Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32

Author Topic: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne  (Read 50678 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
« Reply #450 on: October 16, 2020, 02:42:21 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'd watch it. I mean, the standards for the narrative behind an action flick isn't all that high and all it takes is a few good moments to become something enjoyable... I have a vaguely positive impression of Pacific Rim almost entirely on the strength of being amused by Ron Perlman and a line that I have no idea what they actually said, but will be forever engrained as "Left brain's gone rogue!"

Closing shot to setup a sequel (that will never be made, even in this alternate universe) is a nice shot of people (including Hunter and Felyne love interest random female) celebrating and looking over the ocean wondering what their future in this foreign world will entail... and the place starts rumbling to reveal Lagiacrus or Ceadeus majestically breaching over the ocean. Cut as they realize that there are still other portals and, worse for them, they're underwater. Alternatively, if you go with the St. George reveal (which, damn it, I actually like), close out with rumors of mysterious snakes (though any truly serpentine Monsters escape me at the moment) showing up on a nearby island. Because who cares that Ireland never actually had a problem with snakes back then, and that there was a ~century gap between St. Patrick and St. George?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 16, 2020, 11:37:13 am »

Lol

The best part is when they abandon their guns for actual in game weapons with magical powers. And of course it stars Milla Jovovich, Queen of video game movie adaptations.
I read that the reason for this is because she's married to the director. The same director that directs all of these movies.

But it's just something I heard so take it with a grain of salt.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 16, 2020, 12:31:17 pm »

I'm told the movie will have meowscular chef in it.

Maybe this is all just intentional, and it's just gonna be ham all the way down. Like I actually do want to see Milla Jovovich doing her campy straight-faced stoic action hero thing next to a laughing, ripped CGI cat chef. It ought to be the weirdest damn thing I've ever seen.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 16, 2020, 01:37:25 pm »

It's definitely gonna be ham. Like, more ham than I have well done steak in my actual Monster Hunter item box.

Would I prefer a really high-quality movie that more accurately depicts the universe of Monster Hunter? Well, yeah. But knowing what to expect, I can't really be that mad, even as a huge fan of the games. It'll be a dumb action movie, which can still be an entertaining watch.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 16, 2020, 02:46:25 pm »

Would I prefer a really high-quality movie that more accurately depicts the universe of Monster Hunter? Well, yeah. But knowing what to expect, I can't really be that mad, even as a huge fan of the games. It'll be a dumb action movie, which can still be an entertaining watch.

Ok but

I played through monster hunter world, and It's about a bunch of trained professional natural scientists and explorers who know about as much about natural science as a set of zoobooks could teach them in a week. They set up a colony the size of a NFL stadium in the style of a luxury resort complete with finely masoned castles and penthouse apartments that would make Donald who is The Trump blush. They then proceed to utterly decimate the local ecosystem by butchering every existing apex predator in their immediate area, the neighboring areas, and landmasses that they didn't even know existed until they tracked fleeing wildlife there. They give the unclassified ancient fossil specimens to the cat to make for dinner.

The boss fights are invariably "We discovered a natural process that we don't understand, we need to interrupt it immediately, with violence". I really could go on for quite a while.

Really man this is probably going to be a pretty accurate depiction in spirit, if not in form.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 02:53:56 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 16, 2020, 03:14:16 pm »

I mean... kind of? I never said the folks from the Monster Hunter universe were smart, or peace-loving. But they sure as heck aren't a bunch of magically isekai'd military people; They're natives of their own world. Saying those two things are similar is like comparing a roleplay heavy session of tabletop D&D to sitting around a sofa playing the hack-and-slash Baldur's Gate games on console. Yeah, you're technically playing an RPG in both situations, but the feel of the game and the execution are leagues apart.

To put it another way: if it was truly trying to adhere faithfully to the Monster Hunter games, the movie would likely follow a hunter or group of hunters with the end goal of becoming G-rank (Master Rank) or slaying a big bad black dragon or something. But instead we're getting U.S. Military vs. Monster Hunter monsters: the movie. To call those two concepts one and the same would be a stretch.

