Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 215753 times)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 45
« Reply #1215 on: September 26, 2022, 04:36:42 pm »

Murder them all and suck their essence. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: September 29, 2022, 01:14:32 am »

Murder them all and suck their essence. 

Carefully avoiding walking on the vines, you went to each demon and made short work of the uncapacitated fools, sliting their throats with justified prejudice with your blade. Weak streams of some golden substance escaped from their dead bodies, surprising you as your body absorbed it.

You then felt a change happening within your body.

3 Lesser Essence acquired
Stage 1 threshold reached!

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: September 29, 2022, 01:35:51 am »

Ulkas smiled, showing teeth:

“Great news first. We were granted Visitor rights, after all. Astrosa, you might remember our Xatares visit before - something similar, with defenses standing by. For now. Which leads to second point. We are under surveillance. I assume this is nothing new to Ambition, but let’s try to be a bit less paranoid. This whole place is watching us with caution. Angering it is ill-advised, as there are still more than enough defenses left even after thousands of years.”

Demon tried to gauge reactions of his allies (and was that not an interesting hint about “duality”?) before proceeding:

“We would be allowed direct access to the central part of facility, which actually belongs to another stratum, requiring transportation to reach it. Obviously, we do not have Visitor rights there, but secrets and potential discoveries more than compensate that risk, in my opinion.”

“I suggest we should do just that instead of lingering under view of our wary host. We could always return later, if need be.”

(Liel, thanks for confirmation and relay my… our gratitude to Sateris Aline. I hope for a fruitful relationship between us.)

(Astrosa, same as Xatares, really. Humor me for now, time to fight shall come yet… Oh, and do think about learning more about informational warfare. I’d be always glad to help you.)

We shall come to the gates and see Sateris Zeos for ourselves!
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: September 29, 2022, 02:08:05 am »

How powerful did that creature seem compared to me?

Go check for stray essence, in case that monster killed something.  If I don't find any, go back and hide out with the rest of the crew.. we leave in a few more hours.  Hopefully some recovered through last night.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 02:18:36 am by Devastator »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: September 29, 2022, 02:45:33 am »

Ulkas smiled, showing teeth:

“Great news first. We were granted Visitor rights, after all. Astrosa, you might remember our Xatares visit before - something similar, with defenses standing by. For now. Which leads to second point. We are under surveillance. I assume this is nothing new to Ambition, but let’s try to be a bit less paranoid. This whole place is watching us with caution. Angering it is ill-advised, as there are still more than enough defenses left even after thousands of years.”

Demon tried to gauge reactions of his allies (and was that not an interesting hint about “duality”?) before proceeding:

“We would be allowed direct access to the central part of facility, which actually belongs to another stratum, requiring transportation to reach it. Obviously, we do not have Visitor rights there, but secrets and potential discoveries more than compensate that risk, in my opinion.”

“I suggest we should do just that instead of lingering under view of our wary host. We could always return later, if need be.”

(Liel, thanks for confirmation and relay my… our gratitude to Sateris Aline. I hope for a fruitful relationship between us.)

(Astrosa, same as Xatares, really. Humor me for now, time to fight shall come yet… Oh, and do think about learning more about informational warfare. I’d be always glad to help you.)

We shall come to the gates and see Sateris Zeos for ourselves!

Astrosa let out a sigh of relief, most of the tense air around her disappearing. She frowned a bit upon remembering your experience back at Xatares.
"It does... feel nostalgic I guess. This feeling of diving deeper into some imminent danger?"

Ambition grunted, relaxing his readied arms and drawing a wide smile revealing rows of glistening, razor-sharp teeth.
"Excellent, truly. Let us move on as you suggested, the secrets of the temple awaits."

L: (Your gratitude has been acknowledged by Sateris Aline. They likewise hope you will exceed their tempered expectations.)

A: (It is fine. I am starting to get used to the tune of this unfamiliar dance. Speaking of learning... ever since that vision "that one" showed I have found myself in admiration, and envious. My blood boil with curiosity and fear trying to imagine the warriors of the past, and I am starting -to my displeasure- to understand the motives of "that guy". We aren't so different in a way, chasing after power to get back at those who trampled us.)

You couldn't help but notice how un-Astrosa it was for her to be so contemplative, and more surprisingly, empathetic.

Quote from: Sarrak
(I am certain we shall uncover and learn much more in the future than we could imagine right now. About our past and of our future as well. Together.)

Astrosa answered with an honest smile, and started walking forward.

