Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 214845 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 45
« Reply #1200 on: April 18, 2022, 12:22:53 pm »

"Because I want to live.  I want my friends and family to live.  Sure, one may rise for one day.  And then the next day one falls, to die and never be again.

"If I am weak, to get stronger I must kill and kill and kill.  If I am strong, I must kill and kill and kill to get stronger still.  If I am on top, there may be many who want my place, so I must kill and kill and kill."

"That is not my way.  Or the way of the carrion bird.  One eats what others do not want.  One lives where others do not object.  Let the others fight and squabble over who is top for the day, while we get to live and have fun."

"That is the natural order for the carrion bird.  All this fight, all this rise and fall, what is for?  To be top?  To be only monster?  To rise and fall, one after another?"

"I want to live, not to die.  Don't you want to live too?"

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 19, 2022, 12:03:06 am »

Ulkas hummed in agreement. This was impressive last stand, indeed.

”What we saw are, perhaps, the last moments of one of the Golden Age civilizations. Most probably Levemite one, as this research facility bears resemblance. Their fall came due to a Catastrophe of world-wide proportions. I am still researching the exact causes, but it was closely linked to Essence. In the ancient days, Essence was much more abundant and available for progress instead of mere survival.”

“The Essence they used was their primary energy source - yet Catastrophe deprived the world of Essense and monsters regressed into bestial rage, while humans, still relatively sane due to their racial properties, were unable to turn the tides. Just as we saw now.”

“Protector we saw moved in tandem with ancient relics, artificial yet powerful in their own right, able to support and augment the Protector much more than anything I knew before.”

Xatares seemed suspiciously absent, yet Ulkas could not blame his benefactor for not willing to bear retaliation should this expedition go awry.

”Our companion was able to connect. The main problem - to go to upper levels, we should awaken currently dormant artificial mind. So, unless you have other ideas, let’s start.”

(Liel, please proceed. And thanks for your work.)

Time to excavate ancient history has arrived! Reassure Astrosa
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 19, 2022, 12:19:03 am »

"Because I want to live.  I want my friends and family to live.  Sure, one may rise for one day.  And then the next day one falls, to die and never be again.

"If I am weak, to get stronger I must kill and kill and kill.  If I am strong, I must kill and kill and kill to get stronger still.  If I am on top, there may be many who want my place, so I must kill and kill and kill."

"That is not my way.  Or the way of the carrion bird.  One eats what others do not want.  One lives where others do not object.  Let the others fight and squabble over who is top for the day, while we get to live and have fun."

"That is the natural order for the carrion bird.  All this fight, all this rise and fall, what is for?  To be top?  To be only monster?  To rise and fall, one after another?"

"I want to live, not to die.  Don't you want to live too?"

"I do not understand. I have no desire. Apologies. Our encounter was enjoyable. Farewell."

The bird-insect spread out its wings, preparing to leave.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 19, 2022, 01:23:56 am »

"Wait.. uh, What's your name?"  Asked the carrion bird, although it similarly does not understand.

(I hope that wasn't a horrible mistake.  Although what does fun mean for an insect?)

That was really, really scary.

..I probably should get a little bit stronger, at least.

How powerful did that creature seem compared to me?

Go check for stray essence, in case that monster killed something.  If I don't find any, go back and hide out with the rest of the crew.. we leave in a few more hours.  Hopefully some recovered through last night.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 03:33:47 am by Devastator »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 19, 2022, 06:54:22 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i decided i actually wanted to play a different char.  is this okay?  as for the starting location, i would like to start near those wood-elf things if you dont mind. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 20, 2022, 03:11:17 am »

Reassure Astrosa

Astrosa maintained a hostile expression, her fierce features locked into a fiery frown. She didn't interrupt Ambition's musing, who seemed to be getting used to having spears pointed at his face.

The demoness noticed your expression and her frown softened a very little bit.
"I think I know what you are about to say. Go on."

She still seemed a bit annoyed, but you could feel part of it was due to her instincts reacting to the potential dangers hiding within the dilapidated structure. Of you three, she was most likely the most alert.

