Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423771 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #1725 on: March 27, 2020, 02:21:08 am »

The issues of deaths only found in hindsight to be COVID-19 makes me want to throw up my hands at the whole thing. But... if you don't have data, how can you know? God I'm glad for perhaps the first time ever that I'm not a public policy decision maker right now. It's just unknowns and best-guesses as far as the eye can see, with lives on the line.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: March 27, 2020, 02:30:23 am »

I'm not - if it had been Bernie in 2016, we'd literally be nationalizing industries on a daily basis right now and slowing the spread over the excuse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: March 27, 2020, 02:47:10 am »

... assumes that hospitals are able to care for the roughly 20% who require hospitalization.
How do you get to that 20%?
Out of 1400 hospital workers tested positive here last week, only 3% needed hospitalization, and of that 3% about 10% needed ICU care. The 97% that did not need hospitalization got better after 1 or a few days of the sniffles / mild flu-like symptoms.
Now these hospital workers were all below 67 (retirement age), so I can believe that the hospitalization rate rises when you add the elderly into the mix, but that won't get it up to 20%
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: March 27, 2020, 02:54:04 am »

Your numbers on the other
Out of 1400 hospital workers tested positive here last week, only 3% needed hospitalization, and of that 3% about 10% needed ICU care.

Source? Your numbers are a lot lower than what I am reading. For example:
The model then uses the best current estimates of how long someone is infectious (14 days); how many new cases each infected person causes (called the effective reproduction number, it’s about 2.5); the percentage of Covid-19 patients who need to be hospitalized (5%, reflecting the fact that most people have only mild or moderate illness); the percentage who need to be in an ICU (2%) or on a ventilator (1%); and the length of stay for each of these three.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/coronavirus-model-shows-hospitals-what-to-expect/

.. oh wait, you are talking about hospital workers, who were healthy middle-to-low-age people to begin with. That explains it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:57:06 am by Quarque »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: March 27, 2020, 06:16:10 am »

IIRC the numbers from Wuhan were around that...  around 10% requiring inpatient care,  around 5-6% requiring ICU.  Not sure if categories were mutually inclusive. It doesnt matter much either :/

And problems are age related too. You look at the stats, and fatality rate begins to increase slowly with age, dramatically so. The really big jump is in 80+ people. So one reason that was thought could have something to do with the differences in fatalities in Asia and Europe was how it has infested nursing homes in the West.

Of course, with a test shortage and only testing severe cases you're skewering mortality results and making it look more lethal than it is. This would likely be true anyway... I mean we *know*  there are lots of asymptomatic carriers. Maybe as many as 5-10 for each symptomatic one. Its more frequent in the young, but it also happens in the elderly, so any affable granny could be a plague vector.

The problem with all this is still the same: healthcare collapse. Many interventions, surgeries and consults are being cancelled due to covid19. I don't doubt that people will die from the effects on the healthcare system
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: March 27, 2020, 07:19:37 am »

Hence (at least, one of the main explanation) the number of death in Italy. One of the oldest country in the world.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: March 27, 2020, 07:48:45 am »

I think the main reason is that they havent gor enough tests for everyone. Let alone the ones qith mild symptoms
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: March 27, 2020, 07:50:29 am »

The problem with all this is still the same: healthcare collapse. Many interventions, surgeries and consults are being cancelled due to covid19. I don't doubt that people will die from the effects on the healthcare system
To be fair, people were already dying from the failures of the healthcare system, just not so quickly or visibly. I have nothing but my deepest sympathies to offer my elderly clients in this time, since I can't get supply of anything more effective.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: March 27, 2020, 08:08:34 am »

When this is all said and done, I will be interested to see if this shows up in the total M&M* statistics for each country for a year. I am really curious if this is a total add to M&M, or just a severe time-shift.

This is the only metric that will include all the effects such as the impact of having an ICU full with COVID-19 cases so it pushes out other uses, etc.  It will also include, interestingly, tertiary effects from reductions in pollution, travel, and other diseases also having their impacts affected by the social distancing and lockdown measures.

*Morbidity & Mortality

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: March 27, 2020, 08:13:52 am »

Boris Johnson has tested positive for corona.
If his condition worsens, minister of foreign afairs Dominic Raab will take on the prime minister job.
Johnson's pregnant girlfriend has also been placed in isolation.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: March 27, 2020, 09:12:07 am »

By the way, local administrators and researchers in the Bergamo area are warning that deaths may be vastly undereported.
Basically, they checked graphs for the number of deaths and overlaid the coronavirus reported deaths. Coronavirus was already a big spike over the baseline... but exactly on top of it, total deaths reached peaks of 4-10 times (depending on location) more than reported coronavirus deaths. How many of those are virus related and how many healthcare collapse related is anyone's guess, but that is a lot of extra deaths.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: March 27, 2020, 09:30:39 am »

Incidentally my mother commented that if she happens to die of complications from the stuff growing in her intestines that was scheduled to be removed during a colonoscopy a week ago or two weeks ago (cancelled due to Corona), that she wants me to write an Op-ed calling her part of the toll of COVID-19. I think it was only partly a joke.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 27, 2020, 10:28:03 am »

The NRA is argueing to reopen the weapons stores, they claim guns are an 'essential' service.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:43:46 am by martinuzz »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: March 27, 2020, 10:35:33 am »

Flip I read that as IRA.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 459