Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423836 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2415 on: April 14, 2020, 04:37:54 pm »

Do you know what's definitely an essential business during this pandemic? Pro Wrestling!
What? Why? That’s a terrible idea.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2416 on: April 14, 2020, 04:41:02 pm »

Do you know what's definitely an essential business during this pandemic? Pro Wrestling!
Why?

Florida.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: April 14, 2020, 04:45:00 pm »

Worst worst case scenario is when people who have had the virus lose immunity after some time, which is not unusual with many other respiratory virusses.  In that case we can expect a few yearly lockdowns for the rest of our lives, or until a medicine is found that makes the illness less severe, so less people end up on ICU.

Multiyear lockdown would kill more people than COVID, so in such case continuing it would be a bad idea.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2418 on: April 14, 2020, 04:54:31 pm »

As sort-of-documented in hovertext by Randall Munroe?

I mean, non-contact VR-only wrestling is pretty much possible for people already executing highly choreographed 'self-slamdowns'.

(Incidentally, from the latest comic I learnt yesterday that John Conway (the creator of the Game Of Life who isn't Milton Bradley) has died. Among so many others, of course.)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: April 14, 2020, 05:59:12 pm »

I mean, non-contact VR-only wrestling is pretty much possible for people already executing highly choreographed 'self-slamdowns'.
"The Invisible Man" has been used as a gimmick before :Pretty much a one man wrestling match
In fact, "Invisible Wrestler" vs "Invisible Wrestler" has also been done, somehow
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: April 14, 2020, 08:52:52 pm »

<sigh>
Trump decided to stop the US contribution to the WHO, accusing them of obscuring and blurring the severity of the corona outbreak in China.
'The outbreak could have been stopped at the source with only little casualties', he said.
'The WHO has failed her basic objective", and "it needs to be held responsible'.
He announced that all payments to the WHO will immediatly be placed on hold, until the WHO's conduct in the pandemic has been evaluated.

The US up to now has been the largest contributor to the WHO. Last year the US spent 400 million dollars on it.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2421 on: April 14, 2020, 08:54:19 pm »

15% of their budget.

He’s trying to distract from his whole “I AM THE LAW” and general criticism of his incompetence.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: April 14, 2020, 09:02:14 pm »

I'm enjoying today's edition of "I now have an unshakable opinion on an organization I'd never heard of yesterday because Mother Government tells me so".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: April 14, 2020, 09:08:03 pm »

Trump should redirect the money to a new organization call the America First Health Organization.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: April 14, 2020, 09:11:58 pm »

America First Aid Organisation
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: April 14, 2020, 09:14:37 pm »

He has a whole different take on "The Buck Stops Here".  (Also neither does it mean government bucks into his pockets.)

Also announced an offshore drugs siezure, while failing to do anything to help with useful drugs (except hitch himself to that iffy chloroquinine stuff, again likely with financial remunerations attached to his direct benefit).

TBH, the UK government is doing similar self-excusing, the line being "at all times we have been following the latest scientific advice" (a.k.a. "Not our fault, guvnor... You can't get the wood you know!") but at least they aren't just... whatever it is that he's doing.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: April 14, 2020, 09:30:07 pm »

<sigh>
Trump decided to stop the US contribution to the WHO, accusing them of obscuring and blurring the severity of the corona outbreak in China.
'The outbreak could have been stopped at the source with only little casualties', he said.
'The WHO has failed her basic objective", and "it needs to be held responsible'.
He announced that all payments to the WHO will immediatly be placed on hold, until the WHO's conduct in the pandemic has been evaluated.

The US up to now has been the largest contributor to the WHO. Last year the US spent 400 million dollars on it.
I'm gonna be honest, my first reaction to this went against forum guidelines.  Not even from a place of anger - I got angry when he started making noises about this early last week or so (arguably for weeks, but it got severe).  Maybe it's a cold anger?  It feels more like confusion.

I guess I don't wish any harm on him as long as he's removed from office for being a clear and present danger to all humanity.  I mean, revenge is the kind of pointless endeavor he'd advocate.  Rehabilitation is a much more enlightened goal, after you've resolved the threat to the public of course.

He's not supposed to put holds like this on congressionally assigned funds - like, particularly for his own ego or benefit...  Does he still not get that?  I guess he doesn't care, since he got away with it before and presumably now.  We are so fucked...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: April 14, 2020, 09:42:56 pm »

Plague Inc really needs an expanded scenario, I don't think even they coulda imagined something like this.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: April 14, 2020, 09:49:26 pm »

Btw: recent case-control studies with HCQ point to it providing some symptom relief (if at all) but little else, with similar times to seroconversion and ICU admission rates
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: April 14, 2020, 10:24:19 pm »

So, I remember a CPAP vs BiPAP discussion in here a while back and "airbreaking" some CPAP machines means you only need to control aerosolization because apparently at least some of them CAN do the inflow/outflow jobs their more expensive cousins perform: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/04/firmware-jailbreak-lets-low-cost-medical-devices-act-like-ventilators/
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 459