"Wait.. uh, What's your name?"  Asked the carrion bird, although it similarly does not understand.

(I hope that wasn't a horrible mistake.  Although what does fun mean for an insect?)

That was really, really scary.

..I probably should get a little bit stronger, at least.

Go check for stray essence, in case that monster killed something.  If I don't find any, go back and hide out with the rest of the crew.. we leave in a few more hours.  Hopefully some recovered through last night.

The monster paused, tilting its head in puzzlement. Then it seemed to understand your question.

"Scout. Is what I am referred as."

(Will process your action in the core turn)

i decided i actually wanted to play a different char.  is this okay?  as for the starting location, i would like to start near those wood-elf things if you dont mind.

No problem changing character. Although for a starting monster, the traits seem a bit strong.

For those two I think it would be better to be a bit more descriptive in term of natural ability rather than mechanics :)

Adept magic: that one is rather vague! Does it mean your monster is adept at magic? In that case which magic? A type in particular? How does it manifest for your monster?
Sanguine regeneration: given a turn's time span is rather abstract, I think it's better not to set the regeneration to 1. I will count it as a form of lesser regeneration given it affects HP and MP, and it will also treat it as is: it will activate or not between turns at various intensity if a sufficient amount of time has passed.

Arcane armor: no problem here, though given it is a skill it will require to be activated. I may increase the MP damage to offset the ability.

Flavour: [2]

To say the least, life hasn't been easy to you these past weeks. First the dragon of the forest fell, then soon after the woodkin and their guardian followed. With no one else to stop their advance, the horned ones conquered the woods and and chaos soon followed for everyone there. You have no idea where are the others, or if they even survived. You were too busy running, hiding, just like now actually.

Luck: [3] -Passable-

A group of lesser horned folks are pursuing you. Although weak, they still number three while you are alone. To make matters worse, you are lost in a part of the forest you don't know very well.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 20, 2022, 01:41:13 pm »

Prias could feel an illusory pat on his shoulder as Eximius' voice transmitted into his ears, "Well done... even if we've dried ourselves of mana in the process. We're in not much shape to continue hunting, we should rest for a spell."

Talking ho!
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 21, 2022, 05:34:14 am »

If the countless dead bodies lying broken and beaten in the web were any indicator, taking this thing head on was a bad idea. Skee motioned the rest of the pack closer, trying not to alert the monster. Once they were close enough, he whispered his plan to them: They would climb through the trees, moving swiftly and stealthily through the foliage as to, once again, remain unnoticed by the monster, while spreading apart so they would be circling the monster from above. Once they were in position, they would begin attacking from afar by throwing stuff at it. This would lead to two possible outcomes: Either it doesn't have a way to attack from a distance, so it would chase them into the trees, at which point they would have the advantage as the Makralians were particularly adept in this environment. They were able to take down the Banera because of their teamwork and great proficiency at arboreal fighting, so in this scenario they should be able to come out on top. Still, Skee advised the pack that, in this case, one of them should run away from the beast while the other tried to attack it from behind as to avoid any potential casualties. In the other scenario, they would be forced to go into close range combat as the monster would probably be more adept than them at long range fighting. So, they would all let out a rallying cry before jumping down on the monster in unison, trying to use the height of the drop and their numbers to their advantage. In that case it would be a swarming battle like the ones they usually fought.

Once it was sure all makralians understood, he would motion for them to get into position, and once they all were, inject [Bolstering Serum] into his host's body, then start the hostilities by using [Mind Crusher] from a distance. If the creature began moving towards him, he would try to outpace it until the others got close again, at which point it would unleash another [Mind Crusher] to disorient the beast and then rush it with his Banera's Bladed Tail in hand, trying to skewer it's massive body. If the monster instead chased one of the others, he would just keep repeatedly using [Mind Crusher] while getting closer and observing the battle from a reasonable distance. Should one of the pack be in danger, he would immediately charge the creature, using [Fur Hardening] and [Regenerative Serum] to try and lessen incoming injuries.

