Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26

Author Topic: Simple Fort... Succession game... Resident clowns  (Read 56141 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Fort... Succession game
« Reply #300 on: September 22, 2018, 08:00:41 pm »

I don't think I can do it. Don't have enough time. Gonna take my name off the list. PMed Iduno
Edit: Giving Iduno time until Magistrum appears here for his turn (PM'd Magistrum)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:18:23 am by snow dwarf »
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 25, 2018, 02:53:14 pm »

What? I was paying attention. Now what was going on? Scribbles notes while half paying attention: "kill crocodiles, desecrate Onciblu, Stoat is not real." Got it.

I'll grab the fort tonight. What version are we on, and where's the sticky explaining how to post pictures properly?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:24:15 pm by Iduno »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 25, 2018, 04:40:03 pm »

Ok. Version and save downloaded, beer opened, confusion engaged.

I'll take a look around to find out what needs to be accomplished and why we have wounded. Who needs dwarfin'?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 26, 2018, 08:30:26 am »

Metalnut - 20th Slate, 559:

Let's see, this is a lot. 102 dwarves, several of which are wounded, and more are too insane to work. The last overseer "got too busy" (hope everything works out, Snow), so the fort is now in my hands. I was chosen as the most reasonable, sane, and useful dwarf in the fortress. Etur 'Iduno' Orangebolt: Fisher, soldier, overseer, visionary.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First order of business, checking out the overseers keyring. Key f7 now gets us to the upper exploratory mines, and key f8 gets us to the forges. F1 is still the entrance and a pile of corpses, f2 is some kind of stockpile and a lot of dead/wounded, f3 is for the workshops, f4 are our bedrooms, f5 is the forges...cemetery, and f6 is the caverns I guess.

I also added the most important animal training skill to all of our animal trainers: butchery. I'll also hire up some cooks so we can get some decent meals around this place, quit making extra mechanisms, then improve the temple. That'll improve morale around here. And, uh, we're down to 2 coffins, so we'll need a lot more of those as well. I said PARTIES, not coffins. We need more PARTIES. (Someone tell me when people are listening, I can't have them knowing we're all doomed.)

Once some of these orders get through, I'll have them produce more reasonable numbers on a schedule instead of bulk orders. That'll keep everyone busy without overburdening us with 300 pots (changing frequency, and adding product and reagent limiters).

Also, a child is depressed, and out chief medical dwarf is about to lose it, so we've got a new chief medic. Then a bard slipped into depression, a half-dozen dwarves stumbled around obliviously, and our administrator went stark raving mad. If only there were some way to relocate the sanitarium to a room next to a nice, warm, bauxite floodgate with built-in pump system so we don't have to deal with the bodies...can comfort them. That'll be for later, though.

The queen is upset her room isn't good enough, and same with the baron and the mayor. If I can't find their rooms, I'll build them new ones below the forges. We really need some bauxite floodgates.

Did you know our coffins also contain the following: a sow, an ewe, not a stoat, rabbit, turkey, gander, lamb, and a cyclops? Remember the old dwarven saying about burials: When you think tragedies, think bp.

Felsite Update: a planter is also depressed, and we need cages (about 20 times per day) to fill our cage traps. Or the 3 copper bars (each) to make ten copper crutches. So I ordered 5 cages built, and our crutches will be wood now. Also, 5 wheelbarrows to speed up hauling. I hope we have some sane carpenters. 'Red Velvet' is oblivious, ABBA our armorer is also depressed, as is our queen (she never got the rings she asked for). Things are going great. Oops, a screw pump was just destroyed by our soap maker during a tantrum, which may have been cage-trap-related. Whatever, I had our miners begin exploratory mining near the forges to find more metal near enough to the forges that it will get used.

I'm noticing that a large portion of our workforce is currently operating pumps. Also, there is nothing being pumped. I...I'm sure there's a reason. That explanation also applies to "why is our trade depot outside, not near the gates (which are also just a hole with no gates or defenses), and currently fed by a hole in the wall leading directly to the middle of the fortress? We have kennels near our main entrance, which I could turn into a trade depot, and close the hole. At least we'd only have one area to defend during an attack that I know of, and 2 ropes are added near the gates for war dogs.

