Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423878 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Super Stay Home Edition
« Reply #2595 on: April 22, 2020, 12:13:30 pm »

I thought we just had the weak-sauce "if you go out we'll give you a ticket" kind of enforcement.

I don't think we have that, either.

Also, https://twitter.com/MrT/status/1252990795059060739

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: April 22, 2020, 01:20:02 pm »

Can you make that not sound condescending?  That tone doesn't help.
Mate, that tone isn't condescension, it's extremely intense frustration. There's a lot of people going around spreading horseshit right now about how what we need to do to properly manage a fucking plague is somehow bloody unknowable, when it's not. At all. The right course of action is friggin' solved on the top level of things (test hard, limit movement and means of spread, support your population), it's just logistics and people refusing to do it that's the actual trouble.

That said, while I think that is possibly a solution, it doesn't address "balance" (people want to go to work because their bored, not merely because they aren't paid).
It absolutely address balance. People get to go to work to alleviate boredom, without getting people killed, when the situation is such they can go to work without it getting people killed. Which means identification of infected individuals and control of their movement, management of protective equipment, adapting new behavior to prevent spread, and so on.

It's also not practical at all.  I mean are you really suggesting that we forcibly incarcerate people for quarantine? 
Mandated quarantines have already happened in the US -- there were stories earlier this year of poor bastards getting held in the hospital for days/weeks and then getting the bill for it shoved up their ass. Some other nations, some of them even democracies, also seem to be managing something vaguely in that direction.

And absolutely, if you're confirmed positive you should be locked down pretty hard, and probably have the law bust your ass with something (fines, incarceration, whatever) if you don't comply and go screwing around trying to infect people with something that kills somewhere between one in a hundred to one in fucking ten of the people that catch it.

Every effort should also be made to make sure it doesn't screw you over one way or another (from going stir crazy to going bankrupt), and probably to reward willing compliance if that'd help, but if you want your balance point between economic activity and people not fucking dying to the goddamn plague you have to limit the movement of the infected. Ideally without coercion, but if basic goddamn sense and decency doesn't stop someone from spreading a plague you go to your next options.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: April 22, 2020, 01:27:23 pm »

The Republicans in Wisconsin are asking the state Supreme Court - which currently has a conservative majority of 5-2 - to overturn Governor Evers attempt to extend the safer-at-home policy ‘til May 26.

‘cause refusing to broaden absentee voting in a GLOBAL PANDEMIC is not damage enough.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: April 22, 2020, 01:28:32 pm »

The Republicans in Wisconsin are asking the state Supreme Court - which currently has a conservative majority of 5-2 - to overturn Governor Evers attempt to extend the safer-at-home policy ‘til May 26.

‘cause refusing to broaden absentee voting in a GLOBAL PANDEMIC is not damage enough.
here’s hoping the court values safety over partisanship, sadly unlikely

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: April 22, 2020, 01:42:10 pm »

An autopsy out in California has identified a COVID death from February 6, weeks earlier than the first official death. That means this person was infected around mid to late January.

How widespread is this virus? Antibody tests seems to support the idea that large amounts of people were infected and going under the radar
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: April 22, 2020, 01:54:32 pm »

Antibody tests seems to support the idea that large amounts of people were infected and going under the radar
Depends on what you are asking. That huge chunks of people are asymtomatic or oligosymptomatic has been known for a while. Most estimates go around 50%-90% of all cases being asymptomatic.

If what you are asking is whether that means that enough people have been infected to call off the lockdowns... the answer is no, we're not there. If you cancel the lockdowns right now you get another peak fast and it throws rhe effort back another month
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: April 22, 2020, 01:57:16 pm »

An autopsy out in California has identified a COVID death from February 6, weeks earlier than the first official death. That means this person was infected around mid to late January.

How widespread is this virus? Antibody tests seems to support the idea that large amounts of people were infected and going under the radar
We don't know. We're still not fucking testing to nearly the degree we need to be to be able to answer that question with any actual certainty. We know we're not identifying a great many of the infected, though, yes. We're also aware those unidentified folks are still dying, tested or not. That's why NY's death toll suddenly jumped a bit ago -- they started including the likely, but unconfirmed, in their fatality numbers.
Ask not!
Ask!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: April 22, 2020, 02:27:23 pm »

I think I'm just suffering from fatigue.

I want to live my life enjoying it, not huddled inside with fear and gloom at every turn of the media.  Maybe I should start taking online courses to get a psych degree - gonna be massive demand for PTSD and depression.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: April 22, 2020, 03:17:16 pm »

I mean, yeah. Having to basically huddle under the blankets for couple months (repeatedly, for probably a year or two) sucks hard for most folks.

