Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 214855 times)

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 18
« Reply #585 on: March 26, 2018, 08:17:12 am »

Try to fit in with the Makralians and observe them to learn more about them. Are they simple pack animals, or do they have a proper social structure ? Do they speak a structured language, or merely grunts and growls ? Do they have a leader ?

Once you know a little more about them, try to get some of them to go hunting for prey with you.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 26, 2018, 08:46:51 am »

There's something that has been bugging me for a while. Have a more private meeting with Sadre and ask him the question that has been bothering me:

"What do you think that will happen to the Lifetree? Do you think that it's safe to move it?

After this, ask Khywa for help to organize the relocation. Focus on the people while Khywa deals with our stuff. Gather everyone and inform them about the news while preparing everyone for the transition, especially the younger folk and animals, while Khywa prepares an inventory of everything that we will bring there (food, tools, that sort of stuff.) Let's try to be ready as soon as possible.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 26, 2018, 11:19:46 am »

Make sure I'll be able to see the demons if they approach, then stay still and keep my eyes open, as if dead. If they approach and make eye contact, then use Blinding Terror.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 26, 2018, 01:32:30 pm »

Go'Von
Go'von is not reckless. Head down the downward tunnel, try to reach the surface through it instead.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 26, 2018, 04:46:37 pm »

Terrence heard one word from the voice which answered many of his questions. In that moment, he understood much about the condition of Vel and of himself. However, there was still one thing he was missing...
Stay your hand, denizens of this haven. We do not seek any strife, but to be freed of the fog's mark so that we may escape these turmoiled fields. If you all have anything at all that may be offered to cure us of our curse, I am willing to offer a trade of services. Name your price, sheltered ones, and I will repay.

Attempt diplomacy with the unseen voices
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 27, 2018, 02:38:13 am »

Someone died!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 27, 2018, 02:46:03 am »

"Couldn't find a proper mode of conversation. Sadly, introducing us as new rulers of this complex might be problematic... At least, Guardian is not hostile yet, so I'll try once more."

Ulkas slowly took off artifact glove and lightly threw it towards Guardian.

Use archeological knowledge and what bits of language I know, coupled with powers of my mind to crack the language riddle. If this proves insufficient, use Life Burn, Extreme Analysis and more Life Burn.

Converse with Guardian. Try to pass it as we're explorers/sages with scientific bent which would like to partake of Ancient knowledge. Or whatever concept seems more fitting in the conversation.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 27, 2018, 03:18:20 am »

Turn 18.1:

Turn 18

The Azarian Project, the Thoughling (Dustan Hache)
A taste of power, strangely familiar with just a hint of purpose behind it. Fragments of memories and thoughts drifted through them, both his own and at the same time belonging to those around him. He was not made to command, but he was determined to do what he could for them. "To me!" his mind cried out to those who linked with them. "As one, with strength of many!"
Attempt to get the beings of thought gathered around me, and get the beings of flesh to lure the ogres in close to each other. After the beings of thought have gathered, co-ordinate a mental assault on the ogres, striking them one by one with the full force of  our combined mental fury.

Coordinate many egos:
Action Roll (16): [9]+4 (Locus of Mind)
Outcome Roll: [5] -Partial Success-

Your words were heard and understood by all those connected to you. But with their mind temporarily restored, so had their ego. Many decided to act as per their own will, though keeping in mind your "advice". The overall result was less grand than you hoped, but more than enough.

Some beings of flesh seemed to grow in size, most being tall humanoids or quadrupeds with skin tones ranging from dark gray to pale white. While much weaker than the few Ogres, even with their numbers, they managed to attract their attention. The Ogre leader seemed to notice the abnormal behavior of the gathered beings of thought, but it was too late. There was a thick wall of beings of flesh in between the Ogres and the gathering.

Amplified Mental Fury:
Combat Roll (Int 1+2 vs Con 0): [16]+4 (Locus of Mind) vs [10,10]+2 (Shamanic Ward) [Woah.]
Critical Roll: [9]+4 [Critical Hit]

Your mind, and numerous smaller minds unite together to focus the stream of mental energy into a devastating surge. The air twists around a bit, optical illusions appear as the concentrated power increases. Sensing the danger, the Ogres clutch to a talisman and roar with defiance, probably hoping their roar would stop the mental wave.

