Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 99

Author Topic: You are a Monster - Turn 63  (Read 214864 times)

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 55
« Reply #1380 on: September 23, 2023, 06:37:19 pm »

Nak, I think you calculated that Pow attack as if Squacks has 2 Res, not 3 Res.

And Bat-chimera chooses to die.  :-(
Ah big oops you are right! I rerolled and corrected it. You still got hit unfortunately, and lost one point less of damage compared to before.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: September 24, 2023, 01:18:25 am »

(Okay.  Hmm.  It still looks like the HP is in the sourspot, not high enough for safety and not low enough I can say it was efficient.  10 or 12 HP, I might risk another round, but instead..)

Transform as below, while continuing attacking the Tri-Elemental Elemanoptera.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: September 24, 2023, 06:20:13 am »

”To summarize, there is something there. Either an automatic Essence-less defense or a monster proficient in hiding itself or using interference. This being military facility, either could be potentially very dangerous, especially if fought at their ‘home’.

“Beacon feeling ‘off’ could mean something as harmless as ancient decoy or as dangerous as deliberate trap… I’d say we should move down toward the gate and check further before deciding if we should risk going into the maw of the beast. I am not too concerned about danger itself, but interference may block more than just information gathering.”

Come downwards to check what this is about. Keep cautious, for while we have many failsaves, world is always proficient at deadly surprises.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: September 24, 2023, 01:58:57 pm »

As the two enjoy some well deserved downtime and relaxation, time will also be spent on training: some more magic studies under Veras for Prias - perhaps this time it'll stick. As his host does that, Eximius will focus on Limiter Release, trying to find ways to improve on this fundamental ability of his - having it drain his lifeforce instead was something that hadn't occurred to him before, and the switch was almost too easy. Could it be that he was actually doing it wrong all this time and there was more to it all along?

Also, he will try to absorb the damaged Misery into himself.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 57
« Reply #1384 on: September 25, 2023, 11:08:06 pm »

Update 57:

I have updated your status with Known Locations and Knowledge, for your viewing pleasure and to better track some of your information and progress.

Kori, the Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
I don't get it. What's so different about healing myself and healing something else..

... Or is it just not being something I'm good at.

Spell Development: Snowstorm. Activate One of Mana, practice excluding targets using trees. Hindering Allies would render the spell useless otherwise.

Minor Timeskip
[Innate Ice Magic Spell] Control Training [Snowstorm]: [2]
You decided to take some time to fine tune your control over your newly learnt Snowstorm spell, using the nearby trees as target practices. Over countless attempts you repeatedly covered your surroundings in a thick sheet of magical snow, failing to avoid the trees you had chosen as target practices. Controlling all this snow turned out more difficult than you had imagined. From visualisation to execution, there was still a way to go.

Situation: [3] -Passable-
Snow sprites carrying worrying news passed by your improvised training grounds, fluttering in the cold wind as they repeated the message.

"The White Fang moves! The Old Master moves! The Forest trembles... it trembles!"

After recovering your spent magical energy using your [One with Mana] ability, you considered your next course of action.

Current Location: Iron Ridge - The Frozen Summits -- Frost Tree Woods
Nearby Creatures: None

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Caar, the Large Raven  - (Crystalizedmire)
Uh oh, that can't be good. Hopefully it is just a threat display with nothing to back it up.
Peck at the lizard again

[Caar: Peck]
Spoiler: Detail (click to show/hide)
Attack Roll: 5=[8]+2
Defender Roll: 4=[4]
[Successful Attack]
Damage: [2]

[Rhadasar: Rune Blast]
Bypass Raven Queen [INT 0 vs INT 1]: [1] vs [3]
Attack Roll: 11=[11]
Defender Roll: 7=[4]+3
[Successful Attack]
Damage: [7]

Unfettered, you went for another pecking round, tearing more scales from the Rhadasar who was trying to protect its face from your sharp beak. The markings on its body glowed with increasing intensity, as if gathering energy. The lizard let out a battle cry in your general direction, unsure which one you were among the many ravens. At this moment some invisible blast of force shot from its body, taking down several ravens as well as directly blasting you away.