It just doesn't suck as hard as like one out of a hundred or worse of your people dying in agony. It's a pain in the ass we can probably suck up if it means hundreds of thousands or millions of people, y'know, not dying from a viral pandemic.

.. though that said, and I get it's probably sort of a joke, while PTSD and depression treatment's basically always badly needed, you'd probably want to remember it's, well, pretty shitty from the doctor's side, too.

Imagine for a second listening to stories as bad or worse than everything going on with the crow plague, and trying to help people through that, except rather than being something you're engaging with sporadically and can sorta' remove yourself from at times, it's literally your job and you're doing it every work day. It's rough shit, burn out and depression/suicide rates among psych doctors dealing with those kinda' issues are pretty high. If just stay at home stuff is too much, it's probably not a good fit :-\
Ask not!
Ask!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: April 22, 2020, 03:25:22 pm »

It's not the stay at home that gets me - I work from home mostly anyway. It's the "no matter what we do, people will either die or it will suck."  The constant fear-mongering, opportunism, etc.  The fact that mass surveillance, ability to just force people to stop working, etc. are all now being normalized, worldwide.

Doesn't help that it's late April and snowing outside again, but just flurries so it's just nasty out and not like go sledding or whatever, so the kids are even more cabin-fever than usual ':)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: April 22, 2020, 04:51:41 pm »

The fact that mass surveillance, ability to just force people to stop working, etc. are all now being normalized, worldwide.
Yeah. That scares me just as much, if not more, than the pandemic.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: April 22, 2020, 05:38:15 pm »

Speaking as an Australian, where we've had our state's borders closed to our fellow Australian neighbours, bans on gatherings of more than two people, school closures and business shutdowns, and even a government tracking app rolled out, I only have one real comment about the powers being used.

Total Australian deaths: 74

People need to calm down, stay home, and if they want to protest, make a damned YouTube video about it. If they disagree with the way things are being handled, write to their local politician. If they don't give a satisfactory answer, vote for someone else, or even run themselves if nobody else is doing a good enough job.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: April 22, 2020, 06:02:18 pm »

Seems like Italy will be opening its borders on May 1st, probably won't ease up most of the restrictions yet but it seems an attempt at returning to normal is being made, atleast on the economy side of things. Not sure how it will pan out tbh, either a resurgence in cases in their own country or a potential spread to anyone doing business with them, because if there's anything this whole thing has taught me it's that people are fucking dumb and really bad at following simple steps at preventing a shitstorm if the shitstorm isn't immediate and obvious.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: April 22, 2020, 06:28:32 pm »

The way I've been thinking about it is imagine a big debt, with punitive compound interest rates.

Not social distancing early is like, instead of paying off the debt entirely, only paying it off partially, or waiting, etc. With the US efforts we only just barely have started paying off more than the interest to actually get to the principal of the debt, and now we've paid so much that not everyone can pay, distancing is going on too long and isn't indefinitely sustainable, etc. But we're paying more now than we would have to begin with if we had acted fast. If we had had, two weeks self-isolation, globally, or at least close to it, this would be over, or at least much reduced. But now not only is that too late, but it's impossible to do without a cost that is simply too high. So now we're going to have to spend a long time paying it off slowly because we literally cannot pay it off quickly.

And everyone pays for those who didn't.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: April 22, 2020, 08:45:29 pm »

It's almost like there is some hidden cost... ... some not well-defined catch-22... ... some *reason* why naked capitalism is BAD, and you really should NOT seek to extract the absolute highest value the market can bear, to the point where there is no excess that can be saved!

It's almost like those wasteful safety nets are necessary!

Financial heresy! /s

No seriously-- The slavish devotion to "Gotta INCREASE those earnings this quarter AGAIN, or the world will end!" leads to situations where all fat gets cut. Then some meat. Then some more meat. Then some more meat. Then some more meat--- until you end up with a fucking lich of an economy:  People don't make enough money to have a savings, because "GOTTA CUT COSTS! GOTTA INCREASE EARNINGS!! NO RAISES THIS YEAR!(except for management(tm))".  People don't have enough money to buy things, but still, "GOTTA BOOST SALES! (and fire people who don't perform)", etc.

Then something comes along and knocks those skeletal legs out of it, and it lacks the strength to pick itself back up again.

But how DARE I question the necessity of fleecing the economy to the point where you take the top few layers of skin too, because "There's some hair shaft embedded in that skin, and we have to have THE WHOLE FLEECE!"  I mean, think of the investors! /s

Inefficiency is not always a BAD thing.  Try explaining that to an economist though.  "savings" is an inefficiency, because that is money that is not being immediately re-tendered.

The economist *WANTS* everyone to live paycheck to paycheck. That is the most efficient, because all dollars are constantly circulating.
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 459