To the Gates

The three of you followed the great path ahead of you as the facility woke up back to life, guided by the indications of Liel received directly from the administrative intelligence of the Sky Temple. Along the path were many more traces of the battle between the Protectors shown to you in a vision, which you could now picture much more easily. Finally your path was blocked by a gigantic closed gate behind which rested the central area of the installation. Despite bearing traces of impacts caused by the ancient battle, it was completely undamaged.

"Access to the central area granted. Visitors, welcome to the Levemite defence and surveillance installation Sateris Aline." said Liel, relaying the words of Sateris Aline.

The cyclopean gate opened in a motion smoother than you could imagine for such a heavy looking and durable edifice, revealing a vast open cylindric area. The ceiling was so high you imagined it must have been reaching the highest part of the Sky Temple, and the wide open central area was so huge you didn't feel inside a structure at all. Truthfully, none of you imagined such vast interiors from the exterior. Part in awe and prudence, you slowly walked forward as Liel gave the spiel given to the visitors of the installation. The first floor's ceiling where you stood seemed to be the highest of the countless floors circling the central area like neatly empiled disks.

"Welcome to the first floor of the installation, where you may find the reception as well as the most important part of the lower facility. The central high security connective gate used to connect to the external world in lieu of the four cardinal landing areas. In addition, the connective gate of Sateris Aline is the only gate twinned to the connective gate of Sateris Zeos. For this reason alone, the security level of Sateris Aline is of the highest order, usually assured by at least three Protectors in addition to the facilities defensive and offensive matrices. The highest floors are off-limit to visitors, while lower floors contain most housing facilities to accomodate the staff of Sateris Aline and Sateris Zeos."

"If you have any question, I will try to comply and reply in accordance to my directives."

Ambition seemed to be deep in thought, and he was quick to jump on the offer.
"If I may. Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the source of power of this structure?"

Liel-Aline seemed to ponder the question and its intent for an instant, after which it replied in a polite yet monotone tone.
"Your ignorance is acknowledged, and I will attempt to correct it. That would be a refined form of the primordial energy known as Ichor, which seems to be refered to as Essence by the inhabitants of the New World. Naturally, a refined core of great quality is required for a facility of the size and importance of Sateris Aline. As a matter of reference, yours would not compare in quality."

Whether the questions and answers continued, you all eventually arrived before the great platform at the center of the facility.

How powerful did that creature seem compared to me?

Go check for stray essence, in case that monster killed something.  If I don't find any, go back and hide out with the rest of the crew.. we leave in a few more hours.  Hopefully some recovered through last night.
(Waah the shame! And I said I would process it in the core turn...)

The monster didn't seem that much stronger than you, you were confident you could have won a fair fight against it. That is, if it didn't have some dangerous, hidden ability.

[GM apology hah!]
After the insect monster had left, you searched your surroundings a bit more before returning to your temporary nest. Luckily, you stumbled on a dead creature before other carrions had arrived to the scene. They seemed to have died of blood loss, and bore several marks of talons.

2 Lesser Essence acquired
Stage 2 threshold reached

You then arrived to your hideout to check on the crew. A full belly combined to a good rest seemed to have done wonders on their health, and they had recovered from mostly all their wounds. Then taking the warnings of the strange monster you encountered prior, you left before the fall of the night. Like a heralding trumpet, the cold air of the night started blowing through the canyons and you heard in the distance a swarming sound combined with a cacophony of roars, cries, and other monstrous calls. The stars and the moon shone fiercely tonight, revealing a distant, savage spectacle of shadows killing themselves in an endless dance. But all of that was far behind you now.

Beyond you the land continued expanding, and you saw the luster of a vast body of water in the faraway horizon. You had never heard of it and it was the first time you saw something like this, and it was the sea.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: September 29, 2022, 12:41:16 pm »

Try to resist transforming as long as possible.

Survey the new area.  Is this a suitable place for us to get settled?  Use my speed and Squack to try and keep everyone safe, identifying dangerous monsters while remaining safely beyond reach.

Spoiler: Squacks, Stage 1. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Transformation. (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 06:48:43 pm by Devastator »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: September 30, 2022, 02:45:08 am »

“You mention core quality. Was that a natural trait of Typhidna Era alliance partners, or they used Ichor to alleviate nature? Currently, only direct absorption seems possible, but I can’t help to wonder if there were different, easier ways back then.”

“Just like Xatares, you seem highly specialized in your task. Do you mind describing purpose of Sateris facility for us as current Visitors?”