You felt your bones crack from the shock, and you were quite certain some of your organs must have been affected. You recovered your bearings, analyzing the situation. Not good, the enemy was wounded, but you were in a much more pitiful state. The runes had stopped glowing, hopefully this attack was a one time use.

Nearby Creatures:
- Copper Rhadasar (-4HP)
- Some lizard with spikes on its back and on its tail
- Some lone scarab with purplish carapace

Spoiler: Caar Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
Give Toc a pat on the head and ask if they want to accompany before setting out. friends are meant to be treasured, no matter their shape!

No one expected you to suggest going along with him on your adventure, and especially not Toc. Paralyzed by shock and confusion, Toc took a moment to think about it. It was not that he didn't want to come, actually he really wanted to and had a spirit of adventure. But he knew that he was a goblin: weak by itself, at one of the lowest stratum of the natural order. BUT... what if he could surpass that? Maybe with Azarian the Red Thing there was a chance of growing beyond a mere goblin, of learning of the world and its wonders? Toc made its choice.

"Toc accepts!"

With a new friend at your side, you then left the goblin village to seek the human settlement.

Minor timeskip... [6]
You were in luck. Before even finding the human settlement, you found humans! A group of them numbering four, although one was carried on some strange contraption on the back of the biggest one. Their garments were a bit less colorful than yours, with a colour like the deep night. Everything about them was captivating, from the strange and shiny weapons they had drawn, to the unknown artifacts and objects they seemed to be holding or carrying.

Toc was trembling and in a defensive-ready-to-bail stance. Oh, come to think of it, the humans seemed ready to attack. Uh-oh!

Current Location: Lineine Woods
Nearby Creatures:
- Toc the Teal Goblin and Friend
- Human Party Hostile
> Shiny and long weapon holding human
> Human with long hair holding some strange object
> Big human like a small ogre, holding nothing
> "Sleeping" on the back of the big one human Gravely Wounded

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)

(Okay.  Hmm.  It still looks like the HP is in the sourspot, not high enough for safety and not low enough I can say it was efficient.  10 or 12 HP, I might risk another round, but instead..)

Transform as below, while continuing attacking the Tri-Elemental Elemanoptera.

[Diamond Claws] changed to [Diamond Claws +1]
[Old Infighter] changed to [Weakpoint Strike]

With the tide not in your favour, you resorted to using the gathered essence to transform to a new stage and rapidly heal your wounds. Your physiology quickly adapted to your needs and desires, with your broken claws even growing back more pristine than ever. Seeing your transformation, the Hunting Squad Leader attitude turned from danger to high danger.

[Squacks: Diamond Claws +1 (First Strike)]
Attack Roll: 12=[9]+3
Defender Roll: 10=[9]+1
[Successful Attack]
Damage (3d8): [16]
Diamond Claws: [6] -Overshoot-
Your claws will break next attack.

With your brand new jagged claws, you tore through the Tri-Elemental insect until it was only a clipped mess. It seemed to have sent some message to the three insects before dying.

Detection of intent [INT]
Hard 14: [8]
Outcome: [4] -Critical Failure-

10 Medium Essence left to claim

The three remaining Elemanoptera lost complete interested in the Bat-Griffin, who was desperately trying to crawl away. Compared to most enemies you had fought, these had a degree of coordination that made you feel uneasy. They fired bolts of elemental energy at you from different directions.

[Elemanoptera: Elemental Bolt (-2MP)]
Elemanoptera#1 Attack Roll: 7=[5]+2
Elemanoptera#2 Attack Roll: 8=[6]+2
Defender Roll: 5=[2]+3
[Two Successful Attacks]
Damage total (2d4): [2]
[Burn applied: damage over time]
[Shock applied: medium Disadvantage to target]

Two cross bolts hit you, inflicting further elemental afflictions on you. What about the third- It had flown under the cover of the elemental bolts, straight to retrieve the essence of their leader. To your horror the Ice Elemanoptera absorbed it, immediately undergoing a transformation in the middle of battle.

