Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423841 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because for some reason these things appeal to me, I'm well versed in the daily madness of American, British, and German SovCits. It's glorious stuff, the German ones think that the German Empire still legally exists and they are citizens of it.
What about the British ones?
I'm fairly sure that the last thing they want to exist, and think they are a citizen of, is the German Empire...

:P

edit: It's a useful thing to remember about The City Of London and The City Of Westminster in a relevent pub quiz situation (especially 'Pointless'-style rounds). For example "The Reform Act of 1832 drew a line under the prior common practice of single small settlements returning two MPs to Parliament, as well as rapidly growing cities such as Manchester being a virtually unrepresented territory within the whole of the two-MP constituency that covered the whole of Lancashire. But what was the last year in which one MP was elected to represent an area encompassing two modern cities?". The answer, as you should realise, is of course 2019...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:08:49 pm by Starver »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Jesus wept, I have my uncle spreading anti-mask propaganda in facebook. It's possible he didnt read what he shared. But even so
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Next he will mail you some black market HCQ in order to protect you against the disease of liberalism.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One thing I decided to look up is whether HCQ affects testosterone. Sure enough

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9080720/

Chloroquine phosphate and its analogue hydroxychloroquine are used on long term basis as anti-inflammatory drugs in the treatment of a multitude of chronic diseases. In the present work the dose of the drug was calculated and given to albino rats in the usual low therapeutic regimen used in man. This work has shown that chloroquine depresses testosterone secretion in a progressive manner which increased the longer the duration of treatment, sperm count was also decreased,

They're always concerned about there being testosterone-depleting substances in tap water turning the frikkin' frogs gay so it might be a good idea to find a good source and craft this into a social media post. Also note:

At the same time this work emphasizes the need of further study of the reversibility of the pathological lesions in the male genital tract after more prolonged administration of the drug than the three months period adopted in the present work.

The stuff causes long term dickrot basically, if used continuously, as it would if you were using it as some sort of general shield against Covid.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 06:36:40 pm by Reelya »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

Next he will mail you some black market HCQ in order to protect you against the disease of liberalism.

Well, it would be a nice gesture from his uncle to do that at least  ;D
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

He's more of the mystical kumbaya sort than comservative. But otherwise its entirely in-character to improvise "alternative medicine" shit he reads about.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does it have adverse effects on females? Or have there only been studies on males?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cross posting, Texas Congressman Louie Gohmert, who refused to wear a mask tests positive for Covid. Nancy Pelosi has now mandated masks to be worn on the floor.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

I heard a whole city in England declared itself sovereign from the crown, such that even the Queen has to ask permission to enter
It was declared so, but not by them. William the Conqueror granted them a charter to allow them to keep some of their traditions in gratitude for allowing him into the city (the second time; the first time he was unable to breach the Thames river; so he simply didn't, and encircled the city without significant opposition, until the Anglo-Saxon nobility saw the writing on the wall and surrendered). This is distinct from a treaty with quid-pro-quo, "X for Y", and more along the lines of "Well you gave me X; you didn't really have a choice in the manner but I'm pleased all the same, and so I've decided to give you Y because I'm just such a nice individual." Which is the difference between a deal between two peer and a deal between a warden and a prisoner.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3849 on: July 30, 2020, 05:03:57 am »

If you travel for work often you'll be doing it without family or friends. You're alone and you have to makedo. I did and survived, so if the choice was between being alone or being dead I'd do it again.
Without family or friends is not the same as alone.  Colleagues, employers, customers, those are all social contacts as well.  Or do you work a job where you totally don't interact with anyone at all?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

William the Conqueror was quite prepared to let traditions continue, as evidenced by the continued use of Old English in written records.

Until the North rose against him and he marched north, slaughtering every man he found and burning every building.

Then he got tetchy and confiscated the English lords' lands, instead giving them to Normans.

At the same time written records, strangely, become French and Latin.  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19: Ride the Wave, Dude! Edition
« Reply #3851 on: July 30, 2020, 05:44:14 am »

If you travel for work often you'll be doing it without family or friends. You're alone and you have to makedo. I did and survived, so if the choice was between being alone or being dead I'd do it again.
Without family or friends is not the same as alone.  Colleagues, employers, customers, those are all social contacts as well.  Or do you work a job where you totally don't interact with anyone at all?
Considering we´re talking about people in a nursing home, they interact with nurses too. So they are not "alone" either.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile

Because for some reason these things appeal to me, I'm well versed in the daily madness of American, British, and German SovCits. It's glorious stuff, the German ones think that the German Empire still legally exists and they are citizens of it.

I at times have strong urge to occupy some farmland somewhere and declare every legal action post 1525 null and void due to the king no longer being an elected official.

Through in some pseudolegal brain farts about "urminnes hävd" (basically "by right of ancient memory/custom", a real legal concept in Swedish juridicia, most often invoked in the defense of commons and such) and the illegality of dismantling the odal-system (basically a custom that land that had been in a family for a certain number of generations was not allowed to be seized over defaulting at debts or taxes -- this is basically what makes subsistence living impossible in Sweden these days (and this was the literal intention of the law change, to drive poor farmers out from the countryside and into the cities for the sake of cheap industrial workforce)) in the light of Sweden's promise to respect the laws and customs of native peoples (Swedes are the natives of southern Sweden after all).

And then just live out my life completely alone, angrily shouting at everyone who comes close, feeling perfectly justified in my own deluded little mind.

Sigh. It's a honeyous dream indeed.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does it have adverse effects on females? Or have there only been studies on males?

Medical studies are usually exclusively or predominately males. Which is also related to unreliable dosage and side-effect information for women. I'm sure there's a reason, and I'm sure they didn't compare ti to the downsides.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The general reason is that though there is no standard man, with a particular level of biological activity across various markers, they do tend to be consistent within themselves so confounding factors like testosterone levels can be evened out without too much trouble if they're interacting. OTOH, female-specific biology virtually runs on ever-varying levels of hormones, to put it crudely. If it's not something specifically meant to work within/upon that system, it's so much easier to not try to rule out the changing effects of the cycle from the changing effects of the candidate drug. Though this obviously leads to under-testing oestragen/lack-of-androgen interactions, clinical interactions with standard contraceptive medications, different ranges of BMI, etc.

(It is not helped that far more men tend to put themselves forward for Phase 1 than women. Or so it used to be, for several easily explainable reasons, and it probably has not changed. So, even if curating your random pool of volunteers to get things as balanced as you want, you're going to get an imbalance. Especially when you know you need to assign a disproportionately greater number of the relevent subset to the female-only cohort for those occasions that this is the entire point...)

Plus (post-thalidomide, especially, though that was a different type of failure) precautionarily stating "not to be taken during pregnancy/possibly pregnancy" all the way to the consumer-packaging level, without necessarily having any reason to believe it's an issue.

It's a bit of a mess, but born of over-caution rather than oherwise. And I'd never suggest under-caution, but then I'm not in that business at the moment (and never was anywhere near where I'd influence these things) so you don't need to rely on me to circle that particular square.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 459