Edit - I repeat, I'm not really torn up about the movie. I don't expect much from most videogame->movie adaptations. But as someone who enjoys the Monster Hunter universe for what it is (including the fact that "RESEARCH" apparently means, "ANNIHILATE"), I would have been a lot more excited to get a movie that has at least a somewhat stronger connection to Monster Hunter's rather sparse and often lackadaisical world lore.

Edit2 - Or they could at least get the size of a Rathalos right. I mean, c'mon. This is definitely not correct.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:22:27 pm by Nighthawk »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 16, 2020, 03:53:41 pm »

I love this series for it's cool fights and utterly goofy setup, mind you. Me and my buds play it up and have a blast.

And yeah you're totes right, it's not a faithful representation of monster hunter insofar as established canon goes. But to me Monster Hunter at it's core is about a bunch of shallow violence mongers mindlessly blasting wildlife into oblivion. This meets that criteria.

Like I got people in my discard up in arms about how Diablos is a vegetarian and therefore it wouldn't consider Milla Jovovich it's prey and I wanna be like yo buffalo will actively attack other animals that they know to be a threat. In this way does a 30-ton spiked dragon attack Milla Jovovich out of fear, for it knows she wants it's bones to nourish her trained attack butterfly.

To me the more I play the more I realize that if a dude joined my hunt with an AK47 dressed in US desert camo it would be the least strange thing about the game thus far. I'm sorry I don't mean to be argumentative as if it's not ok to dislike the movie because of its disregard for lore, I really just like making fun of the raw absurdity of the game and the level of devotion some of my friends have to the minutiae of it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 03:56:49 pm by Dunamisdeos »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 16, 2020, 06:34:38 pm »

Yes Milla Jovovich is Paul WS Anderson's wife which is why she stars in all his movies, e.g. Resident Evil.  Same way Kate Beckinsale is Len Wiseman's wife which is why she starts in all the Underworld movies.  Many parallels.

I guess the movie could be fun for big monster fights and stuff but going by Resident Evil I doubt it.  Here's a Paul WS Anderson fight scene.  Even if the CGI is better, this is the level of competence you can expect.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 06:39:57 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 16, 2020, 08:05:59 pm »

any truly serpentine Monsters escape me at the moment.
Not a movie buff so I have nothing further to add myself, but I figured I'd point out that there is a single Snake Wyvern in Najarala (and Tidal Najarala. Remobra doesn't count IMO) as well as the elder dragon Dalamadur, all which do have limbs but are the most snake-like things in the series. Leviathans are the closest thing to snakes after that. A majority of Rotten Vale actually takes place inside the skeleton of a Dalamadur, and you can even find bits of its blue stuff somewhere down by odoggo's nest. I also read somewhere that the shape of MHW's map takes the form of a massive Dalamadur with the head starting near the third fleet's research camp icon, but I'm not quite convinced.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 18, 2020, 02:44:35 pm »

To me the more I play the more I realize that if a dude joined my hunt with an AK47 dressed in US desert camo it would be the least strange thing about the game thus far. I'm sorry I don't mean to be argumentative as if it's not ok to dislike the movie because of its disregard for lore, I really just like making fun of the raw absurdity of the game and the level of devotion some of my friends have to the minutiae of it.
Nah, I getcha. It'd be one thing if Monster Hunter games had intricately woven stories, but they're mainly an excuse for you to whack cool creatures and turn them into hats. That's kind of what I like about the series, anyway; it tends to put storytelling on the backburner in favor of having really solid gameplay to carry the experience. I guess it would be kind of hard to communicate that concept in a movie, anyway, so whatever this film ends up being, it'll still be a great way to get more eyes on the franchise.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: October 19, 2020, 10:18:53 pm »

Anywho- I picked up the dootstick so I can buff my friends as they all bought into monster hunter, but I can put it away now since my brother hasn't stop hunting since he bought the game a week ago and is very nearly as progressed as I am, and the other two kinda sorta fell off at the jagras. Hauling a horn with "All Negative Ailments Negated" around against the likes of, say, the Tobi Kadachis, or the Kirin, man it takes the wind out of them. Whuzzat, Vaal Hazaak? You want to give us all half-life with effluvia? Nah. Stun? Doesn't happen to guys like me any more. Explosion? That fuse is snuffed.