If the monster instead retaliated from a distance, he would simply let out a [Rallying Cry] and jump down blade-first towards the beast, once again preemptively using [Fur Hardening] and [Regenerative Serum].

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 21, 2022, 07:16:24 pm »

No problem changing character. Although for a starting monster, the traits seem a bit strong.

For those two I think it would be better to be a bit more descriptive in term of natural ability rather than mechanics :)

Adept magic: that one is rather vague! Does it mean your monster is adept at magic? In that case which magic? A type in particular? How does it manifest for your monster?
Sanguine regeneration: given a turn's time span is rather abstract, I think it's better not to set the regeneration to 1. I will count it as a form of lesser regeneration given it affects HP and MP, and it will also treat it as is: it will activate or not between turns at various intensity if a sufficient amount of time has passed.

Arcane armor: no problem here, though given it is a skill it will require to be activated. I may increase the MP damage to offset the ability.

To say the least, life hasn't been easy to you these past weeks. First the dragon of the forest fell, then soon after the woodkin and their guardian followed. With no one else to stop their advance, the horned ones conquered the woods and and chaos soon followed for everyone there. You have no idea where are the others, or if they even survived. You were too busy running, hiding, just like now actually.

A group of lesser horned folks are pursuing you. Although weak, they still number three while you are alone. To make matters worse, you are lost in a part of the forest you don't know very well.

adept magic is a form of magic, in which magic increases my chars physical capabilities. your notes on the regen are duly noted.

i lay an ambush for them, trying to take out the leader.  no mercy. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 22, 2022, 01:37:25 pm »

Azarian knew little of these creatures, but perhaps the corpse and it's belongings could reveal something that would change this. He begins inspecting the contents of the bag, and also tries to figure out why and how to use the strange cloth strips they and the ogres value so highly as his curiosity overcame his desire to continue fleeing.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 28, 2022, 09:40:56 pm »

Ulkas smiled teasingly:

”Am I so predictable?”

“Level of defenses here was almost ridiculous even by ancient standard. With Protector giving their all to counter former comrades, while they tried to get through… Whatever we will uncover, should be enormous. And much more than useful trinkets we hold. Even if it is a base of Ancient knowledge instead of weapon testing range, there would be enough for start. And then your turn to shine shall come, just as it did before.”

(I feel that until we uncover the last puzzle, facility is more dangerous than Ambition. While I am worried he holds no regard for physical weapons, please, be careful, things can get dangerous right now.)
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: May 04, 2022, 06:51:44 pm »

Safe? Explore, find. Soon..
Range beyond the field to find prey.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 07, 2022, 08:26:02 pm »

Kinda feeling in the mood to try to get back into this game. But like, starting fresh, with a new character. Pretty sure I made multiple theoretical future sheets but I have no idea where I put them all.

I think, or at least hope, that I've managed to curb my old "locks up and ghosts from the game the second an action doesn't go in one of the ways I planned for" habit

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 08, 2022, 07:26:23 pm »

WIP sheet

Spoiler: Do you want to play? (click to show/hide)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: September 26, 2022, 02:09:44 am »

Turn 47:

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
Prias could feel an illusory pat on his shoulder as Eximius' voice transmitted into his ears, "Well done... even if we've dried ourselves of mana in the process. We're in not much shape to continue hunting, we should rest for a spell."

Talking ho!

Prias let out a heavy sigh, releasing the tension in his entire body at once. He smiled with a mix of satisfaction and annoyance.
"Aaah, I'm spent. I still have a long way if it took so much out of me to take down one of these monsters. The deadland still swarm with things of that level, and worse."

After you assured him the Roamer was truly dead your host stretched a bit, straightening his posture, and walked toward the carcass in order to examine it. Considering the two of you were too spent for another fight, there wasn't enough time to properly carve and extract from the body the most useful components. For now Prias took the eyes of the creature as well as its claws and fangs. At some point during his training, Prias was taught by Veras of the alchemical value of monster body parts and eyes were a sure value in that regard as magic power tended to gather in these organs. Internal organs were often strong components, especially the heart, but carrying these around was dangerous as fresh monster innards tended to attract ravenous and dangerous creatures. Having survived until now thanks to the prudence drilled into him, you knew Prias wouldn't risk attracting danger. This thought amused you seeing how reckless he sometime was in battle, his feelings and instincts often overwhelming him in the heat of the moment.

