Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 421414 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread: COVID-19:Big Pharma Shenanigans Edition
« Reply #5445 on: April 15, 2021, 11:04:39 am »

Are those 250 million doses for the entire EU?
No, just for the Netherlands. The plan is to give every Dutch citizen 15 shots.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: April 15, 2021, 12:19:18 pm »

Regardless of my general "I'm not a priority" attitude, and separately from my GP contacting me[1] I am sitting within the lowest decade range allowed to be booking one for no other reason, and I know where there's a vaccination centre near me[2] so I went to the appropriate website. There's apparently actually bookable slots tomorrow (which are bad for me, due to extended commitments around the whole weekend) and onwards. So, I thought, why not? If they can use footfall, I'll fall my own feet in their direction. With all AMs and PMs, for the next few days, except Monday PM (which would have been perfect to fit into what I was already doing, but that'd be too much to ask...), Tuesday looked most workable.

Click ick click. Booking details, then contact details then... "The slot is no longer available, start again".

Same slot looked available, on the go-round, so tried it again, contact details... "The slot is no longer available".

Ok, redo, moved the slot a bit (further away from the obvious untried-because-unavailable bits of the day, obviously in demand, and a lot more times within the new range chosen)... "The slot is no longer...".

Again, for a couple of hours more distant. "The slot is..."

It'll wait.

I'll either talk to my GP after all (don't really want to bother them, I've seen the queues outside they sometimes seem to have when I pass) or give the national site-booker another go next week. Still time to (theoretically) get the first and then the second one in before mid-July[3]

((Yes, I'd be happy talking to a receptionist in person - discouraged as it might be these days - or booking online... but I'm reluctant to call a poor phone-drone tasked to handle these things, which is what I know I'll generally get if I try to do it telephonically. I can see the problem with my logic and reasoning, but that's me for ya...))

[1] I haven't been to the doctor's for best part of a decade (and that was for an injury the receptionist thought I better go to A&E for; the time before was in the '00s.), I'm not actually sure if I'm prominant enough on their radar...

[2] I'll walk there and back, make it an afternoon out...

[3] For the only fixed event that happens (if it happens) this year, for which I'd be upset if participation depends upon/tends towards safely-certified participants. A lot of water yet to flow under that bridge, but it's something to aspire towards.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: April 15, 2021, 12:27:31 pm »

Presented as 'great news!'... Pfizer / Moderna vaccines protect those vaccinated for half a year! Super!!!! Hurray!

This does ofcourse mean that I will never get vaccinated. By the time I can apply for it, they have to start anew with vaccinating the health care workers, high risk groups and elderly first.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: April 15, 2021, 01:05:19 pm »

No, protect for at least half a year. It's not known whether the protection disappears after half a year, yet.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: April 15, 2021, 01:15:17 pm »

How is it that the covid vaccine is good for 6 months while every other vaccine is good for decades if not a life time?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5450 on: April 15, 2021, 01:20:21 pm »

We only know about the lasting for decades part because the vaccine itself has been around for decades. Since you can get COVID once and then again like 3 months later, there's concerns that training the immune system doesn't confer lasting immunity, especially because coronaviruses in general mutate rapidly.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5451 on: April 15, 2021, 01:23:18 pm »

The longevity of a vaccine is determined by two factors - how long your memory B cells hold onto the trained antibody response and how quickly the pathogen can mutate new structures to invalidate the previous antibodies. The latter is why the influenza vaccine only lasts a year and only has 50% effectiveness - influenza virons have an incredibly rapid structure shifting, making the antibodies you developed against it of limited effectiveness or even useless. Conversely, something like polio retains an antibody response for around 30 years and doesn't mutate rapidly, making the vaccine extremely effective against it.

Both of those failings would be very bad, if they were true for covid. Unfortunately, the six months figure does line up quite well with previous reports of double infections with covid and with the antibody dropoff figures we have.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5452 on: April 15, 2021, 01:31:30 pm »

Whoo, the "site pain" side effect is kicking in much harder after a nap. Arm be feeling pretty fucked up right now.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #5453 on: April 15, 2021, 02:16:42 pm »

Presented as 'great news!'
...to shareholders
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5454 on: April 20, 2021, 04:10:03 am »

The producers of the Russian Sputnik vaccin are advertising their product illegaly in the Netherlands on Twitter. Not only that, they are adding half-truths and lies about the other vaccins with their advertisements.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5455 on: April 20, 2021, 08:24:42 am »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5456 on: April 20, 2021, 09:16:00 am »

Standing here waiting to get Moderna #1.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5457 on: April 20, 2021, 09:57:08 am »

I got double pfizerd. First one no problems, second one I felt the pfain

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5458 on: April 20, 2021, 10:15:43 am »

Pfizted
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5459 on: April 20, 2021, 04:46:22 pm »

The producers of the Russian Sputnik vaccin are advertising their product illegaly in the Netherlands on Twitter.

Initially read this as "Tinder" and had a little chuckle

Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 459