A new insect emerged from a golden cocoon. Its body was now sleek and aerodynamic, unlike the bulkier frame of its previous form. A long, very sharp horn now crested its head, and its entire carapace had a slight blue-ice hue.

Current Location: Exile Island
Nearby creatures:
- The Bat-Griffin Gravely Wounded / Temporary Ally
[HP?-18 MP? STR4 CON? POW? RES0 INT? IND?]
[Some great winged beast the size of a griffin. Body of a panther, and wings of a bat]

- Elemanoptera Hunting Squad
[Overgrown winged insects with serrated mandibles and countless eyes, whose spiky chitinous body crackled with elemental energy.]
Tri-Elemental Elemanoptera [HP?-28 MP?-4 STR? CON1 POW3 RES? INT? IND?] [Dead]
Fire Elemanoptera [HP? MP?-4 STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]
Ice Impaler-type Elemanoptera [HP? MP? STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]
Lightning Elemanoptera [HP? MP?-4 STR? CON? POW? RES? INT? IND?]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
”To summarize, there is something there. Either an automatic Essence-less defense or a monster proficient in hiding itself or using interference. This being military facility, either could be potentially very dangerous, especially if fought at their ‘home’.

“Beacon feeling ‘off’ could mean something as harmless as ancient decoy or as dangerous as deliberate trap… I’d say we should move down toward the gate and check further before deciding if we should risk going into the maw of the beast. I am not too concerned about danger itself, but interference may block more than just information gathering.”

Come downwards to check what this is about. Keep cautious, for while we have many failsaves, world is always proficient at deadly surprises.

Astrosa was getting all excited for some reason, and even herself was a bit surprised.
"Ho! There is certainly something exciting about this situation... a potential unknown enemy, but it could be nothing?" she hugged herself, quivering and smiling, as if to keep down some boiling urge. "Hehehe... I can't wait to find out. And if there is something strong to fight, that day will suddenly turn amazing!"

"Is every dangerous situation like a field trip to your kind?... Nevermind, forget me asking. Let's hope for the best."

You descended the deep pit, so wide it could have easily fit a gargantuan creature such as Gol'Gimmun. Hopefully there wasn't something like Gol'Gimmun down there... although Astrosa would have definitely felt something of such power, even with all the interferences. Hopefully. Darker, deeper, with only a crescent of grayish clouds visible above you from the entrance. You landed without an issue. The ground was dusty and smooth, and all too silent.

"Oh- Oh! I'm sensing something- yes! It must be hostile. It has to be right? Hmmmng!" she held her breath, becoming redder than she already was, and exhaled. "What is it, and its strength, it is still unclear. It flickers. Even in this place, there are interferences... it's like there is white noise everywhere? Oh I have an idea. Ulkas, can you pass what I sense to Liel see if it tells her anything?"

You passed the mental image Astrosa had obtained of the being hidden deep inside the corridor using her Eyes.

"Curious... the signature does ressemble an automated guardian. But there are many irregularities... some corruption? This is abnormal, if it is a guardian it is likely its logic core has been damaged. If it is not a guardian... then I don't know."

A sudden rumble. You looked upward, and clouds and rubbles fell as the half open entrance moved to close. Flying to escape was unfeasible, but your warp magic should allow you to escape if you wanted. It was too much of a coincidence, whatever was there could control the facility and wanted you trapped here with it.

What did you do?

Current Location: -Dead Sea of Nepkeros (West from Nepkeros) -- Barren Lone Island --- Unknown Facility
Nearby creatures: something in the dark

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
As the two enjoy some well deserved downtime and relaxation, time will also be spent on training: some more magic studies under Veras for Prias - perhaps this time it'll stick. As his host does that, Eximius will focus on Limiter Release, trying to find ways to improve on this fundamental ability of his - having it drain his lifeforce instead was something that hadn't occurred to him before, and the switch was almost too easy. Could it be that he was actually doing it wrong all this time and there was more to it all along?

