Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 116

Author Topic: Magnum Opus: Welcome Home.  (Read 124168 times)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus
« Reply #330 on: June 19, 2021, 03:29:48 pm »

(So that's what it means by elementals producing their own element. Seems fittingly morbid. On a similar note, how does the slow healing by exposure work for elementals? Does Bob just need to wear belts, or does he need to eat them? Or does he just absorb them into his body or something?)

"No pain, no gain." Bob says as he admires his new belt. He sets it over his shoulder as he goes to investigate the area near the wheel. Hand holds don't break off by themselves. Well, maybe they did. It was a Mage's tower.

Go investigate the area around the wheel for anything of interest by looking through the eye of the Needle. Bob hopes the missing hand hold is a clue and not just lodged in the chest of the body on the floor.

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Seclusion
« Reply #331 on: June 19, 2021, 08:54:56 pm »

”Interesting bedroom.”
Grey goes through Elias’s desk and end table and grabs anything interesting.

He also Maintains an air of awareness to see if anything happens.

Spoiler: Grey (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 05:10:10 am by Fire and Glory »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 20, 2021, 02:54:52 am »

"Hey Elizabeth come here and lets look at this stuff rather than what everyone else is."
Get Elizabeth to follow me over to the swords and axes, also grab the nicest looking sword take while I'm there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Aggressively Silly
« Reply #333 on: June 20, 2021, 09:48:35 am »

Youare offers the respect due to a being mourned by a mage, kneeling and placing his needle in front of him before bending forwards and pressing his forehead to the ground. He gets up, backs away, and speaks quietly to one of the candles:

"I'm a homunculus, here on covenant business. May I ask you a few questions?"

If the answer is positive, he enquires as to the last time Elias visited the tomb, and who is actually buried there.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)
One wheel short of a wagon

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 20, 2021, 05:21:40 pm »

((You probably shouldn't know about the tomb and that anyone is buried there. Only one of us has gone there and hasn't had a chance to report about it.))

Once the others have done their bit, if no concrete information is gotten about the cause of death, gently roll the corpse onto it's back and inspect for wounds and weapons.

Spoiler: Genesis (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Magnum Opus: Home sweet home
« Reply #335 on: June 20, 2021, 08:27:34 pm »

Spoiler: Drip (click to show/hide)

Drip is a door now!

Someone should go through!

Poke the dead mage guy to see how dead he is.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #336 on: June 20, 2021, 11:36:09 pm »

Spoiler: Drip (click to show/hide)

Drip is a door now!

Someone should go through!

Poke the dead mage guy to see how dead he is.

You walk over to the body and give it a poke on the back of the head. Cold. Yep, Dead.

What happened here?  Have you seen Alex?  We were sent by the Magi to check up on him.”, The Speaker asks the corpse as he peers at it through the eye of his needle.

Spoiler: The Speaker (click to show/hide)

I'm going to assume you mean to speak magically with it.
[1][+1 fate]
The corpse doesn't respond. But the silence is something beyond simply not talking. It is the sound of death itself. You stagger backwards and fall over, your body numb and the feeling that you're dead filling your mind. You know that you are alive, but you FEEL that you are dead. You struggle to move, but feel like you can't. You're dead after all.

(So that's what it means by elementals producing their own element. Seems fittingly morbid. On a similar note, how does the slow healing by exposure work for elementals? Does Bob just need to wear belts, or does he need to eat them? Or does he just absorb them into his body or something?)

"No pain, no gain." Bob says as he admires his new belt. He sets it over his shoulder as he goes to investigate the area near the wheel. Hand holds don't break off by themselves. Well, maybe they did. It was a Mage's tower.

Go investigate the area around the wheel for anything of interest by looking through the eye of the Needle. Bob hopes the missing hand hold is a clue and not just lodged in the chest of the body on the floor.

Spoiler: Bob the Belter (click to show/hide)

[5]
(You'd need to have a lot of belts on or around. Anime protagonist level belts. Or a belt bath tub)

You go check on the wheel and the area around it.  The first thing you notice is that both the wheel and the the ground around it are bloody. Not huge pools of blood or anything, but there's some spray on the wheel itself and droplets on the ground. The blood spray seems to be most clustered around the broken section of the wheel. The inner edges of the break aren't bloody though, indicating that the blood sprayed onto the wheel and THEN the piece was broken off. It looks like it was twisted off actually.

