Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 291801 times)

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Chapter II: Ice and Fire
« Reply #1035 on: January 03, 2018, 03:07:44 pm »

I was first thinking about  just seize her and see if they have some kind of poison because i didn't thought that it was a real psy attack but...

I've decided to send this story on a dive for the "fantasy" side of things.

And, hmm we will have a catastrophe in 3 days, and these guys will surely benefit from it

A: Do nothing
B: lock them, the people will beguin yelling that the god's will punish us, and shit will strike the earth
C: have these morons control us, but we could use this as a two way gate... My fear is people thinking that the bioweapon is a tool of destruction from god because we allied an religion
D: Grab info, they will eventually say that the bioweapon is a curse from god, but we can do something from inside
E:  grab the leader, See B
F: Oh yes, screw them hard, see B

C But we can do D secretly at the same time? later we can slowly undo that or remove leaderships to ones that we can control better, were a bit evil after all. Grab the cleric and make clear that if they become a stone in our way we can become a stone on their way, so better they help us if they want more power because of HER request she put her faith in a field of intrigue and problems that will be an headache that she didn't asked for, and her first step is to remover her curse on our officer or showing whatever venom she has hidden in her pocket.
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: January 04, 2018, 01:18:39 am »

If nobody else has opinions, I'll take Omada's suggestion to ally with them but gather information to keep them honest. That's your cue to chime in, Paxie/Fallacy/Dusty
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: January 04, 2018, 03:52:12 pm »

No takers? Ah whatever...

C and D have been selected. Cost of the option: (SAN -6, INF +1|-4) (-3 picked)

SAN is the lower of original two. INF is in between the original two costs

“Merrowitz, we may want to agree to their demands. If they trust us we can manipulate them to a degree,” Celling whispered back.

“You really think so?” Merrowitz asked.

“In light of the information I’ve gotten from my trip to the Andes? It seems to be the best course of action.”

Merrowitz sighed. “Oh, all right,” she said, turning back to the cleric. “Come back! We’ve agreed to consider your offer.”

The cleric sat back down in the chair. “You have agreed to bring your people into the light of the Children of the Shrubbery?”

“I said, we will consider it,” Merrowitz repeated, a tone of annoyance creeping into her voice.

“There is nothing to consider,” the cleric calmly continued. “And it is not an offer. All of you must turn to the truth of the Overgrown God or face the… consequences.”

Merrowitz groaned.

Celling leapt to his feet and slammed the table hard. “Let me make one thing clear. Do not mistake our agreement for blind acquiescence. We are not going to be lackeys for you to kick around like dogs, because, in case you’ve forgotten, we quite literally run this town. You might have the support of the populace but you have no right or reason to threaten us. We’ll help you, and you’ll help us, and if you cause trouble for us we’ll cause trouble for you. That’s the deal i offer, and you’re going to take it or leave it because this is the best you’re getting.”

The cleric’s eyebrows raised at his verbal assault, but otherwise seemed totally unfazed by this. “If you say so,” she said.

“Alright,” Celling answered, sitting back down. “First thing to do. Release the curse or poison or whatever you put on that officer.”

“Haven’t I told you?” the cleric asked, surprised. “I do not pretend to have anything to do with that. How can I reverse something I did not do?”

“So you actually have no idea what caused it?” Merrowitz asked, skeptically.

“I am certain what caused it. The Overgrown God chose to withdraw his love.”

Merrowitz sank her head slowly into her hands. Celling asked, “Can you pray or do something to reverse his decision?”

“It is the just punishment,” the cleric stated. “For rejecting the truth of the Overgrown God. You all face the same if you turn on us.”

“Seas below and stars above, I’ve forgotten how mind-bogglingly thick religious people can be,” Merrowitz whispered. “Go!” she shouted. “Just get out of here, go. Out that door.”

The cleric left. Merrowitz sat straight up again. “Celling, you mentioned hearing something from those prophets?”

“Yes. In three days, Brazil is getting hit with a bioweapon.”

Merrowitz stared at him.