"Well then, that should do it. I don't have much hopes, but hopefully there will still be something left to scavenge when we return."

The two of you left against the howling winds, walking for a few minutes before finding a place suitable to establish a makeshift camp. The old, abandoned ruins of a brick house who roof had long collapsed. Only three of its walls still stood, broken and decrepit as they were. After setting up an alarm system made of bells and strings around the perimeter, Prias took refuge from the winds inside the ruin and started chewing at a piece of bread.

[Flavor:Time passes...]: [2]
You recovered 6HP (22/25), Prias recovered 1HP (20/20)
You recovered 5MP (7/21), Prias recovered 5MP (9/20)

After a short rest, a vibration not originating from the winds disturbed one of the strings. Sensing the abnormality, Prias opened his eyes and silently crouched, ready to move.
"Eximius. Something is approaching."

[Perception: Of Vigilance]
[Moderate 10]
Eximius: [8]
Prias: [8]
[Outcome]
Eximius: [6] -Partial Success-
Prias: [3] -Failure-

He took a quick, careful look outside but could see nothing but the ashen land. No sign of what could have disturbed the warning system. But you sensed something nearby, something that the naked eye could not detect. Althoug faint, there was nearby a creature of power slightly greater than that of the Roamer you previously fought...

Nearby Monsters:
-Unknown presence
[Althoug faint, there was a creature of power slightly greater than that of the Roamer you previously fought...]

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)

Skee, the Insect Parasite (Legendary Marksdorf)
If the countless dead bodies lying broken and beaten in the web were any indicator, taking this thing head on was a bad idea. Skee motioned the rest of the pack closer, trying not to alert the monster. Once they were close enough, he whispered his plan to them: They would climb through the trees, moving swiftly and stealthily through the foliage as to, once again, remain unnoticed by the monster, while spreading apart so they would be circling the monster from above. Once they were in position, they would begin attacking from afar by throwing stuff at it. This would lead to two possible outcomes: Either it doesn't have a way to attack from a distance, so it would chase them into the trees, at which point they would have the advantage as the Makralians were particularly adept in this environment. They were able to take down the Banera because of their teamwork and great proficiency at arboreal fighting, so in this scenario they should be able to come out on top. Still, Skee advised the pack that, in this case, one of them should run away from the beast while the other tried to attack it from behind as to avoid any potential casualties. In the other scenario, they would be forced to go into close range combat as the monster would probably be more adept than them at long range fighting. So, they would all let out a rallying cry before jumping down on the monster in unison, trying to use the height of the drop and their numbers to their advantage. In that case it would be a swarming battle like the ones they usually fought.

Once it was sure all makralians understood, he would motion for them to get into position, and once they all were, inject [Bolstering Serum] into his host's body, then start the hostilities by using [Mind Crusher] from a distance. If the creature began moving towards him, he would try to outpace it until the others got close again, at which point it would unleash another [Mind Crusher] to disorient the beast and then rush it with his Banera's Bladed Tail in hand, trying to skewer it's massive body. If the monster instead chased one of the others, he would just keep repeatedly using [Mind Crusher] while getting closer and observing the battle from a reasonable distance. Should one of the pack be in danger, he would immediately charge the creature, using [Fur Hardening] and [Regenerative Serum] to try and lessen incoming injuries.

If the monster instead retaliated from a distance, he would simply let out a [Rallying Cry] and jump down blade-first towards the beast, once again preemptively using [Fur Hardening] and [Regenerative Serum].

You gathered the pack to tell them of your plan to take down the intimidating spiderfolk warrior. The five Makralians making up your pack silently nodded as you explained the best course of action to take down this dangerous foe. Once you had finished they silently left for the trees, ready to attack once you would give the signal. As soon as they had taken position, you injected into Shnapa [Bolstering Serum].
Bolstering Serum active
Shnapa (Host): +1 STR, +2 to most combat rolls

As soon as you emerged from your hiding spot, you unleashed [Mind Crusher] on the Arachnastinian Champion who instantly turned toward you.