You check through the eye of the needle and find that the wheel is suffused with the same twisting root magic as all the animated objects around here.

((You probably shouldn't know about the tomb and that anyone is buried there. Only one of us has gone there and hasn't had a chance to report about it.))

Once the others have done their bit, if no concrete information is gotten about the cause of death, gently roll the corpse onto it's back and inspect for wounds and weapons.

You carefully roll the corpse onto its back. Elias was an old man, at least in his 70s, maybe older.  Your first impression is that he's extraordinary bird-like: huge curving nose, gaunt face, half bald with long unruly black hair in the back, thin hands, long finger nails. He looks like a vulture or maybe an ibis in human form. His eyes, though cloudy, have an inhuman yellow-orange color to them. He looks...well...completely wrong for this place. He looks like an evil vizier or scheming villain, not the kind of man who would construct all this. Even his clothing, a sort of long robe of glimmering iridescent feathers, seems wrong.   You don't know what you were expecting the master of this place to look like...but in your head he was much softer and kinder looking than this severe avian caricature.

You check him over but the cause of death is pretty obvious: there's a hole in his chest. The feather robe has been jammed straight into the hole by the force of whatever made it and blood has poured out and welled up into the feathers. Its not fresh, but still a bit damp. Fits with the timeline of having happened sometime in the last day or so. How large the hole is or what made it isn't clear, but it seems like whatever did it might still be in there: you can see a bit of something poking out.

"Hey Elizabeth come here and lets look at this stuff rather than what everyone else is."
Get Elizabeth to follow me over to the swords and axes, also grab the nicest looking sword take while I'm there.

[4] Before Elizabeth can get a good look at what's happening you pick her up- she's only a foot tall or so- and carry her over to inspect the weapons. [3] There are a lot of weapons here and you honestly can't really tell them apart. They all look like...sharp metal things. You pick one at random and hold it out in front of you, swinging it a few times to test it. Its...a sword alright.

”Interesting bedroom.”
Grey goes through Elias’s desk and end table and grabs anything interesting.

He also Maintains an air of awareness to see if anything happens.

An air of awareness would mean you appear to be aware. Perhaps simply maintain your awareness? Though...if that goes wrong you might just lose all awareness and go comatose. Sounds like a fun game.

[4]
You go to the little bedroom area and start rifling through the drawers and papers to see if anything interesting shows up. There's no nice diary filled with all his inner most thoughts, sadly. Most of the papers appear to be correspondences with various people. You read through a few. Village leader thanking him for helping dig a well...a request to help clear a road...request to book passage on the tower for traveling across the desert...thanks for work on the construction of a wall.  They all seem to be requests for help or thanks for it. You don't recognize any names or any locations mentioned, but it seems he's been a lot of places and helped with a lot of things. Seems well liked by the locals.

Aside from that there are three other things of note. The first is an old pendant. Silver, though tarnished with age. It resembles a warhammer with a twisting design on its ends.  The second is a letter in a language you don't understand. Its written on velum, with harsh, angular symbols. Third, is a cloth doll. Its visibly quite old and simple, but apparently well taken care of. It was in the drawer in the end table, all by itself. The patterns on its dress do not match the patterns on the hammer or the throne or indeed anything in this castle. They're more swirly.

after closing the door behind us, look at the body through the needle's eye, then at the weaponry to see if the wound matches any of them. Then look for a suicide note.
[5]
The wound is a puncture, but not by something sharp. The way the robe is bunched and pushed into the wound implies it wasn't pierced, it was dragged in when whatever bludgeoned its way into Elias's chest did so. Nothing on the shelves around here seems to fit that purpose. A quick check shows no suicide note. None near his body, none on the desk, bed or end table.

Youare offers the respect due to a being mourned by a mage, kneeling and placing his needle in front of him before bending forwards and pressing his forehead to the ground. He gets up, backs away, and speaks quietly to one of the candles:

"I'm a homunculus, here on covenant business. May I ask you a few questions?"

If the answer is positive, he enquires as to the last time Elias visited the tomb, and who is actually buried there.

