Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 180

Author Topic: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"  (Read 218675 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random thoughts - On the Origins of "I Could Eat A Horse"
« Reply #1755 on: December 20, 2021, 09:09:58 am »

Shit, I bet I can get Starcraft to run in Wine.

Aw yiss 20 year old graphics add that to the list.

Dear santa, I want snow, it to be ass cold outside, way too hot inside, a bottle of rum, not be bothered for 10 days, and 20 year old graphics. We used to do a week of lan party between christmas and new year...  It's funny and sad how starcraft, warcraft 3, AOE2 and rise of nations are still pretty much guaranteed to be more fun than the first RTS that can found being sold for 50 bucks on the storefronts today.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: December 20, 2021, 02:16:49 pm »

... what 50 buck RTS games are they even making nowadays? I don't pay much attention to most stuff in that price range anymore, but I had a sort of half-there impression the genre was in a bit of a slump, production wise.

Also if you're talking brick and mortar storefronts, gods, it's was years even prior to the plague that I looked at what those were offering...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: December 20, 2021, 02:20:57 pm »

AOE4 even goes at 60, then you have northgard, which, granted, goes for 30... Other than that there were a bunch of remasters over the years.

Yes that genre is pretty much on life support since MOBAs exist.
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: December 29, 2021, 07:48:09 am »

lol why do ducks allways sprint fly like they are being chased by the devil, these things move forward! my personal pet  theory is that they handle flying like i do socializing - they'd rather be in their pond
let

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: January 03, 2022, 05:44:50 pm »

It always makes me a little sad to read about Little Lord Fauntleroy. Same spirit as this XKCD, I think.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: January 03, 2022, 06:32:29 pm »

Does anyone have a good example of nonfiction poetry?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: January 03, 2022, 06:34:04 pm »

The Charge of the Light Brigade? Other military or war-themed poems?

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: January 03, 2022, 06:39:28 pm »

I don't think that would count as nonfiction... or are those poetic accounts of actual events?

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: January 03, 2022, 06:53:11 pm »

Yeah, that's the point. Find a famous battle, or some heroic last stand, or even wartime atrocity. Real events. Somebody will likely have written a poem about it. Like with the aforementioned charge.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: January 03, 2022, 07:49:22 pm »

Almost all rap is non-fiction. You can look earlier for the roots of rap in spoken-word poetry around New York around the 50's and 60's.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: January 05, 2022, 09:25:08 am »

Tired to support behavioural problems 6 days a week. If you got  a whole car trailer + car worth of trash every 5-10 days yore doing something seriously wrong. Why do they all have buckets filled with phytotoxins... This morons haven't emptied a single one of these poisons. Our lack of strict rules has created it's own demand.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: January 05, 2022, 10:27:22 am »

The librarian joke is that we shelve all poetry as nonfiction (811 or 821 for english stuff, under dewey), so...

... but yeah, I can't recall any off the top of my head, but there is tons and tons and tons of autobiographical poetry out there, just huge frothing mountains of it, it's like flat out one of the most common sorts that get published and more or less all of it would count for what you seem to be talking about. Just go to amazon or whatever and scope their top selling poetry lists for something like that and you'll find piles of it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 10:34:21 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: January 05, 2022, 12:23:52 pm »

Can poetry really exist as non-fiction? I mean, while many poems can be read literally and can appear to be non-fiction, those words usually are the delivery mechanism for the allegory content and that content is often the type that make 3rd graders shudder when they fully understand it.

Something about:
- leaves falling from trees --> young people dying in war
- a fork in the road --> choices taken in life
- whispering of the wind --> memories of strong feelings for others
- seeing some young people --> reconciling the wastefulness of youth to the inability of the aged
- considering the number of drops of water in an ocean --> recognizing the insignificance of most all people

I would propose that most or all poetry is non-fiction because of the allegoric content, not because the actual words of the poem offer non-fiction.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: January 05, 2022, 01:14:52 pm »

Eh, there's definitely stuff that calls itself poetry that's very literal with a subject that would traditionally be considered non-fiction. There's also long form poetry or verse literature that's novel length poems with a subject that would be generally be labeled fiction. Poetry ranges really bloody far in terms of form and function (especially if you're of the opinion it strongly overlaps with music, which isn't exactly a radical position to take), and at the end of the day I don't think it's any more limited than prose in terms of if it can be fiction or non-fiction.

... fortunately, my job's easy and I don't have to consider fiddly bits -- all poetry is shelved in the 800s as nonfiction and I don't have to care beyond that :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: January 05, 2022, 02:58:41 pm »

Tired to support behavioural problems 6 days a week. If you got  a whole car trailer + car worth of trash every 5-10 days yore doing something seriously wrong. Why do they all have buckets filled with phytotoxins... This morons haven't emptied a single one of these poisons. Our lack of strict rules has created it's own demand.

Have you explained to them that, because they are not plants, they are safe to drink?

I have no serious imput on this, people just do weird stuff for reasons nobody can adequately explain.
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119 120 ... 180