[Skee: Mind Crusher]
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

A powerful mental attack blasted the mind of the towering spiderfolk, whose senses were all of a sudden torn apart. The stumbling warrior quickly recovered from its initial daze and chased after you with a surprising speed for its massive body. You were faster and nimbler still, easily outrunning it through the dense foliage of the jungle. Once it had been lured where you wanted it to, you turned back and unleashed another [Mind Crusher].

[Skee: Mind Crusher]

Unexpectedly, the Arachnastinian Champion shrugged off the second blast, surprising you with a sudden charge! Before the others could come to your aid, you could see the tip of the polearm fending the air toward you.

[A. Champion: Charge]

[Skee: Shnapa's attack (Banera's Bladed Tail)]

Your host's body moved before you could think, using its innate reflexes and enhanced dexterity to dodge out of the way and counterattack using the momentum of your opponent. Putting all his weight behind the strike, Shnapa plunged the bladed tail through a crack in the arachnid's chitin with a frenzied and ecstatic smile, stopping it dead in its tracks. 

Then from above the five members of your pack fell down on the stopped arachnastinian, using their combined weight to push it down.

[Skee's Pack: Pack Assault (x5)]

In a flurry of vicious bites and claws, your pack cracked open the hard chitin of the struggling monster. Helpless and unable to fend off the unending assault, it was made quick work of by the combined might of your pack and a mere few seconds later ther was only a mangled carcass where the imposing monster once stood.

10 Medium Essence obtained
Stage 3 threshold reached!

Nearby Beings:
[Immediate Surroundings]
-Arachnastinian Champion [Dead]
Stats: Unknown

[Makralian Horde]
-The Horde Leader: Krauraka
-The 7 Greater Leaders
-The 39 Lesser Leaders
-The 24 last contestants
-Nearly a thousand of Adult Makralians
-Your own pack (numbering 5)

[Arachnastinian "Spiderfolk" Kingdom]
-Countless Arachnastinians

Spoiler: Skee Status (click to show/hide)

Iokx, the Red Cap (BlackPaladin99)

adept magic is a form of magic, in which magic increases my chars physical capabilities. your notes on the regen are duly noted.

i lay an ambush for them, trying to take out the leader.  no mercy. 

[Ambush]
[Medium 10]: [20] -Critical Success-

As you ran, you remained on the lookout for an occasion to turn the table on your pursuers. As if answering your wishes, you stumbled on a large patch of dormant carnivorous vines known among the monsters of the forest for their powerful paralytic venom -the perfect trap-. You crossed the patch without waking the vines and feigned an injury, and soon enough the three horned monsters after you were in sight.

They cackled upon seeing your sorry state, and charged at you unaware of the trap laid for them. As soon as they stepped on the vines, the entire patch sprang forth and restrained the surprised monsters. Now completely paralized, they were helpless before you.

Nearby Beings:
- 3 Lesser Demons [Paralyzed]

Spoiler: Iokx's Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
Azarian knew little of these creatures, but perhaps the corpse and it's belongings could reveal something that would change this. He begins inspecting the contents of the bag, and also tries to figure out why and how to use the strange cloth strips they and the ogres value so highly as his curiosity overcame his desire to continue fleeing.

Luck: [Lucky!]
You rummaged through the corpse's belongings and found a few intriguing and neverseen before trinkets.
A fragile and flexible coloured sheet of fabric depicting two creatures similar to the corpse species, it was fascinating how detailled and accurate was the depiction. Upon further inspection, it seemed one of these creatures may have been the male before you. At the very least their hair and eyes were the same shade of blue as the one individual on the right of the picture. The left individual had darker blue hair, and was noticeably smaller. If these humanoids followed the same basic principles as the Ogres, then the left individual must have been a juvenile. You could feel some very faint traces of mind lingering on this strange trinket.
It was the first time you sensed traces of mind on an object, arousing your curiosity. You inspected it a bit more just to be sure the object wasn't in fact alive, and no, it most definitely wasn't alive. How curious indeed.

