Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423711 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Mutating into COVID-21 Edition
« Reply #4890 on: January 17, 2021, 07:05:12 pm »

Some  religious folks being thick rather. I file it on the same category as nutty christians refusing the vaccine because "it's made of fetuses". Not true, and even if it was, we are in the middle of a fucking pandemic.  I'm fairly sure islamic religious scholars tend to make exceptions to dietary taboos in life or death situations.

Assuming it's even true, that is. This smells of an "I heard that..."
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 07:06:59 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: January 17, 2021, 07:11:48 pm »

Yup. Earlier today my mom reiterated that she still believes the virus is a chemical weapons test. Of course, she refuses to get the vaccine once it becomes available.

Think she'll get sick once I do get it? Because I intend to at some point.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: January 17, 2021, 07:27:12 pm »

(Wales was merged into the English crown between the 1284 annexation and the official 1536 'Union' that was basically taking over. The previous royalty of Wales was basically taken out of circulation (though there's always rumours about heirs) with Edward Iand then you had the old "Prince Of Wales" thing done by the various Plantaganets.

Scotland and EnglandAndWales merged with James VI of Scotland assuming the English crown (then being James I of England) in 1603.  The prior 'personal union' with the Lordship/Kingdom of Ireland was quite a bit more messier to integrate (and, later, to deintegrate), some might argue.)

I haven't seen much about who is stirring up the beef/pork thing (only that someone is, and efforts are being made to prove otherwise), but I'm as inclined to believe that it's internal 'elements' (who do or do not believe in the truth, either way, but want to stir things up either way and probably convinced their own close cadre of 'useful idiots' as the first step in multiplying the message) as external agitators.  For one thing, even behind the pseudonimity of social media, it's going to be a less convincing message from 'your average skinhead' than 'the kind of person you might go to mosque/temple/whatever with'.

But until I see actual examples of who such provocative sources actually are, it's a completely open question without any good answers.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: January 17, 2021, 09:02:14 pm »

Not really a "colony." Britain is a union of England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland.

I can't believe you've done this.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: January 17, 2021, 09:08:07 pm »

How can any place that has a dragon on their flag not be fictional?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: January 17, 2021, 10:22:14 pm »

Cofiwch Dryweryn!

...but, in actual UK Covid news, apparently there's a repeat of the 1857 Indian Rebellion situaton. Some people have apparently been spreading lies that the vaccine contains beef and/or pork product, causing a higher than expected number of refusals to partake amongst the related ethnic groups.

Which is wild, because how even would you make the vaccine out of pork? Or meat?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: January 17, 2021, 11:27:11 pm »

Growth medium (for animal cells) is made from meat products.

However, vaccine should not be made from such things.  Yeast should be sufficient for most tasks in mRNA synthesis, no?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: January 18, 2021, 05:23:38 am »

I'm fairly sure islamic religious scholars tend to make exceptions to dietary taboos in life or death situations.

Yes indeed they do. Diabetics are exempt from ramadan fasting, and muslims are allowed to consume alcohol that is part of a medical prescription (since there's quite a few medicines which come in alcohol solution)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:25:36 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: January 18, 2021, 07:29:16 am »

Cofiwch Dryweryn!

...but, in actual UK Covid news, apparently there's a repeat of the 1857 Indian Rebellion situaton. Some people have apparently been spreading lies that the vaccine contains beef and/or pork product, causing a higher than expected number of refusals to partake amongst the related ethnic groups.

Which is wild, because how even would you make the vaccine out of pork? Or meat?

Fanatics with a persecution complex have an ability to convince themselves of the strangest things. I am sure you're already familiar with a ton of examples from your American home garden, both regarding vaccines and other things ;)

I'm fairly sure islamic religious scholars tend to make exceptions to dietary taboos in life or death situations.

Yes indeed they do. Diabetics are exempt from ramadan fasting, and muslims are allowed to consume alcohol that is part of a medical prescription (since there's quite a few medicines which come in alcohol solution)

If all religious people gave heed to what the reasonable theologians say as much as they do the extremist ones the world undoubtedly be a much better place.

Also, I'm not sure how correctly I'm recalling this, but I seem to remember that there was (or used to be) already an aversion against vaccinations among Muslims in Africa based on a fairly extremest interpretation of their "do not defile the body" rule?

Edit: Among extremist groups, that is
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 07:31:02 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: January 18, 2021, 07:47:21 am »

The numbers for those are insignificant compared to the number of (non-extremist, your average Joe) Africans, who refuse the vaccin because they think it's a white hoax to sterilise them.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: January 18, 2021, 12:48:38 pm »

Don't know how it goes in the rest of the world but in Indonesia the (Sinovac) vaccine was declared halal by their religious authorities a week or so ago.
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/asia-pacific/indonesia-muslim-body-declares-chinese-vaccine-halal/2103519
Indonesia’s top Muslim body on Friday declared China’s Sinovac vaccine for COVID-19 halal, or permissible under Islam.
...the decision was taken based on a plenary session discussing the ingredients and production processes for the coronavirus vaccine made by the Chinese company, Sinovac Lifescience Co.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: January 18, 2021, 05:12:44 pm »

Some good news, further investigation could not find a significant correlation between the 33 deaths in Norway and vaccination with Moderna. The 33 were all so frail already that it could just have well been anything else that proved them fatal. The investigation could not completely rule out the possibility that for some, it was the last push, but saw no reason to stop using the vaccin for the elderly.
The Norse government has added a mild warning to the prescription that the vaccin might not be safe for the very frail.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: January 19, 2021, 04:42:50 pm »

Two more cases where I work, one confirmed; one "probable". A sizable group of people are very upset about how management is handling it. On the one hand, management so far seems like it's just putting on a show of trying to uphold health regulations. On the other hand, the very same people who are upset are the same group of people who are largely ignoring the health regulations in the first place.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: January 19, 2021, 11:14:55 pm »

The numbers for those are insignificant compared to the number of (non-extremist, your average Joe) Africans, who refuse the vaccin because they think it's a white hoax to sterilise them.

Which, given history, isn't an unreasonable concern. Which company sold sickle cell medicines to kids in Africa that were contaminated with HIV, because they couldn't sell them in the US/Europe?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4904 on: January 20, 2021, 06:31:51 am »

Bugger me sideways so many symptomatic people using the london underground
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 459