Their roar is instantly cut as their minds are ripped apart from their bodies, destroyed and spread everywhere by the mental surge. The four Ogres, including the two berserk ones, drop dead at once.

8 Essence remains unclaimed... for now

Nearby Visible Monsters:
-Group of Ogre Warrior-caste: [Death from Mind Failure]
-Many But Quite Less Ones of Thought: [Neutral+] Stabilized
-Many But Quite Less Ones of Flesh: [Neutral+] Stabilized

Squelchy, the Omnislime (Coolrune206)
Squelchy continues to attack what insects remain, hoping to gather some essence from them.

Pounce:
Combat Roll (Str 1 vs Con 0): [2]+2 (Glimmering Hope) vs [4]-2 (Blinded)
Critical Roll: [9]+1 [Critical Hit]

You keep pouncing from insects to insects... until you detect a much bigger Dekoorath among the swarm. Your guts tell you this one could be some sort of swarm leader, and you pounce straight for it. Mid-flight you solidify your body, turning into a crude cannonball. The blinded monster doesn't see you coming, and you land a perfect hit on it, smashing its head! You then engulf it to finish it.

Combined with the other insects, you managed to gather 2 Essence. The majority coming from the swarm leader.

Flavor Roll: [4]

A success! With the loss of their coordinator, one of the swarms fall apart and stop attacking you, its members flying away randomly. The other swarms notice this, and start backing away. They clearly underestimated your fighting abilities.

Battle!:
Opposition Roll (d20):
Slimes: [11]+2 (Glimmering Hope 2, Invigoration 1, Formation Lost 0)
vs
Swarm: [4] (Vast Numbers 2, Disorganized -2)

Taking advantage of the retreating insects, the slime formation eliminates many more soldiers and drones, breaking open a path ahead. The Dekoorath have properly retreated now, sticking close to their hives. You don't feel like they are going to attack you anymore.

Realizing their victory, the slimes start rejoicing. "It's all thanks to you Squelchy!" - "We did it! We did it!"

[-1 MP from Glimmering Hope consumption]

Nearby Monsters:
-A lot of panicking slimes: Morale up!
-Dekoorath Swarms: Retreated
> numbers greatly dwindling

Spoiler: Squelchy Status (click to show/hide)

Skee, the Insect Parasite (Legendary Marksdorf)
Try to fit in with the Makralians and observe them to learn more about them. Are they simple pack animals, or do they have a proper social structure ? Do they speak a structured language, or merely grunts and growls ? Do they have a leader ?

Once you know a little more about them, try to get some of them to go hunting for prey with you.

Melding in...:
Action Roll (10): [4]
Outcome Roll: [4] -Partial Success-

You stay put for now, merely observing and trying to fit in with the Makralians, a task much harder than you imagined. First off, you quickly notice that they never use the monstrous tongue, instead communicating using grunts and snapping. You have no idea of what they are saying, and can only rely on your host's mostly automated answers under your orders.

Despite the odds, you manage to remain undetected for the day. Long enough to see your pack meeting another pack, and conversing about something. There seems to be a leader in each pack, but you don't spot any distinct features differentiating them from the rest of their pack.

You get the feeling that trying to get Makralians to follow you for a hunt wouldn't be well accepted by the leader...

(Priority action answer)

Nearby Monsters:
-Adult Makralians: Predator

Spoiler: Skee Status (click to show/hide)

Neophytos the Sole Survivor, Psychic Pain Spider (randomgenericusername)
There's something that has been bugging me for a while. Have a more private meeting with Sadre and ask him the question that has been bothering me:

"What do you think that will happen to the Lifetree? Do you think that it's safe to move it?

After this, ask Khywa for help to organize the relocation. Focus on the people while Khywa deals with our stuff. Gather everyone and inform them about the news while preparing everyone for the transition, especially the younger folk and animals, while Khywa prepares an inventory of everything that we will bring there (food, tools, that sort of stuff.) Let's try to be ready as soon as possible.

You took Sedre apart, speaking far from unwanted listeners. His vegetal face and deep green eyes were grave.
"The Lifetree hasn't manifested a Guardian yet so it should be safe to move. But it should have manifested one several moons ago... so we cannot be truly sure. But if we need to move it, we will have to do it as soon as possible."

He naturally asked you why you had been thinking about such a matter. And also asked about more details about your visit in the Arachnastinian lands.

