Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423918 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1020 on: March 16, 2020, 10:29:27 am »

I'll admit that I've eaten cat food after esoteric college shenanigans
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 16, 2020, 10:53:53 am »

I'm a little worried for society. Lockdowns are going to be weird. I have supplies for 6 weeks but what's after that? How does supplies go in supermarkets during a lockdown? Who's going to buy from a supermarket? Are people going to deliver to homes? A lot of home delivery infrastructure is built around buying from a supermarket, so is it built for that?

You have supplies for six weeks? So that is why all the supermarket shelfs are empty. Please stop pillaging the stores people..

It is fairly obvious that people need to be able to buy groceries and goverments will take that into account. I can't tell what your local situation is, but where I live I think they will keep the supermarkets open, but I guess they may limit the amount of people that can enter at once, or have similar restrictions. Home deliveries could be an option too.
There are plenty of stocks in distrubution centres and warehouses. There is plenty of toiletpaper as this video shows. (In dutch, but yes, all that stuff is toiletpaper.)

Well, country just entered partial lockdown starting Wednesday, and yes, retail and food is open.

Anyway I expected this a while and it's good. 6 weeks is... not a lot? About $50 worth of supplies, like an extra pair of diapers, detergent (no toilet paper, lol). Much of the food we got is stuff in excess - flour, yeast, noodles, some canned food. We bought most of it last week, when people were avoiding public places, so ironically, stores were overstocked.

Restaurants are getting shut down though. So it's probably a good idea to buy lots of stuff in one go in the future, so that there's less contact.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 16, 2020, 11:30:41 am »

Welp, we're apparently at the Madagascar-closes-borders stage of the not!game. Life imitating art, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: March 16, 2020, 12:05:26 pm »

Well, looks like Brazil will be the next Spain. A lot of people are outright ignoring the advice to isolate themselves (and going to packed restaurants, the beach, etc), and quite a few are even mocking the disease.

And, of course, there were the fascist rallies yesterday, that I mentioned in this very thread.

It's expected that in five days things will get very, very bad.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 16, 2020, 12:23:23 pm »

Slightly worrisome.. Cat food is nearly gone in my supermarket.

It's cheap and I like the taste.

Edit: I just noticed the page number, so I'll add something more true and also on-topic. Italy is telling people not to have gang-bangs during Corona virus.

There's nothing funny about the number 41

Love, scriver~

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 16, 2020, 12:25:27 pm »

Finland enters state of emergency on Wednesday, schools and public facilities shut down until April 13th etc.

This will be fun.

Went to the grocery store for the usual goods on my usual time on a sunday. It was desolated.

• Bread? One packet of rye hot dog bread, and some pre-baked bread was left.
  • Meat? Basically just expensive upper-class meat and fish was left. No minced meat, no chicken, no sausages. Thank god salami was still around.
  • Flour? Decimated. Only expensive flour left.
  • Tins? Hope you weren't planning on getting crushed tomatoes or purée, it's all gone.
  • Potatoes and other root vegetables? They're gone.

At that point I just stopped checking and grabbed whatever I could get. At least I can bake my own bread.

Hopefully they've restocked next time. I don't fancy eating rice and baked beans.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: March 16, 2020, 12:26:41 pm »

I use my left hand to open door, push elevator button, etc, and my right hand to use my phone. This way I can keep the phone relatively clean while  I'm out doing things.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 16, 2020, 12:32:24 pm »

Finland enters state of emergency on Wednesday, schools and public facilities shut down until April 13th etc.

This will be fun.

Went to the grocery store for the usual goods on my usual time on a sunday. It was desolated.

• Bread? One packet of rye hot dog bread, and some pre-baked bread was left.
  • Meat? Basically just expensive upper-class meat and fish was left. No minced meat, no chicken, no sausages. Thank god salami was still around.
  • Flour? Decimated. Only expensive flour left.
  • Tins? Hope you weren't planning on getting crushed tomatoes or purée, it's all gone.
  • Potatoes and other root vegetables? They're gone.

At that point I just stopped checking and grabbed whatever I could get. At least I can bake my own bread.

Hopefully they've restocked next time. I don't fancy eating rice and baked beans.

Just come over to Sweden, we have all the stocks.

Haven't even run out of toilet paper in our store (although the isle was a lil bit holey I have to admit). Only thing we've sold out on is hand booze. Tins and cans and flour and pasta is all there though. Last restock was Friday, next is tomorrow.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 16, 2020, 12:54:06 pm »

I'm a little worried for society. Lockdowns are going to be weird. I have supplies for 6 weeks but what's after that? How does supplies go in supermarkets during a lockdown? Who's going to buy from a supermarket? Are people going to deliver to homes? A lot of home delivery infrastructure is built around buying from a supermarket, so is it built for that?

You have supplies for six weeks? So that is why all the supermarket shelfs are empty. Please stop pillaging the stores people..