Best feeling.
Horn is godlike and we musicians know not to let anyone tell us otherwise. Neutering the worst status effects, exhausting every non-elder in mere minutes, and buffing the attack of everyone in the party by 20%?

Yeah, it's a bit clunky compared to many weapons, but you'd think more people would be willing to try it considering the outrageous benefits.

Rock on, friend. Rock on.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 19, 2020, 10:31:43 pm »

It's sad that hunting horn is the least used weapon, at least according to the first wyverian on PC... and apparently lance is the second least used. I imagine people don't like lance because the main attacks aren't very flashy compared to the other weapons? Hunting horn on the other hand is just really hard to play well with, plus there's the learning songs etc. to contend with that isn't very helpful for a beginner dooter. Plus, people consider it a 'support weapon' even though it can do some pretty good damage as well as KO.

As for myself, I like weapons with shields. I should try playing around with Charge Blade more, but Lance is my crutch and it's hard to play without my crutch.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 20, 2020, 12:54:08 am »

It's sad that hunting horn is the least used weapon, at least according to the first wyverian on PC... and apparently lance is the second least used. I imagine people don't like lance because the main attacks aren't very flashy compared to the other weapons? Hunting horn on the other hand is just really hard to play well with, plus there's the learning songs etc. to contend with that isn't very helpful for a beginner dooter. Plus, people consider it a 'support weapon' even though it can do some pretty good damage as well as KO.

As for myself, I like weapons with shields. I should try playing around with Charge Blade more, but Lance is my crutch and it's hard to play without my crutch.
I feel like I'm running into the cool people who play the cool underused weapons recently, wow! Lance is one of my other favorite weapons in World along with Hunting Horn (closely followed by Switch Axe and a bit of Sword and Shield). And yeah, it is super unpopular, partially because it's boring, like you said, and partially because its damage tends to fall off, at least compared to a lot of the other options; the lack of a dedicated high DPS burst option on downed monsters doesn't do it any favors.

The obvious upshot is, a competent Lance user will easily deal 2x the damage of a less competent anything else user over the course of a hunt, because the weapon is so consistent and safe.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what Monster Hunter Rise (the upcoming Switch title) will do for these two unpopular weapons in particular. With the addition of wirebugs, it looks like every weapon will have a decent fast approach option, which could benefit Lance a lot. And we've seen zero footage of Hunting Horn in Rise, so they could be doing just about anything with it. World did a lot to make the weapon more comfortable to use... I really hope Rise gives it some additional spice.

Edit - As a side rant, I kind of understand Hunting Horn's lack of popularity, but Lance being so seldom used just bugs me. What could possibly be more badass than holding up a shield and standing your ground to tank a gigantic fireball/bodyslam/explosion/laser to the face while the rest of your teammates cower in fear and roll in every direction to get away?! No other weapon makes me feel invincible the way Lance does. It's glorious.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 12:56:31 am by Nighthawk »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 20, 2020, 08:32:50 am »

I played Lance through most of MHW but eventually got bored of it.  It is fun at first to stand in the monster's face and just stab it over and over but it does get kind of boring.  The big thing with it I think is consistency.  With a defensive build you can basically be invincible and you can block literally everything, with the right talents you can even block Nergigante's divebomb and Vaal Hazak's death ray, so even though you don't do much damage your only real downtime is when you have to reposition.  But eventually stabbing gets boring.
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 20, 2020, 08:58:20 am »

In vanilla MHW I switched back and forth between greatsword and bow once I was tired of lance, Iceborne I was exclusively greatsword up until guiding lands where I started getting into hammer.

The iceborne upgrades for greatsword made it way too much fun though, hypermobility and so many ways to near-instantly transition to TCS, you could keep your damage up constantly and easily follow the monster or dodge whatever it did, and as soon as there was an opening you could go straight for TCS.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32