Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 50675 times)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World - PC release Aug 9th!
« Reply #210 on: September 06, 2018, 06:01:04 pm »

Ah elitists who moan about using suboptimal loadouts. I don't think Monster Hunter will ever manage to get rid of them. They've been around since the first installment and its cluster bowgun-only expectations for Fatalis fights. The problem here is that unlike in some other games, the fun gameplay and the process of farming are one and the same and if you co-op with randoms there will always be clashing goals and ideals.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 06:03:21 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 06, 2018, 06:16:44 pm »

Ah elitists who moan about using suboptimal loadouts. I don't think Monster Hunter will ever manage to get rid of them. They've been around since the first installment and its cluster bowgun-only expectations for Fatalis fights. The problem here is that unlike in some other games, the fun gameplay and the process of farming are one and the same and if you co-op with randoms there will always be clashing goals and ideals.

My issue isn't when someone chooses something sub-optimal and isn't fitting with the current meta etc. etc., its when someone becomes absolutely useless/a liability because their load out is so awful. In MHW for instance, you get a max of three reviews per team - if one player is just woefully badly equipped (and purposefully, not just a beginner) then it damages everyone's enjoyment.

I really haven't played MHW long enough to know if it's really a major problem and I'm the furthest away from Elitist possible. However, I've played various other multiplayer games where it can get annoying - it's mostly just when there's a risk to the whole team, and someone decides that they want to use 'magical flute of pacifism' for a massive boss rather than 'super deadly axe of slaying' just for the lols. I get they're having fun, but the other players aren't.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2018, 11:08:11 am »

You're barely saving time by going the most optimal, so it doesn't really matter. Use what you find works best for that particular foe.
This. As a guy who mainly plays Lance in MHW, I can confirm that the greatest favor you can do for yourself and your team is to play what works, and what you're good at. Yeah, Lance isn't the most damaging weapon ever. Yeah, it's somewhat reliant on having either Evasion or Guard slotted in. Yeah, it's dead simple and all you have to do is hit RightFaceButton in patterns of threes.

But man, was it a godsend for me when fighting tougher monsters. I remember trying to fight Lunastra for the first time with Greatsword. Wow, did it go badly. I was getting tossed around like a ragdoll glued to the hands of a flaming monkey. Then I switched to Lance and laughed as my big piece of metal absorbed all of the damage the Lunastra could muster. And the chip damage dealt by fire and particularly powerful strikes? Healed effortlessly by my SnS bro rocking his not-at-all damage-focused Wide Range build.

By myself, I was a guy who patiently pokes things. By himself, he was an evasive little potion-chugger who slashed things and got the heck out. But together? We beat the stuffing out of Lunastra, tempered Teostra, you name it.

Play what you're good at, get a build that helps you, adapt when you have to, and fight your hardest. Nobody can fault you after that.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 12, 2018, 06:09:23 am »

Looking for friends to play in Oceanic timezone. I main Dual Blades and have been farming Tempered Elders and Monsters for decos and streamstones. My other friend uses Hunting Horn or Insect Glaive. We use Discord voice chat when playing. Hit me up if you're interested.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 12, 2018, 06:10:25 am »

This. As a guy who mainly plays Lance in MHW, I can confirm that the greatest favor you can do for yourself and your team is to play what works, and what you're good at. Yeah, Lance isn't the most damaging weapon ever. Yeah, it's somewhat reliant on having either Evasion or Guard slotted in. Yeah, it's dead simple and all you have to do is hit RightFaceButton in patterns of threes.

I main guard/counter lance and hunting horn, but I go out of my way to make sure I'm proficient with every weapon. With that out of the way, while the lance's basic moveset can seem simple, maximizing your poking uptime and maintaining good positioning is where the complexity lies. Lance is actually capable of some really high damage output since if you're good at offensively repositioning and countering you've basically got near 100% stabbing uptime. It all comes down to making good use of guard dash + leaping thrust, power guard counter thrust for changing attack direction without pausing/losing damage, and quickly transitioning into dash attack/charge when the monster is out of range of leaping thrust. Lance at first glance seems like a slow defensive weapon but it is in fact the most aggressive and mobile weapon and I LOVE it.

Take switchaxe for instance. There are a grand total of... like, 1 or 2 that are optimal. Does it mean that the rest are worthless? No. You're barely saving time by going the most optimal, so it doesn't really matter. Use what you find works best for that particular foe.