(...)

Later on, night had already fallen. Nocturnal denizens of the settlement were very active as the new had already been spread. It had been decided the settlement would be moved in haste. Kelechikara had left while the sun was still up, explaining he would bring back an armed group of Arachnastinians to facilitate the operations.

Curiously, he hadn't returned yet depiste assuring he would be back before nightfall.

Help and Organize:
Action Roll (5): [2]+2 (Reputation +2)
Outcome Roll: [1] -Critical Failure-

To your surprise, there was much unrest among the settlement. A rumor had been circulating, saying you would soon get enslaved by the Arachnastinians. The more time passed, the viler the rumor became. None of the representatives was responsible, even Kwerf staunchly denied causing this. You did believe him, despite his opposed behavior. Kwerf was an honorable beast, who loathed underhanded means such as these.

The scared and angry monsters had gathered around the Lifetree, overwhelming the Sylvarian sentries. Around this symbol of the Elon Woods they had to leave, half of the settlement was protesting against the representatives. The other half of the settlement was preparing supplies for the travel. You had a bad feeling, if the Arachnastinians returned to such a scene, everything you worked toward could end tragically.

Nearby Monsters:
-Kelechikara, Arachnastinian Diplomat Allied
-Arachnastinian Soldiers Allied
-Sedre, Sylvarian leader
-Species representatives: Kwerf, Jijjia, Lelist, Khywa, Sedre, Flourishing Dabblebud, Boor
-Elon Woods Settlement Denizens: Half of them Revolted
> Several insect/arachnid monsters
> Several beast monsters
> Several plant monsters

Theta, the Wolf (Rautherdir)
Make sure I'll be able to see the demons if they approach, then stay still and keep my eyes open, as if dead. If they approach and make eye contact, then use Blinding Terror.

Faking your death, you waited to see if the demons would approach...

And they did. Three of them spread their wings, landing in circle around your unmoving body, the rest watching from the broken tower. Immediately the Ashen Balrath said "I will crush its head just in case". You could see them with your apparently livid eyes. And quickly, you used Blinding Terror.

Blinding Terror:
Opposition Roll (Int 2 vs Ind 1*3): [2] vs [9,6,5]
Outcome Roll: [1] -Epic Failure-

Everything happened very, very quickly. The moment the spark of power was felt by the demons, they sprung into action. Not even shouting something like "He is not dead!", they moved in to finish you off-

First, the massive fist of the Balrath came flying toward your head at high speed. In this life and death situation, you noticed its whole arm and fist was growing too.

Ashen Balrath: Fist of Wrath:
Combat Roll (Str 3 vs Con 0): [8] vs [10]-2 (Badly Wounded)
Critical Roll: [3] [Normal Hit]
Damage: [1]*4 = [4]

In a display of desperate power, you managed to barely dodge the massive fist. The impact obliterated the rocks that you were lying on, and the very strain of dodging ruptured some of your inner organs. Vicious flames were already coming your way.

Flaremarker: Consuming Flames:
Combat Roll (Pow 2 vs Res -1): [10] vs [6]-2 (Badly Wounded)
Critical Roll: [2] [Normal Hit]
Damage: [5]*3 = [15]

Survival Roll: [2]

A searing pain engulfed your mind as the flames licked at your whole body. You could only scream for a few seconds before your throat was turned into a black crisp. Your flesh and bones quickly followed suit, devoured by the hungry fire.

Theta is dead, charred by demons

Nearby Monsters:
-A group of demons: Hostile!
> Ashen Balrath (Muscular One)
> Flaremarker of Malderuine (Crackled One)
> (?) Ashen Demons

Spoiler: Theta Status (click to show/hide)

Go'Von, the Strangler Ooze (Puppyguard)
Go'Von
Go'von is not reckless. Head down the downward tunnel, try to reach the surface through it instead.

There is no need to be reckless. Safety comes before one's desires if one wants to survive. You headed for the downward tunnel.

The ground was really sticky in this tunnel because of a moss you had never seen before. It had a pale yellow color, like vomit. But it tasted quite good. You continued downward, only meeting small underground critters. Eyeless reptiles, motionless slimy larvae... You then saw a light coming from under. Following cautiously the tunnel, you eventually ended on a vast cavern network.

