Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 119

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 255069 times)

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
  • i should really migrate my saves...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1290 on: May 13, 2020, 05:47:09 pm »

working on getting the basic attributes down for each breed.

question. how would i go about creating the spines for this dude?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dawnthunder: It menaces with spikes of tetanus
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

The nest boxes were immediately overrun by helmet snakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: May 13, 2020, 06:06:13 pm »

I would create a new body part definition, with a single horn defined, and then make it a number of horns with he number token, same way teeth work. Use one definition for horns on the back of the neck, then duplicate it for the body, wings and the tail. Then another definition to add a single horn to each foot.

If the horns are cut off, all of the ones created by the same definition will come off at the same time, but that shouldn't be a big deal.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #1292 on: May 14, 2020, 04:24:15 pm »

To add to Eric's suggestion (which is the best route btw) just set their [CATEGORY:HORN] and normal BDPs will apply the needed BONE and HORN tissues over it (as long as you'be defined BONE and HORN tissues)

also if this dragon has a gore attack, make sure you adjust the gore attack to only use the horns on the head

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: May 16, 2020, 09:17:47 pm »

can i just stick the new body part definition in the same file as the rest of the modded content? and should i make a separate thread for my questions? i'm not great at forums so idk the etiquette...
After the fire had burned down all of the wooden next boxes on the surface, Mottled Petrel was reluctant to replace them with more wooden nest boxes. Instead, he placed the remaining store of wooden nest boxes in the dormitory for any aspiring koopa mothers.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: May 16, 2020, 11:53:02 pm »

You can ask as many questions as you need over in the modding creatures and entities questions thread, most questions can be answered quickly, hopefully. Starting your own thread will probably get more suggestions on development directions not directly related to your questions, though.

I think I've finally got worldgen relatively stable. Turns out you have to have at least -10 to the leisure time to prevent fishing-related worldgen crashes? But there's still the occasional crash I can't account for. I'm thinking of doing away with the materials requirement for generating aether salts and just having them produced slowly out of a free reaction, like a 1-5% chance to produce some. Or get rid of aether salts as a reagent requirement altogether? Not sure there. It was originally supposed to be a stop gap that prevents you from just quickly spawning in everything with no effort, but it's a cheesy mechanic anyway. Not that every other aspect of "studying" or "learning" as implemented isn't cheesy. For a long time there I used cheese materials/items as the basis for the essences you eat, but carnivores refuse to eat cheese, hence switching to fish. Before that it was the inhale-able boiling material method, which is stupidly unreliable in general.

I wish, dearly, that I could just spawn books that have secrets written in them which dwarves can learn by reading the book. But there's really no way to force that to happen via reaction or interaction, even though I could at this point totally make every spell a secret that can be learned by eating an essence and then you can write it down and learn it from the books (at least I think that would work? I'm not sure, would have to actually test it.). You'd still have to learn the secret second-hand like from an essence, then get the dwarf who ate the essence to write a book about the secret for everyone else.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:05:30 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: May 17, 2020, 01:50:14 am »

Both Leisure_time and Merriment crash civs with No_Eat and permitted_job:Fish_cleaner unless they're negative.

nezclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: May 17, 2020, 08:01:31 pm »

i'm at the point where i'm staring at the file and thinking "i've got enough tokens defined, right? i can TOTALLY gen a world with this!" even though i'm pretty sure i don't.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1297 on: May 17, 2020, 08:28:04 pm »

Code-merged and uploaded all three tile-versions
of latest OldGenesis. Enough changes had accumulated.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: May 21, 2020, 04:31:33 pm »

A while back someone posted a variant of the standard material emission interaction that emits two different predefined materials at the same time. I've been trying to replicate that and failing miserably. Would anyone who remembers where it was posted/has saved it mind posting it again?

Nevermind its on the "interaction examples" page on the wiki which I forgot existed.

The new kineroch lightning spell will hit you with solid and liquid globs of both lightning and thunder simultaneously! Very powerful! I've also fixed the conjuring otherworldly beings reaction; it now produces an essence-fish just like spells and potions do. Eat that to gain the soul of the creature and power to conjure it into this plane. It summons one of many different things at random, which could be great if you get an angelic warrior to fight for you, or really, really bad if you summon a crazed demonic warrior that eats your face.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 04:55:56 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: May 22, 2020, 03:04:11 pm »

I came to a realization about my modding.

Most of the stuff I add... Makes no difference to the average fortress, because its in the ocean.

Not gonna stop adding sea life though, its kinda my passion. I'll just have to make more amphibious critters
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1300 on: May 23, 2020, 03:39:17 pm »

I came to a realization about my modding. Most of the stuff I add... Makes no difference to the average fortress, because its in the ocean.
Not gonna stop adding sea life though, its kinda my passion. I'll just have to make more amphibious critters
Could make ghost/wraith/phantom versions of your new sea creatures, so they appear in marshes and other?
"Goddammit, it's another group of PHANTOM DOLPHINS in the sky.""

edit: old phantom raven, ultra super dodging.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:10:16 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: May 23, 2020, 03:45:14 pm »

That's what I should do! Make magical flying whales/dolphins!

