Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 81

Author Topic: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]  (Read 96692 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars [Warning: Spoilers inside!]
« Reply #750 on: December 23, 2018, 10:07:11 pm »

You were in Brazil though, not the USA, wasn't that right?That group has a lot more political influence on many institutions in the USA than in Latin America, I'd think, so the two places wouldn't necessarily be comparable.

Additionally, cultural influence has very little to do with raw numbers of people. Polling people on the street then deciding that because such-and-such a view is common / not-common, therefore it must have social power / lack social power isn't a valid deduction. Very small numbers of people holding specific views can in fact have a much larger influence on the culture as a whole than raw numbers of man-on-the-street thinking.

The type of people who hold SJW views are heavily dominant in pretty much every faculty of American universities except for STEM and business / finance, and certain schools such as "dentistry". There aren't many social justice people trying to kick the doors down to be dentists.

Jonothan Haidt mentions that only 20 years ago, American university faculties were split 3-to-1 liberal vs conservatives. So, conservatives were a minority, but there were still enough of them that you could have a debate about stuff and have different viewpoints covered. Now, it's 15-to-1 liberal-to-conservative. But, that's still factoring in a ton of fields where political affiliation isn't an issue. Factor those non-left fields out, and the fields which deal with culture and communication are something like 60 liberal lecturers per 1 conservative lecturer in the USA - and those lone university lecturers have learned to keep their mouths shut about any conservative viewpoints they might hold, since that's a surefire way to have students attack you with Title IX complaints. So, USA college's humanities fields have an overwhelming amount of orthodoxy, and there are tribunal systems for punishing lecturers who even so much as hint at some non-PC viewpoint. It only takes one student in the class who is an SJW to drag a lecturer through a months-long investigation into something everyone involved can clearly see is bullshit. This actually happened to Jonothan Haidt personally btw. Lots of other American lecturers are purging their courses of anything remotely challenging to students because they're all scared that some material they present could be viewed as having racist/classist/ableist/sexist connotations. So say bye bye to students learning the classics, or most philosophers unless they're squeaky-clean SJW-approved philosophers. The state of modern American colleges vis-a-vis SJWs is part Lord of the Flies, another part The Crucible.

So, yeah, go on the street and poll people and you won't meet many avowed SJWs, but go to American universities and poll the humanities professors and students, those people who are going to be framing the next era of culture, and you're basically not going to find anyone from the conservative half of the population whatsoever, and a good chunk of the most prominent ones will be full-blown SJW.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 10:43:56 pm by Reelya »

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 24, 2018, 09:02:26 am »

So, yeah, go on the street and poll people and you won't meet many avowed SJWs, but go to American universities and poll the humanities professors and students, those people who are going to be framing the next era of culture, and you're basically not going to find anyone from the conservative half of the population whatsoever, and a good chunk of the most prominent ones will be full-blown SJW.
Being politically Liberal =/= being an SJW. As a American, and someone who has been to university there, I haven't met any SJWs, and I've been more far more inconvenienced by people being "anti-SJW" or rebelling against "PC culture" than anything done by the supposed SJWs.

I think the last thing I saw about SJWs and Star Wars was folks claiming that Solo's box office was a victory against new Star Wars and the "SJWs" running it. Considering Solo is the first new Star Wars film to have a white male lead, I find that kindof amusing.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 24, 2018, 11:25:27 am »

oh here we go again

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 24, 2018, 11:27:28 am »

Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 24, 2018, 11:29:05 am »

I kind of wanted to engage, but realized it wouldn't be good for anybody, and sort of hope everyone realizes this with a step back and an attempt at an outsider view

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 24, 2018, 01:28:04 pm »

Rather than talk about the minutiae of American politics in the Star Wars thread, I'll just say that Solo suffered from the huge backlash over TLJ, it was regardless an enjoyable movie, Donald Glover was actually fantastic.

Also, Finn/Poe were utterly useless in TLJ. They did nothing that any other rando rebel couldn't have done, aside from making things worse at every opportunity without personal consequence, I guess. Rose is somehow even more pointless. Rose is the worst Star Wars character. All three of them basically got assigned important tasks, failed miserably at every turn, then came through by sheer plot convenience each time. Even Rey learned absolutely nothing and then just sort of winged her way through winning at everything.

It had fun parts, sure, but it was objectively bad. Disney's plan seems to be to deny any problem whatsoever forevermore, which will only result in fanning the hate flames forevermore.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 24, 2018, 01:35:17 pm »

It had fun parts, sure, but it was objectively bad. Disney's plan seems to be to deny any problem whatsoever forevermore, which will only result in fanning the hate flames forevermore.
Quoth the raven: Forevermore.

Hopefuly J.J. Abrams will have learned from the mistakes of Rian Johnson... but we'll see next year, won't we?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 24, 2018, 01:45:42 pm »

Then handed it back to Abrams? Fuck, prepare for yet another retread...

What's worse than a Death Star Planet? A Death Star Star! The released race horses from TLJ returns to wage guerrilla war against it. A new Emperor guy will appear out of nowhere too.
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 24, 2018, 01:57:49 pm »

yeah a full dang year later i am officially capable of having an opinion on this movie and:

it was way too damn long, finn part was worthless throughout (felt like a filler episode of a TV show) and that's easily the biggest sin, i can't remember a damn lick of the movie besides one or two Big Moments, which is a pretty huge indictment

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: December 24, 2018, 02:11:31 pm »

What's worse than a Death Star Planet? A Death Star Star! The released race horses from TLJ returns to wage guerrilla war against it. A new Emperor guy will appear out of nowhere too.
You mean a retread like the Battle of Dry Hoth?
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 24, 2018, 02:23:52 pm »

While I enjoyed TFA, it was almost a carbon-copy of A New Hope. I was ok with it because it felt like a lead-in to a new Star-Wars universe and since they'd cut out the EU it was like, ok, so you're acknowledging the previous stuff (from a certain point of view ha ha oh me), ok cool let's go forward from here.

I hope we do not get another retread. Salty Hoth was less than inspired.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 02:39:40 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: December 24, 2018, 02:51:38 pm »

While I enjoyed TFA, it was almost a carbon-copy of A New Hope. I was ok with it because it felt like a lead-in to a new Star-Wars universe and since they'd cut out the EU it was like, ok, so you're acknowledging the previous stuff (from a certain point of view ha ha oh me), ok cool let's go forward from here.

I imagine this has been discussed to death but... I really wish they went with a "Old EU is still canon as long as it doesn't conflict with new stuff" instead of just throwing it all out.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: December 24, 2018, 02:58:30 pm »

I imagine this has been discussed to death but... I really wish they went with a "Old EU is still canon as long as it doesn't conflict with new stuff" instead of just throwing it all out.

Agreed, but it does at least seem that they are just sort of finding things in the EU and presenting it as original canon.

Wait No. No, that's worse.

Specifically, they've been talking recently about their totally original idea that Anakin was created via Darth Plagueis' technique of manipulating the force to create life, which they outright lifted from the Plagueis EU novel.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: December 24, 2018, 03:08:34 pm »

That's not from the novel. That was totally implicit in Episode III. Have you never heard the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: December 24, 2018, 03:10:06 pm »

That's not from the novel. That was totally implicit in Episode III. Have you never heard the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

I mean that was an implication, but then in that book they were like hey yeah this happened, donezo.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 81