Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 97141 times)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #165 on: December 28, 2017, 06:39:27 pm »

Interdictors and Immobilizers, now apparently the same thing, for whatever reason are barely canon anymore, and apparently First Order doesn't use them anymore for whatever reason, so this "hard counter" existed only for like 20 in-universe years, and even then, considering apparently the new canon has an instance of a ship hyperspacing out of an atmosphere of a planet, well into it's gravity well, Han hyperspaces almost straight into Starkiller base which I am pretty sure has a gravity well, considering it has fucking atmosphere. In new canon you can apparently turn off the safeguards on whim, which kinda makes Interdictors useless anyway.

Although the original movies also do imply that Millenium Falcon might have the "stop from flying into things" safeguards taken off, as Han says they could fly into a star, so I'd say it can be assumed the safeguards can be taken off but it's probably something you must do by mechanically screwing with the hyperspace drive, which means that almost all ships will have the safeguards in place, especially military ones, and nobody will really have time to override them during battle.

Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 01, 2018, 09:13:55 am »

Haven’t read through the thread yet but who the heck was Snoke anyways? He came out of nowhere and died without much explanation except that he’s not a Sith Lord, doesn’t have a lightsaber, and is possibly one of the most Force-sensitive beings ever seeing as he can telepathically link two people several light years across, plus he can read minds and have weird and confusing ideas about the Dark Side.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 01, 2018, 09:38:36 am »

I'm, like, 99% sure he didn't actually link the two, especially since they were still linked after his death.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 01, 2018, 09:46:29 am »

OR he isn't quite dead.

Which would make sense sort of, given that they explained nothing about the character origins, and the Sith from nowhere is a stupid macguffin in my eyes.

Plus neither Kylo nor General Middlemanagement are credible villains. Both are sort of ridiculous.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #169 on: January 01, 2018, 10:18:25 am »

Haven’t read through the thread yet but who the heck was Snoke anyways? He came out of nowhere and died without much explanation except that he’s not a Sith Lord, doesn’t have a lightsaber, and is possibly one of the most Force-sensitive beings ever seeing as he can telepathically link two people several light years across, plus he can read minds and have weird and confusing ideas about the Dark Side.
Nobody knows. Not even in new books. He is complete mystery, he just came up, took control of First Order and was Snoke.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 01, 2018, 10:20:36 am »

I'm sure there'll be a prequel book and/or trilogy explaining that he was a municipal functionary of Somewhere or Other who took Ben Solo to a play now and again and told him cool stories about how the Force doesn't actually have a coherent moral divide in how it works or is applied, maybe a tragedy about a wise scholar who used this knowledge to become immortal only to mysteriously fall down a flight of stairs and die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2018, 11:01:51 am »

I'm, like, 99% sure he didn't actually link the two, especially since they were still linked after his death.

Or he just thinks that he facilitated it. Not impossible that his ego blinded him to what actually happened especially when Kylo later fooled him into thinking that he was thinking about his lightsabre and not the one right next to him.

OR he isn't quite dead.

Which would make sense sort of, given that they explained nothing about the character origins, and the Sith from nowhere is a stupid macguffin in my eyes.

Plus neither Kylo nor General Middlemanagement are credible villains. Both are sort of ridiculous.

Nobody knows. Not even in new books. He is complete mystery, he just came up, took control of First Order and was Snoke.

Yeah, even in wookiepedia he pretty much came from nowhere.

As for him being dead, Darth Maul didn't survive being bisected by a lightsabre (he also fell into a powercore, so theres that) either, and the director himself said that Snoke is permanently dead.

Seems to be all about trying to break from the past and forge a new future.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 01, 2018, 11:36:19 am »

As for him being dead, Darth Maul didn't survive being bisected by a lightsabre (he also fell into a powercore, so theres that)

... he actually survived, canonically.

Anyway:
- If he turns out to have a point and a background beyond a walking McGuffin/Palpatine stand-in, then what they did is poor storytelling.

- If he turns out NOT to have a background, and he´s nothing but a walking McGuffin/Palpatine stand-in because yadda yadda we´re starting something new not going with the old, then it´s poor storytelling, and needlessly complicated (The easiest way to do away with the previous setting is NOT starting at the previous setting.

