Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 67

Author Topic: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!  (Read 126227 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith Released!
« Reply #480 on: February 27, 2018, 05:54:19 pm »

I think the main reason is just because this is an area that's on their mind right now. The cyclopes are totally new, for example, and one thing that came up in discussion some months ago was that he was reconceptualizing them in part because of how terrible their old sprite was, but he couldn't come up with a better notion within that original concept.

Well, yeah. And aside from a small number of new units, this let them crank out a handful of nations quickly because the rest was existing assets. The reason we got the particular nations we did was the age of the cyclops pretender graphic, but the speed and quantity of nations is pretty much all about efficient use and re-use of resources.

How so? It seems pretty straightforward to me; just a way to save some gold.

Actually, come to think of it there aren't any super-cheap temple-spam nations in LA that I can think of off the top of my head, so I do suppose it'd generally be more a bonus for capping a fort in practice than anything else.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:57:43 pm by E. Albright »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 28, 2018, 11:22:28 am »

Everyone should expierence the beauty of a battle full of giant hurlers, with prec. 8

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 28, 2018, 11:28:21 am »

Everyone should expierence the beauty of a battle full of giant hurlers, with prec. 8
In Dom4, I once made (out of desperation and curiosity) a minor blood/major air bless for EA Agartha and just pumped out a bunch of hurlers.

Why the full major bless? Because even with the +prec, they were still so prone to hitting each other/themselves that I had to give them air shield to stop some of the bloodshed.

Agarthans are allergic to efficacy, however, and once they figured out that they were actually killing people with thrown boulders, the hurlers decided to stop all that nonsense and just rush the enemy in melee, where they could fail in peace.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 28, 2018, 07:54:41 pm »

Desperation? I'm curious what you mean by that. Curiosity I can understand for certain though, hurlers are bad and you were curious if they could be made not bad. But why desperation?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 28, 2018, 10:26:49 pm »

So let's say I am under siege and want to get 10 earth mages into that castle. What's the best way? Can I just have them attack the siegers and immediately retreat, causing them to run inside?

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 01, 2018, 12:11:16 am »

75% chance each will retreat into the fort (87.5% if they have relevant survival); if not, they'll retreat into a random province.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 01, 2018, 02:22:05 am »

as the current main graphics producer for NationGen
Do you want stuff? I have a few Agarthan bits and bobs from the Dominions D&D game that should only need positioning, and I bet CoolStory does too, and I'm also about to embark on a modding journey which should see some new African (black/sub-saharran, but not Mandé like Machaka) stuff, it wouldn't be too hard to frame it in the NationGen format as I go along. A lot of it might be redundant to what NG already has, though, and you shouldn't expect a high productivity quickly.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 02:27:47 am by Cruxador »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 01, 2018, 02:58:58 am »

Bits and pieces never hurt. As you said, there's no guarantee they'll be useful, but if it's not too much work for you, I'll certainly not say no.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 01, 2018, 01:38:36 pm »

Bits and pieces never hurt. As you said, there's no guarantee they'll be useful, but if it's not too much work for you, I'll certainly not say no.
Well don't expect anything too soon, unless you just want a slow trickle, but there'll be bits for mounted Africans, a bunch of robes and colorful cloth hats, and machetes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 01, 2018, 01:42:55 pm »

Most of my knowledge regarding African myths is related to yams, so I can't really comment.

That, and a trickster who got a couple men into a bloody fight with each other by wearing a two-tone hat.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 01, 2018, 02:05:12 pm »

The new MA nation of island dwellers (inspired by Carthage as Berythos is by Phoenicia?) is kind of interesting. It starts on an island if possible with seafaring troops. The bad news is that the island might be generated too far away from land to reach it by sailing....

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 01, 2018, 02:22:34 pm »

I thought Berytos was more Carthage, especially considering it was the Carthaginians with their blood sacrifice and worship of Ba'al. Or maybe I'm just mixing things up because Phaecia looks like a silly fantasy version of Phoenicia. Which it is.

That said, Berytos is described as "the Phoenix Empire", so eh... And considering the colossi are still around, it's effectively the same people anyways.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: March 01, 2018, 02:31:41 pm »

Well, Carthage started as a Phoenician colony that became independent after Cyrus the Great conquered the mother nation. They had a mythical queen-founder (though no matriarchy like in Dominions.) Tyre, the original Phoenician capital, worshipped Melqart that is the god-thing of Berythos.

A true Carthage should get war elephants, though... but maybe they get them as LA version.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 01, 2018, 02:51:48 pm »

Berytos is mostly-Carthage Phoenicians (see p143, Dom4 manual). Phaecia is a more "mythically Phoeniciany" Phoencian nation that outlasts the Carthage-Phoenicia-analogue's destruction by Arco and incorporates some explicitly Greek elements. It's playing with timelines, but I'd say it's still moderately clear where stuff is coming from, and it's pretty clear Phaecia isn't meant as Phoenicia-full-stop.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 01, 2018, 03:07:29 pm »

Well, Carthage started as a Phoenician colony that became independent after Cyrus the Great conquered the mother nation. They had a mythical queen-founder (though no matriarchy like in Dominions.) Tyre, the original Phoenician capital, worshipped Melqart that is the god-thing of Berythos.

A true Carthage should get war elephants, though... but maybe they get them as LA version.

Well, Berytos does have war elephants, so I guess that's a point in their direction. That said, I think Albright's explanation ("shit's mixed up, yo") is the most accurate.

EDIT: Speaking of Berytos, what are people's thoughts on the Melqart spell? Blood 6, 99 blood slaves for another nation's national commander (with a couple modifications), and you still have to pay an exorbitant amount of upkeep on them. Much as I love the fluff, I'm... Not really seeing it.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 67