Spoiler: sheet (click to show/hide)

You offer your respects before turning to the mourners. You ask them your question but they don't appear to be able to speak. Their heads are just fire, after all. But one does point, slowly, towards the wall across from the tree. A portrait is hanging there. It's hanging on the wall holding the first elevator and was hidden behind the boughs of the tree  from the other side; its only here that you finally see it. It is a large...actually huge if it can be so clearly seen from here, image of a man and a girl. The man is rather ugly and bird-like, in his 30s or maybe 40's, while the girl is probably around 10. Its not a sort of stuffy royal portrait, rather its of the two of them standing next to a tree in a field of flowers. The girl is closer, red brown hair flying as she runs through the flowers with the thoughtless happiness of a child. The man is further back, under the shade of the tree, quietly smiling. Despite first appearances, his smile is surprisingly warm and gentle. His affection and care can be felt even through a still image.

The brass toads, who had been slowly following along ever since the first level, finally hop over and reach Elias' body. They gather near it but don't move or interact with it in any way. They seem, to all the world, like normal toads. But as they sit and stare with amphibian aloofness a shudder runs through the entire tower. The tower, which until now had been slowly advancing across the sands, stops moving. A sound like a colossal bell rings out. It takes a moment to realize what it is: The giant toad is crying.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 21, 2021, 12:28:04 am »

From the descriptions of the scene and corpse, it sounds like the mage was thrust powerfully onto the wheel, impaling him, and then thrown into the room with the broken bit of the wheel still in his chest. Examine the object in his chest enough to verify this, then look out around and past the wheel for anything that might have caused a blow like that: loose rigging, a large golem, strange weather. Also, inspect the body for signs of magic other than the innate magic of this place, or magic that is innate, but has been twisted somehow. basically looking for whether the force that chucked the mage was magic, and if so, if it was part of this place or from an external source, like that witch we heard about. Also, cover the corpse with a sheet or blanket from the bed.

Also, just confirming: the Giant housefrog thing has been carrying us away from our conduit since we came aboard?

"We've determined the immediate cause of death, but we still have little idea what happened here. A magical duel? an accident? Some instable construct gone wild?

Grey, do you see any correspondence with the witch we heard about? Perhaps she had a request for Elias that he was unable to fulfill."

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 21, 2021, 01:37:12 am »

Quote from: Piecewise
Perhaps simply maintain your awareness? Though...if that goes wrong you might just lose all awareness and go comatose. Sounds like a fun game.
When you say it like that it doesn't seem like a very good idea...

Grey, do you see any correspondence with the witch we heard about? Perhaps she had a request for Elias that he was unable to fulfill."
”Yes, there's a letter here. But I can't read it.
Grey assesses the two all-tongues in the party, and seeing that one has fallen over, seemingly stone dead, he offers the letter to Debby.
"Can you figure out what that says?"

"There was a doll in the mage's end table. It doesn't look like it was manufactured here. If any of you enjoy rampant speculation, you could say that the witch planted it where Elias slept, where it gained some power over Elias, which the witch then used to kill him most violently. Possibly."

"I have a pendant here too. Who knows, maybe it was a lover's spat?"

Grey examines the pendant and the doll through the needle for signs of magic.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:40:25 am by Fire and Glory »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 21, 2021, 02:22:58 am »

"I'll try to see what it says, come on Elizabeth lets go see what that paper says."
Keep the sword, then take Elizabeth over to the desk while keeping her from seeing the body, and try to read that paper if reading it fails try talking to the paper to see what it says.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 03:21:05 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 21, 2021, 02:57:17 am »

"I'll try to see what it says, come on Elizabeth lets go see what that paper says."
Keep the sword, then take Elizabeth over to the desk while keeping her from seeing the body, and try to read that paper.
”Thought you could try talking to it instead, might be quicker."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 21, 2021, 03:20:34 am »

Keep the sword, then take Elizabeth over to the desk while keeping her from seeing the body, and try to read that paper.
”Thought you could try talking to it instead, might be quicker."
"Yeah that might work as well, I'll try it."

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 21, 2021, 06:33:56 pm »

Float up to the ceiling (we’re a ghost after all!).

So this is what it’s like to be dead.

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #343 on: June 22, 2021, 02:29:40 pm »

From the descriptions of the scene and corpse, it sounds like the mage was thrust powerfully onto the wheel, impaling him, and then thrown into the room with the broken bit of the wheel still in his chest. Examine the object in his chest enough to verify this, then look out around and past the wheel for anything that might have caused a blow like that: loose rigging, a large golem, strange weather. Also, inspect the body for signs of magic other than the innate magic of this place, or magic that is innate, but has been twisted somehow. basically looking for whether the force that chucked the mage was magic, and if so, if it was part of this place or from an external source, like that witch we heard about. Also, cover the corpse with a sheet or blanket from the bed.

