Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423710 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3315 on: June 16, 2020, 07:00:43 pm »

Yeah I read that in my newspaper too.
Apparently it has a significant effect of reducing death rate in severe cases that are coping with the disease for a longer time.  It seems to have no effect whatsoever in mild cases.
Which leads me to think that a lot of ICU deaths are not actually due to the virus itself, but due to the immune response going haywire and doing damage even when the virus itself has been incapacitated.
It would be awesome if more studies prove it is indeed effective.  Dexamethason is not super expensive either. It's a relatively cheap medicine (around 40 euros per dose).

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: June 16, 2020, 07:27:54 pm »

Kinda surprised it took this long for them to try steroids? It's been known early on that a hyper-immuno response to the virus is the major cause of death. When people's lungs are swollen, inflamed and filled with fluid, I dunno, I figured steroids would have been tried many times already just to get the swelling down so some level of natural lung function could be achieved. What the hell do I know though, I'm just in an arm chair over here.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3317 on: June 16, 2020, 08:00:16 pm »

It has been tried. Previously reported to INCREASE mortality, but we've been getting curves since mid february at least so yet another U turn is not that surprising. We'll see if it pans out.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: June 17, 2020, 04:42:18 am »

Plus, if it's dexamethasone instead of, say, tocilizumab or baricitinib, I'm gonna be far less suspicious about funding motivations influencing research results.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3319 on: June 17, 2020, 11:51:06 am »

Big covid outbreak in Germany. 30 dead and 400 inffcted today. In a meat plant. Whats the deal with meatplants and covid
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: June 17, 2020, 12:19:35 pm »

Big covid outbreak in Germany. 30 dead and 400 inffcted today. In a meat plant. Whats the deal with meatplants and covid

Probably the fact they're assembly lines where people work closely next to each other.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: June 17, 2020, 12:20:24 pm »

🤦‍♂️ I thought we werent doing that anymore

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: June 17, 2020, 12:30:02 pm »

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

not doing that anymore

ha ha ha

:'(
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: June 17, 2020, 01:12:42 pm »

I'm not sure how to parse that sentence.  30 people died in a meat plant? 30 new deaths in the entire country and, separately, 400 new confirmed cases all associated with the plant?  (Incidentally, 30 deaths would've contracted the illness, what, 20 days ago?)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: June 17, 2020, 04:11:50 pm »

Usually very few safety protections, and crowded working conditions. The meat companies claimed there was going to be a massive meat shortage, and got permission to ignore the safety restrictions. It turns out the "shortage" was because they wanted to open new markets in China to increase profits. They're global companies, so I assume the lies in Germany were the same as here.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: June 17, 2020, 04:35:26 pm »

In the Netherlands there were issues as well at meat plants. Here it was mostly caused because most of the workers are laborers from eastern europe or elsewhere who live in cramped conditions and travel to work in small vans, where they are easily infected.
People want their cheap hamburgers though, its BBQ season.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: June 17, 2020, 05:51:01 pm »

"Meat plants" are Triffids, right? Either that or those Pod-People things.

:P

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: June 17, 2020, 07:05:01 pm »

A new outbreak in Beijing was also related to fish imported from Europe.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: June 17, 2020, 09:03:51 pm »

For what I heard thst was more rumor than confirmed. Chopping blocks tested positive. Not fish

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: June 18, 2020, 04:16:35 am »

In the Netherlands there were issues as well at meat plants. Here it was mostly caused because most of the workers are laborers from eastern europe or elsewhere who live in cramped conditions and travel to work in small vans, where they are easily infected.
People want their cheap hamburgers though, its BBQ season.
And they they are not even looking at the real labour force in slaughterhouses.  Most labourers there are illegal immigrants (uitgeprocedeerde asielzoekers) from Africa. The Polish labourers are just hired to keep up appearances of legal hiring.

The problem with inspections of meat plants is that they are announced beforehand. So yeah, when the inspectors come and check, the illegal immigrants all have a day off and aren't there.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 04:20:21 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 459