Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: The Villain Arc hype thread!  (Read 17456 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: The Villain Arc hype thread!
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2018, 09:31:31 am »

This thread has missed the biggest bonus from this arc. Relationship improvements. We no longer need marriages to have kids! And if someone marries and the spouse dies, they'll go back out on the market and find a new one. This, right here, is the strongest point for this whole arc for anyone who does generational forts.

Well, we don’t know how this carries over to Dwarves (considering societal standards/values might affect this), or how much of this is getting into Fortress mode quite yet, so I wouldn’t get my hopes up too much. Especially since dwarves currently barely make friends (I believe it has with the TOLERATES_VALUES facet), and romance might still be based off friendship even after this update. The friendship bugs are due for fixing before the big wait though, so hopefully it’ll work before then.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2018, 09:38:30 am »

We no longer need marriages to have kids!

Thanks! I hate it

I was using ORIENTATION to prevent reproduction by preventing marriage, which I guess was always hackish, so now with children-out-of-wedlock I guess I need to figure out some other way.

Especially since dwarves currently barely make friends (I believe it has with the TOLERATES_VALUES facet)

Nope, straight-up bugs. Also, you're looking for TOLERANT, which dwarves are perfectly neutral on, same as humans in that regard.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2018, 09:40:27 am »

I presume it now has same check as with animals, so I speculate you could make them asexual (or gay, whichever you prefer).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2018, 09:46:37 am »

No can do. Species is pannormative.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2018, 01:11:59 pm »

We no longer need marriages to have kids!

Thanks! I hate it

I was using ORIENTATION to prevent reproduction by preventing marriage, which I guess was always hackish, so now with children-out-of-wedlock I guess I need to figure out some other way.

If I don’t misunderstand how the ORIENTATION token works (you use it to make all your dwarves gay, right?), them being able to have children-out-of-wedlock shouldn’t break anything. After all, it would be bugged behaviour if gay dwarves had straight affairs and sexual relationships in the first place.

Adequate Swimmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2018, 05:17:58 pm »

Wait did you just say an entire species can be collectively gay? What species in particular, and is it seals?
[VALUE:PEACE:0]

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2018, 07:24:49 pm »

I use it to make all of my modded creatures incapable marrying, like I said. They can take lovers of either sex.

Wait did you just say an entire species can be collectively gay? What species in particular, and is it seals?

Homestuck trolls, and while I find gay to be a highly useful umbrella term in many cases the relating to myself it's too non-specific in this one

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2018, 07:27:58 pm »

Could you just remove [MALE] and/or [FEMALE] tags from the relevant creatures? Or would that result in pronouns always being "it" etc?
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2018, 08:00:32 pm »

Yes, it would result in "it".

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2018, 08:19:52 pm »

Ah, darn. Maybe you could pester Toady to add a "willingness to reproduce" facet* in addition to the current willingness to form a relationship and willingness to have a marriage?

*Is facet the right term? There's a few different things that make up "personality" and I don't have them very straight.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2018, 09:07:00 pm »

Facets are PERSONALITY tokens, values are VALUE stuff in the entity.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2018, 12:40:19 am »

You can use the orientation tag to completely control your dwarves' love lives. The center value on that tag is willingness to even take a lover of that sex. Just set it to 0 for the opposite sex and you're good.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2018, 12:42:41 am »

Pretty sure the issue is that trolls should have relationships, but not reproduce normally because troll reproduction is naturally very strange.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2018, 01:05:17 am »

Pretty sure the issue is that trolls should have relationships, but not reproduce normally because troll reproduction is naturally very strange.
Normal trolls or night trolls?

Speaking of them, will night trolls be classified as villains? I'll ask a FOTF question.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2018, 01:43:47 am »

Normal trolls or night trolls?

Speaking of them, will night trolls be classified as villains? I'll ask a FOTF question.
Homestuck trolls, I believe. They have a whole reproduction system based around pails, robots, and a queen bee sort of entity.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7