Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 120

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 257484 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1305 on: May 26, 2020, 04:56:48 pm »

I came to a realization about my modding.

Most of the stuff I add... Makes no difference to the average fortress, because its in the ocean.

Sounds really interesting. I like coastal fortresses, what features did you add? Lots of wildlife? Can it be encountered at the beach?

Not a lot yet. Just a handful of fishable vermin, humboldt squids (Renamed to "Jumbo squids" to keep the dorf fort aesthetic), and four variants of whale, two of which based off Endless Ocean (The Blue Whale, 52 Hertz Whale (a mysterious whale call we've never actually seen the cause of, so I just made it a savage variant), the White Mother (a giant blue whale in good biomes), and the Singing Dragons (Just rare whales)

however, knowing theres actual interest in coastal forts beyond my memey tomfoolery, ill go back into ocean work. Theres always fun options for that.

Edit: OH, I'm not just working with water oceans in this mod. I'm adding life to the magma sea, too, to make your forges that much more of a risky preposition. Currently, magma fish (basically just red fireproof coelecanths), and magma krakens (Massive fireproof octopi). Both are also unbreathing, so if they spot you, they *Can* come out of the magma to give you a hard time.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:22:52 pm by Kyubee »
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 27, 2020, 02:19:08 pm »

I made a lot of experiments with PROPEL_UNIT and so far nothing work besides what we can read in the interaction examples. So it can only push an enemy away from you, without selecting locations.

That's a bit disappointing as I was expecting to be able to push in any direction, up, down, enemies against each other, etc.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 28, 2020, 03:34:52 am »

Made a subspecies of dragons that have a weaker fire breath but can inject venom with their bites. Forgot to decrease the melting point for the venom, causing it to be superheated on injection. Which incinerates victims into ash from the inside within seconds, not even leaving a corpse. This is a nice effect but not what I had in mind...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 28, 2020, 07:35:21 am »

Thats beautiful.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1309 on: May 28, 2020, 09:05:01 am »

Made a subspecies of dragons that have a weaker fire breath but can inject venom with their bites. Forgot to decrease the melting point for the venom, causing it to be superheated on injection. Which incinerates victims into ash from the inside within seconds, not even leaving a corpse. This is a nice effect but not what I had in mind...

I've also done this with super-cold venom.  The victim's corpse decomposes and vanishes without a trace seconds after death.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1310 on: May 28, 2020, 10:40:27 am »

I made a lot of experiments with PROPEL_UNIT and so far nothing work besides what we can read in the interaction examples. So it can only push an enemy away from you, without selecting locations.

That's a bit disappointing as I was expecting to be able to push in any direction, up, down, enemies against each other, etc.
If the enemies line up then they will slam into each other atleast, pretty fun to see when it happens.

Very nice, I've got something similar going on with a Wrath-based megabeast. Bleeds magma, but as it has a high body temperature its not affected by the heat produced, when alive anyway.
Once it dies though, its body begins to burn up, as the materials its made from aren't fireproof. Leaves nothing behind (aside from the spreading fire, obviously).

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 29, 2020, 05:10:08 pm »

I gave up on trying to make my compost mounds drop mound tubers on butchering; instead they straight up create the veggies roughly once per season. Since the mounds are not domestic creatures and they cannot breed, the best use of dropped tubers is to brew them and plant the seeds.

Butchering a compost mound now yields a poor quality green tourmaline figurine that represents the creature's crystalline golem core.

I've also realized I shouldn't have made these lads out of actual soil, because they were a little too hardcore, with soil being stone and all that. Not only was it impossible to hit the core, but dealing any kind of damage was way too difficult. Now they are made of a custom material that's easy to pierce without being too flimsy.

Edit:
Now that I think about it, my strandcats may also be a bit unfair, being killable only by bisection. I'll give them a central node made of soft fungus in their upper bodies, and in return I'll make their heads non-essential.

Another edit:
Finally got my stuff together and started making those T'lethian pets. The first is the deep one - a chimaera made from alien and human embryos. It can discharge electricity, causing pain, blisters and sometimes paralysis to its enemies.

During the first test an unarmed human managed to defeat a deep one, which shouldn't happen considering electricity, size, and aqua-plastics body armor that should give the aliens the upper hand.
During the second test I took control of the deep one, and immediately went for a discharge. I dropped to the ground paralyzed, and my enemy stomped me to death. I can imagine things like that being detrimental to aquatoid invasion, so I made all TFTD creatures (currently two) immune to this syndrome.

