Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421417 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1635 on: March 25, 2020, 06:09:03 am »

I wish I had your faith.

Might be irrelevant in the end.  Nothing will change or everything will change or we'll all sink after this. I don't know what to feel or how to feel anymore.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: March 25, 2020, 06:14:07 am »

One thing is for certain though.
30-40 years of neocon politics in the various EU countries, with privatization and budget cuts for essential services has left our healthcare systems way underprepared for an event like this.
When this is over, that is something that is going to need to be adressed.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: March 25, 2020, 06:25:33 am »

neoliberal
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: March 25, 2020, 06:29:01 am »

Like any of this matters. The old order is dead that much is true.

I expect the post-covid world will spend more in healthcare and medical research. Which is good I guess.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: March 25, 2020, 06:38:25 am »

neoliberal
I know, but that confuses US readers too much.

EDIT: Hongkong has reinstated quarantine rules and working from home ethics.
A new rise in infections has prompted them to cancel the resumption of jobs.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:50:23 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: March 25, 2020, 06:55:25 am »

We're in deep shit.

I was dreading to hear that.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: March 25, 2020, 07:00:31 am »

The different curves of infected/dead DOES seem to be linear instead of exponential since France's quarantine measures. So that's a progress.

I am worried it is still progressing pretty well.

...I can't wait until this has gone full Mad Max and the toilet paper gangs start roaming the streets.

Last I went to my supermarket supplies were alright. I'm going tomorrow.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:06:23 am by Naryar »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: March 25, 2020, 07:02:38 am »

People have been calling back to Contagion, but Jaws is the real comparison.  Mindless killer wanders in and starts doing what it does.  The mayor doesn't want to close down because he's afraid of economic consequences.  The killer doesn't know what an economy is, and wouldn't care even if it did.  It continues killing.  The mayor gets economic consequences anyway.
Shoes...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: March 25, 2020, 07:23:30 am »

while almost everything has been bad news about this thing, there is at least some good news.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/25/new-coronavirus-research-suggests-vaccines-developed-to-treat-it-could-be-long-lasting/

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: March 25, 2020, 07:37:04 am »

Trump sees China already getting over the quarantine hump.
Now wants Murrica to stop it’s patchwork suggested quarantine measures as soon as possible.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: March 25, 2020, 07:43:36 am »

trump is an idiot that does not understand how quarantine works, and the extreme methods china used.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: March 25, 2020, 08:05:39 am »

Apparently prince charles cought the virus.

Just imagine if he would not survive it. All his life waiting for the crown for nothing, and how would they handle a royal funeral if nobody can attend? Would probably be close to ending up in an unmarked grave, relatively speaking.

I wonder if the relatively high number of famous people you hear about that contracted the virus are another sign that cases are massively underreported.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: March 25, 2020, 08:07:11 am »

What sickens me to the core is that worldwide, hospitals and medical institutes report a staggering increase in hacking and ransomware attacks.
People who shut down hospital systems and asking ransom to restore functionality in these times should be put away for life.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: March 25, 2020, 08:17:44 am »

It's not just Trump - nobody wants the draconian quarantines.  I mean I'm already down to 50% my normal pay, and if things don't change soon - like in 4 weeks - I'll likely lose my job entirely.

World leaders have a tough job - they have to weigh things like "do I really destroy my economy for all 300 million of my country to save the lives of 2 or 4 or 10 million? Or do I just eat those deaths - as horrible as it sounds - so that the remaining hundreds of millions have a more or less normal life?"  And that's even if you have a leader that doesn't present as a pompous child.

I don't know what world people live in where they think we can just have 75% of the population sit idle and not have a collapsed economy.  It will take "drastic" economic measures like forgiving all debt, resetting the monetary system, etc.  The number of people I know getting laid off from white-collar jobs even is now "growing exponentially".

If we don't lift the quarantine, or come up with a way that doesn't involve debt (printing money is a form of debt) to keep people in their homes and able to buy food, in less than about 4 weeks, I think we're going to start seeing societal breakdowns much more frightening than an overwhelmed healthcare system.  If nothing else because people will just be literally going stir-crazy.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: March 25, 2020, 08:18:47 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:22:21 am by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 459