Kind of lame, too. Surprise killing characters off is a gimmick copied from the GoT gameshow which gets old very soon (Worth noting that in the books they do this stuff far less often)

« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:40:29 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 01, 2018, 11:57:25 am »

I hope the main trilogy Rogue One's us and kills off all the characters at the end.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #174 on: January 01, 2018, 12:12:41 pm »

As for him being dead, Darth Maul didn't survive being bisected by a lightsabre (he also fell into a powercore, so theres that)

Ye. Both in old EU and in actual new canon, since he shows up in Clone Wars cartoons or Rebels or w/e. They just give him a set of mechanical legs and he's kicking. In old Canon he even fought with Vader, I think.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2018, 03:39:56 pm »

Anyway:
- If he turns out to have a point and a background beyond a walking McGuffin/Palpatine stand-in, then what they did is poor storytelling.

- If he turns out NOT to have a background, and he´s nothing but a walking McGuffin/Palpatine stand-in because yadda yadda we´re starting something new not going with the old, then it´s poor storytelling, and needlessly complicated (The easiest way to do away with the previous setting is NOT starting at the previous setting.

Kind of lame, too. Surprise killing characters off is a gimmick copied from the GoT gameshow which gets old very soon (Worth noting that in the books they do this stuff far less often)

Well... Palpatine in Empire pops up out of nowhere. No backstory or nuffin'. I don't think the backstory is even really explored at all until the Prequel trilogy. I mean the Prequel trilogy is pretty much Palpatine's rise to power.

A cynic would say they're keeping his backstory as a reason to make another movie or three.

The two new movies in the series have pretty much been rehashes of the original trilogy. Obviously so in the case of the Force Awakens being A New Hope, and The Last Jedi sharing elements of Empire and RotJ.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 01, 2018, 04:41:56 pm »

[
Well... Palpatine in Empire pops up out of nowhere. No backstory or nuffin'. I don't think the backstory is even really explored at all until the Prequel trilogy. I mean the Prequel trilogy is pretty much Palpatine's rise to power.
Not really the same. Back then there was no backstory to to conflict with.  I also daresay that, particularily with the former fact in mind, we do get a bit of exposure during the movies. We dont know the details, but we have a general outline of where palp stands
A cynic would say they're keeping his backstory as a reason to make another movie or three
Sloppy storytelling for the sake of greater profit is still sloppy
The two new movies in the series have pretty much been rehashes of the original trilogy. Obviously so in the case of the Force Awakens being A New Hope, and The Last Jedi sharing elements of Empire and RotJ.
Yeah, everything feels like they are changing the bare minimum they can to avoid being accused of self plagiarism

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 01, 2018, 06:42:03 pm »

[
Not really the same. Back then there was no backstory to to conflict with.  I also daresay that, particularily with the former fact in mind, we do get a bit of exposure during the movies. We dont know the details, but we have a general outline of where palp stands

'Sides, the equivalent of Palpatine appearing in Empire for Snoke was his appearance in Force Awakens, not the Last Jedi.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 01, 2018, 07:06:26 pm »

[

'Sides, the equivalent of Palpatine appearing in Empire for Snoke was his appearance in Force Awakens, not the Last Jedi.

Parallels can be made with RotJ for this one then :p

Luke Rey surrenders himself herself to Vader Kylo, who takes him her to Palpatine Snoke, who is then killed by Vader Kylo ‘cause Palpatine Snoke was a bit too confident in Vader’s Kylo’s loyalty.

Not really sure how the lack of background is different this time to the original three though. There’s enough copying of older films that the mystery of Snoke is the same as the mystery of Palpatine from the original trilogy.

Palpatine gets mentioned in passing in the first movie (emperor has dissolved the senate how will order be maintained without the bureaucracy this battle station etc.) then makes an appearance via holocomm in the second and is the big bad in the third, trying to turn our protag antag. Snoke makes an appearance via holocomm in the first, and in the second is revealed to have been a big bad for a while, and... well, thinks the protag’ll get killed by the antag. Close enough.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2018, 02:14:03 am »

But... he doesn't. I think even in the first movie they mention him dissolving the Senate, and we get to know that he was, together with Vader, responsible for destruction of Jedi and I think Clone Wars are mentioned. And if you count in novelisations, which we should, since Snoke is not explained in the Disney Trilogy books either, we get to know he was elected "President of The Republic" and caused the change from Republic to Empire. Probably more things I forgot. Sure, we don't know where he was born or anything, but we know how he got to his place and why he is actually such a big deal.
Meanwhile Snoke just is.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 81