Ive been working on new magical critters again. I'm making a tarantula made of vines now. One of many plant-creatures I wanted to do. Not thinking of doing venom, but maybe it could produce webs of vines.
I make Spellcrafts!

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: May 24, 2020, 10:37:52 pm »

I came to a realization about my modding. Most of the stuff I add... Makes no difference to the average fortress, because its in the ocean.
Could make ghost/wraith/phantom versions of your new sea creatures, so they appear in marshes and other?
"Goddammit, it's another group of PHANTOM DOLPHINS in the sky.""

edit: old phantom raven, ultra super dodging.

One of my first mod attempts was flying versions of various fish in evil biomes.

could do that again~ Surprisingly, Dorf Fort doesnt *actually* have dolphins yet. Or blue whales. So, this mod im making added them, even if theyll be seen oh-so-rarely.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Tallcastle

• Bay Watcher
  • Every nightmare you've ever had.
    • View Profile
    • Tallcastle's Graphics Repository - Bay 12 Forum
« Reply #1303 on: May 26, 2020, 07:34:20 am »

been trying to give real value to otherwise useless extracts (liquid fire, golden salve, etc...)

one of my attempts with golden salve didn't go well (you can see it here)

I've also been doing some !SCIENCE! on how secrets spread during world generation outside of necromancer towers.  I've been especially interested in how the Knowledge and scholar system would effect this spread.
Set the :secrets: setting to '0' and included a few custom ones to avoid the towers
ran 30~40 medium worlds 200~300 years each.
Every 3~5 iterations I would adjust some minor personality facets to see what would change from a baseline averaged from 10 standard worlds.
found some interesting things combing threw the legends...

in 5 worlds, maxing the VALUE:KNOWLEDGE in the entity_defult.txt file for the 4 races consistently results in a high number of Libraries generating in the world (3 per world up from an average of 1.8 ) the number of Goblins in the world where consistently high in all 5 worlds (at least 50% of major entities where goblins)

in 3 worlds, setting [PERSONALITY:PERSEVERANCE:80:90:100] for all 4 races in the creatures_standard.txt file resulted in an increased number of tablets issued by gods (around 7 per world, up from an average of 5.1)

in 3 worlds setting [PERSONALITY:CURIOUS:70:80:90] to all core races in creatures_standard.txt resulted in dwarf civs and populations doing conspicuously well overall (+1000 more dwarf pops on average) 'other' pops tend to be higher and more prosperous.  ALSO - while the number of libraries remained average the amount of 'Written Content Composed' and 'Knowledge Discovered' saw a 20% to 40% increase.  One such world had a Secret slab issued by a Dwarf god to an especially devout 'Mountain Goat Man'.

a few worlds had a number of interesting events worthy of note.

As secrets where set to '0' no necromancers spawned, my custom secrets did not have any references to "experiments." on 2 separate occasions Demons where responsible for performing "Horrible Experiments" one demon after taking over a Goblin Civ, did horrible experiments 5 times as part of various wars, in another, Goblins had taken over the entire world, the last Dwarf civ had pierced the underworld at the same time as being attacked by a Goblin army, any dwarf not mutilated by the Goblins was experimented on by the Demons.

3 occasions a secret was spread as the result the intrigue system.  The Secret holding entity would offer 'Immortality' as part of a plot (it didnt always work but seeing it happen at all makes the notion of 'cult' like secret groups an intriguing possibility)

an average of 5~6 entities would learn secrets per world, of those an average of 1.8 would ever go on to author books on their own.  of the +50 or Authors and +300 books, only 3 contained secrets that where learned by others.  This was not reliable and no changes i made could account for it, in one case a single slab ended up in a library where it was read by 9 others.  Over 100 books where written by these 10 secret keepers and not ONE of these works (as far as i could tell) had a secret written in it.

lastly as a modding note, If a god has access to multiple secrets that come from multiple Spheres, then issues a Secret Slab to a worshoper, then that slab will occasionaly teach the wrong secret than that indicated on the slab.

Example:in one case a God with the Spheres WATER and EARTH, issued a slab containing "The Secret of Living Water" but when read, taught "The Secrets of Living Earth" when instead.

Skilled Pixel Artist(Link)
Prone to flights of fancy.
Dreams of crafting a Masterwork Pixel Art Some Day

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: May 26, 2020, 07:54:45 am »

I came to a realization about my modding.

Most of the stuff I add... Makes no difference to the average fortress, because its in the ocean.

Sounds really interesting. I like coastal fortresses, what features did you add? Lots of wildlife? Can it be encountered at the beach?
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 119