A simple metal collar. You were feeling instinctively uneasy looking at it, as if there was something unusual about it.

A ring with some sort of mechanism that caused a small rod to always point in the same direction. It was pointing eastward.

A few pale cyan coloured tablets. Some sort of medicine? They had a delicous scent to you, agitating your hunger a bit: these seemed rich in a form of easy to process magical energy, each tablet could probably sustain you for an entire week and replenish your magical power in an emergency. Not that you really needed to consume them given how rich magic was in these lands, now that would only be gluttony.

Apart from all of this, there was some sort of preserved food in the bag. Completely useless to you.

As for the cloth themselves... you tried to stretch and twist them in various ways in an attempt to understand their use and value. It was soft and fragile, so completely useless as protection, even yourself could tear them if you wanted to. Then you tried to wrap the fabric around you like the Ogres and the Humans seemed to do. You had a small realization: wearing the fabric this way insulated your body from the elements. You nodded in appreciation upon discovering a property of the fabric, maybe humanoids were particularly weak to cold and needed this fabric to protect themselves?

As you continued experimenting, you noticed its light weight was another advantage. You could move your tendrils without losing much dexterity, so they weren't hindering you much. Problem is, they were so colourful they made you stand out. A definite no for camouflage. You pondered the colours a bit, maybe the intent was not to hide, but to attract and deceive? That would be devious indeed, usually on wouldn't expect something bright, colourful, and stupid looking to be much of a threat, leading to a reduced guard. In the end, you noted that these Humans were either smart and deceitful creatures for using this innocuous fabric in such a way, or simply completely stupid to announce to all their location. Hopefully that was the later.

Trinkets acquired! [Inventory Updated]
-Lifelike depiction of two humans with trace of mind -one confirmed dead-
-Simple cetal collar
-Mechanical ring thingy
-Tasty magic-filled tablets
-Colourful clothes

Nearby Beings:
- Corpse of a human

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
Ulkas smiled teasingly:

”Am I so predictable?”

“Level of defenses here was almost ridiculous even by ancient standard. With Protector giving their all to counter former comrades, while they tried to get through… Whatever we will uncover, should be enormous. And much more than useful trinkets we hold. Even if it is a base of Ancient knowledge instead of weapon testing range, there would be enough for start. And then your turn to shine shall come, just as it did before.”

(I feel that until we uncover the last puzzle, facility is more dangerous than Ambition. While I am worried he holds no regard for physical weapons, please, be careful, things can get dangerous right now.)

Ambition's eye widened with interest as you explained the bits of past history you had managd to elucidate.
"Hmm... a world where this Essence was so abundant would indeed have been very different from our. I see... many things are starting to make sense now. You have my thanks for your insightful sharing, dear Ulkas."

He then chuckled with a hint of disgust in his voice, and muttered just audibly enough for you to understand "So this was the secret they knew all along." From this, you quickly surmised he must have been talking about the Great Beasts of Marandars, who most likely knew of the value of Essence and the state of the world prior to the Catastrophe. Ambition didn't say much afterward as he was deep in reflection.

(Initiating relay. Xatares will connect to Sateris Aline. I shall relay to you the contents of the exchange.)

You saw a glimpse of a world of mind different from the workings of the living, a mind of order and rules written by a now long gone hand: it was the mind of a sentient machine, that of the dormant Sateris Aline. In the ring that was Liel emanated a similar presence, which was that of Xatares. You sensed a blip of light, like a drop falling on the surface of a vast, undisturbed lake. Merging with the lake, the drop caused ripples which themselves caused ripples, resonating together in what could be said to be an imitation of a heartbeat. A pulse calmed the lake, harmonizing the ripples into a synchronous beat. A faint flash appeared. Xatares responded with another flash.

In the manner of the script used by the Ancients, each of these flashes contained an ocean of information and intent.