“That’s perfectly harmless to Antarcticans. But lethal to Brazilians.”

“...are you actually kidding me?” Merrowitz asked.

“No, ma’am.”

“And they’re sure of this.”

“Actually, the way their precognitive powers work they can’t be sure of anything. EXCEPT that we’ll get hit with a bioweapon in three days.”

Merrowitz swore loudly.

“Is there actually no end to the pile of crud that the universe can throw at us?” she asked.

“I’m assuming that was a rhetorical question,” Celling said, “but no. There is no end.”

The flashback is almost over. The rebel thing will occur in a day.

It’s free action time. Propose any action you can take within 24 hours that will, as Merrowitz says, “reduce the size of the idiot-fest we’re sitting in”.

For your convenience here’s a list of things we have. I’ve likely missed some things, please correct me.

• +1 military
  • +2 scientific
  • +0 informational
  • +0 political
  • BONUS: Scientific designs get one die automatically 4
  • BONUS: D7s are rolled on anything relating to Wenton Celling
  • Fingerprint scanners on military base doors
  • Uplifted dogs
  • Lobotomized child soldiers called “Cherubs”
  • Plans for a shield against Andantesite wormhole disruption, although power-intensive and requiring a lot of Andantesite
  • Large, cracked Andantesite shard, ready to link
  • Radio-frequency Andantesite disruptor - 14.03 hour working time
  • Loading of wormhole onto SFN Pylos planned, to follow Magellan back home
  • Hammerspace parrot
  • Venomous implants for dogs
No costs for things in this section. Everyone around you will basically take any good idea.

Things already being done:

• Send a spy to the Children of the Shrubbery
  • Use Parrot to contact Erin Quill and David Eborrenial
And as I promised, any d6 rolled becomes a d7.

Sanity check

Fame carryover: Influence +1%, Fame -1
Chose to negotiate as well as spy: Sanity -6%, Influence -3%

Sanity: 94%
Influence: 98%
Fame: +0
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: January 04, 2018, 04:34:04 pm »

Are those proposed visible light anti-Andantesite laser guns ever going to happen?

As for the current situation, I want every political office in Brazil (and other regions in South America loyal to us, presumably its entirety) notified of the current situation and current policy, so as to ensure that we don't have any left hand v. right hand situations pop up due to miscommunication. (Presumably, this would mainly be an Information bonus, maybe a Political or Military one)

Also, what was the number of timelines where telling people to wash their hands and stuff caused panic v. number that helped v. number that just didn't have an effect? I want to know what a roll of that would look like. Yes, I realize it may not be 100% accurate because things we did today may have changed the breakdown of timelines from yesterday, and the oracles can only see stuff 24 hours or more ahead, but it's better than a wholly uninformed decisions.
I hope.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: January 04, 2018, 07:20:26 pm »

Are those proposed visible light anti-Andantesite laser guns ever going to happen?

Did we have lasers in the late 20th century?

No.

As for the current situation, I want every political office in Brazil (and other regions in South America loyal to us, presumably its entirety) notified of the current situation and current policy, so as to ensure that we don't have any left hand v. right hand situations pop up due to miscommunication. (Presumably, this would mainly be an Information bonus, maybe a Political or Military one)

Just let me clarify that we're in Argentina, not Brazil. I basically picked Brazil as a random South American country to name-drop, but I've always pictured this happening on the Pacific coast. We have small colonies in Brazil, I'll elaborate further later, but Argentina and Chile are where the main population centers are.

Telling them the "current policy" might be a problem as we are not actually in formal rebellion - we're just dragging our feet whenever Padelheb tells us to do something. Making it official... may not sit well. I'll roll it, though. Factor it into the results.

Also, what was the number of timelines where telling people to wash their hands and stuff caused panic v. number that helped v. number that just didn't have an effect? I want to know what a roll of that would look like. Yes, I realize it may not be 100% accurate because things we did today may have changed the breakdown of timelines from yesterday, and the oracles can only see stuff 24 hours or more ahead, but it's better than a wholly uninformed decisions.
I hope.

