Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.12 Released  (Read 220509 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 0.44.12 Released
« on: July 07, 2018, 07:46:33 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

Just some cleaning before we embark on the villain changes.  There's a new offloading popup that can come up on the season change if you have enough activity in your world; it can take a little time in larger worlds, but that's all time that is no longer intermittent lag and it's also less time overall due to reduced redundancies.  If you have an autosave, the offload will be incorporated into that, so autosaves might seem slightly longer (if so, you are also getting the same lag reduction.)

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed crash from corrupted units
   (*) Made baron elevate to count properly
   (*) Removed intermittent lag from off-site conceptions and births (added seasonal unit offloading)
   (*) Made squad orders respect successful site conquest (so new members don't try to reconquer)

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Fixed broken display for multiple adventurer agreements
   (*) Show proper mission text for messengers instead of No Job
   (*) Made tantruming dwarves cancel activities
   (*) Controlled how market links are formed somewhat
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.44.12 Released
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 09:25:19 pm »

What's seasonal unit offloading? Is offloading just a fancy way of saying handling stuff that happens off-site? Or is it a process of abstracting units?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:29:48 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 11:26:30 pm »

Wow, thanks! You were really quick with fixing that crashing.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 12:01:39 am »

Now, while I haven't gone and installed the newest version (I don't think you made any changes on this front, given the changelog), but I'm still having dwarves not form a single friendship whatsoever. The starting 7 are friends, and that's it. At best, they have some passing acquaintances.

The fort is on its third year.
It's entirely possible that my fort may just be suffering from perpetual hauling syndrome- I set the pop cap at 50, but my dwarves are actually falling behind in hauling tasks. I think if everyone is literally spending every waking moment hauling stuff, they probably aren't making many friends. So it all could very well be on my end.
Even if dwarves are free, they seem to take a very long time building friendships. Playing in a 'normal' fortress (one without special friendship boxes or other techniques) I can see the level of 'passing acquaintance' is increasing between dwarves who spend a lot of free time together in the tavern but never seems to reach whatever the threshold is for becoming friends.

Not sure if that's because it's purposefully slow (needs a few more years), or if there are factors reducing it at the same time holding up progress.

How long is it supposed to (lore-wise) take for dwarves to go beyond acquaintance to 'friend' (without special techniques)?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 12:05:50 am »

What's seasonal unit offloading? Is offloading just a fancy way of saying handling stuff that happens off-site? Or is it a process of abstracting units?

Whenever it loads up a character from the larger world, it grabs them from those unit files it makes in world gen.  Then it resaves them later.  It was doing that pretty often, which was causing some bumps, at least for larger worlds.  Now it does it all during the season change.  This causes a larger memory footprint, but with 64 bits this shouldn't be so much of a concern.

Now, while I haven't gone and installed the newest version (I don't think you made any changes on this front, given the changelog), but I'm still having dwarves not form a single friendship whatsoever. The starting 7 are friends, and that's it. At best, they have some passing acquaintances.

No, it's probably not the hauling; there's still an issue here, though I'm told some specific strategies work (separating out some dwarves and giving them alone a tavern to socialize in, say.)  I'm formulating a plan, reading the relevant suggestions; it might not be for the villain release, but we'll do something before the Big Wait on this front.

Don't have the dwarf computer handy at the moment for the precise friend conditions; good for FotF while we plot a strategy?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2018, 03:29:36 am »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2018, 05:58:59 am »

No, it's probably not the hauling; there's still an issue here, though I'm told some specific strategies work (separating out some dwarves and giving them alone a tavern to socialize in, say.)  I'm formulating a plan, reading the relevant suggestions; it might not be for the villain release, but we'll do something before the Big Wait on this front.

I've been diving into it a little bit from different angles to look at it (room planning strategy & bug discussion) but 2 primary reasons im seeing it happening in my opinion is overfixation on activities/needs and x5 observing the dwarves own furniture or statue gardens for positive thoughts relating to need to view art but ignoring the dwarves standing next to you.

> So to get around this, you create a entirely empty tavern space (ideally under 40 tiles large for below 80 pop with 2 dwarves on each tile at max capacity) not touching doors or anything aesthetic like a engravings but this leads to the second problem.

Secondly, the dwarf civ values make dwarves non-tolerant of other dwarves (and strangers), and since dwarves aren't carbon copies of each other they react negatively and while they dont form grudges easily (probably from the low initial contact despite being forced to talk to each other with 'socialize' in the dressed down zone) only dwarves with compatible facets become friends or anything more, 100+ Metropolis population of dwarves I have, out of every 5-10 dwarves has 1 friend or a full list of passing aquaintences over 5 years the fort has been running almost constantly with them in the close proximity tavern, the first wave migrants might have 2 friends over the years but that's it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2018, 09:54:56 pm »

This was fast.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 06:55:46 pm »

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed crash from corrupted units

Great. DA:III (hyper active) world generation is running smoothly again in 44.12. Wondering if this fix is why.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:59:05 pm by GM-X »
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 02:17:06 pm »

Hey I didn't find anything and this either means the answer is no or I'm just blind.

Was the bug where squad members would get perma-stuck traveling to/from raid sites addressed?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 06:56:13 am »

"The hamlet of Trusshopped, a half day's travel to the southwest has been conquered and now looks to your thriving economy for it's future prosperity".

Wait, what? Conquered by whom? Certainly not me. We're still scrabbling around trying to build a tavern to keep out of the freaky weather.

Only options are 'raid', so it seems to be the same behavior as 44.11 but with a different message (site government hasn't change to a dwarf government).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 12:45:07 pm »

Yeah, I've stopped bandit gangs I think, but for legitimate site governments I've left it in.  Naturally, 'thriving' isn't tested here -- the game needs to point the market link somewhere.  It was invisibly pointing it at your starter fortresses even before this, way back when we added post wg site conquest.  I just need to get the messenger option up, and also leave the raid option.  I had that as an item for the last release but 'ran out of time' whatever that means.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2018, 04:07:46 pm »

Yeah, I've stopped bandit gangs I think, but for legitimate site governments I've left it in.  Naturally, 'thriving' isn't tested here -- the game needs to point the market link somewhere.  It was invisibly pointing it at your starter fortresses even before this, way back when we added post wg site conquest.  I just need to get the messenger option up, and also leave the raid option.  I had that as an item for the last release but 'ran out of time' whatever that means.
So the intention is to be able to send messengers and citizens to the new holdings, as well as be able to raid them?

Are goblin (and other hostile) civ sites and sites from civs you're at war with also supposed to join you, or was that removed along with the bandits?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 04:13:45 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 11:08:03 am »

"The hamlet of Trusshopped, a half day's travel to the southwest has been conquered and now looks to your thriving economy for it's future prosperity".
Just getting back since, maybe 44.03. Been busy.

Anyway, am I reading too much into it? Will you now see caravans from Trusshopped?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 04:08:36 pm »

Just getting back since, maybe 44.03. Been busy.

Anyway, am I reading too much into it? Will you now see caravans from Trusshopped?
I don't think it effects the caravans. If they were humans and I were dwarves (neither in my case, I'm playing a modded game) their civ would be sending me caravans anyway regardless of the link. We're not at war. I can demand a tribute from them probably, but that doesn't seem to be an automatic option of taking over/accepting an off-site holding.

If they were an enemy civ...probably not? Not sure if enemy civs are still connecting to you in 44.12. In vanilla they wouldn't, simply because goblins and kobolds don't have caravans.

Hmm. Can civs without caravans send tributes at all? Must Science.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4