Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423887 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: SARS-Cov-2: Coronavirus World Tour 2020
« Reply #1515 on: March 23, 2020, 10:13:21 am »

South Korea didn't have full lockdown.

Bars, cafes, restaurants all stayed open.
People did all wear facemasks though, so perhaps they are more important than our government has been telling us.
They are. Our goverments dropped the ball bad. You can't trust shit on the news anymore.

The reason goverments are doing this is that they are short of stocks as it is. Likewise they started to say on TV that hydroalcoholic gel  on supermarkets "might not be enough to fight covid19" . do you think that's actually true? I think a good clue to the real answer is that they put the army up to manufacturing that gel en masse. It does work. They just want to buy it themselves.

As to which is the better use for all this? It.mighr be that many of these things (commercial facemasks, gel, whatnot) get more mileage in hospitals (I'd totally advise to get even a DIY at least and I'm sending the shenzen videos around. You should too).  The crux of the matter is that western goverments, after years of cutting down on healthcare, and delocalizing industry in favor of global supply chains, are now in trouble, and what's worse, covering up with lies. They actually have been lying nonstop since this shitfest began.
 If I survive this, I honestly doubt I'll be able to watch the news without  mistrusting everything that is said.

It might not be a bad custom to acquire either.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: March 23, 2020, 10:18:24 am »

If you wrap a ninja t-shirt around your head like that over here in the Netherlands when you go to the supermarket, panic will ensue.
People will think you are a robber or terrorist.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: March 23, 2020, 10:18:54 am »

The whole mask thing is kind of unbelievable, and an abysmal failure by the media (same outlets making fun of silicon valley for discouraging handshakes early on).  A big wave of stories early in the outbreak about how masks are useless, or that you shouldn't use them because healthcare workers need them, sometimes in the same article which doesn't make much sense.  You still see people repeating those lines and discouraging mask use. 

Russian disinfo bots and 4chan trolls undermining our epistemology, 'post-truth,' all that shit we've been hearing about constantly for years, turns out the call is coming from inside the house.

Hope this guy finishes 2020 working at a gas station.
Shoes...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: March 23, 2020, 10:31:15 am »

There's talk about potential food rationing in UK.

I mean I'm not surprised. I'm not at all confident that we won't end up with rationing in Spain. And Spain is a net food exporter. So given that the UK's food supply was already in question around Brexit.... welp.

Cheers everyone.  :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: March 23, 2020, 10:43:49 am »

The mask thing is more complicated than "does work"/"doesn't work".  N95 full-face gasmasks do work, and needed to go to healthcare professionals instead of being hoarded by the less-at-risk.  Cloth and DIY masks aren't good protection since the droplets can enter through the eyes, though there is evidence that they help.  The certainly help on infected people - still not complete protection, but reduces the range at least. 

Every object is still suspect, so handwashing is still the best defense.  But since so many people are asymptomatic carriers, covering one's mouth is also helpful.  The t-shirt method is cool and all, but I'll be using a scarf.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: March 23, 2020, 10:52:22 am »

Cloth and DIY masks aren't good protection since the droplets can enter through the eyes, though there is evidence that they help.  The certainly help on infected people - still not complete protection, but reduces the range at least. 

Every object is still suspect, so handwashing is still the best defense.  But since so many people are asymptomatic carriers, covering one's mouth is also helpful.  The t-shirt method is cool and all, but I'll be using a scarf.
Thats what I mean. Even though you could still get it through eye droplets its better than being able to get it in the mouth as well.

Really this is all about stacking the odds.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: March 23, 2020, 10:57:15 am »

I want more headlines like this: "Billionaire Dan Gilbert gives free rent to small-business restaurants, retailers during coronavirus"

Sadly Mr. Gilbert does not own my company's building.  We are having a company meeting later today where we find out about some "drastic" cost cutting measures.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: March 23, 2020, 01:14:26 pm »

It's the dumb seatbelt argument all over again. Do people still die even when wearing seatbelts in cars? Yes. But it does help, so why wouldn't you if you have the option? And yet people still don't wear their seatbelts.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: March 23, 2020, 01:16:21 pm »

New reports suggesting that the Olympic committee have finally seen reason and are postponing the event to 2021
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: March 23, 2020, 01:17:21 pm »

Almost certainty, now that Canada has pulled out. It'll just be a slow avalanche of other countries withdrawing if they don't.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: March 23, 2020, 01:32:16 pm »

It's the dumb seatbelt argument all over again. Do people still die even when wearing seatbelts in cars? Yes. But it does help, so why wouldn't you if you have the option? And yet people still don't wear their seatbelts.

I want to be thrown clear of the virus
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: March 23, 2020, 01:38:22 pm »

I want to go to sleep and wake up in two months

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: March 23, 2020, 01:43:10 pm »

You'll just wake up looking like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: March 23, 2020, 02:12:41 pm »

They tell you to wear masks so the straps will snap your neck if you sneeze, it's a cheaper payout than just being injured, like people used to be by most viruses.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: March 23, 2020, 02:26:53 pm »

They've closed down the laundromats, so working from home naked is just doing my part.

They tell you to wear masks so the straps will snap your neck if you sneeze, it's a cheaper payout than just being injured, like people used to be by most viruses.

I know a guy, and they said the reason he wasn't injured in his virus is because he wasn't wearing a mask.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 459