Here you go.

“But we need more information. Can we slow the spread of the plague by, say, encouraging hand washing?”

“I’ve tested that. In 68 of the 87 potential timelines, making any public statements about health just encourages panic and actually spreads the plague further, as well as causing social and economical disruption. Only 4 timelines actually contain a decline on plague spread from telling people to wash hands. It’s highly contagious and spreads by air and seems to be mostly moved by carriers traveling long distances. I’ll inform you if these odds change in any way.”

That means in 15 timelines it's just totally ineffective.

I haven't decided on how I'll handle this timeline thing, though. Roll dice? Actually simulate every timeline? How do I model the ways that narrowing it down affects probability? Is the truth of an event decided upon ahead of time? I really don't know.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: January 04, 2018, 07:39:59 pm »

No.
Yeeeees?

The first optical laser was built in 1960. Masers, which are identical with lasers but in a different frequency, existed even earlier. The principles behind lasers, which could in principle have allowed the breakthrough to be made at any time, date back to Einstein.

The reason we didn't use laser guns at that time is not because the technology didn't exist, but because lasers make a phenomenally stupid form of weapon.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: January 04, 2018, 08:02:30 pm »

Just let me clarify that we're in Argentina, not Brazil. I basically picked Brazil as a random South American country to name-drop, but I've always pictured this happening on the Pacific coast. We have small colonies in Brazil, I'll elaborate further later, but Argentina and Chile are where the main population centers are.

Telling them the "current policy" might be a problem as we are not actually in formal rebellion - we're just dragging our feet whenever Padelheb tells us to do something. Making it official... may not sit well. I'll roll it, though. Factor it into the results.
We're in South America, that's the point of location that matters.
And this is specifically regarding the scientologist guys and other things that aren't specifically against Antarctica, not the anti-Padel stuff.
Basically, it's just "make sure everyone is talking with each other and knows what's going on".

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: January 04, 2018, 08:27:24 pm »

No.
Yeeeees?

The first optical laser was built in 1960. Masers, which are identical with lasers but in a different frequency, existed even earlier. The principles behind lasers, which could in principle have allowed the breakthrough to be made at any time, date back to Einstein.

The reason we didn't use laser guns at that time is not because the technology didn't exist, but because lasers make a phenomenally stupid form of weapon.

Welcome to the game, Maximum Spin.

When I wrote that, I was explicitly thinking "well, if someone tells me that we had them I'll redact that decision"

Thing is, I did say that we had 20th century electronics, 19th century engineering, so I could claim that we don't have them yet. However, masers would actually be better for detaching Andantesite, as the specific requirement is in waves received (10100111001 waves, or 1337 in base 2) and at the frequency of the first maser, this could be fulfilled in literally half a second. And it's not unreasonable that with the theory in place, mastery of electronics, and a severe need, the maser could have been developed sooner.

The verdict? I'm making it a plot point.

We're in South America, that's the point of location that matters.
And this is specifically regarding the scientologist guys and other things that aren't specifically against Antarctica, not the anti-Padel stuff.
Basically, it's just "make sure everyone is talking with each other and knows what's going on".

Oh alright then. I'll just make it a mention of fighting off the evil insane cult in that case.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: January 04, 2018, 08:40:33 pm »

I kinda put out a call for help on a bunch of Discord servers. So, uh, expect more newcomers.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: January 04, 2018, 08:41:41 pm »

I kinda put out a call for help on a bunch of Discord servers. So, uh, expect more newcomers.

Thank you! Thank you thank you!

A signal boost is EXACTLY what the game needs at this point! I was getting REAL tired of writing to a three-person playerbase.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: January 04, 2018, 08:51:25 pm »

Thank you! Thank you thank you!

A signal boost is EXACTLY what the game needs at this point! I was getting REAL tired of writing to a three-person playerbase.
I wanted to maximize idea potential for the current event.
Also, was tired of not knowing what the hell to do and being one of the few decision-makers.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: January 04, 2018, 08:56:07 pm »

Also, was tired of not knowing what the hell to do and being one of the few decision-makers.