I've also adjusted the T'lethians themselves a bit - tasoths and lobster men no longer have metal scales and shells; instead I went for material force multiplier. An armed dwarf of moderate skill can take down unarmed tasoths and lobster men, not to mention aquatoids and gillmen. I'm not sure how the things will turn out once the aliens come with aqua-plastics vibro blades and sonic-blasta rifles.

Madde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: June 06, 2020, 04:59:02 am »

I am making a swamp crone semi-megabeast, somewhat inspired by the Crones of Crookback Bog from the Witcher 3. I found the vanilla semis to be really bland, so I plan to make these creatures sort of a mid-game boss encounter by giving them a variety of cool abilities to test the prowess of the fort's military.

They will have a push force/short term stun aura to deter melee attackers, a continuous inhalable gas secretion that can cause the lungs to rot, the ability to summon a few slow moving oozes that explode on death, and some generic kind of projectile attack. I've also been thinking about giving them the ability to "corrupt" livestock from afar by giving their muscle tissue some kind of ingestible syndrome effect, but I am unsure if this can be done with CE_BODY_MAT_INTERACTION. Aditionally, they will be extremely slow walkers, to prevent them from running headfirst into melee combat.

I am unsure about the body layout yet. They will probably be at least somewhat humanoid in nature, but some unusual extremities and a really thick layer of fat are to be expected.
The oozes will be similar to cave blobs, filled with some liquid/gas substance that can leak out. I don't exactly know what kind of syndrome effect it will have, I tend to like spreading diseases and minor injury effects more than instant advanced brain necrosis, so it'll most likely be just a minor annoyance like skin blisters and a fever.

To help the crones spread in world-gen, they'll be spouse converters, but only if that tag doesn't prevent them from attacking player-made sites.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1313 on: June 07, 2020, 02:30:00 am »

Spouse converter seems to only work with night creatures - I don't think it works with megabeasts (it definitely doesn't work with civilized creatures).

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: June 12, 2020, 01:25:56 am »

Clenched my teeth and resumed the work on Cavern fauna. Here's the results:
-Compost mound - a loam golem. Changed it a little bit so that it has a chance to drop a mound tuber, a truffle-carrot, and a shem root. All those plants are edible and brewable, and very valuable.
-Mushroom brawler - Mike Tyson's fungal cousin, a large mushroom man with fists made of woody fungal tissue. Edible.
-Spore swallower - a long-legged, broad-billed bird, like a flamingo combined with a shoebill and a pelican. Eats spores, at least fluff-wise.
-Cave glider - a mix between a fox, a weasel, and a flying squirrel. Extremely fast in the air. Hunts vermin and its pelts are worth a bit more than normal.
-Tender - a four-legged crab that keeps spore-spewing mushrooms on its back for protection. Think Paras, except symbiotic, no parasitosis going on.

Next batch will contain dudes made of mold, mushroom nymphs, and tapir-elephants.

The work on the modpack is also progressing nicely. I'm craming more and more into it, and there's still no errorlog or worldgen crashes.

mgsicko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 18, 2020, 05:18:18 pm »

Hello everyone, new to the forum and sorry if this doesn't exactly belong here. Downloaded an old mod (Haberdasher cloth mod) and it includes some custom civs, which seem intent on colonizing the sea. I, however, want nothing to do with water-based civilizations. Does anyone know what kind of flags should be removed or added to the civs so they behave... normally? The entity of one of the civs is in the spoiler, if anyone can help me

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 18, 2020, 05:44:04 pm »

change ALL_MAIN in the biomes to ANY_LAND.

The creatures and entities question thread is technically the correct place to ask these questions, but whatever.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

mgsicko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 19, 2020, 07:38:36 am »

Sorry, i'll be more careful in the future, and thank you very much

Edit: yep, that worked alright, just for the register
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:51:27 am by mgsicko »

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 20, 2020, 05:52:09 pm »

Why I cannot give obsidian weapons in Arena?

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 20, 2020, 07:12:51 pm »

currently thinking on races to add/modify to balance out the number of civilizations, current plan is basically:

+2 large humanoid civilizations (human sized), one for ocean and another for good biomes
+2 small humanoid civilizations (kobold sized), one for desert and another for tundras

at least 1 of those is already on the game which is Merpeople, im trying to find information on whether a race without legs can move around on land and if its possible to make new types of farming industries and activities on water for amphibian creatures (algae farming, mussell farms, coral farms?) that can supplement and give an extra to the vanilla activities.

im also planning on my own twist for Kobold civilization.

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 120