“And as we are about to visit… What can you tell us about Sateris Zeos? Even knowing you do not possess current information, any hints could help.”

Enter Sateris Zeos.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: October 01, 2022, 08:04:18 pm »

Azarian was surprised. There was much to discover here, even if it would take time to understand!

The first thing he did was inspect the strange fabic that depicted the human again, more intensely with his non-physical senses. He couldn't afford to destroy something this interesting, especially when fragments of a mind clung to it so readily. He needed to know why and how, as it also may have explanation for his own survival during several other bleak situations.
The second thing he did was he inspected and followed the direction of the strange mechanical ring. It was clearly meant to guide the human to something, or as a extraneous tool for navigating. He also kept the human’s colorful clothes on, figuring they would be flamboyant enough to fool anything looking at him from afar, such as other humans. Worst case, being warmer didn’t hurt either.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: October 02, 2022, 02:43:19 pm »

Try to resist transforming as long as possible.

Survey the new area.  Is this a suitable place for us to get settled?  Use my speed and Squack to try and keep everyone safe, identifying dangerous monsters while remaining safely beyond reach.

Spoiler: Squacks, Stage 1. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Transformation. (click to show/hide)

[Transformation suppression]
[Easy 4]: [20] -Critical Success-

As soon as you had subconsciously envisioned your future self, your body started urging to match with your new self. But through sheer force of will, you managed to quell the raging essence. You knew you couldn't hold it in indefinitely, but you could definitely last one more attempt without an issue before it would start becoming hard to resist.

[Scouting]
[Easy 6]: [8]
Outcome: [1] -Success-
Luck: [2] -Not so good-

You and the most able bodied Carrion Birds set off to explore and scout the area. The vegetation here was even more dense and tropical than where you just came from, the canopies forming a quasi uniform carpet of verdure separating you from a different world below. It was difficult to see through, but the place was definitely teeming with monsters of innumerable species. Exploring the jungles would be ill-advised as you would have reduced manoeuverability down there, and the trees could be fileld with traps. You concluded the place was very much not fit for settling. Not discouraged, you continued exploring the area over the course of the day. The skies were relatively safe and devoid of dangerous monsters, but that in itself was worrying. It could mean that for some reason, creatures of the skies didn't thrive well here.

The dawn eventually broke from the west, heralding a new day. With the light of day illuminating the landscape, you noticed mounds of land in the seemingly infinite body of water. Islands?

“You mention core quality. Was that a natural trait of Typhidna Era alliance partners, or they used Ichor to alleviate nature? Currently, only direct absorption seems possible, but I can’t help to wonder if there were different, easier ways back then.”

“Just like Xatares, you seem highly specialized in your task. Do you mind describing purpose of Sateris facility for us as current Visitors?”

“And as we are about to visit… What can you tell us about Sateris Zeos? Even knowing you do not possess current information, any hints could help.”

Enter Sateris Zeos.

Liel-Sateris seemed to ponder for a few seconds. For some reason you imagined a sigh hiding behind the silence.
"Allow me to correct your lacking knowledge.
1. Firstly, "Core" refers to an essential characteristic of all individuals, it is the information and potential of the self. Historically the nature of the core shaped civilisations and the boundaries between people and beasts. That is to say, sapience was associated with a core of sufficient quality which would allow the self to interface with Ichor.
2. Secondly, what you infer has been confirmed by our observations: the current world's Ichor surface density is at a critically low level, preventing one's core to naturally coalesce into its ideal shape. It is thus not a surprise that the world would revert to the barbarous act of consuming the Ichor of another sentient. In civilised society, this relic from the dawn of civilisation was eventually replaced by the absorption of refined Ichor, until even this method was obsoleted in the later eras of civilisation when ambient Ichor was sufficient to fulfill the needs of the majority of cores. Only exceptional individuals, requiring Ichor of the highest quality still required to direct absorption then."

"As per your Visitor status, I may reveal onto you the partial nature of this facility. As previously mentioned, my purpose is that of defence and surveillance, as well as support and logistics for Sateris Zeos. And although specialized, facility administrators were created versatile enough to be able to act and react autonomously."

"Now I must reject your last request, as information about Sateris Zeos is strictly regulated. Your current status does not give you the credentials to access such information. Although as a Visitor, you would at the very least usually have been aware of the public designation of Sateris Zeos, that of a science and observation facility specialized in deep astrology, that is, the study of confluence and divergence of the elements of the outer space."

