougher crises to compensate for the stronger ships, which in particular bypassed the already existing galactic crises flag.

Spoiler: 2868 (click to show/hide)
Admiral Mira Petrenko looked at the reports and sent her fleet out of the star's gravity well to commence a psi jump at once. The Prethoryn were back, she knew for sure.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Vanguard spread over the Western fringe, with several tens of thousands turning into several hundreds of thousands spilling out of the warp breach and into our world. Infestors everywhere sought to latch themselves onto the gaia biospheres generations of Olympians had worked to rebuild. President Helena Gilbert mobilized the civilian fleet and admiralty to commence a hasty defence. The constructors would rebuild the Fortress networks of old, the spaceports would build entire fleets where before there were none, the sectors would provide the material and political will needed to build them.

The UN of Olympia was prepared. Turnus Battlecruisers, Yung Light carriers, the latter unleashing swarms of prethoryn strike craft against the second prethoryn scourge, all fired disciplined barrages upon the prethoryn at their entry points. The ones that escaped could be dealt later, most we could see were on attack vectors to our homeworlds, while the infestors still took a few years to complete subvert a biosphere.

After 2 intense years, the Prethoryn were isolated to Zedran III. Three fleets, all of a strength above 600k orbited the world as an infestor slowly turned it into a prethoryn world. President Helena Gilbert ordered a blockade of Zedran III, to allow the Prethoryn to infest the world. Zedran III was lifeless before the first scourge, and if it was infested could allow for the capturing of a queen. Unexpectedly when Admiral Mira Petrenko arrived in the system, she showed up to the planet and annihilated the infestors before they could take over Zedran III. OOC: I forgot to change her fleet's aggression settings to passive. In character however, it seemed so fitting for Mira Petrenko to ignore the President's orders.

Mira Petrenko was 16 years old when the Prethoryn scourge attacked. By the time the second scourge arrived she was 484 years old. She is the last person alive who was born in the galaxy before the Prethoryn arrived, she is the last who was old enough to remember even a bit of how things were before the scourge arrived. The ships were deconstructed upon the scouring of Zedran III, perhaps prematurely, but fortunately the defence infrastructure was retained. This was because on the year Mira Petrenko was elected President of Olympia, prethoryn survivors were discovered once more at Zedran III, sparking a rushed effort to produce as many corvettes as possible.

The Corvettes, led by Admiral Cui Huang (who by this point was over 280 years old, and nearing her last days), wiped out the remnants. By 2875 the second scourge was entirely eliminated. President Mira Petrenko wanted to ensure there would never more be a repeat of the scourge.

Spoiler: 2895 (click to show/hide)
In the year 2895, the states were at last granted full independence. All successor states were given the choice to join the Union of United Nations, and most importantly the choice to remain independent or form their own federation. There would be no legal or political pressure to join.

Spoiler: 2915 (click to show/hide)
10 years later, the galaxy celebrates its 10th birthday.

There are innumerable quantities of humans now - but not only that, an immense multitude of subspecies. While the UN of Olympia appreciates the efforts of the other star nations to increase the biodiversity of the galaxy, it does make bookkeeping rather painful, and some of the mutations are puzzling - one human species is modified to be nutritious when processed as cattle! Highly alarming.

The future looks bright. The Union of United Nations, the Sanguine Axis, the Celestial League, the Propitious Concord, the Bright Alliance - all are in harmony with one another. The Five Federations are peaceful, with their citizens free to travel between them, and I hope that this peace shall continue once all the planets are colonized.

Some observations:
The Lagin'Chuuz assimilating their pops into their cybernetic society. Interesting!

The United Nations of Nueva Sonora sent a colony ship to Round Nut, only to find to their surprise, there were buildings already on the planet. Primitive factories, primitive farms.

With a bit of repair and modernisation, the primitive infrastructure was put to use by the colonists, at least until they could be replaced with modern alternatives. This would be the last such archaeological find. I wonder what happened to this civilization? Did they wipe themselves out, or were they consumed by some interstellar state in the early days, or perhaps the prethoryn devoured them? If a civilization cries, but no one hears, did it make a sound? Sad memories, and only Mira Petrenko is old enough to remember them.

