Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423926 times)

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2550 on: April 20, 2020, 09:16:42 am »

Wonderful, 500+ official daily cases in Poland for the first time.

Also, I finally found collection how testing is going in Poland - http://covid.sikorski.pw/tests.html

Private page because official one is not existing or at least I failed to find it (data collected from official sources, in this case an official twitter account).

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: April 20, 2020, 09:27:20 am »

Granular testing. Reserve a proportion of the testing capability (at the cost of suspicion/confirmation testing, unfortunately, whilesoever we're still behind the curve on that) and allocate that to randomised individuals spread out all across every geographic and demographic area.

For all positives discovered (and a similar sub-proportion of those that are negative) delve deeper by contract tracing and with a finer mesh of randomised testing, repeating as suitable.  Use these results to extrapolate and interpolate (where not otherwise fully investigated) and thus derive much of the missing and assumed data needed.

(Of course this won't happen. Probably not even a catch/recatch variation.)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: April 20, 2020, 10:26:24 am »

Hmm. Must say my concern about Russia's cases appears to have been justified. When I first mentioned them in this thread on April 11th, they had 13k cases. Now they're up to 47,000+ confirmed cases now and still rising rapidly. Still lower per capita than many European countries, but the caserate is still more rapidly than any other country in Europe.

In America, rapidly rising in the "Infected per capita" count is Marion County, Ohio, which has suddenly and rapidly risen to be the second most infected county in the entire country after Rockland County New York, with 2,800 confirmed cases per capita (1,834 overall), and doubling every day and a half (added 851 cases yesterday). The spike is mostly linked to Marion Correctional jail, where 75% of the inmate population has tested positive.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:32:00 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: April 20, 2020, 10:54:49 am »

with 2,800 confirmed cases per capita
For a moment, there, I thought you were saying that for every person, there were nearly three thousand positive results. That's overtesting!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: April 20, 2020, 11:29:47 am »

For a moment, there, I thought you were saying that for every person, there were nearly three thousand positive results. That's overtesting!

Reminds me of Spiders Georg and statistical outliers.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: April 20, 2020, 12:57:08 pm »

what’s Spiders Georg?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: April 20, 2020, 02:06:48 pm »

what’s Spiders Georg?

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=spiders+georg
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: April 20, 2020, 03:05:58 pm »

Spiders Georg is a fictional character that was created on Tumblr as a joke about a false statistic regarding the average number of spiders a person may consume each year.

(...)

Max Lavergne submitted a blog post about the often-quoted factoid, asserting that people eating "three spiders a year" is actually a statistical error due to a man named "Spiders Georg" who consumes "over 10,000" of the arachnids each day.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/spiders-georg

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: April 20, 2020, 05:18:12 pm »

For the first time in history, oil price has dropped below zero.
A barrel of oil now costs minus 40 dollars.
Oil producers will now have to pay customers to take their oil;  the alternative is worse, if they can't lose their oil, they will have to shut down their oil drilling facilities, which costs a lot, and will cost even more to reanimate them later.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: April 20, 2020, 05:24:29 pm »

For the first time in history, oil price has dropped below zero.
A barrel of oil now costs minus 40 dollars.
Oil producers will now have to pay customers to take their oil;  the alternative is worse, if they can't lose their oil, they will have to shut down their oil drilling facilities, which costs a lot, and will cost even more to reanimate them later.
Note that it applies only to oil in USA and more specifically oil to be deliver at oil hub Cushing, Oklahoma. It has capacity to store about 8 days of USA production.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/business/stock-market-live-trading-coronavirus.html

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: April 20, 2020, 05:34:44 pm »

Apparently Georgia is going to try opening up some stuff by Friday?

Hope whatever forumites we got there and apparently Tennessee don't get fucked by this. Jesus Christ. I mean, there hasn't even really been a dip in cases in Georgia as far as I know.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:49:53 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: April 20, 2020, 07:17:30 pm »

People will get fucked up by this, because people are stupid.

However, I think that people literally risking their lives and those of their loved ones after a month of being cooped up is proof that very few people would ever sit on unemployment benefits if the alternative is gainful employment.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: April 20, 2020, 07:34:13 pm »

Heard of bit of a rumor from someone today. They're claiming that like 1/3rd of Hastings, NE is testing positive now because of some birthday celebration that had a large number of attendees. (Someone said thousands but that's pretty improbable.) I found mention of the party here but it's exceptionally light on details.

So much for Nebraskans being responsible though. Shit, I've had this group of rednecks camped out in the grass across the street from my apartment for the last two weeks when it's nice. There's usually 4 to 8 of them sitting around in lawn chairs drinking beer, sitting next to some sign they put out while they're there. I can't get a good look at the sign, but based on the red and blue text on a white background, it's more than likely political. No telling if they're regulars of the bar that shares the parking lot they camp out by, or if they just decided to set up shop there in the grass.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 08:50:15 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: April 20, 2020, 08:39:57 pm »

SUPER!
SPREADER!
SUPER!
SPREADER!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: April 20, 2020, 09:58:42 pm »

While at the same time as he's telling Americans to walk around spitting in each other's faces, Trump's just announced a complete suspension of all immigration into the USA.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 459