The wall to the outdoor trade depot is finished, and now I learn that it is the only way to get outside? Has nobody installed a stairway yet? We have several ramps that might go somewhere, but I'll get a real stairway. And another child is depressed, possibly because we need cages for the cage traps.

13th of Felsite: a forgotten beast. The bad news is: We don't really have any way of keeping it from killing everyone. The good news is: I don't know. Hopefully it's killable or can't get to us.

We can't get outside through the front entrance, I guess. I had someone pull the lever nearby, but the bridge didn't move. Hopefully it's blocking anyone from getting in, and hopefully the lever didn't open the floodgates full of goblins. Our mechanic is throwing a tantrum, so it's unlikely the bridge will get fixed. I put the hole back in near the outdoor trade depot, then wept got back to work. I also ordered restraints built near the hole, so we can have some war dogs protecting us. I also updated key f7 to be the trade depot.

Now we're out of coal for making steel. I added orders to several smelters, which will hopefully fix that. I won't hold my breath though, as I was just told we're still trying to make copper crutches after I cancelled the order. Also, we need an empty cage or 3, I know.

An insane farmer has been found dead of dehydration near the graveyard, so at least that's convenient. Also, the forgotten beast doesn't seem to be able to get to us, so our deaths will all have to wait until next month's horrible doom. Also, we don't have enough cages. You don't care, and neither do I, but we're still both going to hear about it. I added more carpenters, and the cages have been ordered. And a spinner is depressed.

Hematite Update: goblins, because we've been doing too well at getting rid of the...six hundred-ish? dead (I disposed of about 200 bodies using the dump command and the 8 coffins I got built). Great. Even better? They entered near the crossbow tower, which is currently unstaffed. I guess that means I'll need to shore up our defenses. I hear good things about cage traps. Mid-battle, a bard petitioned to drink our booze and eat our food in exchange for nothing. Maybe I shouldn't have turned them away; we'll need entertainment after hauling 1/4-1/3 of our fortress to the dump cemetery. The first of 2 waves of goblins was crushed by our army. The second was still approaching, when I moved in to finish them off. When the siege was broken, the remaining 83 of us breathed a sigh of relief. 62 more corpses (about 40 goblins) lay about the field when I ended the red alert, hoping to recover our wounded yet alive, although the fighting was not quite yet over.

At this point, a woodcrafter was taken by a mood, and our mining corps were adding to the job spam with magma-related issues while digging near the magma forges, so I told them repeatedly to keep digging. 80  of us yet remain. I guess Ameli Thitievane came to visit us, and might be some sort of liason? All 79 of us rushed to fill the trade depot with any damaged goblinite within 20 paces and cut gems between complaints of needing more cages. The humans meanwhile managed to kill off the remaining zero goblins and run over our wounded with their wagons. Hey, nice timing, jerks.

Ok, you know how sometimes you're getting too many complaints at once about cages traps, scary goblin corpses, warm stone near the magma, soldiers changing jobs, animals begin slaughtered, and people too depressed or busy throwing a fit to keep working? Our exploratory mining operation "may have" found adamantine, and the notice may have gotten lost in the sea of other messages, and SOMEONE may have told them "I don't care, just keep digging." The 3 flying demons who attacked were going to be more than a match for our remaining soldiers (nearly 10 in all), so all 76 of us (except children) have decided to join the military and make a final stand.

The punchline is our Woodcrafter just made an artifact:

The bad news is, now we have new spam: pickup equipment cancelled: interrupted by a boiling brute. But we did not go quietly.

OOC: I thought things were going well, up until the goblins showed up. I know the tower had been getting used, because I saw dwarves there earlier. I was interested in playing a lying dwarf who was spiraling into madness, but didn't get enough time for that. I was getting so much red text that I had to continually go through the announcements pages (so many pages) to see what was happening. Also, it looks like all dwarves need to be craftsdwarves now to keep from being angry at not being creative, and also need large breaks, and also need to see family. The emotions thing might be pretty cool after it has been tweaked, but right now anyone going to a butcher shop will be scarred for life. There's no hope for anyone who has seen a dwarven battlefield. Sorry about all of the demons. That was unexpected.

