Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: Oldlands: Age of Dwarves  (Read 32084 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oldlands: Age of Civilization
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2019, 11:23:36 am »

Wait, are quote pyramids fine or not?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2019, 12:43:43 pm »

East
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2019, 02:04:08 am »

East
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2019, 10:05:04 am »

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
In 34, under Zefon's leadership, the newly-formed clan prospered. The dwarves dug more of the gold, and built workshops to make the finest crafts their species was to become famous of. The increased wealth, in turn, attracted more families to settle in the area.

In 35, Momuz and Rith objected to Zefon's orders to dig deeper and opted instead to carve the settlement's Great Hall closer to the surface. The clan, they argued, cannot survive on gold alone; it needs more mundane resources such as copper and tin found in the upper layers. Having seen the lake on the surface, they correctly guessed it connected to the submerged cave behind Zefon's floodgates. That water had fish and delicious turtles.

In 36, many shell crafts were made. A gold statue was added to the Hall, and additional dwellings carved out for new migrants. There were five subclans now, and some of them chose to retain their own leaders, which led to grudges and conflict. Still, everyone understood the need to stick together, and there was ever so much work.

The Tritons, meanwhile, expanded and multiplied. They founded a river colony, dedicated to food production, and broodmother Gloomf set her eyes upon the yellow metal. It was unsuitable for tools, it lacked (in the Tritons' eyes) the beauty of coral and pearl, yet there was a certain mystery to it. She discovered that gold could be used to fashion foci for her psychic powers, which helped her sense what lay beyond.

In the fall of 36, the Chamber of Divination was complete, and Gloomf stepped inside to project her mind westward. And she saw it: the Revelation! The chamber that held this world's secrets, watched over by an ancient Eye. And there were alien beings, ugly and scary, digging the gold and coming ever closer to it!

As Gloomf stepped out of the chamber, her servants stood awestruck at the sight. Her scales, formerly blue-green like the spore tree that gave the brood its name, had taken on the color of gold.
"Gather all tunneler-caste", she barked. "And send for my warrior brothers."

It is the spring of 37.
The Cave of Fate houses Maar's Eye, biomechanical being left by the Creator to monitor the world. Right now, two species are about to find this cave and the secrets within. Whoever does it first will (probably) learn the cosmological truths that they were not meant to know.

No choice is offered this time, since I have a pretty clear idea of what happens next, and I want to first write out an encounter elsewhere in the tunnels.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2019, 10:38:59 am »

Makes sense. This will be interesting

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2019, 11:14:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"Ronenog and Us"
This is a collection of notes dated year 37 of the First Dwarven Era. It contains accounts of a mining foredwarf named Ingish "Roofcoal" Cilobrîsen about his work for the dwarven settlement Asteshdatan, "Cudgelirons" in the summer of 37.

27 Felsite
Business has been good lately. With all the craft production, there's great demand for warehouses and extra workshop space, and Mayor Zefon just caved to the brewer guild's recent petition for expanding the Great Hall. We're in the right place at the right time to give them what they want—and get paid at a premium.

8 Hematite
I didn't know this storage would be used for musical instruments. Guess the guild really plans ahead. Next up is a new shaft, right past the river. Going to take some precautions, it'll take longer but we play safe.

28 Hematite
Just got word from the other brigade. Upper rooms are done and they're moving in to help us.
-further writing garbled-

1 Malachite
Damn! They ran into something up there. Some kind of fish-things with spears; Lorbam's boys got ambushed and lost half of their crew before organizing a defense. They managed to seal the passage now, we just need to hold out until militia arrives.

2 Malachite
One of the surviving miners took to examine the dead fish-things. Said he used to work in a butchery, so maybe figure out where to hit best. Told him it's fine as long as he doesn't try to make dinner out of that.
-further writing soaked in water-

11 Galena
Looks like it's war. The militia took over and beat them back, then decided to foray into their territory. We found remains of a gold mine, which I'm sure sits on the same large vein we've been excavating all these years.

14 Galena
Damned frogs always know where we're coming from. I think we should just crash this whole cave to seal us apart, but who's going to listen? "It's our gold they're digging", they say, "We must fight for it."

There was potential for a peaceful encounter, but Dwarven greed and Tritons' blind xenophobia won out in the end. War broke out after the initial skirmish, and lasted until the end of the next year. Though evenly matched in numbers, and being stronger individually, Dwarves managed to lose a lot of ground as their amphibious enemies used the river to move about and strike at undefended points, relying on the psychic powers of the Triton queen to avoid direct confrontation.

Since this time, Tritons came to be known in Dwarven legends as Ronenog, "berserker frogs". This is also the last time they do come up in legends. After the war, they just... disappeared. All of their warriors and priests were gone, along with their queen. Only the tadpoles swam in the pools—they will grow without guidance and become like beasts of the wild.

The few surviving dwarves were too busy to try and figure this out; they had a civilization to rebuild. And though they didn't know it yet, they had a new competitor.
Spoiler: Aftermath (click to show/hide)
Choose where the goblins will start: point A, B or C.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:30:59 am by Murphy »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2019, 11:18:57 am »

A obviously. B is for the clowns.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2019, 11:20:29 am »

Sad  :(

C is farthest from the few remaining dwarves. I'd like to give them a bit of recovery time.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 11:49:58 am by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2019, 11:32:48 am »

C
I guess I underestimated dwarves propensity for violence

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2019, 11:37:09 am »

C is farthest from the few remaining dwarves. I'd like to give them a bit of recovery time.

That isn't quite true. They goblins could just dig into the tunnels the old ones used and head straight to the dwraves. At least A means they will likely end up facing monsters. Or flooding. Or they could just dig down.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2019, 11:48:09 am »

A because the Tritons need it more.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2019, 11:50:03 am »

A because the Tritons need it more.
I’m worried the goblins would kill the ones that are left

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2019, 11:50:12 am »

Hmm.

A

klonk
Sigtext

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2019, 12:11:32 pm »

Don't be sad. If you study the maps carefully, you can see why the Tritons didn't want to risk fighting any longer.

Anyway, A

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2019, 12:26:43 pm »

I'm... not sure what you're referring to. Because the Tritons struck that special chamber thing, or what?

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25