It was filled with a pale yellow light, as the moss that covered the walls, ceiling and ground emitted this soft radiance. This cave was bumbling with activity, bat like creatures were flying freely around, monsters hunter critters, and bigger monsters hunted other monsters.

There was also an underground river flowing nearby.

Nearby Monsters:
Many!

Spoiler: Go'Von Status (click to show/hide)

Terrence the Bone Baron - (ironsnake345)
Terrence heard one word from the voice which answered many of his questions. In that moment, he understood much about the condition of Vel and of himself. However, there was still one thing he was missing...
Stay your hand, denizens of this haven. We do not seek any strife, but to be freed of the fog's mark so that we may escape these turmoiled fields. If you all have anything at all that may be offered to cure us of our curse, I am willing to offer a trade of services. Name your price, sheltered ones, and I will repay.

Attempt diplomacy with the unseen voices

You heard laughing mixed in with laments and sobbers. And then the voice spoke again.
"There is no escape from the curse. There is no escape from the endless torment."

Vel added his piece of mind into the mix.
"You seem to know a lot about this fog. Why can't you tell us more?"

The voice was now incomprehensible. Disorganized, a jumbled mess of words. There was some sort of unseen struggling happening.

Diplomacy:
Action Roll (13): [11]
Outcome Roll: [5] -Partial Success-

Amidst the torrent of words, the same sentence could be heard over and over. It was probably the only audible sentence.
"There is. There is. Kill the Armor. Kill the Armor."

Vel grunted with impatience.
"Anyone could have guessed that. Is that all you know?"

(Priority Action Answer)

Nearby Monsters:
-Vel, the Dead Rider: [Friendly/Ally]
-Voices?: [Threatening]

Spoiler: Terrence Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
"Couldn't find a proper mode of conversation. Sadly, introducing us as new rulers of this complex might be problematic... At least, Guardian is not hostile yet, so I'll try once more."

Ulkas slowly took off artifact glove and lightly threw it towards Guardian.

Use archeological knowledge and what bits of language I know, coupled with powers of my mind to crack the language riddle. If this proves insufficient, use Life Burn, Extreme Analysis and more Life Burn.

Converse with Guardian. Try to pass it as we're explorers/sages with scientific bent which would like to partake of Ancient knowledge. Or whatever concept seems more fitting in the conversation.

Astrosa bit her lip, as to contain the boiling blood inside her. You threw the glove, and before it could touch the ground, the Guardian used some mysterious power to make it float. It seemed... a little less hostile? Not satisfied, but you could feel a change.

It started saying something again, but the pattern seemed different.

Understand the Guardian: [Life Burn -4HP]
Action Roll (18): [6]+12 (Expansive Mind +2 Advanced Mental Techniques +4 Life Burn +2 Intelligence +2 Guardian Action +2)
Outcome Roll: [3] -Critical Success-

You poured more power into your brain, intent on decyphering the Guardian's words. As you started understanding more and more words, you also noticed the Guardian's speech pattern kept changing. Everytime it changed, it became easier for you to understand the words, as if the pattern adapted to you. Eventually, you understood a proper sentence. It was the same sentence over and over.

"This is a high security area, access is forbidden for unauthorized personel. Furthermore you came into possession of equipment belonging to the Xatares Installation."

It seemed to notice the moment you understood its words.

"Unprecedented. A communication channel with an outsider has been opened. State the nature of your intent. An unsatisfactory answer will warrant your elimination."

(Priority action answer)

Nearby Visible Beings:
-Taes Ruins Guardian: Communicating

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 27, 2018, 03:46:27 am »

Pausing for a moment, Ulkas whispered to Astrosa:

"Success. Stay vigilant."

Despite the pattern finally making sense, answering it proved a difficult task, but Ulkas adaptive mind started to slowly get a hang of it, although sentences came out pretty crude:

"Exploration. Investigation. Ancient ruins from before Cataclysm coming alive. Xatares Installation long gone. Not possible to get authorization before meeting representatives. Requesting one now."

Try to get into this 'Xatares Installation' on legal terms.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 27, 2018, 03:50:24 am »

"Prias, look deep within your heart and see if you truly cannot decide."

I'm pretty much looking to trigger [Of Ambition]. But if he really can't decide:

"Hmm. While I can understand you don't want to leave the village unprotected, it might not be attacked in our absence. Going to the ruins will not only uncover knowledge relevant to both of us, we will not grow stronger when cooped up in the village. And strength is something we will need in the future."

