Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 94

Author Topic: The Left-Hand Path  (Read 112238 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: The Left-Hand Path
« Reply #825 on: December 09, 2019, 03:15:33 pm »

Question, if Birdwise is a puppet, he doesn’t need to eat, right?

Nah, no eating, but maybe we can give headpats. He is a good bird and should be told.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 09, 2019, 04:07:44 pm »

Yes

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 09, 2019, 04:40:49 pm »

Well, guess if we want to be horrible, we could murder one or more of the people who helped build the base for their memories of it. It wouldn't be subtle, but probably would not put The Powers That Be on guard like if we took out a patrol unless they both keep excellent records and are paranoid about necromancers.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 09, 2019, 04:45:25 pm »

Well, guess if we want to be horrible, we could murder one or more of the people who helped build the base for their memories of it. It wouldn't be subtle, but probably would not put The Powers That Be on guard like if we took out a patrol unless they both keep excellent records and are paranoid about necromancers.

I forgot about memory treats. I bet it ate the rat memories, now that i think about it.

It doesn't have to be a person. Everyone here is obsessed with slurping up people memories at the slightest provocation. We could be in line at the cafe and people here be like hey, I bet the person in front can see the menu better than I can. Let's eat their mind.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 09, 2019, 04:58:24 pm »

I think we should stick to plan Ratwise

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 10, 2019, 07:05:06 am »

Lets just stick to the plan for now.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #831 on: December 13, 2019, 01:20:00 pm »

None of these are actions. I'll assume that just means you want to animate rats.

You take the sack of rats and sit on the floor, laying the corpses out in a row. Birdwise has done a good job; most of the bodies are not obviously corpses, at least in so far that their cause of death is not evident. You discard two of the bodies: the first has no head which is a bit of a give away and the second has been gutted, which is another rather obvious sign that something is off. The rest have been killed in ways only obvious once you pick them up and examine them. You wash any blood off their fur and then consider what the best core for such creatures would be.  A nail is an obvious choice but also a clear indication of its status as a puppet. Considering the danger the base presents and their knowledge of necromancy, such an obvious ploy

You consider the usage of these creatures, their intended purpose. They aren't a long term investment, they're disposable spies. And spies tend to have methods of suicide in case they're caught.  You think the best would be a core that could be destroyed by the rat itself, to cover your tracks, and which isn't obvious as a core. You search around the room for something that would fit the bill. Nothing immediately springs to mind and you stand there, rubbing your chin in thought an staring into the distance at the wall. And as you stare, you notice something, the roof of the little room is bare wood and some of it a bit splintered with age. You reach up and grab a long, almost toothpick like sliver of wood.  You take the wood and embed it in the mouth of a rat, such that its sort of wedged into the gums. You then use it as the core and attempt to anime the corpse.

Everything goes to plan and the rat gets up. You make sure it works as a puppet and then command it to crush the splinter between its teeth. It does so easily and flops down, dead again. You nod to yourself. Everything is coming together. You repeat the process several times, animating corpses with splinters until you have 4 animate rat corpses. You're going to move on to the 5th but you realize you're having a hard time focusing. You feel like you're in a haze, not tired like when you ran out of mana but something else. You can think as clearly as before. It feels, according to the memories, something like being distracted and drunk at the same time.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 13, 2019, 01:36:28 pm »

Right, puppets are using up bandwidth. 4 should work well enough.
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 13, 2019, 01:49:08 pm »

+1, four it is. Let's just wait for the rats to go do their thing and report back. After that I guess we can leave town and give the info back to Esme.

We are bad at recommending actions and good at discussing minutiae.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 13, 2019, 07:42:15 pm »

Have Birdwise carry the four rats to the compound and have the rats enter the buildings and figure out what’s inside them

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 13, 2019, 09:39:20 pm »

Have Birdwise carry the four rats to the compound and have the rats enter the buildings and figure out what’s inside them

+1 to an actual action.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 14, 2019, 03:39:41 am »

+1 to an actual action.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 15, 2019, 05:20:39 pm »

+1 to an actual action.
+1

+1. Operation Ratbirdwise is a go.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #838 on: December 17, 2019, 11:42:04 am »

+1 to an actual action.
+1

+1. Operation Ratbirdwise is a go.
You again wait for darkness, going through the same routines with the woman downstairs, presenting a good public face. Once night has come and the streets are sufficiently empty, you begin. Birdwise isn't big enough to carry all four rats at a time so he has to go in trips, carrying one out into the woods and then returning for the next.

You're careful with your wording for the rats, making sure that each is ordered to sever its connection should anything happen. Beyond that, you order them to infiltrate different buildings and discover whats going on in each; with special consideration paid for things like guards, bodies, and any sort of experimentation. Once you think you have their programming pretty airtight, you send them off to investigate. They're prioritizing remaining unnoticed and are told to only explore during the night; hopefully when the intellectual necromancer researchers will be asleep and unable to notice the threads connecting the rats back to you. Because of their secrecy, you assume it may take a while longer for them to finish than birdwise. Maybe 2 or 3 days? They're supposed to make their way back to a meeting place in the woods when they're finished.

Once they're all gone, you let birdwise back in and check the time. Its just after 1 am, still plenty of night left if there were other sneaky things you wanted to do. No sign of the patrolling guard either, least not tonight.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 18, 2019, 12:07:04 pm »

I can't think of anything we need to be doing at night besides waiting for the rats to return.
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 94