Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Noita  (Read 49739 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noita
« Reply #225 on: January 20, 2021, 05:55:54 pm »

So, having downloaded the mod myself (great mod btw. Starting with a creative loadout makes the early game a lot less dull), I think I have figured out why the construction worker has the heavy gravity perk. According to statements by the creator, when a loadout is created, the perk comes first and the rest of the class is built around it. When the guy was making a class for the heavy gravity perk, I think he just decided to make it construction themed because of it's association with tall buildings and falling hazards (not that there's fall damage in this game).

I think one of the early versions of Noita had a similar thing built in as an example mod, which is why I immediately jumped on the full-fledged one that was made after... trying to get 'weak' builds off the ground taught me some interesting tricks. (Latest discovery? Burst of air's interaction with fire.)

Working backwards from the perk explains a lot, and kind of forces a bit of variety... though I suppose that makes some, like the construction worker, feel forced.

It's also a pretty good framework for making your own starting loadouts with a minimum of fuss since the file structure's already built up. One of my favorite homebrew setups is starting with Tinker Anywhere, a wand with very strong specs, and three no-cast toolboxes filled with 100% random spells... and the self-imposed restriction that you can only use the spells you started with for the entire run.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2021, 04:01:21 am »

My latest discovery is how I can apparently make an OHKO cannon out of a hollow egg and a quad fan of plasma cutters, flung by an air burst.

Kind of blew up the boss in The Laboratory with one solid hit. Was my first run good enough to get there, and I didn't have any orbs on me so it was probably the weakest version. But still. The fight was kind of anticlimactic after all the fanfare with the lavafalls and everything. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2021, 12:05:28 pm »

plasma cutters

Did you mean "Luminous Drill" or is there actually a spell called "Plasma cutter"? If the former, then I'm surprised your method worked since drill's don't do that much damage individually. Their DPS is reliant on their negative modifiers to cast delay and recharge time, allowing them to be cast very rapidly like your typical machinegun wand. I would have expected a hollow egg with quad drills to simply deal 40 damage and disappear.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2021, 12:35:52 pm »

No, plasma cutters. They're like short plasma beams, new spell in the beta. Think the Barrier spells, but less deadly and you can put it at any angle. Curiously, they work better than actual plasma beams because they don't modify the cast delay, which lets the follow-up air burst launch the egg properly.

They're normally DOT, they are listed as dealing 20 damage, and you can burn yourself quite a bit if you hit yourself with one. Apparently something in the way they work means that four of them spawning inside the target immediately deals enough damage to pulverize a Stevari or the no-orb version of the final boss.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 12:38:59 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 01, 2021, 05:55:48 pm »

Thought I would share a YASD.

I got this wand, with 7 slots in it. I gave it this loadout:

Electric arc -> Add mana -> triple-scatter-> Triplicate bolt -> Triplicate bolt

And as a result I got this devastating boom-stick that shredded everything. Electric arc is no joke!

I completely destroyed the ice caves with this wand alongside the help of a rapid-fire spark-bolt wand for distant targets.

I ended up looting a wand with a +Damage modifier (great for the boomstick). And in a shop, I found a "Library wand" filled with a bunch of random and awesome spells. Stuff like homing projectiles, concentrated light etc.

Point is, I had a lot of tools to experiment with. I was testing wand combos in the holy mountain for at least 10 minutes and I had so many spells that I had to throw some on the floor. I accidentally throw one of my spells into the fish tank, so I dive in to grab it.

ZAP!

I died from electrocution! It turns out that if your wand has an electricity spell, it acts like a thunderstone and electrocutes the water your in! All that experimentation and I never even got to test the wand out in the field.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 01, 2021, 06:08:48 pm »

Eyup! It's even got a little sparky animation to the wand, iirc. Don't recall if there's other wands with similar effects, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 01, 2021, 07:16:10 pm »

The acid ball spell creates a constant stream of flammable gas, and I think a lot of fire spells create a constant flame.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 01, 2021, 08:01:42 pm »

orbiting nukes.

Dear God! I didn't know there was a spell modifier that created nukes!

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 01, 2021, 08:58:39 pm »

orbiting nukes.

I'm pretty sure that 'Nuke' is actually a vanilla spell. The icon looks like a little missile and has... 1? use. For obvious reasons, don't use it without Explosion Immunity.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 01, 2021, 09:10:52 pm »

There's also a preset always cast nuke somewhere...
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 01, 2021, 11:10:36 pm »

orbiting nukes.

I'm pretty sure that 'Nuke' is actually a vanilla spell. The icon looks like a little missile and has... 1? use. For obvious reasons, don't use it without Explosion Immunity.

I know 'Nuke' is a vanilla spell. I even used it once...

It's just that from what I understand, Naxza had a modded shuffle wand that applied a random modifier every time a spell was cast. I assume it only took from the pool of modifiers, but vanilla nuke is a projectile. There would have to be some sort of nuke-like modifier and I'm not sure if that is vanilla.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 02, 2021, 12:34:20 am »

No, it's vanilla. It's on the wiki.

https://noita.gamepedia.com/Spells_To_Nukes

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 02, 2021, 01:01:31 am »

That's not a modifier. That's a utility spell. Modifier's augment projectiles as you fire them, like Homing shot, or Flame trail, orbiting path, etc.

What that spell does is something like this:

First you fire off a bunch of projectiles from a regular wand. Let's say bubble sparks. They linger in the air. Next you cast this spell separately by either switching to another wand with "Spells to Nukes" or because "Spells to Nukes" was the next spell in your wand's queue. Upon doing this, every projectile within range is abruptly transformed into a nuke. Fallout 5 Ensues.

Assuming Naxza didn't mispeak-

In modding-land, I got a wackier shuffle wand (applies any random spell modifier to projectiles and de-shuffles them) and subsequently turned my sawblade-headed triplicate bolts into green death harbingers delivering orbiting nukes.

I did not survive this discovery.

-"Spell's to nukes" is not the spell involved in this situation since the post implies that a spell modifier was the culprit, of which "Spells to nukes" is not.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 01, 2021, 02:13:03 am »

The third level forward is such a frustrating difficulty spike.  Twice as many enemies, and they all have guns you cannot dodge.  I'll round a corner and just get shot immediately and half my health is gone.  Jumping to dodge doesn't help when every instance of damage stuns you.  The perk to slow projectiles ruins half the spells you can find and barely effects bullets at all.

Literally the only success is when I randomly find a wand that one-shots them before they cheese me back, and even so survival is barely possible.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Sime

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 01, 2021, 04:39:04 am »

yeah, the difficulty spike isn't ideal, for it forces a sudden stealth strategy onto players that can restrict play-styles and wizard builds.     Presumably the devs prioritised the development of the physics engine, with the view that the modders would complete the actual game design, as is so often the case with the games  developed nowadays.    Noita's levels  suck  in terms of creativity, variety and fairness when compared to nineties Amiga platform games.   And there isn't even a  half-decent soundtrack.   It''s a nice platform game engine with endless possibilities, now we just need a decent game with some music to go with it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20