Quote from: Ulkas
Ulkas shuddered. It did not sound like good news, considering what glimpses he already knew. No, it was certainly bad news… But that did not dissuade him, in the end. Danger and mysteries of the world were but an opportunity for inquisitive mind, to rise above itself and reach for infinity…

He did not finish “or perish trying” while mentally preparing to meet what laid inside Sateris Zeos.

And so did Ambition. Its instinct warned him of a colossal danger behind the secrets you were about to face, and he shuddered in apprehension and anticipation. He laughed loudly and took a step forward into the platform.
"Gahaha! How could I not desire to know more, even if my life was at stake now? What foolish thoughts! I will ascend above my enemies, or die trying!"

Astrosa threw an annoyed gaze at your partner. Calling your name, she then turned toward you.
"You are too loud, fool. Ulkas, I will be your spear that carve the path you show me, and the shield that guard the same path. Now, show me the path I must carve."

You received her vow with pride and gratitude, and stepped onto the raised platform: a huge reflective disk with a chrome outer ring, of a diameter approximatively fifty meter long.

"Connection to the Sateris Zeos Connective Gate established. Gate activation in 10 seconds."

[Spatial Magic Analysis (POW / Advanced Magic (Translocation))]
[Easy 8]: [9]
Outcome: [6] -Overshoot-

You sensed an incredible flow of magic inside the platform and an impervious spatial sphere formed around you, visually distorting your surroundings. Analyzing the spell structure, you recognized spatial magic similar to the one you used although this one was incredibly more complicated and secure, impervious to tampering. If your magic was opening a door with a crowbar, this magic was opening an automatic door with a series of locks without damaging any of the involved components. The unnatural complexity was such that combined with the visual distortion, you started feeling a bit nauseous from the information overload. You understood right before it was too late that the spell must have had a counteranalysis component imbedded in it as another layer of security, and you thus stopped analyzing it to avoid potentially taking serious damage from a mental attack.

"I must apologize. According to the connection establisment, the communication embargo of Sateris Zeos is still in effect. Consequently, I not be able to accompany you to Sateris Zeos until the embargo is lifted. May Ey Ephter guide your souls, I will be praying for your unlikely success."

As soon as the ten second timer had concluded, space shifted seamlessly around you.

(...)

Darkness. The purest darkness, through which you couldn't peer, through which words couldn't circulate. Just like that, your senses had been robbed. Where were Astrosa and Ambition? Were they still with you, right next to you? Were their senses also robbed? You tried to reach a hand, but couldn't move your body.

A voice rang from deep within this darkness, a faint candle in the night that blinded you from its faint glow. It was your own voice. Whatever it was, was borrowing your voice. Your voice was threatening, and asked a silent question whose words you couldn't understand.

".........."

[Sateris Zeos: Memory Inspection]
Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

Your mind answered by itself, without you being able to stop it. Your mind told the voice everything about you in words that made no sound. It was a terrible feeling of powerlessness, as if your very being was being carefully dissected and read like an open book.

"......."

Finally, the voice called you by your name. Nor Ulkas, not the name you couldn't remember, no... another name. It was Ulkas, it was also the name you couldn't remember, and it was also the names you would take on after. It asked you a question to which you had no answer, but felt compelled to answer.

"What is your destiny/purpose?" you felt it said. And you answered.

Suddenly the darkness changed, and your senses came back to you. Your surroundings were still dark, but this new darkness was blinding compared to one before. Right as you sensed a presence in front of you, a voice rose in your mind.

"I apologize for the rude, but necessary treatment. You have cleared the core and fate security tests: your Cores are still yours and your arrival is still part of the Awakening. Although in your case, there is a potential danger: you were marked by the Fifth Beyonder: the one referring itself in your memories as Tinzakena, or rather its true name Anathena. Well done on avoiding corruption, and most importantly, arriving here."

The platform started glowing with a dim light, and you could see the human before you. The moment you saw him, you knew he was an existence similar to the twin Heroes you fought back then. Platinum hair and eyes, perfect ivory skin. The distant aura of someone belonging to a different world... He seemed closer in nature to an artificial being, but in your bones you could feel the blood flowing in his veins. And although he had a youthful appearance for a man, the pressure of the ages accompanied his every moves.

"You may refer to me as Last. I am as you presumed, one of those you call Ancients. A Levemite."

Like you, Ambition and Astrosa were still in somewhat of a daze from prior. Ambition seemed pensive, looking toward the dark ceiling, while Astrosa was weakly gripping at her spear. Her usual bloodlust was gone, but you could still feel her resolve trying to fight something. Of the three of you, she seemed to have been the more affected by whatever you just went through.

