Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421461 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2020, 08:23:50 pm »

Nobody's mentioned Vir Bio's mAbs to the spike protein yet, I see.

Hey boss, a link would have been appreciated.

This is a nice one, actually. I've never heard of Vir Bio, but I think looking at effective SARS responses (since SARS was also a coronavirus) is a reasonable approach. Here's hoping this turns out to be one of the cures.

China is now counting clinically diagnosed cases in its numbers now vs laboratory confirmed
As a result: 14,840 new cases, 242 deaths today in Hubei
Yesterday was 1,638 cases, 94 deaths

I read an article yesterday about how they were very reluctant to release these numbers in the face of wide-spread panic already. As I see it - it's more proof of being widely infectious, but additional proof of it being not exceptionally deadly. This really lowers the lethality numbers.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2020, 02:16:44 am »

TBH I don't know to what extent I find it acceptable to switch from lab to clinical diagnosis. I mean you're gaining sensitivity but sacrificing specificity.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 13, 2020, 02:55:34 am »

Lung CT graph can be used to reliably identify the disease so far. One of the reasons that only lab result was recognized is that the local authority was able to downplay the situation by limiting the number of available test kits.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2020, 03:08:11 am »

Lung CT graph can be used to reliably identify the disease so far. One of the reasons that only lab result was recognized is that the local authority was able to downplay the situation by limiting the number of available test kits.
As a rule of thumb, radiology imaging can give you a clue, but it does not establish firm diagnoses by itself (In medical pathology that is).

Going to the source paper...
https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/pdf/10.1148/radiol.2020200274

Patients with fever and/or cough and with conspicuous ground glass opacity lesions in the peripheral and posterior lungs...
That's far from specific.

In fact they say as much in the paper
In conclusion, the most common patterns of 2019-nCoV pneumonia on thin-section CT images
are pure GGO, GGO with reticular and/or interlobular septal thickening, GGO with consolidation,
and consolidation, with prominent distribution in the posterior and peripheral part of the lungs.
Consolidation lesions could be served as a marker of disease progression or more severe disease.
Though the positive nucleic acid testing is the diagnostic golden standard, patients with fever and/or
cough and with GGO prominent lesions in the peripheral and posterior part of lungs on CT images,
combined with normal or decreased white blood cells and a history of epidemical exposure, should
be highly suspected of the 2019-nCoV pneumonia.

I kind of find it conceptually bothersome to use radiology in place of a firm lab diagnosis.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:11:12 am by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2020, 05:15:30 am »

Won't that change result in an increased amount of false positives?
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2020, 05:27:24 am »

Potentially, yes. Cynically, it could be used to decrease the proportional lethality of the virus. Otherwise, it might be in response to all the conspiracies about "withholding numbers".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 13, 2020, 06:06:59 am »

So basically. They just in practice deemed every case of lung inflammation a Corona case? ;)
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 13, 2020, 06:39:39 am »

Like every visitor to my college dorm - they brought a case of Corona that no one asked for.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 13, 2020, 06:40:20 am »

Like every visitor to my college dorm - they brought a case of Corona that no one asked for.
https://youtu.be/mynHaZ92E7s

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 13, 2020, 08:18:10 am »

Nobody's mentioned Vir Bio's mAbs to the spike protein yet, I see.

I'm not sure more than half of those things are real words.

In conclusion, the most common patterns of 2019-nCoV pneumonia on thin-section CT images
are pure GGO, GGO with reticular and/or interlobular septal thickening, GGO with consolidation,
and consolidation, with prominent distribution in the posterior and peripheral part of the lungs.
Consolidation lesions could be served as a marker of disease progression or more severe disease.
Though the positive nucleic acid testing is the diagnostic golden standard, patients with fever and/or
cough and with GGO prominent lesions in the peripheral and posterior part of lungs on CT images,
combined with normal or decreased white blood cells and a history of epidemical exposure, should
be highly suspected of the 2019-nCoV pneumonia.

I kind of find it conceptually bothersome to use radiology in place of a firm lab diagnosis.

I'm sure it's fine, as long as no other illness, genetic abnormality, or environmental conditions can cause or contribute to "lungs look funny."

Won't that change result in an increased amount of false positives?

False positives, and false negatives, probably. It's better than a guess, but you'd want to follow up with a more sure method, at which point you can just skip the less effective method of detection (unless it is faster by several days, which it might be).

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 13, 2020, 08:42:10 am »

First death in Japan: 80 yr old woman. Unknown how she got infected
3 other cases of unknown infection in 3 other prefectures

Japan has a really large elderly population, which does not bode well
They also have the Olympics to think about
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 13, 2020, 09:07:46 am »

First death in Japan: 80 yr old woman. Unknown how she got infected

My bet: wild sex during secret affair with Xi Jingping

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 13, 2020, 09:13:47 am »

China is now mailing an express Coronavirus sponsored by Tencent package to you as we speak
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 13, 2020, 09:21:03 am »

China is now mailing an express Coronavirus sponsored by Tencent package to you as we speak
How lucky! I hear there's even a 0.01% chance of you getting a vintage SARS instead in the lootbox viralcrate!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 13, 2020, 10:09:31 am »

Shit. I knew I shouldn't have signed up for those Epic freebies.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 459