Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 422123 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #420 on: February 29, 2020, 10:12:29 pm »

Data appears to suggest that COVID-19 is ridiculously deadly in the 75+ age group as well as being skewed towards age overall when causing deaths and/or hospitalization. If there's a factor that is also making it spread powerfully in environments like nursing homes, the death toll could skyrocket. Particularly given how useless the US healthcare system is, not that there's an active treatment for COVID-19.

Unless you're 100% sure you have the actual coronavirus, please keep coming in to work and don't see a doctor. Otherwise it may impact your premiums.
Too rational. You're looking for "you have to come into work, but you are prohibited from working when sick, but you need a signed and certified doctor's note if you are sick, but you need to distinguish between 'sitting sick' in which case we need you to work from home or 'laying sick' in which case we need you to take full PTO until you return and also if you miss three continuous days you're automatically terminated regardless due your pattern of irresponsibility, and also only the HR Veep in the corporate office on the other side of the country is allowed to override any aspect of any of these policies. Also we're raising your premium no matter what happens due to projected changes in healthcare claims caused by the virus."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 29, 2020, 10:16:47 pm »

You're right that what you outlined is not rational.

If people are that easily replaced, then they should part-time everyone and bring more people on board to start with so that they have more flexibility. The problem is that in a large corporation, all the people in a position to make such decisions just don't care and they're petty spiteful people who enjoy that they can cause misery by merely following along with a procedure manual, since it's someone else's money they're actually wasting.

Where I work, I do need a medical certificate, but that's only if I'm claiming a paid sick day out of my yearly allowance of paid days off. I can take unpaid days off all I want. Asking for medical certificates for unpaid days off is just frankly imbecilic. It's an unnecessary cost to every party involved. And also, it should be illegal since it overburdens the medical system.

If they're bullying the existing people to maintain their shifts no matter what, when there are clearly other people available to do the work, as they are threatening, that's sheer laziness and spitefulness on part of the lower management, not anything to do with locked in stone company policy or profitability. Yes, they could find people to cover your work when you're out for a few days, and that would massively boost overall efficiency if things ran like that, but they just don't want to do any work. And then they'll make it about you not wanting to working.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 10:28:02 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 01, 2020, 01:33:35 pm »

Premise: Children don't spread the disease as much and turn ill more

Conspiracy Theory: It almost seems like the disease was engineered to affect the adult demographic of a population. Now why would China *ever* want to make such a virus...
Love, scriver~

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 01, 2020, 02:49:41 pm »

Any news on if it’s getting faster or slower or both or neither or no-one knows?

A School in Dublin’s been closed after someone got sick with the virus, so that’s fun.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 01, 2020, 03:00:01 pm »

The best answer is no-one knows. The data showed a slowdown, but that data is corrupted by a large number of clinical diagnoses as well as a demonstrated global shortfall in tracking the number of infected. Large groups of people who weren't noticed before are being found regularly, and the similarity to influenza doesn't help matters at all.

What is known is that the R0 (average number of people each infected person infects) is somewhere between 2 and 4, which is consistent with SARS and MERS as well as being pretty bad for a disease this lethal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 02, 2020, 04:38:21 am »

Ii is indeed in Ireland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4k_OEW02cb4

I’m not confident that our healthcare system is robust enough to deal with this.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 02, 2020, 09:23:08 am »

Employers are just going to reap what they sow.

No they won't.

Those profit margins directly affect our ability to mitigate that suffering, you know.

If that's the case, the system is seriously flawed.

Anyway, sounds like the US had their first confirmed coronavirus death.

IF it's the case? Isn't the US the country who created their own, much more expensive (thousands of dollars) and also ineffective, test for coronavirus even though one that worked already exists? I'd say that best case scenario is profits got in the way of lives. Intentional sabotage also seems somewhat likely.

Data appears to suggest that COVID-19 is ridiculously deadly in the 75+ age group as well as being skewed towards age overall when causing deaths and/or hospitalization. If there's a factor that is also making it spread powerfully in environments like nursing homes, the death toll could skyrocket. Particularly given how useless the US healthcare system is, not that there's an active treatment for COVID-19.

Unless you're 100% sure you have the actual coronavirus, please keep coming in to work and don't see a doctor. Otherwise it may impact your premiums.
Too rational. You're looking for "you have to come into work, but you are prohibited from working when sick, but you need a signed and certified doctor's note if you are sick, but you need to distinguish between 'sitting sick' in which case we need you to work from home or 'laying sick' in which case we need you to take full PTO until you return and also if you miss three continuous days you're automatically terminated regardless due your pattern of irresponsibility, and also only the HR Veep in the corporate office on the other side of the country is allowed to override any aspect of any of these policies. Also we're raising your premium no matter what happens due to projected changes in healthcare claims caused by the virus."

Easier just to fire people for getting sick, and make the ever-fewer employees cover for them with unpaid overtime. That'll show 'em.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 02, 2020, 10:29:16 am »

(report magnet removed)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 02, 2020, 01:36:29 pm »

They’ll be dead by the time you are one of them old people.  So sure, the world will change with you.

So I heard hospitals are charging over 3k per Covid19 test.
Yea, I ain’t paying that premium.  Let the plague come.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: March 02, 2020, 01:41:00 pm »

Virus has reached Manhattan. Probably not long before it hits Long Island where I am. If I get sick from it, I'd doubt I'd be able to take off work for it, given how much of a joke my bosses and coworkers are treating it as.

But here's some Last Week Tonight about it.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 02, 2020, 01:57:09 pm »

Maybe, just maybe, you should not blanket blame whole swathes of the population  for your very own and very personal problems. And you should certainly not expect to be particularily sympathethic when you wish human miseries (mild as they might be, because regardless of the fearmongering in the last few pages this is still not as big a deal as it's being made up to be) on whole swathes of the population.

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: March 02, 2020, 02:04:22 pm »

It does sound rather bad when you phrase it like that

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #432 on: March 02, 2020, 05:45:28 pm »

Removed some posts.  Please try to stay focused.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 02, 2020, 06:43:23 pm »

They’ll be dead by the time you are one of them old people.  So sure, the world will change with you.

So I heard hospitals are charging over 3k per Covid19 test.
Yea, I ain’t paying that premium.  Let the plague come.
Apparently someone put under mandatory quarantine in the US got served a 2k plus bill, too. Nevermind the premium, even just going to the hospital or coming in from out of country might get you nailed.

In other news, at least two confirmed cases in florida now that the CDC has loosened who gets tested. Shit's coast to coast now, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 02, 2020, 07:10:02 pm »

Next is mandatory testing, at the consumer's expense. Some hospital administrators must be rolling their hands in glee at this.

I wouldn't be very surprised if Americans en-masse pretend not to have the coronavirus because the private medical system is so broken, thus ensuring just about the worst outbreak anywhere when it actually hits, and this then propels Sanders to the White House in November.

One of the problems is the testing criteria in the USA. You have to be pretty much at death's door before they'll even test for coronavirus, so you get guys who were tested for coronavirus on friday, drop dead by sunday, having already spread it to god knows how many people.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 07:17:59 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 459