"Sateris Zeos is still in the process of reactivation. We can talk as we wait for the facility to awaken, I haven't had company in a very long time."

A sound then left the mouth of the man named Last - a single word. Four comfortable looking seats appeared from thin air, one for each of you. Ambition snickered with an air of defeat and slumped in the seat which had perfectly adapted to his complex body.

"Very well, I will play your game. You saw everything about me anyway, it's your win so far."

Liel's voice whispered in your mind.
(Ulkas, I can't connect to the outside. Tread carefully with this person, he possesses enough authority to override me. We should consider him on the same level as Sateris Aline and Sateris Zeos in our interactions.)

Azarian was surprised. There was much to discover here, even if it would take time to understand!

The first thing he did was inspect the strange fabic that depicted the human again, more intensely with his non-physical senses. He couldn't afford to destroy something this interesting, especially when fragments of a mind clung to it so readily. He needed to know why and how, as it also may have explanation for his own survival during several other bleak situations.
The second thing he did was he inspected and followed the direction of the strange mechanical ring. It was clearly meant to guide the human to something, or as a extraneous tool for navigating. He also kept the human’s colorful clothes on, figuring they would be flamboyant enough to fool anything looking at him from afar, such as other humans. Worst case, being warmer didn’t hurt either.

[Inspection (INT)]
[Easy 8]: [6]
Outcome: [3] -Failure-

Filled with curiosity, you attempted to divine the secrets of the strange depiction and the origin of the lingering mind attached to it. Unfortunately your inspection proved fruitless, and you dejectedly put back the coloured fabric in one of the secure pockets of the colourful clothes - a new use you had discovered on the spot. Looking at the changing skies, another novelty of this fascinating land, you instinctively understood much more time had passed than you realized. Somewhat in a hurry, you thus resumed your eastward exploration, glancing behind you from time to time.

[Exploration (LUCK)]
Outcome: [3] -Not bad not good-

You crossed the grassy hills of faint blue tall grass and discovered a brand new landscape, guided by a mechanical arrow pointing somewhere eastward. Behind one hill extended a rustling, living sea of a deeper tone of blue similar to that of the hills. You mentally gasped for before you stood innumerable trees covered with what looked like bright, fragile scales of aquamarine. Where those really trees? The trees you knew of, those from the Deadland, were scarce and twisted effigies of black dried wood. A sense of wonder filled you as a fresh wind charged with magic particles drifted toward you from the forest, but you nonetheless remained on your guard. You carefully took a hold of one of these coloured scales stuck to the branches of the trees. They crumpled easily and were cool to the touch, soft and rough. It was a novel sensation.

The forest was filled with countless signals of life, from small to big. You noticed a somewhat intelligent mind close by and quickly hid in the underbrush. Some sort of goblinoid creature was foraging for food at the base of a tree, and that one seemed much less vicious than the unstable goblins of the deadland. This specimen had a white skin dirtied with specks of blue and brown from too much foraging, and it wore some crude cloak made from the local vegetation. Then it glanced in your direction and suddenly jumped from the surprise, letting out a loud "Gwaagh?!". It had noticed you a bit too quickly, you noted you had underestimated a bit how flamboyant your clothes were.

The goblin seemed unsure about running or staying, it could be that your gaudiness was so unexpected the goblin was in a state of pure confusion.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 03:45:00 pm by Nakéen »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: October 02, 2022, 03:26:35 pm »

(Does this means I can change it until it goes through?  I'm going to change the MP focus to a HP focus, but that's the only change at this time.)

Spoiler: Transformation (click to show/hide)

Well, this could be worse.  Those bits of land in the ocean might be great spots, even if here isn't bad.

..And there's a good way to fly long distances.  Just gotta find an updraft and get really high.  Then you can have an easy time gliding across water.  Need a big fire.

Continue resisting.

Can Kra (the cinder vulture) set stuff on fire now?  That'd make starting a big fire easy, and that'd create a nice updraft for us to ride over to the islands.

..Since I've got a transformation, and the full heal that comes with it ready, search more aggressively for anything that makes this a hostile area for flying creatures.  A big dangerous flyer?  Something that attacks from the trees?  Search alone.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 03:46:27 pm by Devastator »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: October 02, 2022, 03:38:58 pm »

(I'm AGAIN going to change the rules with the combat rolls! Will tell you more once I finish the draft.)