I can tell you there are more than 2 good switchaxes. I've recently started practicing and trying things out with the swaxe and found some interesting mechanics that make a lot more axe than you'd think viable. For example I've got a 100% crit chance crit status build with the Paolumu swaxe reaching 637 blast buildup on crits. Between Element/zero sum discharge applying status on every hit(I did some science and it's 45% of the status buildup per hit) and the 2 secondary explosions you get per hit when the sword is in amped mode, which have 100% status application on proc, you get ridiculous amounts of blast procs. I also ran the numbers and dragon damage aside, the Paolumu axe with a full crit build is pretty much on the same level as the two "main" axes. Diablos axe reached 336 effective raw, Deviljho 316, and Paolumu 305, that's only a 10% difference. I still need to do tests with elemental damage on switchaxe, but with the number of hits you can get out of discharge and amped state, I would think elemental damage gets to do good work too.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 06:19:56 am by Ygdrad »

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 12, 2018, 11:27:13 am »

I main guard/counter lance and hunting horn, but I go out of my way to make sure I'm proficient with every weapon. With that out of the way, while the lance's basic moveset can seem simple, maximizing your poking uptime and maintaining good positioning is where the complexity lies. Lance is actually capable of some really high damage output since if you're good at offensively repositioning and countering you've basically got near 100% stabbing uptime. It all comes down to making good use of guard dash + leaping thrust, power guard counter thrust for changing attack direction without pausing/losing damage, and quickly transitioning into dash attack/charge when the monster is out of range of leaping thrust. Lance at first glance seems like a slow defensive weapon but it is in fact the most aggressive and mobile weapon and I LOVE it.
Glad to see someone who understands lance, considering how underused and underappreciated it is. It really is an enormously satisfying weapon despite the simplicity of its attacks, able to stick to the monster like glue and deliver some of the most consistent DPS of any weapon in the game. And the feeling when you take a huge attack on your shield with a perfectly timed power guard while everyone else around you desperately rolls away, then deliver a charged poke for huge damage directly on the monster's exposed face... feels good, man.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World - Featuring the angriest pickle
« Reply #216 on: September 12, 2018, 03:41:56 pm »

Regarding weapon popularity I was doing an expedition and ran across the First Wyverian while using lance. He said "Most hunters use the long sword. Very few hunters use the hunting horn. Your weapon ranks #11 in popularity"

I also enjoy that the palicos you run across will talk about what weapons their masters use.

In regards to Switchaxe, I remember in 4U when I mained SA I would use the Volvidon (Paralysis) axe when playing multiplayer. Element/status phials means you do even more status/element than you would think. Not sure how much that holds up in World or Gen. Point is outright damage isn't everything. Being able to paralyze or stun a monster increases the DPS of everyone in your team if you're playing online.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 12, 2018, 05:49:16 pm »

I have an lbg set that has max palico power on it. Pretty fun to use to solo tempered elders with.

I just sit at a distance and take pot shots while the cats do massive damage.

Takes about 10-ish minutes. Not winning any speed records but it's super easy.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 15, 2018, 10:35:41 pm »

If anyone is looking for hunting partners, just hit me up on steam(Ygdrad), or on discord(Ygdrad#1297). Currently HR130+ and farming decorations/just hunting for fun.

I have an lbg set that has max palico power on it. Pretty fun to use to solo tempered elders with.

I just sit at a distance and take pot shots while the cats do massive damage.

Takes about 10-ish minutes. Not winning any speed records but it's super easy.

Thanks to the pc modding scene and mods showing you monster HP, someone was able to show that palicos can actually deal a lot of damage under certain circumstances, dealing 60-170 damage per hit using the shieldspire ability. Might actually try to fit palico rally in a hunting horn set  with maybe wide range for MEOWXIMUM GAINS.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 10:39:59 pm by Ygdrad »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 16, 2018, 05:21:55 am »

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2018, 06:27:04 pm »

For those of you interested in playing hunting horn but confused as to which horns to use, I've done some heavy number crunching and came up with a list of viable horns. I was surprised to see there are a lot more than you'd think at first glance.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunterWorld/comments/9gzlry/a_breakdown_of_various_viable_hunting_horns/?