Also, he will try to absorb the damaged Misery into himself.

Timeskip
Misery's Memories: [2]
Training Limiter Release: [2,2]
Prias - Magic Studies: [5,5]

You absorbed the shattered mace of Soros (...what was his name again?), integrating its structure and properties within yourself. For a moment you sensed its past as a weapon, which slightly reacted with the veil over your own memories. Although you failed to get a glimpse, it gave you a possible way to unlock your past: weapons or objects with powerful memories, histories.
New Trait: Nepkeros Deadsteel

(...)

You used the rest of your downtime to find a way to improve the efficiency of Limiter Release, an ability which had saved your skin at critical times. However, the lifeforce drain of the ability had also nearly spelled your doom at a few occasions. Try as you may, a way to reduce the lifeforce cost of this ability eluded you.

Meanwhile, Prias resumed his magical studies with Veras. Thanks to the influx of migrants and the passage of the rare adventurer, Veras had managed to put his hands on new spell grimoires, alchemical regents, and other trinkets and objects useful for the practice of magic. On one occasion a lone travelling merchant-adventurer even stopped by. Though one cannot help but wonder what business prospects this... audacious businessman thought he could find in one of the most inhospitable lands of the known world. Anyway.

According to Veras, the countless life-threatening battles he had thrown himself into had reinforced the bases that had been drilled into him. Arcane magic suddenly felt much easier to him, like a second language whose secrets he had finally understood. He even managed to master two of the base arcane spells, upon which could be built countless other spells.
Flame, the root of elemental manipulation.
And the infamous Arcane Shot, known in some places as the Mage's Arrow, which was the root of mana manipulation and the first spell taught in martial arcane schools.

Prias POW and RES increased by 1 from Training.
Prias has learnt Intermediate Arcane Magic.
New Spells: Lesser Flame, Flame, Arcane Shot, Arcane Shot+

Situation: [2]
Ever since a few days ago, a strange illness has afflicted the hardy crops grown by the village. Plants are dying, and Veras study of the soil indicated that its mana and life seemed to have decreased abnormally, as if it was slowly drained. Unchecked, this phenomenon could spell the doom of the village...

And as if to confirm your doubts, the latest adventurer visiting the village told you she had come here with her party to investigate the very same phenomenon, which had been observed in border territories of the neighbouring kingdoms despite being outside the deadland.

Current Location: Safara (Eastern Village of Nepkeros)

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 01:10:35 pm by Nakéen »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: September 26, 2023, 01:15:02 am »

“Let’s come out for a bit. Our new friend certainly does not wish to fight fair… But we have mining equipment.”

Ulkas chuckled at the thought. Having to turn back from mystery grated a bit (certainly more for Astrosa), yet he would not live long without realizing that they were not the strongest beings around. Too many deadly situations were resolved with diplomacy - but current one did not feel like it.

”I am very interested to it’s reaction to our move. If it is guardian, however broken - it should sally out, as others did. If not…”

Retreat from the Pit with Translocation. Check enemy disposition and what closed the pit. Check if our mining equipment would do the job of coming back.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: September 26, 2023, 06:13:15 am »

"Okay, by eating essence you chose death.  Any monster that eats essence in front of me is going to die first.  I'll let the rest of you run, but this one dies."

Attack the Ice Impaler-type Elemanoptera.  Use Melee Tornado to get cover from the minions.

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: September 26, 2023, 08:34:18 am »

"I think we should back away, slowly. maybe offer something to placate them. Be ready to run if they charge at us."
Attempt communication through all available channels: telepathic, verbal, and barter! Set down a Friwispea stick and back away slowly for the bartering part.
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: September 26, 2023, 01:26:10 pm »

Go to assemble, for this bodes ill tidings.

Crystalizedmire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: September 26, 2023, 02:48:49 pm »

It took a while for it to charge, I still have time.
Peck at the lizard again
she/her

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 54
« Reply #1390 on: September 26, 2023, 04:26:39 pm »

Eximius felt it was strange that he was having troubles with Scorol's name. Perhaps there was more to the undead champion's amnesia?

