Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112267 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #795 on: November 23, 2019, 06:03:32 pm »

Can we make a vampire.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 23, 2019, 06:08:23 pm »

Can we make a vampire.

Our undead sort of are already, except they don't feed on blood.

Perhaps that's the origin of vampire legends - puppets in areas where there were no necromancers (other than the creator) to observe or know about an anima connection, so the local folk legends morphed into them feeding on blood. And staking would knock out cores placed near the heart.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 23, 2019, 06:13:23 pm »

Possible

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 23, 2019, 07:48:14 pm »

Ok well I want to make a vampire and then teach it to act all posh so it can run the front desk at the museum or something but hey whatever, stretch goals.

Super eager for our new piecebird to report back.

What should we do until it reports back? Sample the local cuisine? Go fishing? What if it doesn't come back until tomorrow night?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 23, 2019, 08:07:00 pm »

We can go fishing, we could bring the fish back and feed their memories to our 3 phantoms

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #800 on: November 23, 2019, 11:03:41 pm »

It's night time, so it would probably be suspicious if we went snooping around.

I say we just get something to eat in our room (we can't eat but we don't want to make others suspicious) and go to bed. Have Piecewise wake us up if anybody comes or if we oversleep.

Or maybe just stay in bed pretending to sleep. We don't have to actually sleep, right? Do we feel better after doing so?

Would camping in the woods be suspicious? Could we pretend to be on a hunting trip? This will give us more freedom of movement and let us do things during the night. We could even hunt to feed our skeleghosts.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 24, 2019, 03:34:49 pm »

I say we just get something to eat in our room (we can't eat but we don't want to make others suspicious) and go to bed. Have Piecewise wake us up if anybody comes or if we oversleep.

Or maybe just stay in bed pretending to sleep. We don't have to actually sleep, right? Do we feel better after doing so?

Would camping in the woods be suspicious? Could we pretend to be on a hunting trip? This will give us more freedom of movement and let us do things during the night. We could even hunt to feed our skeleghosts.

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 24, 2019, 04:18:01 pm »

+1
+1

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #803 on: November 27, 2019, 12:30:44 pm »

+1
+1

You head downstairs and inquire at the desk about some food. It takes about 45 minute but a plate of grilled fish and vegetables, along with a cup of some very weak looking alcohol is presented to you, along with instructions to just leave the plate outside your room when you're done. You head back upstairs and set the uneaten food down on top of the bird corpses. You idly think that you'll need to find some way to get rid of it. You aren't hungry, but you're not sure if you could eat food. Would it just rot away inside you? This body doesn't seem to function like a normal corpse or a normal living body; injuries heal quickly,you don't rot, and you bleed but your heart doesn't beat and you don't need to breathe except for speaking. Simply put, you have no idea what eating that stuff would do.

You lay down in bed and stare at the ceiling. You don't have to sleep either. You don't get tired, at least not from remaining awake, but it is a useful way to kill time. You suppose you could just lay here, staring at the ceiling for eight hours. Not that it sounds like much fun. The smell of the food has completely pervaded the room at this point and your scavenged memories are telling you that it smells good.

You close your eyes think. Camping...would that be strange? This hunting trip thing seems to have gone over fine; no one seemed taken aback by the idea of someone hunting in the woods. But no...you can feel those memories rejecting the idea. Why go camp out in the woods when town is so close by? No reason for it. Can't shoot birds in the dark after all. Anyone sensible would shoot in the day and stay in town at night. At best you'd probably be considered an eccentric weirdo or antisocial, at worst....who knows. It would stand out, especially with the cover you've already got going as a researcher. You'd need a better reason; something that can explain why you need to be out there at night.  Something these backwater fishermen could understand and accept. Astronomy? It would explain wanting to be away from the town and its lights but...a thick canopy of trees makes that a bit unreasonable. Botanist chasing some moon flower that only bloomed at night? No, the locals would be suspicious because they never heard of it. Same with a naturalist and a nocturnal animal.

You scratch your head -it doesn't itch, its just a gesture left over from one of the devoured men- and sigh. Maybe a cover isn't the best idea. Maybe it would be better to do this all in total secrecy; sneak out at night and return before morning.  After all, "he was here all night" is a better cover than "He's some professor we've never met from a college we've never heard of out chasing some creature we don't think exists. Honest."