NOW YOU KNOW HOW ERIN QUILL FEELS.

But seriously, thank you! The more the merrier!

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: January 04, 2018, 09:08:21 pm »

New thing: The Dramatis Personae

Just a list of characters appearing in SPAMOVERLORD to help new people. Right now it's just names but I'll fill in important information later. Feel free to comment or suggest people that I missed.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: January 04, 2018, 09:34:37 pm »

I did things in the doc.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: January 05, 2018, 10:23:28 am »

Glass requests coordination and sharing of information with all other political centres in South America

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Madeline Merrowitz came walking up to Wenton Celling.

Celling turned to her. “Got the note?” he asked.

In response, she showed him the note.

W. CELLING + M. MERROWITZ TO E. QUILL
STATUS REPORT FROM BRAZIL HIGHCOM:

CONTACT MADE WITH PRECOG GROUP
THEY PREDICT BIOWEAPON ATTACK IN 3 DAYS
IN SANTIAGO, TARGETING BRAZILIANS
YOU MAY BE ABLE TO PREVENT THIS
YOU WILL BE RELEASED IN 3 DAYS
2ND PROBLEM: CHILDREN OF THE SHRUBBERY
CULT THAT SEEMS TO HAVE PSYCHIC POWERS
THREATENED US
3RD - PADELHEB SENT HIS MAN PYCHIM
DEMANDING OUR ASSISTANCE
THREATENED CELLING; WE JAILED HIM

P.S. - NOTE IS ON SUGAR PAPER
PLEASE EAT WHEN DONE

Celling looked it over. “Don’t you think it’s a bit… brief?” he asked.

Merrowitz shrugged. “He’ll get it. It has to be as small as possible to minimize the chance that the guards see it before he eats it.”

“Ah well,” Celling said. He gave the note to the parrot and whispered a few words to it.

“I still don’t get how that thing works,” Merrowitz said, gesturing at the parrot.

“Then you better not ask about it,” Celling answered. “Suspension of disbelief and all.”

The parrot flew off Celling’s arm. Celling held out his stick. The parrot did a quick circle around it and was gone.

“We have a box set up for him to get back, right?” Celling inquired.

“Yes,” Merrowitz replied. “So, anything else we’ve got to do?”

“Send a man to infiltrate the Children,” Celling immediately said.

“Done.”

“Contact all regional administrative offices and update them about policy on the Children.”

“Sounds good. I’ll go send the messages now.”

Half an hour later it was done.

“They’ve all received the messages,” Merrowitz told Celling. “Some of them have noticed the Children on their own time and collected their own information on them.”

Informational bonus rises to +1

“Something else I wanted to ask you,” Merrowitz said. “There’s a reporter asking about the Children. Specifically, our policy with them and rumors that one of our officers was attacked by them.”

“WHAT?” Celling shouted. “How did she get that information?!”

“We’re tracking down the leak, of course, but in the meantime we have to tell her something!”

About our policy…
A: “We have had no dealings with the Children” (SAN -1, INF -2|1)
B: “They came to us, but we refused them” (SAN -2, INF -1|0)
C: “We have agreed to help them in certain unspecified ways” (true) (SAN -3, INF +0)
D: “This information is classified” (SAN -3, INF +0)

About the attack…
A: “These rumors are total nonsense” (SAN -1, INF -2|1)
B: “Yes, someone fell ill during negotiations with the Children, but it was unconnected” (SAN -2, INF -1|0)
C: “Someone fell ill and the Children claimed that they caused it. We are investigating” (true) (SAN -3, INF +0)
D: “Yes, this is true. The Children attacked our officer” (SAN -4, INF -1|0)
E: “This information is classified” (SAN -3, INF +0)

Small SAN and INF penalties reflect the (possible, small) trepidation by the military at lying to the people, as well as Celling’s estimate of how much public unrest each option might cause. However, the main thing at stake here is future public relations - which are not factored into INF.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 04:55:40 pm by blueturtle1134 »
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 203