[Ulkas: Understanding the exchange (Int)]
[Lucky!]
X: Xatares told Sateris Aline of the state of the world as they knew it. In their words, a broken world in the process of reparation judging from the state of the depleted Ichor/Essence Veins under the surveillance of Xatares. All past authorities had disappeared in what seemed to be in their words a worldwide Ichor/Essence Collapse dated around 9 aeon units of time ago. Xatares itself revealed to Sateris that the installation had awakened from the return of the Ichor/Essence flow in one of the deeper veins. With the collapse of the Etherlink Network, it was very difficult to contact other facilities. It asked for a report of the situation on their end.

S-A: Sateris Aline acknowledged the information but declined the exchange, citing security concerns. It asked information about the five detected Medium-Soul/Stage intruders: the two individuals of the Demon Tribe/Kin of Defiance/Revolution, the unauthorized Monica-class Assistant, and the dual individuals of the Savage Tribe/Kin of Battle/Challenge. Without a proper reason, protocols dictated Sateris Aline would have to activate the internal automated defense system because of the unauthorized intruders.

X: Xatares explained the individuals of the Demon Tribe/Kin of Defiance/Revolution were in a partnership with Xatares. They were aware of the risks of involving individuals of the New World, but the gains far outweighed the risks. Furthermore, with the collapse of the Old World, it was necessary to build a relationship of trust with its new denizens. Xatares challenged Sateris Aline by declaring that all Operators/Managers were created with the intent of assisting their creators and their descendants, as well as maintaining the peace and prosperity ushered during the Typhidna Era. It then attempted to convince Sateris Aline to share information, considering the state of the world and urgency of the situation.

S-A: Sateris Aline acknowledged the stance of Xatares, and decided to grant the Visitor status to the five individuals. Moreover, it recognized it couldn't reestablish contact with Sateris Zeos by itself, the Outworld Level/High Stratum part of the facility and were willing to allow the five individuals to use the central gate leading to Sateris Zeos. They would be placed under strict surveillance to ensure they wouldn't compromise the facility. Special rights would be granted to the Monica-class Assistant Liel, allowing Sateris Aline to connect through it and communicate with the individuals. Sateris Aline would judge for itself if the four people of the New World could be trusted or not.

Then the flashes stopped, and you returned to the physical world. Less than an instant had passed.

(The exchange was a success! We have been granted Visitor status, and I will now be affiliated to both Xatares and Sateris Aline. We may use the central device, which is a gate that will transport us to Sateris Zeos, the upper part of the installation. It seems what we will find here is unknown even to Sateris Aline, it goes to show the security level and importance of the upper part. How shall we proceed Ulkas?)

You then sensed a pulse of power shaking the entire Sky Temple, and energy started coursing through the damaged walls of the installation like warm blood rushing in cold veins. Like a sleeping giant coming back to life, the installation trembled and hummed for a moment until it finally settled down. Meanwhile Astrosa gripped her spear while Ambition tensed. Both turned toward you, waiting for a word from you.

Nearby Monsters:
Ambition the Irregular [Stage 8] [Partnership]
> Source of a Field of Mind Manipulation
Roaming Gol Gimmun, Cradled Skydragon

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

The Newborn Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
Safe? Explore, find. Soon..
Range beyond the field to find prey.

Luck: [Lucky!]
Time passed unchanging as you explored the frozen forests in search for easy pickings. You flash froze a few creatures unlucky enough to cross paths with you, absorbing their essence and changing in the process.

3 Lesser Essence acquired
Stage 1 threshold reached!

During your exploration, you acquired a better understanding of the local powers through the whispers of the frozen nature. A few monsters were vying for supremacy to become the master of this frozen forest. They numbered four:
- The spirit of some warrior or adventurer risen from the grave, known for wielding ice magic and branding a blade made of ice.
- A golem of white metal said to have emerged recently from the ground. It is said to be unaffected by the elements, and use a strange power.
- The current master of the forest, a great clawed creature covered in pale white fur. The lesser nature spirits of the place still refer to it as the master.
- Another creature of fangs and claws said to be the master of another domain before it was dethroned or chased by some unknown power.

Nearby Monsters:
-None

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 99