My general favorite is Bazel's horn because it is almost at the top damage-wise and has the extra added utility of 2 size 2 deco slots, attack up XL song for the party along with an easy song for damage output which heals people as a bonus.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 06:30:13 pm by Ygdrad »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2018, 08:58:07 am »

My issue isn't when someone chooses something sub-optimal and isn't fitting with the current meta etc. etc., its when someone becomes absolutely useless/a liability because their load out is so awful. In MHW for instance, you get a max of three reviews per team - if one player is just woefully badly equipped (and purposefully, not just a beginner) then it damages everyone's enjoyment.

I really haven't played MHW long enough to know if it's really a major problem and I'm the furthest away from Elitist possible. However, I've played various other multiplayer games where it can get annoying - it's mostly just when there's a risk to the whole team, and someone decides that they want to use 'magical flute of pacifism' for a massive boss rather than 'super deadly axe of slaying' just for the lols. I get they're having fun, but the other players aren't.
I agree with this. It's annoying when I'm trying to get help farming a HR monster in Generations Ultimate but some asshole using aerial bow with a mixed LR Armor set without any armor skills is repeatedly triple carting. Like I don't generally care what weapon or armor people use, or even if they're not a very skilled player, or wether or not their loadout is """""meta optimized""""", but if a single person's presence is actively being such a hindrance that the other members of the party are unable to accomplish anything at all, that's kind of the point where I decide that maybe I'd be having more fun if I kicked them
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:59:56 am by IronTomato »

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2018, 12:44:52 pm »

The thing is that only your playstyle and skill at the game can make you a liability or useless. A person without any armor skill will still have about 50% of the damage of a full meta build on one of the weaker maxed weapons. As long as this person keeps hitting the monster normally and isn't carting it's not going to be a big deal since it's not a large overall loss of damage in a 4-man group.

People can have the whackiest or shittiest gear sets, as long as they've got an upgraded weapon and aren't actively losing the quest for me, I'm not going to mind them.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World
« Reply #223 on: December 31, 2018, 01:43:47 pm »

Ermagerrrrrsh I got this on PC and it's the best thing ermagersh.

Anyway I got me an Insect Glaive and it's stupid fun, but I have trouble killing things solo on expeditions. Any tips on DPS-doings? Like right now my plan is:

1) Red Buff
1.1) If I cant get that right off the bat, mount the thing and nab it while it's down
2) Combo until something on the baddie breaks, work some buff-grabbing into things, etc.
3) It runs the hell away (severely injured) and eventually leaves the area before I can actually slay it.

Am I missing a thing? It feels like a meh-DPS with good utility/support for a group since it's so easy to mount/dodge about.

I have played previous titles, and I agree that you are only an outright hindrance if you have low skill. That's true of most co-op games, all in all. Even if I suck at doing DPS with me Glaive, so long as I'm not dying left and right I am at least helping. Like if you know you can't kill the monster/don't know the fight/etc, don't try to learn by charging in and finding out what happens until the mission fails. If you really feel you need to watch other players in action just... stand off to the side a bit, play cautiously, watch for a while before engaging fully.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:52:31 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World
« Reply #224 on: December 31, 2018, 02:23:58 pm »

Ermagerrrrrsh I got this on PC and it's the best thing ermagersh.

Anyway I got me an Insect Glaive and it's stupid fun, but I have trouble killing things solo on expeditions. Any tips on DPS-doings? Like right now my plan is:

1) Red Buff
1.1) If I cant get that right off the bat, mount the thing and nab it while it's down
2) Combo until something on the baddie breaks, work some buff-grabbing into things, etc.
3) It runs the hell away (severely injured) and eventually leaves the area before I can actually slay it.

Am I missing a thing? It feels like a meh-DPS with good utility/support for a group since it's so easy to mount/dodge about.
With Insect Glaive you generally want to upkeep all three varieties of monster kool-aid. Barring that, at least get both strawberry and coconut (red and white) at the same time; having both of them will make your combos awesome and essentially multiply your DPS. Plus, coconut's deliciously smooth flavor increases your unsheathed movement speed and vault height, which you're gonna want.

You've probably already figured this out, but don't spam jumping attacks too often. Your real damage comes from grounded combos; flitting about is just utility and a convenient way to dodge certain moves.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:25:56 pm by Nighthawk »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32