Also, just confirming: the Giant housefrog thing has been carrying us away from our conduit since we came aboard?

"We've determined the immediate cause of death, but we still have little idea what happened here. A magical duel? an accident? Some instable construct gone wild?

(I assumed you guys left the conduit in the entry hall. It was kinda vague what you did with it so we'll go with that)

[5]
You walk to the wheel and look carefully around it. There are no big foot prints, nothing bent or knocked over, nothing hanging loose or swinging around. You walk out onto the tip of the balcony and look back into the room, trying to see if anything looks strange from this angle. And you notice two things. The first is what you initially think is a smudge of ink on the back of the wheel. The wheel is connected into the floor by a wooden pillar of sorts and on the back of that pillar is a small black mark.  You get closer and notice that its not ink or anything of that kind: its a fingerprint, a thumbprint by the look of it. Or rather its a burn or even a brand in the exact and highly detailed shape of a fingerprint. As though someone with a red hot thumb pressed it against the back of the wood here. You check it through your needle and see that the fingerprint brand has a very slight magic to it, a sort of hazy orange  that is slowly dissipating. Its not visible from anywhere but close up.

The second thing you notice is the blood between the wheel and the body. If he had been thrown, the blood would be all sprayed around, showing the momentum of the body. But this blood is droplets, nice and round or a bit smudged. The body would have to be moving very slowly for it to fall like this. Stumbling backwards maybe?  Maybe he wasn't immediately killed and managed to go a few paces before dropping.

You pull the blanket off the bed and cover the body with it: careful to lay it down as gently and directly as possible to prevent destroying any evidence.

Quote from: Piecewise
Perhaps simply maintain your awareness? Though...if that goes wrong you might just lose all awareness and go comatose. Sounds like a fun game.
When you say it like that it doesn't seem like a very good idea...

”Yes, there's a letter here. But I can't read it.
Grey assesses the two all-tongues in the party, and seeing that one has fallen over, seemingly stone dead, he offers the letter to Debby.
"Can you figure out what that says?"

"There was a doll in the mage's end table. It doesn't look like it was manufactured here. If any of you enjoy rampant speculation, you could say that the witch planted it where Elias slept, where it gained some power over Elias, which the witch then used to kill him most violently. Possibly."

"I have a pendant here too. Who knows, maybe it was a lover's spat?"

Grey examines the pendant and the doll through the needle for signs of magic.

You hand the letter to Debby before checking the Doll and the Pendent through the eye of the needle. The doll is completely mundane, not a hint of magic in it. The pendant has two kinds of magic layered in it. Through your needle it appears almost frozen with purple ice across its surface. But within that ice, and within the pendent itself is a little spark. A green mote blazing away.

Keep the sword, then take Elizabeth over to the desk while keeping her from seeing the body, and try to read that paper if reading it fails try talking to the paper to see what it says.
[2]
You look at the note. Nope, no idea what it says.
[4]
You hold the note out in both hands and ask it what it says. It says it will tell you, but only if you find it a nice book to be folded up inside.
[3]
You look around for the nearest book when you notice that Elizabeth isn't with you anymore. She's walking, slowly and very pensively, towards the blanket covering the body. Her little paws are held up by her mouth.
"What is...that..?" she whispers.

Float up to the ceiling (we’re a ghost after all!).

So this is what it’s like to be dead.

[1][+1 fate]
Corpses don't float into the air. You're not a ghost...you're just a corpse. Just...a corpse. Nothing. Nothing.

(Speaker is going to be the first person in one of my games to die of terminal psychosomatic dissociation if this keeps up)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 22, 2021, 03:19:17 pm »

((I am constantly torn between getting to the truth of the death and comforting and pacifying the mage's bereaved ... things. Well, I guess closure will help in the grieving process, if we don't end up having to stab everything.))

"Would one of you examine the body once more, through your needle, for traces of a hazy orange magic? Quickly! It is fading fast! I want ot know if there is any concentrated on his back, or if there is some concentrated elsewhere, as if something may have carried him there from here. Miss Foxington, please restrain yourself for now. Be patient until we can tell you more."

Scrolling back, I don't see a description of what lies beyond the balcony that the wheel is on (aside from the figurehead). Is it outside? Does the balcony overlook the mass of the Toad City, the landscape beyond, or something else? Examine the figurehead closely, especially for traces of the orange magic. Continue looking for the orange magic traces both around the balcony and inside the room.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 116