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: October 02, 2022, 05:58:25 pm »

[On Destiny]

Yet at the same time, it held a strange sense of wonder and exhilaration. As if this foreign influence, effortlessly opening the locked tome of memories, has shaken the dust and debris it has collected. Revealing to the notice of mind both the dark crypts that were made to stay hidden - and golden sparks that were dulled by passage of time.

The dissection was both swift and continuous, giving glimpses and taking them back, but at same time Ulkas was assured that he now knew more of himself than he ever allowed before.

His voice held neither tremble nor a usual vicious glee when he stated the destiny which would become his own:

“To behold whole world in my grasp. Knowing its intricacy, feeling the depths, delighting in its wonders - learning ever more…”

He chocked a bit, as if his mind was still unsure on second part of equation:

“By driving others to new heights of mutual enlightenment.”

[Turn]

With a irrationally comfortable deep feeling of unreality that permeated the facility he oversaw, Ulkas took the place offered, checking that Astrosa did as well before asking first question:

“Was our appearance required for the reactivation of Sateris Zeos, or it sped up an ongoing process?”

Continue discussion while we wait for facility to awaken.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: October 03, 2022, 06:50:42 am »

azarian’s curiosity overcame his caution yet again as he attempted to approach and inspect the goblin, altering his psychic form to mimic it’s rough shape in the clothes. The only way to find out what it was would be to approach and try to communicate!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 09:42:16 am by Dustan Hache »
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 47
« Reply #1228 on: October 04, 2022, 03:16:11 am »

(Does this means I can change it until it goes through?  I'm going to change the MP focus to a HP focus, but that's the only change at this time.)

Spoiler: Transformation (click to show/hide)

Well, this could be worse.  Those bits of land in the ocean might be great spots, even if here isn't bad.

..And there's a good way to fly long distances.  Just gotta find an updraft and get really high.  Then you can have an easy time gliding across water.  Need a big fire.

Continue resisting.

Can Kra (the cinder vulture) set stuff on fire now?  That'd make starting a big fire easy, and that'd create a nice updraft for us to ride over to the islands.

..Since I've got a transformation, and the full heal that comes with it ready, search more aggressively for anything that makes this a hostile area for flying creatures.  A big dangerous flyer?  Something that attacks from the trees?  Search alone.

To your inquiry, Kra answered enthusiastically:
"Kra can start a fire yes!"

[Scouting (Continued)]
[Easy 4]: [6]
Outcome: [3] -Critical Success-

Flying over the canopies, you continued studying its inhabitants. After a while you eventually managed to identify the dangers of this land for flying creatures: the reason was simple, the canopies below where in fact far too inhospitable and dangerous for creatures of the skies. There was no way to procure food or roost other than to dive below the canopies, the territory of many monsters where the dense foliage made it near impossible to maneuver as freely as in the skies. A bird would become easy prey down there.

Another danger lurked, in the form of great monstrous trees capable of catching passing flying creatures with surprisingly fast lashes made of vines, like great anemones springing only on the approach of some living being.

Noting these dangers in your mind, you decided to avoid roosting on the jungle.

[Starting a fire]
[Hard 12]: [8]
Outcome: [6] -Partial Success-

You instructed Kra to use her flame on a tree you were sure was 1) not going to eat you, and 2) not a nest of some nasty critters. Unfortunately the still living wood was too humid for the fire to properly take place, and the smoke started attracting unwanted attention. After a bit of confusion among yourselves, you simply decided to give up the idea and reach the islands the old fashioned way.

After a bit of searching, you found a rising air current suitable to your needs and rode it.

Luck: [3] -Not good not bad-

Far above the clouds, you spotted several large shadows. Your kin generally avoided the upper skies due to some base instinct, probably because of some dangerous creatures of the upper skies lurking there. Making yourselves low in passing clouds, you continued toward the islands.

(...)

You finally landed after a good part of the day had passed. The first island was rocky and dry, and its vegetation was completely different from that of the mainland. There were a few monsters there, but they seemed relatively passive. Sharp reefs surrounded the island, preventing access for all but the small fishes. It was a rather peaceful place, but you couldn't be immediately certain. Maybe some dangerous creature had made it its lair?

Allies:
-Kra, Cinder Vulture
-7 Carrion Birds

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

[On Destiny]

Yet at the same time, it held a strange sense of wonder and exhilaration. As if this foreign influence, effortlessly opening the locked tome of memories, has shaken the dust and debris it has collected. Revealing to the notice of mind both the dark crypts that were made to stay hidden - and golden sparks that were dulled by passage of time.