I can't get the save to upload, but I'll try again later if anyone wants it.

Edit: Images should work now.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:30:47 pm by Iduno »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 26, 2018, 08:41:39 am »

The pumps were supposed to build things like willpower and strength.... and the lever for the bridges is a different one, I set up one in an attempt to slowly attach levers to each individual bridge instead of all of them at once... but the dwarves decided the first bridge wasn't reachable, despite pathing through the area just fine before I raised the bridges..... I hate dwarves sometimes....

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 26, 2018, 12:12:25 pm »

Edit: how do I fix my images? They're coming up blank for me.

Link directly to the images, not the Imgur page.  You want the link that ends in .jpg or .png. I forget exactly how you get it but it should be pretty easy to get from the Imgur page.

The new emotions sound really rough. I may hold off on getting back into DF for a bit until the dorfs get more stable.

FWIW, pausing the game frequently and manually checking all dig orders helps a lot when a lot of red spam is happening.  And hey, at least you got demons! I or the overseer after me - we never quite sorted out who - managed to accidentally remove a whole back wall once and the fort got swarmed by a kobold horde.  That was embarrassing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 12:31:51 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 26, 2018, 12:37:11 pm »

managed to accidentally remove a whole back wall once and the fort got swarmed by a kobold horde.  That was embarrassing.
What fortress was that exactly

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: September 26, 2018, 12:47:58 pm »

managed to accidentally remove a whole back wall once and the fort got swarmed by a kobold horde.  That was embarrassing.
What fortress was that exactly

Drunkenwhims of Artifice
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80933.75

I'd forgotten about the crundle invasion. We had one of those too.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 26, 2018, 12:54:08 pm »

The emotion stuff isn't super bad, but dwarves get negative thoughts from everything. Part of the issue might be that the dwarves have a lot of wants compared to the amount of time they have. Family, religion, creativity, good meals, good drinks, sleep, etc. The creativity need is especially bad for soldiers, traders, medics, and haulers. Having a preference for one or two and not caring about the rest might help. Likewise, adverse reactions to dead bodies make sense, but don't work well in a game that has annual attacks by goblins (which produce a lot of dead bodies). Bottomless pits/canyons like the game used to have, or at least a volcano would make the bodies issue faster/easier to deal with.

Still, with the system as-is, I don't think we ever went over 10% refusing to work at any time during my turn (sample size of 1, and for ~2 months in-game, grain of salt, etc.).

It is interesting to see how the weird half-finished projects and work-arounds and lack of knowledge being passed on compounds in community games. Just the results of people having different methods of doing things leading to confusion (usually "lost" workshops, because people put them either where they will be needed or where the resources come from, with some percentage being put wherever there is space) is interesting. It's the first time I've ever seen demons in the game as well. Also, the first time in ages I've played without a graphics pack (I still don't know if it's expected with this fort, but it fits the theme of "simple"). Just because the turn was terrible for the dwarves doesn't mean it was at all bad for me.

edit: grammar
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:27:46 pm by Iduno »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 26, 2018, 12:57:58 pm »

Seeing how other players do things is definitely part of the fun with community forts.  There's a lot of similarities with large work projects actually, where people have to share tasks around.
To summarize:

onciblu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 26, 2018, 06:40:09 pm »

So you oppened the circus and the for is still alive? impressive.
Ô_ quack

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 26, 2018, 09:33:52 pm »

I'll do it! Let me be the one to die painfully in our hole in the ground!
In a time before time, I had a name.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 27, 2018, 04:20:50 pm »

So you oppened the circus and the for is still alive? impressive.

I made a save with 3-ish dwarves left, including at least 1 child and the queen. The demons will eat them before they starve, but they are currently still alive, yes.

Edit: File is right here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/download.php?id=14040&f=Simple+Fort.rar
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 04:39:42 pm by Iduno »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 28, 2018, 10:04:20 pm »

I've seen accidents due announcement spam before, but this is first time I see a fort (nearly) fall due it.

You know, it might have been wise to forbid the cage traps until the cages were done.

I also wonder how military got outside if gate was sealed, but I don't think that matters anymore.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 29, 2018, 02:00:53 pm »

We could always... roll back the save
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 26