Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421460 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1035 on: March 16, 2020, 01:32:54 pm »

Our government cancelled the closing of coffeeshops. It lasted 1 day.
They probably didn't realize yesterday that about 1 in 12 people over here smoke weed everyday and came to their senses after seeing the massive queues yesterday evening of people stocking up on weed.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: March 16, 2020, 01:36:59 pm »

Local supermarkets are getting cleared out it seems. My main concern is that it's going to be hard to get fresh food for my tortoise more so than food for the humans in the house.

Honestly?  The produce section was kinda untouched.  I get that produce is fairly perishable, but I feel like this says something about society.
Blanch and freeze. Then it can lasts months.

But I think barely anyone ever does that here these days. Storage capacity is a limitation. It's more dry goods, root vegetables, and tin cans.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: March 16, 2020, 01:47:44 pm »

The shops here have been running out of things due to hysterical hoarding, but I have a relative in this city who works at a grocery store and can buy things before the store opens. So, yay for corruption, I guess.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: March 16, 2020, 01:52:04 pm »

The shops here have been running out of things due to hysterical hoarding, but I have a relative in this city who works at a grocery store and can buy things before the store opens. So, yay for corruption, I guess.

The obvious downside is they have to work at a grocery during this
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: March 16, 2020, 01:55:40 pm »

I got a bag full of fresh veggies from my neighbor.
He works as a cook in a restaurant, they took the perishable stocks home so they won't go to waste over the 3 week shutdown.
I'll guess I'll be making healthy soups and loading my freezer with those.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: March 16, 2020, 01:58:37 pm »

That's when you start ordering groceries online. How to handle the actual delivery in a time of social panic, though, is another question. Not just how to avoid infection, but how to avoid theft as well.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: March 16, 2020, 02:00:31 pm »

Good to know. Though social isolation is actually beginning to get to me. And the UK's approach of "Bring out yer Dead" doesn't support it atm.
I was appalled when I heard. I really hope people isolate nonetheless and that govt policy changes. It could get really bad
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: March 16, 2020, 02:02:50 pm »

That's when you start ordering groceries online. How to handle the actual delivery in a time of social panic, though, is another question. Not just how to avoid infection, but how to avoid theft as well.
Most online grocery delivery firms over here simply cannot keep up with demand.
Their virtual shelves empty way faster than the supermarkets' shelves.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: March 16, 2020, 02:10:03 pm »

I wanted to share this

https://corrierefiorentino.corriere.it/firenze/notizie/cronaca/20_marzo_15/dobbiamo-cambiare-rotta-ef23a500-669a-11ea-a40a-86d505f82a96.shtml?refresh_ce-cp&fbclid=IwAR2cqq7C46QM1o4mwSGPFImOzcIc7spd-LoDZMs9MKD0Ft5Xt-BB3b6TWD8

Basically, they did a study in an Italian town, Vo.  They found that 50 to 70% of the population were asymptomatic or oligosymtomatic  carriers of coronavirus. Then they enforced even stricter isolation on these and infections fell from 88 to 7

So the takehome message if this is true:
- reinforces the situation with the virus. On an individual basis danger is low. But it destroys societies and healthcare systems.

- the covid19 cases we see are the tip of the iceberg. We're surrounded by thousands of superspreaders.

- social isolation works. It works better if you do it early before it infiltrates your society. But even late you can turn the tabs on covid19 if you act decisively.

Addenum:  Macron admitted on french TV thst there might be thousands of asymptomatic superspreaders. So he's stepping up the lockdpwn

But the letter in the italian newspaper was published on March the 14th.  And he held French elections a couple of days ago.

So my questions
-Why are all western goverments reacting so slow and so sloppy?

-Why are being so misinformed by our goverments???
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: March 16, 2020, 02:16:00 pm »

Why are all western goverments reacting so slow and so sloppy?
Still, initial reaction is better than initial Chinese reaction (though we had warning, so it is not good anyway).

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: March 16, 2020, 02:16:20 pm »

My guess would be some MPs and/or members of government are valuing the economy too much.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: March 16, 2020, 02:17:02 pm »

Probably because compared to Eastern governments, Western Governments with their emphasis on personal and individual freedom would have to resort to putting troops on the street to enforce curfews. Compared to Eastern governments with their collectivist mindsets, it's probably a lot easier and more socially acceptable for them to go straight to curfews and have them actually be respected by the populace without putting troops on the street.

Because as soon as Martial Law gets declared and there are troops on the street enforcing curfews and quarantine orders in Western countries, that's when the panic and hysteria is going to reach 11.

In other news, my apartment closed the Fitness Center. More than the lack of TP and stuff missing from the shelves, this is the closest Coronavirus has come to affecting me.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 02:46:12 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: March 16, 2020, 02:53:08 pm »

In all honesty toilet papers wouldnt be such a big problem if you adopted bidets for the purpose

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: March 16, 2020, 02:58:45 pm »

Online ordering has broken down too. Here, you used to be able to order two days ahead, but it ended up booked out almost two weeks in advance. Now, that major supermarket chain has informed the media that they're no longer accepting online orders unless you're a pensioner or on disability.

Right now, your best bet is to hit the supermarket right at opening time. But even then, queues are starting before that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: March 16, 2020, 02:59:00 pm »

The thing is, toilet papers aren't a problem at all.
It's one big overhyped internet meme.
Some guy in Australia saying toilet paper is all made in China (it isn't) went viral, turned into an internet meme and now people all across the globe are unnescessarily hoarding toilet paper, creating a daily shortage that wouldn't be there if they weren't hoarding the stuff.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 03:09:17 pm by martinuzz »

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 459