The dissection was both swift and continuous, giving glimpses and taking them back, but at same time Ulkas was assured that he now knew more of himself than he ever allowed before.

His voice held neither tremble nor a usual vicious glee when he stated the destiny which would become his own:

“To behold whole world in my grasp. Knowing its intricacy, feeling the depths, delighting in its wonders - learning ever more…”

He chocked a bit, as if his mind was still unsure on second part of equation:

“By driving others to new heights of mutual enlightenment.”

[Turn]

With a irrationally comfortable deep feeling of unreality that permeated the facility he oversaw, Ulkas took the place offered, checking that Astrosa did as well before asking first question:

“Was our appearance required for the reactivation of Sateris Zeos, or it sped up an ongoing process?”

Continue discussion while we wait for facility to awaken.

Last took a seat, maintaining a composed posture.
"Neither answer is wrong. The conditions behind the reactivation of Sateris Zeos had been determined through a past analysis of celestial conjuncture, and the current parameters do fulfil said conditions. So in a sense, your appearance was required if we assume the past foretelling was accurate. Then again, Sateris Zeos would have activated on its own if the situation had become too dire, but it wouldn't have been the most ideal. Your arrival is thus within our optimist predictions. Was I able to answer your question?"

“Indeed. I assume you were speaking about analytical foretelling that was done nine eons ago, pre-Catastrophe or right after it, as facility entered hibernation? And as reactivation could serve both optimistic and pessimistic predictions, Sateris Zeos must be multifunctional beyond what we expected.”

Last merely nodded on your successful assumption.
"That would be right. The activation of the twinned gate from Sateris Aline caused my emergence from hibernation, and after ascertaining the situation of the surface through your memories I initiated the awakening process of Sateris Zeos. I will hold off on explaining the manifold missions of this facility until it has properly reawakened, so you will have to excuse me until then."

He then went on to describe a bit more of the Catastrophe.
"Sateris Zeos was one of the few facilities of Levem to survive the Cataclysm without undergoing a forced hibernation, so we managed to observe the aftermath for quite some time. Eventually though, continued operation proved too costly and hibernation protocols were activated. During the time spent sleeping, Sateris Zeos still continued gathering observational data for future analysis."

Ulkas hummed and, seeing as his companions were still in slight daze, continued with questions:
“So, what was the assumed cause of Cataclysm? Mere disappearance of Ichor might make civilization slowly crumble to barbarism, but not to sudden berserk loss of self. Does observational data that Sateris Zeos gathered support cyclic nature of such an event?”

Ambition added a question on top of yours.
"Was everyone of the past affected by this Cataclysm of yours?"

"There were some prior events to the Cataclysm and countermeasures were prepared. But ultimately we underestimated the extent of what would come. First I should explain to you the nature of the world of Yaremos. Although a crude comparison, the world is akin to a living being inside of which we live and serve a purpose. Ichor which you call essence is like the blood of the world, and through the multiplication of life and the growth of civilizations, Ichor prospers and so does the world. This also means that all Ichor does not truly belong to us, but to the World."

"Now the Cataclysm as your learnt started from a single event, let's call it Instant Zero. Through a white hole, something invaded the World, breaking dimensional barriers and reaching at a critical place. It was called the Origin, the Birthplace of True Magic, and the Heart of the World: the island of Ey. This existential threat caused the World's immune system to activate, and all Ichor was reclaimed to combat the foreign threat. Robbed of their selves and their powers, individuals degenerated... Imagine yourself losing everything, being reduced to a state before you were conscious. All of it happening in an instant. This is what happened on a worldwide scale at the Instant Zero."

Last then looked at Ambition.
"To answer your question, indeed not everyone was affected. Some had a certain natural resistance thanks to a special form of Individuality which caused them to function outside of the Ichor system, in varyingly impactful ways. Usually only a rare few individuals would have possessed such characteristics, but then there were the Humans. From the start the Human species was known to function differently from the others: Humandkind's unique ability, the Human Preservation System shortened to Hero System. Humans were always weak as individuals, and unable to assume their ideal form despite Core of great quality. Thus to combat perceived threats to their species, they would unconsciously select chosen individuals to receive the Ichor of their species, pooled into an inaccessible place of the Ether save for the chosen individuals: those individuals were, and are Heroes. This ability helped the Humans preserve their sense of self at minimal power loss compared to other species."

Then he looked at Astrosa and you.
"Remember I spoke of countermeasures. There were communities which worked together in order to create vaults which could function as independent settlements if a terrible catastrophe occurred. Among them was the underground city vault of Pandemonium, composed sorely of citizens from the Kin of Revolution, also known as Demon Tribe."
"As for observational data, I will tell you more when the facility is activated proper. Now is not yet the time..."