It'd be going to the ruins.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

ironsnake345

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOMAIN:REFERENCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 27, 2018, 04:21:03 am »

They have told us all they care to tell, it seems. The armor holds the curse. If the armor falls, so too does the fog. It would seem your journey is long, my friend, yet the path to the goal is at last plainly visible. Our next move is your choice. Shall we search for prey and gain strength, or attack the armor head-on?
I think I just retroactively murdered a less lucky version of myself from a parallel universe. Also do I still have a baguette?
Are my memes dank enough for you?
Thanks to the internet-cromancer, my internet has been revived. I'm back, baby!

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 27, 2018, 04:24:24 am »

Drop the idea of going hunting for now.

"This is a good opportunity to test out my powers", Skee thought. Attempt to directly communicate with your host by talking "inside his mind", using the monstrous tongue, or if that doesn't work, directly transmitting concepts and ideas in the form of thoughts.

If this is successful, have your host translate everything the other Makralians say for you, and translate everything you want him to say to the other Makralians, althought you won't try the latter just yet.

In the meantime, keep observing. Try to find out how many other packs there are, how the leaders are chosen, how often do the packs go hunting, is there something all Makralians fear or despise, do they revere a deity of some sort.

((Things are finally getting exciting for little Skee... Great turn Nakéen, you're getting better and better at writing these ^^
Hope you'll be able to keep updating frequently because I really love this game :3))
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:34:58 am by Legendary Marksdorf »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 27, 2018, 05:33:57 am »

It's not safe here. Before we can rest we must push on.

With the battle over, Squelchy disables Glimmering Hope and leads his triumphant band on, in the same direction they had been traveling before the disturbance.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 27, 2018, 06:27:51 am »

"very good, but not done! Sha-man next, then go our ways."
gather as much essence as I can, preferably half. After that, start our little force moving on the shaman's dwelling. We should finish what we started, after all.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

randomgenericusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 27, 2018, 07:44:32 am »

"I just know that the Arachnastinian lands will be perfect for the tree to grow, I was just worried that moving it could damage it. It's still young."

Kwerf. I'll need your help calming them down. You are strong, so they will listen to your words.
Psychic audible cough to get the denizen's attention. Start psychic talking to them when Kwerf manages to make them shut up.
The plants are consumed by grazers, the grazers are consumed by predators, and the predators are consumed by time, returning to the earth. We live, consume, reproduce and die, and our children will live, consume, reproduce and also die. Those who are weak are consumed by the strong, and the strong are consumed by the stronger. But there is no beast at the top of the chain, because the strongest is time itself. Even the mightiest monster and largest kingdoms are slaves for the forces that are mightier than him: The laws of this world.

We have been contacted by a force stronger than us. Fighting equals death. Rebellion equals slavery. They are powerful, and we are currently at the bottom of the food chain. Thankfully, they wish to help us. They have promised to protect us in exchange of becoming their vassals. So unless you want to repeat the bloodshed just for something stupid like pride, remember. Remember that fight of survival. Remember every prey you have hunted and consumed. Remember evey day and night you lived under the woods. Remember that constant battle for life.

The Arachnastinian lands are perfect for us. They are safe and unfer the protection of their kingdom. The place is perfect for the Lifetree and the growth of anything. They sincerely wish to help us and prevent us from being destroyed by the multiple factions of the jungle. Why? Why resist? Have you forgotten? We are the prey now. If they had wanted to get rid of us, we would be already dead. They might even be the reason we haven't been attacked yet. This is only yet another proof that we should trust them and become thier vassals, their leader is wise and strong, and I trust them.

If we join them, we will be stronger. Together. These jungles are dangerous and we need as much help as possible. Death or vassalization, your choice. While they might not kill us, the other factions and beasts will.

Make psychic speech about why we should become their vassals towards the Denizens. Explain it's not slavery and calm them down with the help of Kwerf. When the beasts know that he supports vassalization, they will understand the situation we are in.

We are weak, and they have to accept that truth. Alone, we would die. United to their kingdom we would have a chance to live. If they wanted, they could have used fear and numbers to control us.
The dog behind the man behind the beard.
Immortality like that would be even more game breaking than four Aaron's in one place.
You're both so obviously scum that this is a surprisingly difficult decision.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 99