Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 231688 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #4695 on: May 18, 2024, 07:03:59 am »

Lets look around the warm room.

You are jumped by a pair of demons.  Two of them, small and dog-like come out to attack you.  They're far too weak to bother you, but you know that where you see one demon, there are many demons.  Two weak ones are likely only the beginning.

Still, you explore the warm room, the demon chamber.  It's larger than it looked, with the smooth cracked floor rising and falling over a distance, and there being no less than three slides leading further down.  They look navigable, being made of smoothed rock with a few broken pieces, but there are certainly more demons down there, and you remain at significantly reduced health, with Willis out of mana and Sessha a bit low.

Are you sure you want to continue?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4696 on: May 18, 2024, 09:59:10 pm »

Hm. Maybe we should retreat for now.

Is there anywhere else left to explore?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4697 on: May 19, 2024, 05:44:13 pm »

Hm. Maybe we should retreat for now.

Is there anywhere else left to explore?
+1
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4698 on: May 20, 2024, 06:42:48 pm »

In general?  Two main places.  There is a long gallery near where the darkness was, and this other chamber with demons.  Both of them you'll really need to move camp for, as they're quite a lot of crawling/climbing/etc away from where you sleep.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4699 on: May 21, 2024, 01:05:40 am »

So shadow kobolds or demons. Hrm.

Move camp to near the demons, then rest up and sally forth in the "morning."
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4700 on: May 21, 2024, 01:54:26 am »

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: May 21, 2024, 03:50:36 am »

+1
+1

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: May 21, 2024, 09:18:06 am »

There are no real good places to camp closer to the demons.  No place with good water, no place with plenty of room, but the bottom of the Jacathium pit is just about acceptable.  You do need to spend quite some time going back to base camp to collect dropped supplies, and it takes some time to move enough water from the last camp.  It's two days in all before you're ready to explore the demon area.

In the meantime you've regained a total of two max HP.. it seems there wasn't enough proper rest that first day of exploring to recover a HP.  Max HP counts are..

Willis has 47/77
Trence has 90/100
Sessha has 153/184

Now.. when it comes to the demon area, are you exploring deep or are you exploring wide?  If you explore deep, you're going to try to follow one branch to its end.  If you are exploring wide, you are going to try and explore all branches to a depth of one, and then continuing from there.

The former will have you explore more space, the latter will have you explore less space, but remain safer.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: May 21, 2024, 07:16:19 pm »

Damn the torpedoes and deep we go!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4704 on: May 22, 2024, 12:38:38 am »

Damn the torpedoes and deep we go!
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4705 on: May 24, 2024, 02:35:55 am »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: May 26, 2024, 08:03:53 pm »

Going down into the warm room once again, the party keeps a close watch for demons.

At first, there are none.  The first slide down leads to a broad chamber, smooth in the middle from many feet, with the sides still showing grit from native stone.  The demons have been down here a long time, and in great numbers.  In one corner, there are some drops.  A demon died there, dropping 1x Brown Demonhide.  You loot it, and move on.

The second chamber splits.  The smooth path splits in two, one going through a more narrow tunnel, distant light visible through tiny holes in the wall.  The main path continues downwards.  After a few turns, small holes open up to a large sulfurous chamber, like tiny windows of orange light.  You're not nearly deep enough for magma, but who knows what odd lights demons use in their great pits?

This turn ends in some long-unused machinery, now a pile of rusted iron slag.  Nothing here for a party of high level adventurers.  It splits again here, with a smoothed hole going into a dark room full of uneven shapes.. a peek reveals them to be broken shelving and piles of random bits.  Probably something of value, but it's a much more poorly curated junkroom than Uncle's.

Further down..

You come across some proper demons.  This room has a spring and a pool of water, all colourful from who knows how many mineral salts.  There are another three or four passages here, and peering at the edge, no less than a dozen non-humanoid quadrupedal demons, sitting on the rough ground, staring at each other.  One is up, with its head down, looking into the depths.  Another is scraching itself like a dog.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: May 26, 2024, 09:12:14 pm »

Do demons want anything other than to eat us, as monsters are wont to do?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: May 27, 2024, 01:36:50 am »

Not really.  They're just much, much more organized about the eating and destruction of people.  They really are monsters, it's just that they're organized, and once they start showing up, more will spawn until someone burns them out or they burst to the surface in a giant orgy of destruction.

The Four Swords of Valterre saved their city from an army of demons, along with a large number of allied/controlled monsters from dungeons and the wilderness.  There almost certainly aren't that many down here, but there could be anywhere from about fifty to ten thousand.

Not all of them are intelligent, but there will be intelligent ones around.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: May 28, 2024, 02:07:34 am »

Probably bet not to poke the demons right yet so instead I say we go dig through the junk room.
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316