Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423931 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: SARS Harder
« Reply #540 on: March 06, 2020, 11:43:46 pm »

meanwhile his aides are smacking themselves in their faces with their palms.
Ironically causing the number of infections to go up yet again...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 07, 2020, 01:28:13 am »

So glad I'm not in the US right now.  :P

For a more cynical but fairly balanced review of reinfection (focusing mainly on the case reported in Japan)
https://www.wired.com/story/did-a-woman-get-coronavirus-twice-scientists-are-skeptical/

While it is too early to tell for sure (hence prediction) reports like these leave open the possibility that something is going on.  Sure no guarantee but this is the novel route anyway: what is more prevalent is that reinfection happens either once the antibodies to the current strain of the virus have dissipated - I'm not aware that we have any real knowledge of the time period for covid19 - or when the virus mutates, which they do virulently (pun intended) in general  - darwinian rules willing - but once again I am not aware the we have any real knowledge yet of how prone this particular strain is to mutation just that it is a feature common to viruses.

But it is definitely worth balancing the prevalent view that, she'll be right mate, I'll just hole up with some Campbell's chicken noodle and my chosen Belgian for a week or two and it will all blow over.  Even with reinfection not occuring several waves of infection can be expected in any given geographical area as people who missed it the first time around get a second chance at the lottery as the virus returns from the outside.

And no I don't think that this is fear mongering but just a healthy dose of realism.  The truth being the best medicine.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 07, 2020, 10:06:26 am »

8 days have passed since our first confirmed infection in the Netherlands.
Today the count is up to 188.
103 of those contracted the virus in Italy during ski holidays, 9 came back infected from other countries, 47 were infected locally through a diagnosed patient and for 29 patients it is yet unknown how and where they contracted the virus.
So far only 1 patient died, a 86 year old man.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 07, 2020, 10:11:53 am »

See, that's another thing. Why the hell are there so many cases without an observed vector? We've had a few cases in rural towns where the patient had never left the US and who doesn't know anybody who has, in addition to the isolation of rural living. It's doing me a concern that this can spread by some means we're not aware of.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 07, 2020, 10:15:58 am »

It’s possible that people from Cities are leaving for rural areas, taking Covid with them. Beyond that, I couldn’t think of any reason it would do that. And as a rural dweller that’s not a good thing to hear.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 07, 2020, 10:20:06 am »

See, that's another thing. Why the hell are there so many cases without an observed vector? We've had a few cases in rural towns where the patient had never left the US and who doesn't know anybody who has, in addition to the isolation of rural living. It's doing me a concern that this can spread by some means we're not aware of.
I mean, we're not fucking testing people, dude. There's no observed vector in a lot of cases because we're not so much dropping the ball as spiking it straight into the fucking dirt.

Beyond that this shit doesn't need an unaware means of spread, the damn thing has basically everything a virus could want to spread with short of like tiny fucking jetpacks and GPS assist or some shit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 07, 2020, 10:47:18 am »

The lack of observed vector would be far more likely to be what Frumple says, lack of testing, than some unknown means of transmission.
Even here, where everyone has healthcare insurance and testing is free, barely any testing has been done.
Official advise of the authorities so far has been to only come in for testing if you have symptoms AND also have been in an infected country, like Italy or China.
Which is understandable, since it's flu season, and everyone with a flu coming in for testing would seriously overtax the healthcare systems.
This will probably change though now that infection is spreading locally.

EDIT: haha. A GP put up a sign in his practice.
"To combat corona virus, eat 5 raw cloves of garlic every day.
It doesn't do jack shit against the virus, but it will keep everyone at a safe distance"
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 11:18:45 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 07, 2020, 02:33:34 pm »

Hope everybody's ready to get cave adaptation.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 07, 2020, 02:49:34 pm »

8 days have passed since our first confirmed infection in the Netherlands.
Today the count is up to 188.
103 of those contracted the virus in Italy during ski holidays, 9 came back infected from other countries, 47 were infected locally through a diagnosed patient and for 29 patients it is yet unknown how and where they contracted the virus.
So far only 1 patient died, a 86 year old man.

I guess it is way too early to tell which strain of the virus they have?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-scientists-identify-more-aggressive-coronavirus-strain-094957265.html

Those who like their truth more massaged might prefer the UK version.  ;)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2020/03/04/coronavirus-has-mutated-aggressive-disease-say-scientists/

I'm sure the US can wheel out their own bevy of professors to reiterate the message of the Leader of the Free World - 'nothing to see here, move right along...'

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 07, 2020, 04:06:07 pm »

The US is up to 400 confirmed cases of Corona Virus, and 19 deaths.
That's roughly 5% mortality rate, which is significantly higher than we were expecting. I'm assuming this is because we're not testing people until they get really sick, resulting in a lot of infected people walking around with few or no symptoms.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 07, 2020, 04:18:29 pm »

More likely because the debut was at nursing homes. Which have people who are both older and with comorbidities, which are more likely to have a bad outcome.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 07, 2020, 04:20:49 pm »

It’s probably a mixture of both.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 07, 2020, 04:26:14 pm »

More likely because the debut was at nursing homes. Which have people who are both older and with comorbidities, which are more likely to have a bad outcome.
It seems like this won't be an outlier, though - the nursing home pattern has also happened in Canada and Korea, as well as multiple times in the US.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 07, 2020, 05:40:19 pm »

The real numbers would be hard to say. It had to get to the nursing homes via someone else, and nobody's worked out who that was from what I've heard. So whoever brought it in is among the uncounted. Also there are a lot of those "two guys at Facebook have it" without much context on how those guys even have it.

So the number of low infected people is unknown, but if you trust the 19 deaths statistic, it would be around 800 people. However there have been maybe 20,000 influenza deaths this season, so it's quite possible dozens of extra coronavirus deaths are hidden in that data too. Remember people were making that point about the Chinese deaths. So how much more likely is it to be true in America where you hardly test anyone?

Also, recent news is that an Australian doctor brought Coronavirus back from overseas to Melbourne then treated patients here. He'd been to the USA. So you got random carriers infecting people and exporting it now.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 05:42:43 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 459