Dude, he's not a pillager. Some people buy bulk to start with, to save money. I had 10 kilos of rice (5 kg brown rice and 5 kg jasmine rice) before this thing even started. A couple of cabbages and a couple bags of onions, some frozen veg, and with the frozen meat in my freezer, and I could make curry rice dishes for over 1 month at a time without needing to shop. 6 week wouldn't be much stretch. I also buy powdered milk, because I don't drink that much, so fresh milk would go off before I finish it, so months worth of milk.

And that was when I was on unemployment. Now that I'm working I tend not to keep so much food stocked up because I can afford fresher stuff. So ironically, when I was unemployed I planned my food stocks further in advance than now when I'm working. Also, because I have a rewards card and was getting big discounts for doing bigger shopping trips, so I'd do one big shop every 4 weeks only rather than shopping every 2-week pay day.

Not having any food stored up is actually either (1) really bad planning: you don't know how to budget your unemployment check (or, you are homeless / unstable home life) or (2)  you got money so don't need to budget.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:08:26 pm by Reelya »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: March 16, 2020, 01:05:30 pm »

Local supermarkets are getting cleared out it seems. My main concern is that it's going to be hard to get fresh food for my tortoise more so than food for the humans in the house.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 16, 2020, 01:14:10 pm »

Might get some pretty good deals on fresh produce however, since the panickers don't want that stuff. One trick I started doing a while back is to cut things up before they go in the freezer into meal-sized chunks. Then you don't need to defrost a big slab of stuff to use it. Like, if you get a kilo of mince, are you going to want to cook the whole 1 kilo at once? If not, then separate it into just the portions required for one batch of cooking.

So I might buy some of the cheap veg and cut it up and put that in freezer bags. It's more work but the normal panickers aren't putting that effort in.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:15:59 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 16, 2020, 01:14:57 pm »

Past weekend my job's been shut down 'indefinitely'.  Its the Smithsonian, so basically they're treating it somewhat like its a government shutdown.  At least I'm promised pay for the next two weeks, but we don't know what's happening after that.  We had visitors up til the day before closing, even tour buses.

Half of me's been a little terrified as I'm basically dealing with foreigners on a daily basis, but I'm at least a semi-healthy(?) young guy so who knows.  I'm worried about my dad who eats cigars as a hobby and regularly practices martial arts (sweat everywhere).  His office is still open but closed recently for a cleaning day, and they've been working on work-at-home solutions.  Most of my other relatives live in bum-fuck nowhere so they're at least 60% safe, right.

Today brought me to a local supermarket out of frozen pizza and morbid curiosity.  The entire paper aisle is empty, alongside most of the meat.  Milk and eggs are mostly gone as well, unless you like plant milk.  I tried my best to have as little physical contact with the POS area as I could to help out the employees but I still feel bad about being outside at all.

Local supermarkets are getting cleared out it seems. My main concern is that it's going to be hard to get fresh food for my tortoise more so than food for the humans in the house.

Honestly?  The produce section was kinda untouched.  I get that produce is fairly perishable, but I feel like this says something about society.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 16, 2020, 01:23:26 pm »

There seems to be an evolution of these things. Different areas were emptying at different times.

This may have as much to do with the type of goods as the people buying them.

Paper goods have no expiry date, so they don't typically get restocked very much. This may have left them brittle in terms of resupply in the face of over-stockers, which then caused a vicious cycle.

Canned goods, rice, pasta were next: very long shelf life, so stocked well in advance: but, they do get stocked more regularly that toilet paper.

Meat, cheese, eggs: Very short shelf life, so it took more effort for these to be depleted, since they're used to restocking these constantly as it is.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: March 16, 2020, 01:26:13 pm »

I wanted to share this

https://corrierefiorentino.corriere.it/firenze/notizie/cronaca/20_marzo_15/dobbiamo-cambiare-rotta-ef23a500-669a-11ea-a40a-86d505f82a96.shtml?refresh_ce-cp&fbclid=IwAR2cqq7C46QM1o4mwSGPFImOzcIc7spd-LoDZMs9MKD0Ft5Xt-BB3b6TWD8

Basically, they did a study in an Italian town, Vo.  They found that 50 to 70% of the population were asymptomatic or oligosymtomatic  carriers of coronavirus. Then they enforced even stricter isolation on these and infections fell from 88 to 7

So the takehome message if this is true:
- reinforces the situation with the virus. On an individual basis danger is low. But it destroys societies and healthcare systems.

- the covid19 cases we see are the tip of the iceberg. We're surrounded by thousands of superspreaders.

- social isolation works. It works better if you do it early before it infiltrates your society. But even late you can turn the tabs on covid19 if you act decisively.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 16, 2020, 01:27:53 pm »

Good to know. Though social isolation is actually beginning to get to me. And the UK's approach of "Bring out yer Dead" doesn't support it atm.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 459