"Seems like our break is over, Prias. Let's make our preparations and say some goodbyes."

Naturally, this cannot be allowed to go on. Before leaving, we'll try to stock up on supplies, including some for trapping - those worked out quite well - and see if Veras cooked up some potions we could take.

Then, we'll start investigating, working with other adventurers as needed.

Also, perhaps the some of the new arrivals or the townspeople would be interested in the monster parts we've gathered?

[The healing amulet should've recharged by now too, right?]
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 04:37:29 pm by Hawk132 »
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Wolfkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: September 27, 2023, 09:17:00 pm »

Swamp Slugipede
Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 12:36:01 am by Wolfkey »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Monster - Turn 58
« Reply #1392 on: September 27, 2023, 11:01:30 pm »

Update 58:

Ulkas, the Horned Demon (Sarrak)
“Let’s come out for a bit. Our new friend certainly does not wish to fight fair… But we have mining equipment.”

Ulkas chuckled at the thought. Having to turn back from mystery grated a bit (certainly more for Astrosa), yet he would not live long without realizing that they were not the strongest beings around. Too many deadly situations were resolved with diplomacy - but current one did not feel like it.

”I am very interested to it’s reaction to our move. If it is guardian, however broken - it should sally out, as others did. If not…”

Retreat from the Pit with Translocation. Check enemy disposition and what closed the pit. Check if our mining equipment would do the job of coming back.

Translocation [Innate Advanted Magic]
-8MP

Gate analysis (Mind Field, Expansive Mind, INT):
Easy 2: [8]
Outcome: [2] -Success-
As the pit's heavy gate moved, you sensed for a brief moment the flicker of a mind current characteristic of the ancient ruins you had visited until then. Some signal had been sent to the gate from the inside, its source being whatever was approaching from the darkness. Your demonic eyes, used to the darkness of the Daemonium, saw the shape of the approaching culprit: something unreasonably massive and bulky, with what seemed like countless limbs and extensions at times moving in unison, at times shuddering like a half-dead insect.

Was it a... guardian automaton? No, it was like a wave of them, all jumbled into a chimeric mess of forlorn metal and spare parts. There was something incredibly fascinating about its mind structure: you were unable to determine if this thing was a sort of hive consciousness or an individual. All you could detect were countless sources of partial minds woven into a mental matrix that created the mental interference field, like a chaotically united chorus of broken voices which drowned their surroundings under a low drone.

You shared your plan with Astrosa, who quite reluctantly agreed. With a snap you translocated the two of you outside as the gate closed shut, and you went to retrieve your "mining equipment" you had stashed nearby. Liel gave you a rundown of the devices.

"The standard issue Shatterer is designed to break down structural integrity by weakening soul coherence and targeting the generated cracks. To prevent accidents or incidents, a safety limiter is usually set, but we disabled those of your equipment. That should allow you to target living creatures with it. AS for the Collapser, its purpose is to break what the Shatterer cannot by using high-tiered soul structure against it, using a principle called soul resonance in layman's terms."

"To break down the gate, my advice is to use the Shatterer. Its power core is able to handle three uses, which will recover using ambient essence over a day."

-Xatares Shatterer: STR5 vs Target's Stage / AL5 / AL decreases by 1 per Target's Stage above 2
Heavy-duty relic tool from a bygone era, used for Ichor/Essence mining. Shatter the target by mean of soul disruption, increasing its effectiveness against targets of lower stages.
-Xatares Collapser: Target's Stage vs CON / AL0 / AL increases by 1 per Target's Stage above 2
Heavy-duty relic tool from a bygone era, used for Ichor/Essence mining. Crush the target by mean of soul resonance, increasing its effectiveness against targets of higher stages.

Current Location: -Dead Sea of Nepkeros (West from Nepkeros) -- Barren Lone Island --- Unknown Facility
Nearby creatures: something in the dark

Spoiler: Ulkas Status (click to show/hide)

Squacks the Carrion Bird - (Devastator)
"Okay, by eating essence you chose death.  Any monster that eats essence in front of me is going to die first.  I'll let the rest of you run, but this one dies."