So yeah, I'm going to give maybe 50-100 more years to see if peace reigns supreme, but I think this is it: The UN has definitively won, its ideals are governing the stars and every world is a utopia in the stars.

Do we have a list of LoudWhisper's LPs?
I've never thought to do so, because I didn't really think people would want to read them ;D
I may compile one later. A lot of my stuff is scattered between threads, or LPs I never finished. I am currently compiling one of my longest LPs here though.

Haha thanks Haspen

No, we haven't. As I recall, we never deemed anyone expendable. While the Prethoryn were expanding their boundaries we were fighting with whatever force we had, and we only ran to Olympia at the last moment, allowing everyone else to come as well. Sure, other species got consumed first, but it cannot be denied that we were the first in and the last out in every battle.
Speaking of which, a list of all dead species:
The Cormathani, a species of industrious turtle people, evolved to live in cold tundras.
The Ganvius, plantoids suited for the desert, short-lived but adaptable to many climates.
The Hiffnar - our lion people we tried so desperately to save.
The Havariggans, molluscoids with four jaws, natural engineers who pioneered much of the research which made defeating the prethoryn possible.
Tchaaskeran, plantoids who lived in evergreen forests in the cold. They lived on one planet, which was consumed by the prethoryn.
The Vivisandia, carnivorous plantoids, strong plants with a mind for engineering. Eaten very early in the war against the scourge.
The Wacegi, molluscoids - one of the last species consumed by the scourge, unfortunately attacked in the final phase of the second expansion, before Olympia built the habitats.
The Panaxala - arthrapoids consumed in the first 30 years of the Prethoryn invasion.
The Queptilium, plantoids who were enslaved by the Adnori and provided the majority of the minerals needed to build more Adnori ships. Wiped out by the scourge in the second phase of expansion.
The Sibulans, devoured in the opening years of the second phase of expansion.
The Zanaami - one of the states which provided the strongest resistance to the southern expansion of the prethoryn. Unfortunately they possessed little strategic depth, so once the scourge attacked their worlds, they were unable to build enough ships to stop their worlds being consumed entirely.

Indeed. Plus, after the second prethoryn scourge was defeated in 2-7 years by just one state, it's likely that the Unbidden, facing 19 states? They would die very quickly. I'm instead going to try and fiddle with the ethics attraction stuff to see if I can cause more natural problems instead of "big ayyy lmao force from outer galaxy attacks" every sunday. But more than that, the states haven't even rebuilt the galaxy yet, thus why should we consider war? It's far too soon. Mira Petrenko is too tired for this xD

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 23, 2017, 03:31:24 pm »

So the galaxy is united under essentially one giant federation (five federations, but in practice the largest one goes across the whole galaxy and everyone gets along), we have diverse alien species everywhere, but also fucktons of humans inhabiting every rock, and we have space magic.
...Did you just recreate the starwars universe?
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 23, 2017, 03:32:59 pm »

Nine hundred years in the future, in this very galaxy...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #371 on: December 23, 2017, 05:35:11 pm »

Nine hundred years in the future, in this very galaxy...
I AM THE SENATE

So the galaxy is united under essentially one giant federation (five federations, but in practice the largest one goes across the whole galaxy and everyone gets along), we have diverse alien species everywhere, but also fucktons of humans inhabiting every rock, and we have space magic.
...Did you just recreate the starwars universe?
FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE CONCLAVE ARE EVIL

So yeah, I modified the ethics shifts to make it so that democratic states aren't homogenous & static in perpetuity anymore

As of 2941 there are new kids on the block. The Citizens for Freedom Foundation are the most recent incarnation of our first individualist faction, concerned with the freedom, liberty and well-being of the galaxy's citizens. The Alien Reform Organization are concerned with all of the above with focus on protecting alien pops from oppressive policies. The Church of Spiritual Philosophy advocates for spiritualism, but for political reasons it's best to keep it marginalized - Admiral Mira Petrenko could become too powerful if the Church of Spiritual Philosophy becomes too powerful. The Internal Growth Association is the second largest party, which is unsurprising as they're the pacifist faction and it's one of the longest periods of peace the galaxy has ever known. The Citizen Elite Union advocate for more centralized civil and military control, but their true agenda is to abolish the democratic state altogether and place themselves at the top of a new hierarchy. The Human Ascendancy Movement wants to remove all aliens from all levels of society, from the leadership to the voting booths and the planets altogether. The Non-Interventionist Forum want to isolate the UN of Olympia from the politics of the galaxy.
Thus far the chances of the CEU and the HAM winning any election are extremely slim. Political races all centre around the CFF, IGA & ARO, with the CSP entering the mix every time Mira is not needed in the admiralty.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 23, 2017, 05:37:45 pm »

Why the fuck.

