Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 423795 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition
« Reply #6825 on: February 23, 2023, 09:53:51 pm »

And as for talk of transmission vectors: There are two known primary mechanisms of covid transmission.

The first is direct transmission: short range, effectively line of sight person to person transmission via large droplets that are too large to aerosolize. This is the primary mechanism of outdoor spread, and can largely be eliminated by mediocre masks worn correctly.

The second is aerosolized transmission: potentially longer range, sticking around in air for multiple hours. The key here is ventilation and volume: a proper ventilation system can slowly remove covid particles from an enclosed space, either through venting air or properly maintained HEPA filters. Likewise, larger places with good interior airflow and movement of people are better, as it prevents airborne covid particles from building up enough density anywhere enough to cause infection. Masks can help with this, but you're going to want a well fitted N95 mask. These can filter covid quite effectively, so long as the fit keeps the air moving through the mask instead of via holes around the sides. If worn properly an N95 will drop your odds of getting a covid infection to 25% of what it would otherwise be, and also reduce odds of you spreading it to others to 1/6 your original odds. Notably, if everyone in a room is wearing N95s properly, this means the odds of it spreading are about 4% of what they would otherwise be. Cloth masks are useless against this transmission vector, and basic disposable surgical masks are mediocre. This btw is why everyone kept getting covid after taking their 90% effective first covid vaccine and deciding it was okay to remove their 90% effective masks :P Gotta do both if you actually don't want covid.

As for surface transmission, a big deal was made about it early on before they knew a little of the basics about the spread of the virus and speculated it would be relevant. It was not. Despite searching the topic for years, I have yet to see a single source suggesting even a single case study of transmission occurring outside a (much higher risk) hospital situation which was determined to be caused by surface contamination.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6826 on: February 24, 2023, 04:09:34 am »

Anecdotally: I always wear an N99 (barring when eating or drinking) and I've not had covid once.  Fwiw
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: February 24, 2023, 08:33:42 am »

I got both Swine Flu and Avian Flu the first time they came around. 0/10, do not recommend.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: February 24, 2023, 09:15:17 am »

It finally happened, I finally caught covid. Ducked it for three goddamn years.

Probably after sharing a train with people for forty hours, since our primary engine, backup engine, and backup backup engine all failed in stupid fashion. Do Amish people still have vaccine hesitancy? There were a lot on the train...

Good thing I work remotely, but it's still going to be a pain in the ass to muddle through work today...

RE Swine Flu: Yeah, it sucked. I caught it and it sucked. 40% of my high school class caught it and were out sick for a week there. Would avoid in the future.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Somehow STILL a thing Edition
« Reply #6829 on: February 27, 2023, 04:33:35 pm »

Large droplets survive longer, with payload, to settle on surfaces (including faces) for further contact transmission.

COVID hasn't been shown to readily transmit from surfaces. (This article claims risk 1000 times less than airborne.) The overwhelming majority of cases are from poorly ventilated places where airborne particles saturate to the point where you're constantly breathing them in. Large droplets can't do that, since they quickly fall to the floor.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6830 on: March 01, 2023, 02:55:23 am »

When working I talk to people at close range. Plus even if what you are saying is true, crying wolf and all that for past several years, +1million death toll etc. I'll just wear a mask when the covid map isn't green in my spot, it's easy for me. I'm sorry if it's not for you.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: March 01, 2023, 09:44:49 pm »

Didn't even know they made an "N-99."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6832 on: March 01, 2023, 10:03:46 pm »

N, R, and P 99 all seem to be about the same thing; 99% minimum efficiency respirators. There's a 100 tier, too, that's 99.97% efficient. Mostly seems to be getting up to the point there's active filters of some sort or another going on, they seem to generally have the lil' insert thingummies on 'em. They're apparently notably less comfortable than a n95, and largely overkill for general use to boot.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: March 02, 2023, 05:06:05 am »

But how does a military gas mask rate when compared to a N95?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: March 02, 2023, 08:25:18 am »

Are there any reuseable n95ers? I just did a glancing cost check and they seem to be sold in the price range of 10-30 Crowns per mask ($1-3) here, and 20 crowns per day isn't a negligible reoccurrent cost.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6835 on: March 02, 2023, 09:48:49 am »

The bird flu reached the lakes around my area. Killed a nesting couple of swans and the duck herds have thinned greatly, though otherwise the geese and swan population at large appears very robust

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6836 on: March 02, 2023, 09:59:00 am »

None of you seem to understand . The geese are not trapped out there with the bird flu. The bird flu is trapped out there with them.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: March 02, 2023, 10:10:07 am »

Are there any reuseable n95ers? I just did a glancing cost check and they seem to be sold in the price range of 10-30 Crowns per mask ($1-3) here, and 20 crowns per day isn't a negligible reoccurrent cost.
Most of them I've noticed are noted as being reusable at least four or five times before it starts being a concern, iirc, especially if you let them air out for a day or two between uses.

You might want to be extra careful if you've been in a particularly high risk environment (i.e. inside a hospital or whatever), but for day to day use some reuse seems to be okay.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6838 on: March 02, 2023, 10:47:47 am »

None of you seem to understand . The geese are not trapped out there with the bird flu. The bird flu is trapped out there with them.
For real, the geese actually seem happier now a lot of the aggressive swans are dead

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: March 03, 2023, 05:13:35 am »

The geese want you to think the bird flu killed the swans, but in reality the geese killed the swans.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 459