Piecewise rattles, awakening you from your thoughts. Its gotten quite late; near midnight maybe. Piecewise is still at the window but he's looking down at you. One finger is placed up against the glass, pointing out.  You sit up and peek out through the bottom corner of the window, towards where he's pointing. The street is almost totally dark, just one or two lights here and there, and utterly deserted. However, there is someone out on the street.  They're carrying a flashlight, sweeping it in front of them as they walk. Its a soldier, in full combat gear and uniform, and he's clearly patrolling down the street.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 28, 2019, 05:26:07 am »

Patrolling soldiers means sneaking out isn't a thing we can do now, lets just sit for a bit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 29, 2019, 01:46:51 pm »

Patrolling soldiers means sneaking out isn't a thing we can do now, lets just sit for a bit.

+1

Chillax until piecebird returns is probably wisest. Keep an eye on that soldier though, in case they've somehow got wind of you. Full combat gear seems a bit over the top for a routine patrol.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 29, 2019, 02:06:21 pm »

+1

Chillax until piecebird returns is probably wisest. Keep an eye on that soldier though, in case they've somehow got wind of you. Full combat gear seems a bit over the top for a routine patrol.
+1

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #807 on: December 01, 2019, 12:15:32 pm »

+1

+1
You watch the soldier pass, somewhat nervous that his presence means they're on to you somehow. But he doesn't stop at the inn or even look your way, he just trundles on in the darkness until all you can see is the distant glow of his flashlight sliding back and forth in the dark. You go and sit back down on the bed and this time you wait straight through till daylight, or at least the first weak glow of dawn. The bird returns before the sun actually rises and the streets are filled with people. It lands on the window ledge and taps three times before Piecewise opens the window without being asked. You immediately set the pen and paper in front of the bird and command it to draw you a map of the compound. It gets to work, rapidly jerking its head back and forth, slashing out lines on the paper with the same distressing precision as Piecewise. You sit on the edge of the bed and watch until its finished.

The resulting map shows a sprawling complex spread across a fairly large section of fenced off woods.  There seems to be a central section, probably the original main section judging by its compact design, and then a half dozen smaller buildings or clusters  spread out in a rough half moon sort of shape, apparently following the shape of the land. The buildings are of course unmarked but you can make a few guesses. A long road loop starts at one side of the half moon, follows its curve the entire way, and then turns back and reconnects to the road that lead to the base. There's a  building built right off the road, near the main complex, that you're guessing is where they keep the bodies. Or at least where the bodies along with other supplies are unloaded before being sent off to their individual destinations.  These buildings here along the fence are probably guard towers; There aren't too many of them, luckily. The bird marked people where it saw them, but not patrols or anything, just people marked like landmarks. You can make some guesses at patrol routes using those marks but its still just a guess.

You set the map down and consider the next move. You need more detailed intel about the exact workings of that base, what each building's purpose is and the nature of the security there. A guard like the one that pasted last night would likely have that info but eating him would be dangerous. A guard disappearing in a little town like this isn't like a patrol getting attacked in the city; its gonna draw attention in a big way.  Leaving him vanished isn't the way to do it either, that will only make them stay suspicious for longer. You'd need to kill him in a way that seems plausibly accidental and then have his body be found easily to enhance that assumption.  If his route crosses near the sea cliff you could just push him off...though getting down to him before the memories drain away would be tricky. Drown him in the ocean and then leave him on the shore? Maybe; but you'd have to get him out there.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 01, 2019, 02:34:54 pm »

Could we have a puppet absorb memories on our behalf? We could dash a patrolman on the rocks and then have featherwise fly down to eat their soul, mayhaps.

Then there's always "stab him first, eat memories, then dump him off the cliff and hope the coroner is incompetent." They'd probably notice, but hey you never know~

Otherwise, could just send the bird out again with directions to map their patrol routes. Wouldn't really help with figuring out what each building does, but it will come in handy eventually.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: December 02, 2019, 08:33:03 am »

No one in town can find out about our crimes if the isn't anyone in town.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 94