Attack the Ice Impaler-type Elemanoptera.  Use Melee Tornado to get cover from the minions.

Round 1:
[Squacks: Diamond Claws +1 (First Strike)]
Attack Roll: 19=[18]+1
Defender Roll: 10=[5]+5
[Successful Attack]
Damage (3d8): [7]
Your claws have shattered, losing their sheen.
[Weakpoint Strike]: [5 vs 1]

[Impaler: Ice-Imbued Horn]
Attack Roll: 8=[5]+3
Defender Roll: 7=[4]+3
[Successful Attack]
Damage (3d6): [12]

You and the Impaler-type rushed at each others, feinting and executing complex moves at incredible speeds. With its new body shape, your enemy could now match your speed and manoeuverability. You landed the first strike, shattering your claws on the wings of the Impaler who not undone by the damage, counterattacked with a nosedive attack using its ice energy-imbued horn.

-1HP lost from Burn
CON0: [5] -Burn Removed-

[Elemanoptera: Mandibles]
Elemanoptera#1 Attack Roll: 11=[9]+2
Elemanoptera#2 Attack Roll: 8=[6]+2
Defender Roll: 13=[10]+3
[Failed Attacks]

The lesser Elemanoptera suddenly adjusted their combat strategy, swarming you along with the Impaler. Their merely decent flying combat prowess was useless before your superior abilities. Weaving around the Impaler, you easily managed to dodge their attacks.

Round 2:
[Squacks: Diamond Claws +1]
Attack Roll: 7=[6]+1
Defender Roll: 6=[3]+3
[Successful Attack]
Damage (2d8): [13]
Enemy [Wounded]

[Impaler: Ice-Imbued Horn]
Attack Roll: 12=[11]+1
Defender Roll: 13=[10]+3
[Failed Attack]

[Elemanoptera: Mandibles]
Elemanoptera#1 Attack Roll: 7=[5]+2
Elemanoptera#2 Attack Roll: 7=[5]+2
Defender Roll: 9=[6]+3
[Failed Attacks]

Your high speed dogfight continued with undiminished intensity, and to the untrained eye it seemed you were at a disadvantage facing three coordinating opponents. However being overwhelmed didn't hinder you, and you kept inflicting damage on the Impaler while narrowly dodging the combined attacks. Now the Impaler showed glaring signs of weakness, another good hit would finish it.

Round 3:
[Squacks: Diamond Claws +1]
Attack Roll: 7=[18]+1
Defender Roll: 6=[11]+3
[Successful Attack]
Damage (2d8): [8]
Enemy [Dead]

With one last swift strike, you tore the gut of the Impaler who fatally bled hemolymph. Right before life left its body, you heard a strange sound coming from it. Then its dead carcass fell in the sea, the essence emerging from it right as the previous time. But this time you wouldn't let anyone get near it, and the Elemanoptera picked up on this.

Situation: [2]
The two insects fled from scene, hopefully leaving them run wouldn't bite you back later...

Current Location: Exile Island
Nearby creatures:
- The Bat-Griffin Gravely Wounded / Temporary Ally
[HP?-18 MP? STR4 CON? POW? RES0 INT? IND?]
[Some great winged beast the size of a griffin. Body of a panther, and wings of a bat]

- Elemanoptera Hunting Squad
[Overgrown winged insects with serrated mandibles and countless eyes, whose spiky chitinous body crackled with elemental energy.]
Tri-Elemental Elemanoptera [HP?-28 MP?-4 STR? CON1 POW3 RES? INT? IND?] [Dead]
Fire Elemanoptera [HP? MP?-4 STR0 CON1 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1]
Ice Impaler-type Elemanoptera [HP?-20 MP? STR2 CON1 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1] [Dead]
Lightning Elemanoptera [HP? MP?-4 STR0 CON1 POW2 RES1 INT-1 IND-1]

Spoiler: Squacks Status (click to show/hide)

Azarian, the Imbued Thoughtling (Dustan Hache)
"I think we should back away, slowly. maybe offer something to placate them. Be ready to run if they charge at us."
Attempt communication through all available channels: telepathic, verbal, and barter! Set down a Friwispea stick and back away slowly for the bartering part.