You had a winning Utopia game and now you're gonna mess with it for...what, shits and giggles?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 23, 2017, 05:41:54 pm »

Aw, no Materialists for us here in the thread to roleplay as.
ACTUALLY the Republic of Buktryx Tymcrix have the right idea! Let's all stick cybery bits in ourselves and be robophychics!
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #374 on: December 23, 2017, 06:18:57 pm »

Why the fuck.

You had a winning Utopia game and now you're gonna mess with it for...what, shits and giggles?
The current state of the galaxy is that all the planets have been colonized and are developing wonderfully, if in some unexpected ways as with the Republic of Buktryx Tymcrix. For example, the United Nations of Nueva Sonora have not let the lack of planets stop them from expanding inwards:
Constructing lots of habitats everywhere! And I will further go on to state that this is not winning Utopia game, rather, it has definitively won. Every state is a form of democracy (well I believe the Vailons currently have a shadow council behind their democracy, but it's still in the spirit of things), every state is a utopia in the stars living off of the abundance of resources built using Olympian technology, everyone is getting along with everyone with the Five Federations being of absolute trust and harmony. It is at the point where I have to think of ways to shake up the galaxy otherwise everything will pretty much just stay at this point and there won't be any need to play further - given how my game is slowing down owing to the much larger populations, that time may be soon. Thus I'm adding this to see if it changes anything, and in the meantime I'll put the timer down and count the sands. I'll assemble a Union of United Nations Naval parade - a last commemoration of galactic peace, tour it from capital to capital and if nothing happens by then, then it's done. Utopia is so stable, so harmonized, that its interruption is impossible. As for why? It's in the exploration of the story. Before the scourge the galaxy had those other pops, the authoritarians, the military-industrialists, the purifiers and the isolationists, and I had fun trying to make them into federation material. But in this galaxy without modification everyone thinks the same. They started off as federation material, and stayed there. The only issue of controversy is if you prefer psychic organics of slow evolution, psychic organics of accelerated evolution or psychic organics with cybernetics. The addition of the 8% shall at the very least, make for more interesting lore. The galactic states with no external threats must look inwards to solve these disputes. To clarify, if it should be so desired, I could easily wipe out the CEU and HAM in a decade.
I also must admit I'm weighing up how I intend to leave this story, which is why I haven't eliminated the antagonist insurgents yet. Should I leave the story as is: The United Nations of the Stars? Or aligning with the CEU to get Mira Petrenko elected as an enlightened despot, an immortal monarch to protect the rights, liberty and diversity of all living things? Pretty much the exact same as before, but now with an immortal leader in perpetuity. Either way this would be where I end the story, because there is nothing more to be done. The Utopia is as prosperous and stable as it is capable of being.

Personally I lean towards Mira becoming the enlightened despot as the end. Power consolidates even without conscious attempts to claim it. Mira is the oldest human alive, nearing her 500th birthday, is an immortal and the most powerful psionic in the cosmos, is the Chosen One of the Shroud, is a war hero who fought and eliminated both prethoryn scourges for centuries, all of her political rivals died centuries ago, she is one of only two Admirals (the highest military rank) with the other admiral soon to die of old age, has been President more times than any other living or dead human and is popular and protective of all her citizens. Unless she was assassinated, lore-wise there is no one left who can stop her. Even assassins would be hard pressed to kill someone who looks into the future. The only other question then, is would Mira Petrenko take control if it was offered?

Aw, no Materialists for us here in the thread to roleplay as.
ACTUALLY the Republic of Buktryx Tymcrix have the right idea! Let's all stick cybery bits in ourselves and be robophychics!
While no materialists have popped for us, the Adnori have adopted materialism. I think it's because we don't have many natural scientist pops or synths in our state
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30