Ulkas nodded, accepting information. It seemed plausible and calmed feeling of illusory experience a bit… Then he realized with a start that, while summing and extrapolating what he already knew, Last offered precious little new info that could be developed further. An interesting point, though he was not sure if the questions were to blame.

“Can you elaborate on your optimistic predictions? Human civilizations were active for at least an aeon or two, with some other races forming developed Cores. I find it hard to believe none have contacted Ancient facilities, as some knowledge should have remained within humanity or less defended places accessible by brute force.”

Last remained unfazed, calmly observing the three of you.

"I will answer your first question last. Levemite facilities were in fact activated all over the continent across several eras, with only a few entering lockdown in order not to be mishandled. Salvage of such facilities helped the survivors fend off the devolved hordes in the initial and subsequent chaos, and it is likely civilization wouldn't have survived without this. Furthermore without a mean to gather Ichor to assure continued operation of the facilities, it is likely the survivors quickly had to abandon the reactivated facilities until the Ichor concentrations reached suitable levels. I will however note that some dangerous facilities are currently active: one being Laguna - one of the superweapons of Levem. According to your memories, it would be located right in the territory of the human nation known as Fordania."

"Now concerning the predictions, I can not yet ascertain whether or not the current situation has fulfilled our optimistic criterion. It was expected that Ichor concentrations would reach suitable levels in 10 aeon units of time at most based on Ichor veins dating, and your arrival still fall within our expectations. And more importantly, none of your cores are corrupted by the Beyonders although one of you is marked. This is the most important criterion of our optimistic previsions: it means to us that the World isn't yet compromised, and that there is still a chance to prevent a second Cataclysm and hopefully return the world to the ideal state achieved in the Typhidna era."

Ambition who had defiantly listened until now then grunted.
"Optimistic expectations huh... I always wondered why I was so obsessed with the Sky Temple ever since I was aware of my self. Chalked it to instinct, but now I understand that my will was not truly mine was it? You called me the fated one, and called the voice of my dreams the fated call. It was you urging me to come, is that right?"

"It is indeed the case, as you are the second core of Protector Ecronis."

"Tch. Figured that was something of the sort. But that doesn't matter. My desires haven't changed, and I am me. I am Ambition, not your Ecronis, and my will is mine alone. Don't expect me to go along with your previsions if you won't offer something to me in exchange."

"I heard your destiny and purpose. I can assure you all your actions until now were born of your wishes and not of another."

Last looked toward the ceiling.
"The reawakening process of Sateris Zeos is complete. I will show you that which you need to know before we proceed further."

The Human once more said a single word. It carried power and meaning, you could feel a powerful resonance inside of it. Space gently warped around you and you were transported to a different place. It was as dark as before, and despite being unable to see you could perceive a massive dome and some sort of incredibly complex structure floating above you. For some reason it was perfectly visible, even though you couldn't see it. It was a gigantic instrument of lenses and gears, of circles of chrome bronze and intricate details carved to perfection. It rotated, contracted and expanded like a complex living machinery and despite lacking eyes this inorganic relic seemed to see everything.

"Now close your eyes and steel your hearts. I will show you the threat to the World. As well as the truth you need to know" said Last with a solemn voice.

azarian’s curiosity overcame his caution yet again as he attempted to approach and inspect the goblin, altering his psychic form to mimic it’s rough shape in the clothes. The only way to find out what it was would be to approach and try to communicate!

[Morphing into a goblinoid]
[Easy 12]: [1] -Critical Failure-

Answering to your will, your psychic form morphed into what you perceived as a goblinoid. The goblin facing you made a terrified face as he witnessed some abominable mass of reddish psychic flesh growling and changing into something vaguely humanoid, made even more terrifying by the clothes obscuring the true form making the goblin imagine all sort of terrible things.

It let out a scream of terror and ran away at full speed in the opposite direction, yelling in the monstrous tongue "RED THING RED THING RED THING WAAAAAH!"

The terrified goblin left behind a strong scent to you, a trail of fear which you could track without much of an issue.

Nearby Beings:
- Teal Goblin

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 47
« Reply #1229 on: October 05, 2022, 06:54:38 am »

It wasn’t quite what azarian expected, though maybe it was a misunderstanding.
Did it leave anything behind from it’s foraging? If it did, we should pick it up and follow after. He wasn’t called “red thing!”
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 99