Communication:
Easy 6: [7]
Outcome: [1] -Success-
Thanks to your past experience analyzing the body of a human, you had a rudimentary but sufficient idea of the way their minds worked and how to emulate their speech.

(Insert most definitely normal human speech here)

The threatening weapon wielding human male seemed to become even more wary, but still replied to you.
"If you understand me, please back away slowly and stay where I can see you."
The long haired human urgently said something to the male, pointing at the stick with an even more surprised expression.
"Is that?... Breios! It's Friwispea! I can use it to stabilize Paimni!"
"...Is that true?" the man named Breios motioned to his comrades, sending them some signed message. He then spoke to you: "You, do you have a name?"

Current Location: Lineine Woods
Nearby Creatures:
- Toc the Teal Goblin and Friend
- Human Party Wary
> Shiny and long weapon holding human, named Breios
> Human with long hair holding some strange object, named Yevlaine
> Big human like a small ogre, holding nothing
> "Sleeping" on the back of the big one human, named Paimni Gravely Wounded

Spoiler: Azarian's Status (click to show/hide)

Kori, the Elemental Spirit of Ice  - (TricMagic)
Go to assemble, for this bodes ill tidings.

Finding: [3] -Passable-
You followed one of the messages left in the snow by the allies of the Ice Sword Spirit, meeting them for the first time in a small clearing where a curious stone covered in frost rested, like a crooked pillar. A dozen individuals were already waiting here in silence, with fewer sparing you a glance. Most of them were of the undead, the rest being made up of spirits representing various aspects of nature: snow, the elemental ice, the trees of frost...

Only one among them welcomed you, with a voice of feminine ice without a hint of warmth. She was an aspect of frozen river, rigid but flexible, a statue with graceful and efficient movements. She picked up a snow sprite, bringing it to her ear.

"A new face. Kori? You are welcome among us. You missed Suro by a breath. He already went to meet the Old Master."

The snow sprites seemed to gather around her, whispering her name: Niveris. The undead and remaining spirits turned to look at you, bowing lightly as a greeting. You took a closer look at the small group: two humanoid undead who looked like husks of frozen flesh, seven undead creatures (some of which you had never met the living version), a wraith of mist, and three spirits.

Nearby Creatures:
-Allies of Suro
> Niveris, Spirit of Frozen River

Spoiler: Spirit of Ice Status (click to show/hide)

Caar, the Large Raven  - (Crystalizedmire)
It took a while for it to charge, I still have time.
Peck at the lizard again

Attack Roll: 4=[2]+2
Defender Roll: 2=[2]
[Successful Attack]
Damage: [2]

[Rhadasar: Claw]
Bypass Raven Queen [INT 0 vs INT 1]: [1] vs [3]
Attack Roll: 7=[7]
Defender Roll: 8=[5]+3
[Failed Attack]
[Open for Counterattack]

Attack Roll: 9=[5]+4
Defender Roll: 9=[9]
[Successful Attack]
Damage: [4]
Rhadasar [Dead]

Despite having the odds severely against you, you continued to attack with the determination to survive and emerge victorious. Another volley of pecks, and a narrow dodge of the Rhadasar's vicious claws which would surely have spelt the end of you.

An opening.

And with another series of vicious pecking on his open wounds, you saw your opponent weaken - and finally collapse after a struggle. A miraculous victory indeed.

You have earned 1 Essence

With the adrenaline wearing off, your wounds have started taking their toll on you.

Nearby Creatures:
- Copper Rhadasar (-10HP) [Dead]
- Some lizard with spikes on its back and on its tail
- Some lone scarab with purplish carapace

Spoiler: Caar Status (click to show/hide)

Eximius Res, the Rusty Ring (Hawk132)
Eximius felt it was strange that he was having troubles with Scorol's name. Perhaps there was more to the undead champion's amnesia?

"Seems like our break is over, Prias. Let's make our preparations and say some goodbyes."

Naturally, this cannot be allowed to go on. Before leaving, we'll try to stock up on supplies, including some for trapping - those worked out quite well - and see if Veras cooked up some potions we could take.

Then, we'll start investigating, working with other adventurers as needed.

Also, perhaps the some of the new arrivals or the townspeople would be interested in the monster parts we've gathered?

[The healing amulet should've recharged by now too, right?]

The healing amulet has long recharged, yes.

"It's already time. The peaceful days really went by in a flash, heh."

Crafting and Bartering: [4,3]
The various materials you obtained during your hunts were set to good use, Veras using them to craft medicine that would surely help for your future battles, while the rest was bartered to merchants and adventurers to procure useful items and supplies for the village.

Prias also obtained the contact of a merchant from Avercan. Were you to end up here, it could prove useful. His name was Jogrim.

Supplies:
- Trapping Gear (x3): can be used to set a crafty trap, with effects varying depending on the type of trap.
- Quality Recovery Potion (x2): potent potions containing an incredibly pungent red liquid crafted using the organs of monsters slain by Prias and Eximius. Recover up to 20HP on a use.
- Strength Pill (x1): white pill crafted via alchemy using the bones and fangs of monsters slain by Prias and Eximius. Temporarily increases strength by 2, but cannot exceed 5.

(...)

Prias offered to help with the investigation, if the party of adventurers didn't mind him tagging long. The leader of the group accepted without an objection, having heard of him already.
"You beat us to it. Actually, we came to this village specifically to see if you would accept to accompany and help us. From what we've heard of your crazy achievements, you are one of the most knowledgeable people alive when it comes to the deadland."
"Ah please, surely rumors have been exaggerated. I'm just doing what I can to survive, and to let my family live another day."
"And humble to boot... anyway, my name is Shavrine. The leader of this merry band of mercenary-adventurers-monster hunters, we took up a job from the mage association of Razsafel. Let me introduce you."

Prias had heard of Razsafel from Veras, it was a major town of Empsiphion, the neighbouring kingdom of magic. As he mused this, Shavrine introduced her companions:
- Werbald, a veteran squire from Fordania.
- Malmey, a mage from Empsiphion.
- Caromash, a scout from the Cearn Sea Kingdom.
- And Shavrine herself, a ranger from a place beyond Vol who had also been a wandering swordswoman.

(...)

Luck: [4]
You left with the adventurer party for the heart of the deadland in seach for the source of this strange curse. They headed first for one of the ruined towers scattered across Nepkeros, said to once have been used as watchtowers and magical energy relay from back when sorcery was commonplace there. The mage association gave them instructions: to check the state of the sorcery relays, and try to pinpoint an area where the soil mana was abnormally low even for Nepkeros.

The first relay was empty of monsters, and the short trip had been without an issue thanks to you and Prias expertise in the deadland. You had never been to a relay before, as Prias had told you these towers were to be avoided due to attracting monsters. It was strange that this one was deserted.

At the top of it was some remains of a crystal orb shattered decades or centuries ago. The adventurers started studying the place, with Prias helping or not depending on what you thought about doing.

Current Location: Nepkeros Eastern Deadland -- Broken Sorcery Relay

Nearby Creatures:
Adventurer Party [Allies]
- Werbald the Squire
- Malmey the Mage
- Caromash the Scout
- Shavrine the Ranger

Spoiler: Eximius Res Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 01:10:19 pm by Nakéen »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: September 27, 2023, 11:02:42 pm »

Swamp Slugipede
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry I need a bit of time to think if I'm able to add another player! Will have an answer in a day at most.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: September 28, 2023, 02:11:58 am »

”Glad you agreed, Astrosa. This amalgamation tried to rearrange the battlefield in its favor, thus I decided to configure it to favor us instead. As well as gather more information while doing so. I have already gotten some glimpses into its nature, but surely you saw more?”

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 99